The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

I’m surely in the minority here but I absolutely adored Halloween Kills!
    I’m a huge fan of the franchise and I loved the 2018 movie. I can see why they made the creative choices they made with Kills and I loved every single one of them!
    It was a hoot to watch in the cinema. The audience I was with loved it too, there was a lot of cheers, screams and laughs. It over delivered in my opinion and I can’t wait for Halloween Ends. I’d implore all Halloween fans to check it out and to remember that it’s the second act in a three act story.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,869
    To go step into major spoiler territory, am I alone in thinking that:
    The deaths of Marion, Vanessa, and Marcus were really dumb? The way the sequence was staged and edited was so strange to me, and the kicking of the door into the gun making her shoot herself in the face was just really stupid.
  • Man I can't wait to watch Kills, I've been a big fan of all of them, except Resurrection and the Rob Zombie films.
    @TR007 I feel very much the same, glad to find I am not alone in here.

@Denbigh
    The score during that scene is one of my favorite tracks! Of course, the whole score was awesome. Marion’s death was full circle, not being able to get out of the car this time. Loved the car door kick / gun death, took me by surprise. Best of all, the scene had an incredible homage to Season of the Witch with the masks!
    @FoxRox Thats fantastic news. I’m glad to see someone else who enjoyed it.

@Denbigh That sequence lifted the roof in the cinema screening I was at. People loved that final kill.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Count me in as a fan of HK! I'm really digging this film. The only issue I may have with it is
    that it both celebrates, then condemns, then celebrates and then condemns the whole angry mob mentality,

a mentality which in this film I find pretty justified given the circumstances. Alas, the film
    seems to be drawing parallels to recent events in America,

and I don't need that in a Halloween film. Or perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Either way, I like the cast, the pacing, the music, the kills and the callbacks to the original, but I'm easily seduced by those anyway.
    I watched HK on streaming and thought it was passable. Nothing amazing. I liked the PTS, but disliked the climax of the movie and the dumb characters. For me, the soundtrack was the only outstanding feature.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Count me in as a fan of HK! I'm really digging this film. The only issue I may have with it is
    that it both celebrates, then condemns, then celebrates and then condemns the whole angry mob mentality,

a mentality which in this film I find pretty justified given the circumstances. Alas, the film
    seems to be drawing parallels to recent events in America,

and I don't need that in a Halloween film. Or perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Either way, I like the cast, the pacing, the music, the kills and the callbacks to the original, but I'm easily seduced by those anyway.
    Regarding the parallels to recent events in America, none of that was intentional on the part of the filmmakers as this film was shot in 2019, long before the Capitol riots, BLM marches and Covid protests. It’s just a strange case of life imitating art.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,267
    A ranking and some thoughts about another classic horror franchise:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
    The most fun, best-balanced entry between horror and comedy. Best Freddy Krueger depiction / performance, courtesy the legendary Robert Englund. Most likable characters, Nancy returning, great kills - it has it all.
    2. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Hard to beat the original classic. Nancy is the best girl, the plot is super fun and creative, and it’s filled to the brim with iconic moments.
    3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985)
    The most underrated of the series. Really enjoyed this one - great effects, great Freddy moments (probably his darkest), good characters, and themes ahead of its time.
    4. Wes Craven’s New Nightmare (1994)
    Really fun, meta horror piece. It was a welcome return for Craven in the director’s chair and did a great job with the humor and also a little more serious Freddy after the last few. Felt like a very nice, full circle ending to the original saga honestly, I consider it the last real film in a way.
    5. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
    Ridiculous, outrageous, and hilarious. I don’t know how “good” the film really is, but it is damn entertaining when the focus is on the two titans of horror, who each have some of their best depictions here from their respective franchises. The other characters and acting mostly suck, but when the fun gets going it really gets going. Englund at his most entertaining in his sendoff! I do root for Jason more given he’s a little more sympathetic.
    6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
    The last one I like in particular on the list. The horror aspect unfortunately starts to fade a tad in this entry, but there’s lots to love: lovable characters, a strong kill count, and genuinely funny moments. The series starts to lose some focus and gets a bit over the top here, but I still find it highly entertaining and a good entry.
    7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
    Getting closer to rough territory here. Super-Freddy is just plain bad, and the comedic aspects are taking even more hold here than in 4. I liked Alice returning and the concept of the unborn baby having nightmares - and also the driving kill was memorable. The effects are also particularly cool throughout this entry. Unfortunately the characters are less interesting this time around and the story can get pretty funky. But I still do like it, though it’s flawed.
    8. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
    Yikes. Not a lot to salvage from this one. Though there were some cracks in 5, the wheels really fall off the wagon here. Any semblance of horror is totally gone now, and the comedy is mostly too Looney Tunes. The moments about Freddy’s past are kind of interesting, and of course it’s never a dull moment when Englund is on screen, but there’s just not a lot to like here. Bad characters, bad story.
    9. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
    I’d say the placement is pretty interchangeable between these last two, but it feels more right to have the remake last. Jackie Earle Haley isn’t even a bad Freddy, but the fact they used all that CGI on him hurts it. The characters are pretty dull and seem to always be either under or over acting. The direction is very lacking. Just generally feels like a pointless film, with far too much retreading and everything having been done better the first time. A couple cool moments, but this is nothing to write home about.

