The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3624711/neca-surprises-brand-new-ultimate-action-figure-new-blood-jason-voorhees/

"Surprises" is an understatment, given how the lawsuit forbids any new merchandise to be made. Could NECA know something that has yet to be announced? :-?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Courteney Cox will return as Gale in Scream 5:

https://collider.com/scream-5-courteney-cox-gale-weathers/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Lionsgate has removed Antebellum from their release schedule. It was due for a wide US theatrical release on August 21st. No new release date has been confirmed for this film.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Sweet! Now we just need Neve Campbell :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    FoxRox wrote: »

She's back I'm sure. You can't do Scream 5 without the OG trio :)

Let's just hope the films as good as the first one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »

Do we want them, though? I'm just asking the room as a huge SCREAM fan. What else can Sidney be put through. Perhaps the very reason the last couple of films weren't as good, is because Sid's story was basically told with that first film.

I'd say we drop the whole Prescott story and move on. Freddy didn't have to fight Nancy all the time either.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Do we want them, though? I'm just asking the room as a huge SCREAM fan. What else can Sidney be put through. Perhaps the very reason the last couple of films weren't as good, is because Sid's story was basically told with that first film.

I'd say we drop the whole Prescott story and move on. Freddy didn't have to fight Nancy all the time either.
    I mean there's a lot of things they could to do to be honest. I think the problem was that the sequels weren't the right route, so hopefully this will be a course correction. My only advice would be to not try and rewrite the previous ones through this film. Leave those as they were and create a new story for these characters and the Ghostface killer. I don't wanna see Matthew Lillard pop up in some weird and confusing "I'm not dead" situation.

I do think they will introduce new characters for us to sink our teeth into though.
    I’ll be honest, we don’t need a Scream 5 at all, but I’d still happily take it if the OG characters are all in and they make a decent film, just because I love that universe so much. For me, I don’t want a Scream film without those characters!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

A point could be made however that Freddy's films were at their best when he did fight Nancy (though I do enjoy the campiness of Part 2 on a largely MST3K level and have a personal soft spot for the 80s overload that is The Dream Master). But Freddy like Jason before him was set up from the get-go with a revolving door of final girls—and the occasional final dude.

Scream is a unique case among slashers where the killer always changes and the protagonists remain the same. To start over on film 5 with new protagonists would deviate too much from the essence of what Scream is. Scream isn't the story of Ghostface; it's the story of Sidney Prescott and her eternal battle with the demons of her past, and secondarily, on a lighter and more comedic but no less interesting note, the story of Dewey and Gale and their on-again, off-again relationship.

Take those three principals out of the equation and you have a different story altogether, and I'm not so sure it would really be Scream anymore. Did anybody care about Emma Roberts and her self-absorbed millennial friends being terrorized by Ghostface in Scream 4? Not in the least, and that was the point. Without going all spoilerly on a nearly 10 year-old film, Scream 4 was ultimately still Sidney's story.

There's something to be said for the coincidence of terrible things repeatedly happening to the same protagonist over multiple films—how many times can the same unlucky person wind up in a haunted cabin, for instance?—but that too is one of the points of Scream. You could probably write a pretty interesting essay on the series' handling of such ideas as tragedies begetting further tragedies, the intrusion of media and publicity into private lives, and how psychos are drawn to, target, or take advantage of people with troubled histories. The films are fantasy at the end of the day, or at the very least heightened reality, but under a microscope the ongoing story of Sidney Prescott looks less and less like coincidence and more like a really bad case of "life truly is stranger than fiction, isn't it?"

I'm more concerned about this being the first Scream film not directed by Wes Craven and/or written by Kevin Williamson. The return of the three principals is the one thing that has me somewhat reassured right now! I actually like all four of the Scream films on equal footing and just hope this new installment doesn't lose that special quality, that je ne seis quoi in direction and storytelling that has given the franchise its unique identity among the slasher pantheon.

A point could be made however that Freddy's films were at their best when he did fight Nancy (though I do enjoy the campiness of Part 2 on a largely MST3K level and have a personal soft spot for the 80s overload that is The Dream Master). But Freddy like Jason before him was set up from the get-go with a revolving door of final girls—and the occasional final dude.

Scream is a unique case among slashers where the killer always changes and the protagonists remain the same. To start over on film 5 with new protagonists would deviate too much from the essence of what Scream is. Scream isn't the story of Ghostface; it's the story of Sidney Prescott and her eternal battle with the demons of her past, and secondarily, on a lighter and more comedic but no less interesting note, the story of Dewey and Gale and their on-again, off-again relationship.

Take those three principals out of the equation and you have a different story altogether, and I'm not so sure it would really be Scream anymore. Did anybody care about Emma Roberts and her self-absorbed millennial friends being terrorized by Ghostface in Scream 4? Not in the least, and that was the point. Without going all spoilerly on a nearly 10 year-old film, Scream 4 was ultimately still Sidney's story.

