The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    A Quiet Place spin-off gets a title: A Quiet Place: Day One:

https://www.thewrap.com/a-quiet-place-spinoff-is-titled-a-quiet-place-day-one/

I enjoyed the first one, and the second one was a very solid sequel even if the idea felt a bit less fresh the second time around, but I'm not sure this series has enough steam for a third film and a prequel. How much more can you do with the concept?

I'm just tired of prequels in general. What a way to kill any mystery and magic of a character or universe.

I feel the same way. That's why I never got on board with Ridley Scott's Prometheus and Covenant. There was no reason to explain the mystery behind the xenomorphs and the space jockey. As you say, if you take it as canon, it just depletes the original of some of its power.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Prequels and the likes, with exceptions, are about whipping a dead horse after milking dry the cow that tried to reboot a broken PC. But, again, there are exceptions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Exactly. I've seen fans clamoring for a John Wick prequel of late and I scream out: why? Do you really need to see him killing three men in a bar with a pencil or seeing him execute on his "impossible task"? The films offer just enough world renown mystery with his character that showing these events bluntly and clearly will take away from that while also not satisfying everyone's wishes.

And yes, @DarthDimi, that isn't to say that all prequels are a horrible idea, but most of the time it's done in service to milking a franchise dry and awkwardly finding ways to incorporate their famous one liners or a particular shaping event or idiosyncrasy that makes them who they are. We don't need to see that. It's why I never bothered with Solo, I figured the film would be full of these moments.
    This somehow makes the recent film look...good?

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Why is it so hard to get faithful live action RE?

It seems impossible. I'm desperate to get a competent writer and director attached to this series. It's like they have no interest in even trying to deliver a faithful adaptation. The blueprints are literally right there! How hard can it be?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

It seems impossible. I'm desperate to get a competent writer and director attached to this series. It's like they have no interest in even trying to deliver a faithful adaptation. The blueprints are literally right there! How hard can it be?

They don't even need to plan ahead, just pick a couple of the games, and build the movie series around them.

Film 1: Resident Evil
    Film 2: Resident Evil 2
    Film 3: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    Film 4: Resident Evil 4
    Film 5: Resident Evil: Revelations
    Film 6: Resident Evil 5
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Great, now nobody will know if people are talking about the first Omen or The First Omen.
  • mattjoes wrote: »

Great, now nobody will know if people are talking about the first Omen or The First Omen.

All these prequels aren't Good Omens, that's for sure.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    friday-the.gif
    Happy Friday 13th
    friday-the.gif
    Happy Friday 13th

AWESOME!

I think I'd agree 100% here. I love how dirtied and fleshy his whole look is in Part VII. It's terrifying and usually the first one I picture when I think of the character.

I think I'd agree 100% here. I love how dirtied and fleshy his whole look is in Part VII. It's terrifying and usually the first one I picture when I think of the character.

It's a great look, very distinct. I like how there are just chunks of his flesh rotted away, on his back, his spine is visible. Though when I used to play Friday The 13th: The Game, I used to play as Pt VIII Jason. Slow moving, but compensated with a high destruction value. Not as distinctive as PtVII, but Pt VIII is another favourite looking Jason of mine.
    And I really don't mind the look of Jason in Jason Goes To Hell either. I love that swollen, pus-filled look his skull has, extending widely from the edges of the mask. Hell, most of the design choices are pretty solid throughout the series, in my opinion.
    And I really don't mind the look of Jason in Jason Goes To Hell either. I love that swollen, pus-filled look his skull has, extending widely from the edges of the mask. Hell, most of the design choices are pretty solid throughout the series, in my opinion.

Other than the sack head look from Pt 2, i'd agree.
  • Jason's designs have been consistently great, but I especially love the look of zombie Jason under the mask in Part VII. That was some outstanding monster makeup.
    Pt VII Jason is down to John Carl Buechler, a makeup effects legend in his own right, yet he's not held up as highly as Tom Savini. The lone fact that he was responsible for casting Kane Hodder, makes him a legend in my book. Add in his prolific special effects work....
    I like all but bag-over-head Jasons.
  • edited May 2022 Posts: 6,844
    Baghead Jason is just as legit in my book as hockey mask Jason.

Kind of like Hodder's classic head tilt, there's something both humanizing and de-humanizing about the singular glimpse we get of Jason's humanity through that one eyehole. The hockey mask may be more iconic, but I think the cycloptic sack mask might actually be creepier.
    I love baghead Jason too. Underrated. But the mask simply can’t be beat. It’s an unpopular take but my favorite solo Friday movie (I say this because Freddy vs. Jason is my #1) might be 3.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2022 Posts: 8,034
    I love all the Friday's except 1,2 and 5. The series really found its grove with 6.
    I love all the Friday's except 1,2 and 5. The series really found its grove with 6.

That is exactly how I feel. Those 3 are my least watched Fridays.
    Oh man, I really loved 1 the last time I saw it. Something just clicked for me and I had a blast, even as non-traditional as it is. Not a fan of 2, though.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The first film is iconic but I find it quite dull in parts, strangely enough. I don't know if it's budget or acting but it has lots of atmosphere but very little momentum until the last act. I still admire it, I just don't love it as much as some of the later "trashier" sequels.
    The first film definitely deserves it's place in horror history. Though the blueprint for the slasher genre was created with 1971's A Bay Of Blood, Friday The 13th (1980) was the one that lit the fuse on the slasher genre of the 80's.

But having come to the sequels (from the 3rd film on), then seeing the original at a later point, it's just.... not the same without Jason (and in the hockey mask).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Apologies if this has been brought up before, but what are your favorite Chucky films? I think I'd go for 2, 3 and Bride. Though I have yet to see Seed, that's the only one I haven't seen.
    Curse Of Chucky, that's my favourite. Followed by Childs Play, Cult Of Chucky, Childs Play 2, and lastly, Childs Play 3. I didn't car for Bride/Seed, they went a "little" overboard with the comedy. ;)
    Curse
    Bride
    The rest