Overall, I loved this series. I only really dislike the bottom 2, which is pretty remarkable for a horror series. Sometime I might rank Friday the 13th here too. It was a blast watching Freddy through October - still going to fit as much horror in as I can before the month is out!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I haven't seen all these movies, but those unexpected transitions from the waking world to the dream world are so interesting.

I like to see 2 ranked so highly-- that film is really scary, in particular, the bus scene and when Freddy "emerges" into the real world.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I haven't seen all these movies, but those unexpected transitions from the waking world to the dream world are so interesting.

I like to see 2 ranked so highly-- that film is really scary, in particular, the bus scene and when Freddy "emerges" into the real world.

I agree. The first was the only one I had seen for years, so being able to pick up the full set for cheap and marathon them all was a treat. And thank you - I love those parts. The bus opening was fantastic, and Freddy’s vicious killings.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3689755/resident-evil-welcome-raccoon-city-featurette-introduces-hannah-john-kamens-jill-valentine-video/

My expectations just lowered. Is it supposed to be cute that it's Jill that delivers the infamous line, and in a completely different context? Because it's not.
  • Draco20Draco20 USA
    I saw St Maud...snoozefest.
    I did see Malignant a few weeks ago. I thought it was decent.
    I plan on seeing "Antlers" this weekend. I'm pumped and always on the look for good horror.

Any recommendations?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Draco20 wrote: »
    I saw St Maud...snoozefest.
    I did see Malignant a few weeks ago. I thought it was decent.
    I plan on seeing "Antlers" this weekend. I'm pumped and always on the look for good horror.

Any recommendations?

I thought Saint Maud was so dull, aside from that closing shot. I didn’t understand the hype at all.
  • Draco20Draco20 USA
    I'm looking forward to Antlers which started recently. That "Last Night in Soho" looks interesting but its not horror just a suspense thriller. It's got me curious.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I really enjoyed Last Night In Soho. Yeah it's not really a horror bar some moments and obvious inspirations, but a really slick little film by Edgar Wright :)
    I had some problems with the ending but nothing that spoilt my enjoyment.
    I had fun watching Last Night in Soho, for the visuals and set design alone. I just wish the plot had more urgency to it. The film was very self indulgent for the first 90 minutes, it’s only in the last 30 mins that the plot gets going.
    An enjoyable movie to see on the big screen. Style over substance, but a stronger script really would have married well with the cinematography on display to have made for a really terrific movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FoxRox wrote: »
    A ranking and some thoughts about another classic horror franchise:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
    The most fun, best-balanced entry between horror and comedy. Best Freddy Krueger depiction / performance, courtesy the legendary Robert Englund. Most likable characters, Nancy returning, great kills - it has it all.
    2. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Hard to beat the original classic. Nancy is the best girl, the plot is super fun and creative, and it’s filled to the brim with iconic moments.
    3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985)
    The most underrated of the series. Really enjoyed this one - great effects, great Freddy moments (probably his darkest), good characters, and themes ahead of its time.
    4. Wes Craven’s New Nightmare (1994)
    Really fun, meta horror piece. It was a welcome return for Craven in the director’s chair and did a great job with the humor and also a little more serious Freddy after the last few. Felt like a very nice, full circle ending to the original saga honestly, I consider it the last real film in a way.
    5. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
    Ridiculous, outrageous, and hilarious. I don’t know how “good” the film really is, but it is damn entertaining when the focus is on the two titans of horror, who each have some of their best depictions here from their respective franchises. The other characters and acting mostly suck, but when the fun gets going it really gets going. Englund at his most entertaining in his sendoff! I do root for Jason more given he’s a little more sympathetic.
    6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
    The last one I like in particular on the list. The horror aspect unfortunately starts to fade a tad in this entry, but there’s lots to love: lovable characters, a strong kill count, and genuinely funny moments. The series starts to lose some focus and gets a bit over the top here, but I still find it highly entertaining and a good entry.
    7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
    Getting closer to rough territory here. Super-Freddy is just plain bad, and the comedic aspects are taking even more hold here than in 4. I liked Alice returning and the concept of the unborn baby having nightmares - and also the driving kill was memorable. The effects are also particularly cool throughout this entry. Unfortunately the characters are less interesting this time around and the story can get pretty funky. But I still do like it, though it’s flawed.
    8. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
    Yikes. Not a lot to salvage from this one. Though there were some cracks in 5, the wheels really fall off the wagon here. Any semblance of horror is totally gone now, and the comedy is mostly too Looney Tunes. The moments about Freddy’s past are kind of interesting, and of course it’s never a dull moment when Englund is on screen, but there’s just not a lot to like here. Bad characters, bad story.
    9. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
    I’d say the placement is pretty interchangeable between these last two, but it feels more right to have the remake last. Jackie Earle Haley isn’t even a bad Freddy, but the fact they used all that CGI on him hurts it. The characters are pretty dull and seem to always be either under or over acting. The direction is very lacking. Just generally feels like a pointless film, with far too much retreading and everything having been done better the first time. A couple cool moments, but this is nothing to write home about.