There's something to be said for the coincidence of terrible things repeatedly happening to the same protagonist over multiple films—how many times can the same unlucky person wind up in a haunted cabin, for instance?—but that too is one of the points of Scream. You could probably write a pretty interesting essay on the series' handling of such ideas as tragedies begetting further tragedies, the intrusion of media and publicity into private lives, and how psychos are drawn to, target, or take advantage of people with troubled histories. The films are fantasy at the end of the day, or at the very least heightened reality, but under a microscope the ongoing story of Sidney Prescott looks less and less like coincidence and more like a really bad case of "life truly is stranger than fiction, isn't it?"

I'm more concerned about this being the first Scream film not directed by Wes Craven and/or written by Kevin Williamson. The return of the three principals is the one thing that has me somewhat reassured right now! I actually like all four of the Scream films on equal footing and just hope this new installment doesn't lose that special quality, that je ne seis quoi in direction and storytelling that has given the franchise its unique identity among the slasher pantheon.

Well, this is an excellent post!
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Well, this is an excellent post!

Why thank you! I do really love seeing how Sid changes over the films: her hang-ups in relationships, seeing her working an anonymous help-line, accepting the front door staying open at the end of Scream 3 I think it was. She's a very human character for the genre and has been handled quite deftly by the writers, Craven, and of course Neve herself.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've never been all that keen on the Scream films. They come off smug with the whole Post Modern horror thing. Though I am gratefull for it, as without Scream, there wouldn't be a I Know What You Did Last Summer. So there's that.

90's horror is a game for two halves. For the first half of the decaade, all the big horror series are getting experimental, then the second half (post Scream) it's all about the new breed of teen slasher. This is most obvious with Halloween, where pre Scream, we have The Curse Of Michael Myers, then the first post Scream Halloween, is H20.
    The horror film Antebellum will go straight to VOD on September 18th. The film was scheduled for a wide theatrical release in August.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/antebellum-janelle-monae-pvod-1234727898/
  • edited August 2020 Posts: 17,279
    Not a horror fan personally, but have anyone seen this?

The production quality is bad, but features Bond alumni Caroline Munro, Martine Beswick and Christopher Neame.
    Wait, there's a new in in developement? What are they doing to this series. it's really messed up now.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Lets just hope it was the right decision.
    Lets just hope it was the right decision.

dont worry the scrapped footage will be used for a sequel ala Silent Night Deadly night 2 ;)

they are just prepping for another lockdown lmao
    Wait, there's a new in in developement? What are they doing to this series. it's really messed up now.

I didn't know, either, or I had read about it and already forgot. I'm sure it'll be a disaster, like the last few were.
    Why do they even bother? The last two attempts were simply bad.

I rewatched Texas Chainsaw 3D a couple of months ago because the girlfriend had never seen it, despite my pleas for her to skip it. She thought it was crap, too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Probably for that reason haha :D
    I do like and trust Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead, Don't Breathe) whose producing this.

I actually think the 2003 remake and its prequel were the better films to follow the perfect original.
    @Creasy47 @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Here is the first official look at The Haunting of Bly Manor:

The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed01.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed02.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed03-A.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed03-B.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed04.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed05.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed06.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed07-A.jpg
    The-Haunting-of-Bly-Manor-First-Look-Embed07-B.jpg
    edited August 2020 Posts: 13,894
    When it comes to TCM, I think I am one of the few people that like Leatherface (part 3 not the other one bearing the same title). In fact, I wish someone would make a sequel to that one. But sequels to sequels don't seem to be the trend right now.
    When it comes to TCM, I think I am one of the few people that like Leatherface (part 3 not the other one bearing the same title). In fact, I wish someone would make a sequel to that one. But sequels to sequels don't seem to be the trend right now.

Ken Foree was awesome in that one! :p

I prefer Leatherface: TCM 3 over TCM 2, TNG, TC 3D and the recent Leatherface. It's my fourth favourite in the series. :)

Ken Foree was awesome in that one! :p

I prefer Leatherface: TCM 3 over TCM 2, TNG, TC 3D and the recent Leatherface. It's my fourth favourite in the series. :)

I had to think for a minute what the other films were. Of course, the '03 remake and The Beginning. They are my 3rd and 4th favourites.
    I guess, for me, it's

1) the original
    2) the remake
    3) The Beginning
    4) TCM 3
    5) TCM 4
    6) TC 3D
    7) TCM 2
    8) Leatherface
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @boldfinger @Shardlake

While waiting for Peninsula (Train to Busan 2), here's another 2020 South Korean zombie flick:

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Yes @DarthDimi the remake and its prequel are actually kinda good imo