The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Who has the rights to what regarding Friday the 13th because Maybe we could get A Friday the 13th without Jason? better then nothing I suppose

Going back to the original, then? I wouldn't mind since that one remains one of my favourites. :)

But I'm not sure it works that way. From a commercial point of view, I'd say that trying to sell a F13 without Jason is like trying to sell a NOES without Freddy. I doubt that people would buy it at this point in the series. Also, if rights issues prevent them from making another "Jason" flick, I'm fairly certain that the "Friday the 13th" title is in rights jail just as well. Something that comes close enough to the series but isn't a part of it, would just be another "dead teenagers at a lake" movie; the irony of it would be that audiences might reject that for treading too close to the F13 template. ;-)

Personally, I think that in this day and age of crossovers and team-ups and whatnot, a film with "just" Jason in it might not even be all that interesting to the target demographic anymore. And by the way, the target demographic, we ain't. No-one would make a F13 for fans of the originals anymore. Let's face it: FvJ was something of a final love letter to the veteran fans. Filmmakers nowadays would instead try to appeal to the new young tween crowd, to those that would spend "date night" at the theatre consuming a bloody slasher film, not to those who are more inclined to stay at home with their families and maybe rent the movie eventually. But how do you get a horror icon twice the age of tweens today to still appeal to them, while all they seem to want is another Avengers film? My money is on more and bigger crossovers, like FvJ, but then even wilder and crazier. And giving all these obnoxious rights issues, that seems like a never-gonna-happen, particularly with such low demands for these types of films. Even if they throw Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, Chucky, Ghostface, Jigsaw AND Ash into one big pot, it's doubtful that such a film would ever make "It: Chapter 1" money. Unless these slashers of old mysteriously manage to become the new cool again, they feel like something that has to earn people's craving hard before they come back in style. We cannot rely on their used-to-be popularity to just make a good buck with every next instalment that they throw at us.

The last couple of TCM's and Jeepers Creepers, basically anything past 2010, were far more miss than they were hit. While us, die-hards, want more product out of the good old slasher series, most audiences seem to have buried them with the '80s and '90s. Halloween 2018 proved an interesting exception, as did the last two DTD Chucky films, albeit critically rather than financially in the latter case; but what Halloween 2020 will pull off and if the somewhat 'okay' performance of Child's Play 2019 can generate more income, remains to be seen. I haven't my hopes up too high. Meanwhile, they keep hurling plans for a revival of Hellraiser, Freddy, Scream and more at us like confetti. They have been for many years, in fact. So where are these movies? Between obscure sequels and short-lived TV series, not a lot is going on. Perhaps it's fitting that a hardcore fan of slashers has to take up this role, but I can only declare most of them dead and buried.

But hey, as a slasher fan, I also know that some dead don't necessarily stay that way. Who knows, someone out there might crack the code, someone out there might hex them back alive. I hope someone will, and this time for at least another decade of gory fun. But the current trends seem to gravitate more towards new King adaptations, James Wan's angry ghosts and haunted houses, and the 'elevated' horrors in the vein of Midsommar, The Witch, Us and more. That, as well as those insipid rights issues, seems to be keeping us from the knives, machetes, scissors and chainsaws we're cravening, cunninghamming and carpentering for. ;-)

A Pamela Voorhees trilogy while this Jason stuff gets sorted out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But that's the thing. If the rights to F13 are in "lockdown", how could they make a Pamela Voorhees anything? Surely her name is included in the protected package.
    The best thing to do is just wait till all this is settled. If anything the Bond franchise should tell us how avoiding rights issues isn't the best course of action and can ruin or at least mess up a property.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »
    What about this idea for Friday the 13th reboot? So you have it that Jason disappeared and supposedly drowned, so Pamela kills the original counsellors that were supposed to be watching him (and not just the couple), then years later, Jason is alive and killing people, but Pamela is also alive. Then you have it that the final girl finds Pamela near the end and tries to get her to help, but when she learns her son is apparently alive, she tries to kill her but the final girl cuts her head off before Jason finds her and attacks.

So the film would have two killers, though not at the same time? It could work, Jason wasn't always the antagonist.
    Who has the rights to what regarding Friday the 13th because Maybe we could get A Friday the 13th without Jason? better then nothing I suppose

The first round of the legal proceedings, awarded the rights to Miller. Cunningham filled an objection, and forced them into a second round. Since them, it doesn't look like there has been any movement. Even Larry Zerner (Shelly from pt 3), who have been breaking down the legal jargon, has been quiet.

Looks like I will have to continue playing with my NECA/Mezco Jason figures for a while longer. :))
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Hear me out - hire Ari Aster to direct a Friday the 13th reboot. He'd do a great job I think, and would make the original storyline feel fresh and scary.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Hear me out - hire Ari Aster to direct a Friday the 13th reboot. He'd do a great job I think, and would make the original storyline feel fresh and scary.