Overall, I loved this series. I only really dislike the bottom 2, which is pretty remarkable for a horror series. Sometime I might rank Friday the 13th here too. It was a blast watching Freddy through October - still going to fit as much horror in as I can before the month is out!

Great reviews! My personal favourites are 3 & 4, but the whole ride is fun...
    edited November 2021 Posts: 40,469
    I’ve wanted to do it for years now and my girlfriend and I finally managed (at least) one horror film a day in October, finishing things off with the wonderful Midsommar last night. It was daunting and annoying at times, considering how busy we both are, but I’m glad we made it through and completed it.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I’ve wanted to do it for years now and my girlfriend and I finally managed (at least) one horror film a day in October, finishing things off with the wonderful Midsommar last night. It was daunting and annoying at times, considering how busy we both are, but I’m glad we made it through and completed it.
    Ah amazing @Creasy47, Midsommar was one of my favourite films of that year, how did you find it?
    @chrisisall Thank you very much! Those ones are fun - it is a lovely series.

@Creasy47 I did that like twice before! Really fun - I only squeezed in a few this year (The Nightmare on Elm Street series, Halloween Kills, Peeping Tom, The Exorcist, Benny Loves You, Child's Play are all that come to mind right now). Midsommar is excellent! I don't love it quite as much as the obvious inspiration, The Wicker Man, but it's really really good.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I ended up seeing Midsommar three times in cinemas.

Saw the normal version twice and then went to the Director's Cut in cinemas too :)
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ah amazing @Creasy47, Midsommar was one of my favourite films of that year, how did you find it?

Oh, I love it a lot. It was my umpteenth viewing of the film, we hadn't seen it in close to a year by that point so figured it'd be a great way to end the month. It was.

@FoxRox, it is indeed a blast! However, easier some days than others - when we were both working and juggling chores and errands and the baby, it made it near impossible to watch one in full some days, but we managed it thankfully.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3694492/texas-chainsaw-massacre-first-images-leatherface-victims-coming-februarys-new-sequel/

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre films don't have enough timelines already, so here's another.
    f
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3694492/texas-chainsaw-massacre-first-images-leatherface-victims-coming-februarys-new-sequel/

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre films don't have enough timelines already, so here's another.

Where is the time line where Doctor Strange come in and spider man beats the crap out of leather face
    I have faith in Fede Alvarez. That is the only reason I am somewhat interested.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    +1
    Denbigh wrote: »
    +1
    I like what he did with Don't Breathe. And I don't mind them pulling a Halloween 2018 with this uneven series. I still think the 1974 film and both Platinum Dunes entries are the best. I have a soft spot for TCM3, though.
    Hopeful for a Halloween '18 type of deal with that. In both series though, the original is totally untoppable.
  • Fede Alvarez did a sterling job reimagining Evil Dead. I really didn't think Evil Dead could work, either without Bruce Campbell or in the age of CGI, and Alvarez proved me wrong on both counts.