The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

So... they are taking influence from the first two games? Why can't they just adapt the games.* Jill is invloved, at least that is something. A quick googe search of the actress... I can see her as Jill. They had a perfect Jill with Sienna Guillory, but she had to play 2nd fiddle to Alice.

*Have the right combination of characters in each film. Then when they come to RE6, fix what I feel is it's biggest problem in not having Jill and Claire look for Chris.

Rant over. :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 40,372
    First poster for the upcoming Texas Chainsaw Massacre installment (site isn't letting me attach photos, for some reason):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ektif5oW0AALy5Y?format=jpg&name=medium

Note near the bottom the silhouette of the "dancing Leatherface" shot from the first film.
    why is there ANOTHER texas chainsaw film?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    It's simple but I really like it :) Hoping this film is better than the last two entries.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 40,372
    It's a great poster, honestly, even more shocking considering the horror genre doesn't deliver many of those anymore. If the film is even half as unique as the poster is, it'll be one of the better installments, at least. I'll certainly keep an interested eye out, even if this series has been pure garbage for nearly 20 years now (and even before the reboot that I loved).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2020 Posts: 5,834
    Yeah, plus with Fede Alverez as a producer, who directed one of my favourite horror remakes, I am excited for this one :) And yeah, the original, the reboot, and even the prequel to the reboot stay well above all the other entries - in my books.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I had forgotten that this was even happening. After the last few, my expecations are low, very low.
    Anyone remember Never Hike Alone (2017), the Friday The 13th fan film? Well, the people behind it, released a new one, Never Hike In The Snow: A Friday The 13th Fan Film (2020), last week. I only found out about it tonight, and have just finished watching it.

It was only half an hour, which went by way too fast, I had forgotten it was a short film. Very good though. Someone needs to show it to Cunningham & Miller, then give the team behind the fan film, a big enough budget to expand it into a full film.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Thanks for sharing this fan film @MajorDSmythe. Easily the best fan film I've seen about whatsoever. That was tense and better than a lot of horror/thriller flicks. Amazing work.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, I'm so watching that one! Thanks, @MajorDSmythe !
    Patrick Wilson will make his horror directorial debut with Insidious 5, which follows the family 10 years after the previous installment, as Dalton begins college:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/insidious-5-moving-forward-with-patrick-wilson-making-feature-directorial-debut-blumfest-1234605799/
    Patrick Wilson will make his horror directorial debut with Insidious 5, which follows the family 10 years after the previous installment, as Dalton begins college:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/insidious-5-moving-forward-with-patrick-wilson-making-feature-directorial-debut-blumfest-1234605799/

Excellent news!

I'm still dreaming of an Insidious / Conjuring crossover. :p

Cool, I do enjoy these movies! :-bd
    here is hoping its good
    edited January 2021 Posts: 23,449
    Fun fact for us, horror fans: the end of this year will mark the 125th anniversary of what is commonly considered "the first horror film ever made", Le Manoir Du Diable, a 3-minute short by Méliès. According to Wikipedia,

it is intended to evoke amusement and wonder from its audiences, rather than fear. However, because of its themes and characters, the film has been considered to technically be the first horror film. Such a classification can also be attributed to the film's depiction of a human transforming into a bat, a plot element which has led some observers to label the work the first vampire film. The film is also innovative in length; its running time of over three minutes was ambitious for its era.

If you want to give it 3 minutes of your time, here it is:

It is confoundingly good given its age. It's also interesting to see the cinematic origins of our beloved genre.
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3650192/friday-13th-new-lawsuit-sean-cunningham-goes-wb-paramount-lost-profits/

This has dragged on so long, I had forgotten that the films had reverted back to New Line (WB).
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Fun fact for us, horror fans: the end of this year will mark the 125th anniversary of what is commonly considered "the first horror film ever made", Le Manoir Du Diable, a 3-minute short by Méliès. According to Wikipedia,

it is intended to evoke amusement and wonder from its audiences, rather than fear. However, because of its themes and characters, the film has been considered to technically be the first horror film. Such a classification can also be attributed to the film's depiction of a human transforming into a bat, a plot element which has led some observers to label the work the first vampire film. The film is also innovative in length; its running time of over three minutes was ambitious for its era.

