The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    I have no idea why the blonde chick went with the cops and the old woman...
    Ruth (the blonde chick) goes with them because Mel (the main characters sister) was concerned for the old woman so wanted to go with, but because she's one of the main people planning to auction off the area, Ruth tells her stay, going herself so that she can make sure the old woman is okay. I thought it made perfect sense.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    You might be surprised by my positioning of The Next Generation, but I think it's more to do with it being a guilty pleasure of mine. I laugh at that film so much that I'm much more entertained by that than the any of the other sequels, and those sequels are to blame for the downward slope this franchise goes on. I don't need to explain the bottom two haha :D

I’m not surprised, I like part III, and that film doesn’t get much love either, from many people.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, my girlfriend and I had the very same question regarding whether Sally was living in the Sawyer house or not; they seemed to linger on it as she drove off. I know there's a mid-credits scene that may confirm or deny that but I didn't realize there was one until after I turned it off.

There was a mid credits scene? I’ll have to go back and have a look. I didn’t watch that far into the credits to see it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TCM 3 is a film I absolutely enjoy. I don't think it gets the love it deserves.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m not surprised, I like part III, and that film doesn’t get much love either, from many people.
    Ah well I'm happy to meet someone else who likes it :)
    There was a mid credits scene? I’ll have to go back and have a look. I didn’t watch that far into the credits to see it.
    It's a post-credits if I remember rightly, and one that got me quite excited actually.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ah well I'm happy to meet someone else who likes it :)
    It's a post-credits if I remember rightly, and one that got me quite excited actually.

I got misquoted here accidentally but yeah, that's my mistake in the earlier comment, it's post-credits. I need to check it out next time I'm on Netflix, it sounds like!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Hear hear. None of the films have captured that stifling sweaty atmosphere of the original film, but TCM3 is the only one that feels like it is set in that same world.

Hear hear. None of the films have captured that stifling sweaty atmosphere of the original film, but TCM3 is the only one that feels like it is set in that same world.

I completely agree with that. Also, I quite like Ken Foree's character.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    mod edit: I put the post above in spoiler tags because @Jimjambond so desperately wanted to give away a few big ones. ;)

Sorry about that.
    Jimjambond wrote: »
    mod edit: I put the post above in spoiler tags because @Jimjambond so desperately wanted to give away a few big ones. ;)

Sorry about that.

No worries. It was easy to fix. 😉
    I went back to TCM, and watched the post credits scene. Was that supposed to be the Sawyer house? It didn't look as big as it was in the original. It's the opposite of the Myers house in Halloween. In the original, it looked like what I imagine the average American house for a middle class family. But come Halloween V, and it wouldn't look out of place to have Sir Christopher Lee skulking around it, fangs and all.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I went back to TCM, and watched the post credits scene. Was that supposed to be the Sawyer house?
    Yes it was...

...and its interesting you mention that cause I was thinking about it and considered that it might be to do with how its shot as opposed to production just building or finding a smaller house. I say that cause in the original, if I remember rightly, the house was always shot from low angles, making it appear larger, whereas here we had Leatherface walking from afar towards it so I feel that might be where the difference is as opposed to the structure itself or I could just be pulling that from nowhere :D
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13,894
    I went back to TCM, and watched the post credits scene. Was that supposed to be the Sawyer house?
    Yes it was...

...and its interesting you mention that cause I was thinking about it and considered that it might be to do with how its shot as opposed to production just building or finding a smaller house. I say that cause in the original, if I remember rightly, the house was always shot from low angles, making it appear larger, whereas here we had Leatherface walking from afar towards it so I feel that might be where the difference is as opposed to the structure itself or I could just be pulling that from nowhere :D

That's a good point actually. In the 'booty shot' in the original (which was recreated in the remake), it's a low angle shot, making the house loom overhead. I will have to go back and re-watch the original. Maybe I am mis-remembering it, and the house isn't as big as I remember it to be. :-?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yes it was...