This is indeed what we're going to need if we ever get to more F13, ANOES, Hellraiser, ... films. We need visionary filmmakers who can usher in a new era for these series without losing their basic backbones. Personally, I was rocking along with Platinum Dunes' revivals in the 00's, especially for TCM, and I'm one of the few people to fully enjoy Rob Zombie's Halloween, but I also understand that those films merely pasted some post-Scream/post-Saw sensibilities over the old formulas. Guys like Ari Aster, Jordan Peele, Mike Flanagan, Justin Benson & Aaron Moorhead, Jeremy Saulnier and others could find the key to an entire paradigm shift within how to explore these worlds, pretty much like how CR broke with much of the "old" Bond formula (before restoring it bit by bit). But would they be interested in doing a Jason flick? I have my doubts. Peele might.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    We need visionary filmmakers who can usher in a new era for these series without losing their basic backbones.
    giphy.gif
    But would they be interested in doing a Jason flick? I have my doubts. Peele might.
    I think they'd be interesting if they knew they had a lot of creative freedom, whiqh certain producers wouldn't give with properties like these. I mean they've just given the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise to Fede Alvarez, whiqh could go one of two ways, but I have my high hopes, but with others I honestly think giving it to a company like A24, who pride themselves on their original content, but just imagine what they could do with these properties, and I think the thematics and ideas presented in the original Friday the 13th match perfectly with what Aster seems to explore in his films. It'd be a match made in heaven I tell you.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Adam Green. He might not be a respected filmaker, but he is a massive F13 fan. What are the Hatchet films, if not F13 tribute acts with the carnage dialled up to 12?
    Adam Green. He might not be a respected filmaker, but he is a massive F13 fan. What are the Hatchet films, if not F13 tribute acts with the carnage dialled up to 12?

I found those rather entertaining, albeit for only a very narrow section of the horror loving crowd.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Looking forward to that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

This is indeed what we're going to need if we ever get to more F13, ANOES, Hellraiser, ... films. We need visionary filmmakers who can usher in a new era for these series without losing their basic backbones.

It REALLY is that simple. Stop rehashing garbage or putting out generic installments just to hold onto the rights and instead start focusing on getting the right talent in front of and behind the camera to make something special that keeps fans wanting more.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,544
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This is indeed what we're going to need if we ever get to more F13, ANOES, Hellraiser, ... films. We need visionary filmmakers who can usher in a new era for these series without losing their basic backbones.

It REALLY is that simple. Stop rehashing garbage or putting out generic installments just to hold onto the rights and instead start focusing on getting the right talent in front of and behind the camera to make something special that keeps fans wanting more.

Incidentally, we, as Bond fans, have been treated to that very thing several times already. Take GE and CR for example. Both were films that combined a lot of "old" with a lot of "new". Granted, rights weren't the big issue (other things often were), but the fact that apart from a minor few cases no two Bond films are truly the same thing, is telling.

A new F13 should be easy, at least on paper. The things you have to keep are fewer than the things you can easily alter, introduce, skip, ... I guess they're simply afraid of trying something fresh. Proven formulas work... (Avengers), until they don't... (all those wasted attempts at rebooting old horror series). A smart person can spot the pattern and act on that.

My strongest advice remains to keep the budget as low as feasible and possible. Even in the best of times, these films won't ever make half a billion dollars. Invest 15 million and everything upwards of 50 million is probably a decent profit. And if the film is any good, the small but loyal audience will return for gory seconds. Invest 50 million, and you're probably out of your league. I keep going back to the SAW films for a not very fitting but still somewhat useful comparison. Most of those flicks never went over 10 million dollar budgets and most of them made well over 100 million dollars. They looked cheap when it wasn't a big deal but showed the goods when it was and that's what counts. Who cares if the "car ride" in SAW II had the camera move rather than the car? The gory scenes were pretty effective, and those were what pulled people in.