It is confoundingly good given its age. It's also interesting to see the cinematic origins of our beloved genre.

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a few films from that era and I've enjoyed them. In terms of how they are paced, I've found they are not all that removed from today's style.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Thanks for sharing. I've seen a few films from that era and I've enjoyed them. In terms of how they are paced, I've found they are not all that removed from today's style.

I am with you on that, @mattjoes. I've almost never thought of the films from this era that I have seen as dull, at least not in terms of story pacing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DarthDimi , that was very cool.
  • I just watched Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers for the first time the other day. Given what I'd heard of it and the absence of JC and JLC this time around, I wasn't expecting much—but holy crap what a good movie!

Donald Pleasance and Danielle Harris both deliver astonishingly good performances. Characters refreshingly make sensible and human decisions throughout and even transcend their archetypes. The cinematography is as good as any found in Carpenter's strongest work, leading the film to drip with atmosphere and tension. And there are so many genuinely harrowing scenes throughout, from Jamie's bedroom nightmare to the pursuit through the attic and over the rooftop.

In the end, it's almost too bleak and too harrowing a film. I’m hard-pressed at the moment to think of another horror movie that ends on so harrowing a note. I can think of ones with ambiguous ends, ones with apocalyptic endings, ones with tongue-in-cheek “he’s back” or “it begins again” endings. But this…

There’s actually even a brief moment in there at the end where either the editing or the performances makes you think (with some relief) that this might simply be in Loomis’ head, only for your heart to fall again with the confirmation of the very next shot. This one left me unsettled. After 90 minutes of terror, it’s nice to part from a film on a lighter note, even if the implication of the film’s ending is that the world is going to end. But again, this…

I’m a little surprised the film isn’t more highly regarded. I wouldn’t put it above the first two, but H20 or Halloween ’18? Definitely. I do also think Halloween III is direly underrated though.
    A 4th V/H/S film is in the works, titled V/H/S/94.

https://collider.com/vhs-4-radio-silence-david-bruckner-simon-barrett/

This is exciting, I loved the first two films. Was iffy/just ok on the third.
    My favorite opening scene to a horror film ever:

I had completely forgotten that this mess was even still rolling on (I can't even remember what studio now own the films, I know that they reverted back to New Line at one point), but the F13 court case as taken a step in the right, well, a direction...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3685213/friday-13th-screenwriter-victor-miller-wins-copyright-termination-appeal-reclaim-domestic-rights/

It's a small step, on a long journey. I suspect that we will have at least one more Bond, before we get another F13 film.
    I had completely forgotten that this mess was even still rolling on (I can't even remember what studio now own the films, I know that they reverted back to New Line at one point), but the F13 court case as taken a step in the right, well, a direction...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3685213/friday-13th-screenwriter-victor-miller-wins-copyright-termination-appeal-reclaim-domestic-rights/

It's a small step, on a long journey. I suspect that we will have at least one more Bond, before we get another F13 film.

I try to keep optimistic about the whole situation but this has dragged on for way too long, to the point that, just like you, I even forget it's unfolding. Oh well, at least we're getting some new Hellraiser properties that have me at least slightly more hopeful than I've been with the last few direct-to-DVD, rights-retaining installments.
    I think it's fair to say that Miller is the Kevin McClory in this situation. Yes, he wrote the first film, but what is he really hoping to achieve? So he has the rights to the first film and all that entails, he could essentially, I think, remake it. But that's it.

As for Hellraiser, I still haven't seen the latest two. I will see them for myself at some point, but what I have heard about them, I am not in any rush.
    I think it's fair to say that Miller is the Kevin McClory in this situation. Yes, he wrote the first film, but what is he really hoping to achieve? So he has the rights to the first film and all that entails, he could essentially, I think, remake it. But that's it.

As for Hellraiser, I still haven't seen the latest two. I will see them for myself at some point, but what I have heard about them, I am not in any rush.

I don't recall the last installment I saw. They all look horribly, laughably dreadful.
    I saw a comment online, that in one of them, Pinhead looks like a cosplayer.