That's a good point actually. In the 'booty shot' in the original (which was recreated in the remake), it's a low angle shot, making the house loom overhead. I will have to go back and re-watch the original. Maybe I am mis-remembering it, and the house isn't as big as I remember it to be. :-?
    Exactly, I'll have to look back myself but I think that might be what it is. Either way, I really want a sequel so we can just have another TCM film in that house :D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Just saw X. A really fun slasher film :D Make sure you stick around till after the credits.
    Just saw X. A really fun slasher film :D Make sure you stick around till after the credits.

I'll be seeing the film very very soon. Can't wait, to be honest. Ti West has made a few very neat horror films that I truly enjoy, including House Of The Devil, The Innkeepers and Cabin Fever 2.
    I have just seen the film and I think it's great! Ti West's love for the '70s, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the horror genre in general comes through in a powerful way. Such a well-acted flick too. Up there with The House Of The Devil, which I have always considered to be West's best film.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm looking forward watching X someday. It really sounds promising and your praise makes me even more interested.
    I'm hoping to check out X within the next week. It seems everyone's been loving it so far and I hope to join that camp shortly.
    Good, because I have been avoiding spoilers so far but I want to analyse this film with you guys.
    edited April 2022 Posts: 40,490
    Oh man, just saw X with my girlfriend and loved it! Going to keep my thoughts in spoiler tags just in case:
    I loved the '70s aesthetic and the way it opened up with that 4:3 ratio shot to evoke older horror classics, though I do wish we felt the sweltering heat and sweat of the swampy locale a bit more on screen.

The performances were fantastic, Mia Goth especially in that wild dual role.

I love how, in the end, the film's premise was fairly straightforward; at first, I was expecting some cult stuff or a religious fundamentalist angle, then I thought it was something more occult/supernatural (especially after witnessing the body in the basement, which was a letdown after the opening because I really thought it was going to be something truly horrifying), i.e. Pearl and her husband capturing youth and somehow feeding off their energy or even putting themselves into their bodies to be young and sexy again. Nope, it's just a heartbreaking tale about the fears of growing old and missing out and the two love one another so much they're willing to kill and support one another over it.

The first alligator shot with Maxine in the water was probably my favorite shot in the film, totally anxiety-inducing and I loved how the alligator was teased throughout (its head poking out and watching Jackson as he checks out the sunken car was unnerving).

What was the implication behind the guy in the basement though? Just another male victim that Pearl wanted and couldn't have, so they chained him up and tortured him to death? He's even shown in a quick shot as a missing person on the milk carton, and I can only assume the sunken car was his. Seems like a lot of clue work for just a throwaway victim, and it's not too surprising considering a few bodies have dropped by this point.

Also, is there something huge I'm overlooking (past Goth playing both, as mentioned below) in terms of why Pearl was "saving" Maxine? The "you know I don't like blondes" comment after Bobby-Lynn's death was what had me thinking they were trying to capture "perfect" or preferred victims so they could use their bodies a la 'Get Out' or something.

I also love how, considering Goth played both Maxine and Pearl, the only victim who gets properly "buried" is Wayne, the boyfriend of Maxine. That was a nice touch.

The blending of comedy and horror was pretty nice to alleviate tension too, particularly in the closing moments - Pearl flying back through the door after firing the shotgun one last time was a riot.

And one of the film's biggest strengths for me was the insane amount of foreshadowing, sometimes obvious and sometimes a bit more subtle: the unloaded gun comments early on, the weak heart mentions by Howard, the tire running over the cow guts being similar to Pearl's fate, Jackson's constant comments about the farmers with guns in Vietnam, Wayne's "eye-popping" comment, and one I hadn't caught at all, the first shot of Bobby-Lynn occurring as she exits a building adorned with a blonde woman having her clothes ripped off by a gator. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
    What a blast.. Not at all what I was expecting and a couple of lingering issues I had, but all in all, one of the best original horror films I've seen in years and probably my favorite from West now.
    Oh man, just saw X with my girlfriend and loved it! Going to keep my thoughts in spoiler tags just in case:
    I loved the '70s aesthetic and the way it opened up with that 4:3 ratio shot to evoke older horror classics, though I do wish we felt the sweltering heat and sweat of the swampy locale a bit more on screen.