The sewer-pit production values on many of our beloved slashers are, in fact, part of their appeal. This isn't Disney evaluating every darn pixel that's on-screen, just to see if it looks good and won't upset the "woke" crowd. We love a bit of "raw" and imperfect filming when the ultimate goal is to give us those primal thrills we seek in a slasher. There's a reason why many horror fans love '70s horror so much, in fact. There's something "unsettling" and "ugly" about them that works miracles in setting the proper mood. So bust out the cheap film stock, find existing locations and use what's there. A cast of unknowns is fine as long as their performances are at least half-decent. Just make sure the thrills are there. Nothing else matters. And please, these films are not on a low-calorie diet, so bring the blood, gore, screams and, if possible, some "improper" exposure of attractive bodies. It's really easy. It's the cinematic equivalent of assembling a greasy pizza. When the next F13 comes, I want fast food, not "Haute Cuisine".
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,639
    Been watching Puppet Master films , in #3 some familiar faces : Sarah Douglas , Gotell and mr Pitt from Seinfeld
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    You guys should check out these videos that simply break down the previous attempts at making another Friday the 13th, and the reasons they would/wouldn't have worked - with some funs animations too :)

edited June 2020 Posts: 13,894
    Many thanks for posting those, @Denbigh. I'm going to jump to the Pt 13 one first. I remember reading a story overview of one draft, involving the water slide kill. I'm curious if that was the shooting script.

EDIT
    Elias Voorhees apears at the start. That sounds like the overview that I read.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @boldfinger @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe

Always great to see the fantastic Kevin Bacon in a leading role:

Looking forward to this one!
    60 years ago today...

Psycho-517331430.jpg
    MV5-BODE4-ZDJi-NTYt-N2-Vi-Yy00-OGE0-LThh-Mj-It-Nz-A2-Nj-I4-Nj-A1-MDAy-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-Mj-Mz-MDI4-Mj-Q-V1-SX1777-CR0-0-1777-962-AL.jpg

... Psycho was released in North America.
    I would like to comment on that, @DaltonCraig007, but mother needs me.
    @boldfinger @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe

Always great to see the fantastic Kevin Bacon in a leading role:
    Very true, @DaltonCraig007, but I´m not entirely sure I´m not going to inflict something terrible on my pants if I watch such scary stuff.

Jaws turns 45 tomorrow

RIP : Shaw , Scheider , Hamilton , Fierro among others
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Tracy wrote: »
    Jaws turns 45 tomorrow

RIP : Shaw , Scheider , Hamilton , Fierro among others

I need to get the 4K that was just released a couple of weeks back and rewatch it. One of my favorites in the genre.
    I don´t need the 4K, I just need to cancel all evening activities next week, so I can watch the br ten times :-).
    I remember when I bought the DVD, I watched the film 3 or 4 times in the first week.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 @boldfinger @Shardlake

Edgar Wright to direct the psychological horror/thriller The Chain, adapted from Adrian McKinty's novel.

The Chain tells the story of Rachel, who learns that her 11-year-old daughter has been kidnapped. The only way to get her back is to kidnap another child. Her daughter will be released only when that next victim’s parents kidnap another child. If Rachel doesn’t kidnap another child, or if that child’s parents don’t kidnap a child, her daughter will be murdered. She is now part of The Chain, a terrifying and meticulous chain letter-like kidnapping scheme that turns parents from victims into criminals.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-chain-movie-edgar-wright-jane-goldman-universal-working-title-story-factory-1202961959/
    They should do a Jaws animated series for teens/adults , Im sure its possible to pull off.....get some good writers (Batman TAS had good writing)

......or at the very least a comic book , hell even Batman '66 got one

They could re-do movie III and this time make it actually scary (concept of shark inside amusement park isnt that bad of an idea imo)
    @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 @boldfinger @Shardlake

Edgar Wright to direct the psychological horror/thriller The Chain, adapted from Adrian McKinty's novel.

The Chain tells the story of Rachel, who learns that her 11-year-old daughter has been kidnapped. The only way to get her back is to kidnap another child. Her daughter will be released only when that next victim’s parents kidnap another child. If Rachel doesn’t kidnap another child, or if that child’s parents don’t kidnap a child, her daughter will be murdered. She is now part of The Chain, a terrifying and meticulous chain letter-like kidnapping scheme that turns parents from victims into criminals.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-chain-movie-edgar-wright-jane-goldman-universal-working-title-story-factory-1202961959/
    This could go somewhere.

Warning , here be Jaws spoiler :

Hungry shark :

Chrissie (weight 50 kilos ?)
    the dog (at least 10 kilos)
    Alex (40 kilos ?)
    boat man (70-75 kilos ?)
    Gardner (80 kilos ?)
    Quint (75-80 kilos ?)

Over a quarter ton (330 kilos) weight , more or less :P

By logic all the Jaws sharks are females

Carmen Electra is like 50 kilos so Chrissie might weigh more......maybe shes 55-60 kilos
    Shaw sure looks angry when hes maneuvering the Orca , I dont think he was acting there :P
    A 4th V/H/S film is in the works, titled V/H/S/94.

https://collider.com/vhs-4-radio-silence-david-bruckner-simon-barrett/
    A 4th V/H/S film is in the works, titled V/H/S/94.

https://collider.com/vhs-4-radio-silence-david-bruckner-simon-barrett/

I can dig them but I'm not a big fan of the FF genre myself.