I love how, in the end, the film's premise was fairly straightforward; at first, I was expecting some cult stuff or a religious fundamentalist angle, then I thought it was something more occult/supernatural (especially after witnessing the body in the basement, which was a letdown after the opening because I really thought it was going to be something truly horrifying), i.e. Pearl and her husband capturing youth and somehow feeding off their energy or even putting themselves into their bodies to be young and sexy again. Nope, it's just a heartbreaking tale about the fears of growing old and missing out and the two love one another so much they're willing to kill and support one another over it.

The first alligator shot with Maxine in the water was probably my favorite shot in the film, totally anxiety-inducing and I loved how the alligator was teased throughout (its head poking out and watching Jackson as he checks out the sunken car was unnerving).

What was the implication behind the guy in the basement though? Just another male victim that Pearl wanted and couldn't have, so they chained him up and tortured him to death? He's even shown in a quick shot as a missing person on the milk carton, and I can only assume the sunken car was his. Seems like a lot of clue work for just a throwaway victim, and it's not too surprising considering a few bodies have dropped by this point.

Also, is there something huge I'm overlooking (past Goth playing both, as mentioned below) in terms of why Pearl was "saving" Maxine? The "you know I don't like blondes" comment after Bobby-Lynn's death was what had me thinking they were trying to capture "perfect" or preferred victims so they could use their bodies a la 'Get Out' or something.

I also love how, considering Goth played both Maxine and Pearl, the only victim who gets properly "buried" is Wayne, the boyfriend of Maxine. That was a nice touch.

The blending of comedy and horror was pretty nice to alleviate tension too, particularly in the closing moments - Pearl flying back through the door after firing the shotgun one last time was a riot.

And one of the film's biggest strengths for me was the insane amount of foreshadowing, sometimes obvious and sometimes a bit more subtle: the unloaded gun comments early on, the weak heart mentions by Howard, the tire running over the cow guts being similar to Pearl's fate, Jackson's constant comments about the farmers with guns in Vietnam, Wayne's "eye-popping" comment, and one I hadn't caught at all, the first shot of Bobby-Lynn occurring as she exits a building adorned with a blonde woman having her clothes ripped off by a gator. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
    What a blast.. Not at all what I was expecting and a couple of lingering issues I had, but all in all, one of the best original horror films I've seen in years and probably my favorite from West now.

Excellent review, @Creasy47.

I call this the best "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" we've had in a long time. Though coincidence no doubt, this film is called 'X' while so far 9 TCM films have been released... ;-)

I call this the best "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" we've had in a long time. Though coincidence no doubt, this film is called 'X' while so far 9 TCM films have been released... ;-)

No doubt! Though I did surprisingly enjoy the new TCM for what it was.

No doubt! Though I did surprisingly enjoy the new TCM for what it was.

Same here!
    So I just finished Ash vs Evil Dead. I can't believe it got cancelled. We will never get to see Ash in his modified 88 Delta, fighting the evil Mad Max style.

Farewell, Ash.

"Hail to the king, baby."
    A Quiet Place spin-off gets a title: A Quiet Place: Day One:

https://www.thewrap.com/a-quiet-place-spinoff-is-titled-a-quiet-place-day-one/
    So I just finished Ash vs Evil Dead. I can't believe it got cancelled. We will never get to see Ash in his modified 88 Delta, fighting the evil Mad Max style.

Farewell, Ash.

I liked the show. I regret its cancellation too.

Farewell, Ash.

I liked the show. I regret its cancellation too.

I wish Ash had been properly committed to an asylum, where the head Dr is one.... Herbert West.

aod_vs_re_animator_01a.jpg

Bruce Campbell and Jeffrey Combs reprising their respective character. That would have been some crossover.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

I enjoyed the first one, and the second one was a very solid sequel even if the idea felt a bit less fresh the second time around, but I'm not sure this series has enough steam for a third film and a prequel. How much more can you do with the concept?

I enjoyed the first one, and the second one was a very solid sequel even if the idea felt a bit less fresh the second time around, but I'm not sure this series has enough steam for a third film and a prequel. How much more can you do with the concept?

I'm just tired of prequels in general. What a way to kill any mystery and magic of a character or universe.