The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just a heads-up @Shardlake: Peninsula seems to be to Train to Busan what Aliens is to Alien. Much more action packed. Also I got some Mad Max: Fury Road vibes too. Looks like another master-class filmmaking from South Korea.

I seriously look forward to watching the teaser, that sounds like a most enticing proposition.

A bit like the Raid 2 in that it isn't going over the same old ground but taking it into new territory and expanding on that with a more epic feel with the stakes higher.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    David Gordon Green will helm pilot (and several miscellaneous episodes) of new Hellraiser series debuting on HBO:

https://deadline.com/2020/04/hellraiser-david-gordon-green-directing-hbo-series-halloween-pilot-1202918558/

This sounds very promising!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If it happens. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If it happens. ;-)

Great point! I've been let down before. I thought Clive Barker was looking to reboot the film several years back, filled with prosthetics and actual practical effects, but it fell through unfortunately. I was very excited for that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 @boldfinger

Mike Flanagan, the director of Doctor Sleep, will adapt another Stephen King novel for the big screen: Revival.

Revival follows Reverend Charles Jacobs, a minister in Harlow, Maine, who shares a secret obsession with boy Jamie Morton, a draw so powerful, it has profound consequences five decades after the shattering tragedy that turned the preacher against God, and long after his final, scathing sermon. Jamie grows to become a nomadic rock guitarist hooked on heroin, and meets Charles Jacobs again, and their bond becomes a pact beyond the Devil’s devising.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/stephen-king-movie-revival-mike-flanagan-doctor-sleep-director-attached-1202930038/
    Sounds like an interesting premise, perhaps I should read the novel ;-).
    Interesting. I've liked everything of Flanagan so far, and yes, that includes Gerald's Game and Doctor Sleep.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    40 years ago today...

friday-the-13th-1980-4.jpg

... the first installment of the Friday the 13th franchise was released in cinemas.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    ... the first installment of the Friday the 13th franchise was released in cinemas.
    I need a reboot/remake as soon as :(
    @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe @Creasy47 @boldfinger

Mike Flanagan, the director of Doctor Sleep, will adapt another Stephen King novel for the big screen: Revival.

Revival follows Reverend Charles Jacobs, a minister in Harlow, Maine, who shares a secret obsession with boy Jamie Morton, a draw so powerful, it has profound consequences five decades after the shattering tragedy that turned the preacher against God, and long after his final, scathing sermon. Jamie grows to become a nomadic rock guitarist hooked on heroin, and meets Charles Jacobs again, and their bond becomes a pact beyond the Devil’s devising.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/stephen-king-movie-revival-mike-flanagan-doctor-sleep-director-attached-1202930038/

This is a fantastic novel and Flanagan is one of my favorite horror directors working today so I cannot wait for this. They're killing it with the King adaptations lately.
    It looks like Netflix has made a Japanese spoken (?) re-something (remake? re-imagining? re-adaptation?) of The Grudge, called Ju-On: Origins.
    Very stylish poster for the Canadian zombie film Blood Quantum:

lb1bqtz8mxy41.jpg

The dead are coming back to life outside the isolated Mi'gMaq reserve of Red Crow, except for its Indigenous inhabitants who are strangely immune to the zombie plague.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    40 years ago today...

friday-the-13th-1980-4.jpg

Little would they know what they were about to create. Now look at it, tangled up in a leagal mess.
    @MajorDSmythe, unfathomable to me that the last release was 11 years ago.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,894
    I know, right? It comes down to money, but money is what neither side can earn while this sorry mess drags on and on.

I went back to the game earlier today, first time in what must be over a year, to see what state it is in. Spent 5 minutes waiting for the game to find a lobby, then I just gave up. Last time I played it, trolls were able to get up on the roofs to troll Jason. That was a bug that was present at launch, then quickly fixed.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still play it @MajorDSmythe but I would really like a movie.
    Denbigh wrote: »

I am in full agreement with you, there. But I don't what I would rather, another reboot. Or go back to the original timeline. If the latter, I would keep the events of all films up to, and including Jason Goes To Hell,
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869

I am in full agreement with you, there. But I don't what I would rather, another reboot. Or go back to the original timeline. If the latter, I would keep the events of all films up to, and including Jason Goes To Hell,
    I've always thought it'd be cool if they did a bit of a Halloween (2018) thing with it, and have only the first four as their existing continuity, then they can either have a modern-day Tommy Jarvis, or do your own teenage Tommy Jarvis in the late 80s/early 90s - but I should stress I wouldn't want Corey Feldman back.

Basically reboot Part 5 haha :D
    I know, right? It comes down to money, but money is what neither side can earn while this sorry mess drags on and on.

I went back to the game earlier today, first time in what must be over a year, to see what state it is in. Spent 5 minutes waiting for the game to find a lobby, then I just gave up. Last time I played it, trolls were able to get up on the roofs to troll Jason. That was a bug that was present at launch, then quickly fixed.

Agreed. They could've all been rolling in the money this past decade plus. Hopefully it all gets straightened out sooner rather than later but with the endless litigation mixed with the coronavirus outbreak, I don't see it happening for quite some time.

I've always thought it'd be cool if they did a bit of a Halloween (2018) thing with it, and have only the first four as their existing continuity, then they can either have a modern-day Tommy Jarvis, or do your own teenage Tommy Jarvis in the late 80s/early 90s - but I should stress I wouldn't want Corey Feldman back.

Even though I prefer I the zombie Jason movies, especially those with Kane Hodder, I would accept a human Jason if it meant having the films back up and running once more.
    40 years ago today...

stanley-kubricks-the-shining-at-universals-halloween-horror-nights-2017.jpg

... The Shining was released in North American cinemas.
    @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @Creasy47 @boldfinger @Shardlake

Train to Busan: Peninsula won't be the only zombie flick from South Korea this year:

oljcxviktpz41.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Even though I prefer I the zombie Jason movies, especially those with Kane Hodder, I would accept a human Jason if it meant having the films back up and running once more.
    What about this idea for Friday the 13th reboot? So you have it that Jason disappeared and supposedly drowned, so Pamela kills the original counsellors that were supposed to be watching him (and not just the couple), then years later, Jason is alive and killing people, but Pamela is also alive. Then you have it that the final girl finds Pamela near the end and tries to get her to help, but when she learns her son is apparently alive, she tries to kill her but the final girl cuts her head off before Jason finds her and attacks.
    Who has the rights to what regarding Friday the 13th because Maybe we could get A Friday the 13th without Jason? better then nothing I suppose
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Who has the rights to what regarding Friday the 13th because Maybe we could get A Friday the 13th without Jason? better then nothing I suppose

Going back to the original, then? I wouldn't mind since that one remains one of my favourites. :)

But I'm not sure it works that way. From a commercial point of view, I'd say that trying to sell a F13 without Jason is like trying to sell a NOES without Freddy. I doubt that people would buy it at this point in the series. Also, if rights issues prevent them from making another "Jason" flick, I'm fairly certain that the "Friday the 13th" title is in rights jail just as well. Something that comes close enough to the series but isn't a part of it, would just be another "dead teenagers at a lake" movie; the irony of it would be that audiences might reject that for treading too close to the F13 template. ;-)

Personally, I think that in this day and age of crossovers and team-ups and whatnot, a film with "just" Jason in it might not even be all that interesting to the target demographic anymore. And by the way, the target demographic, we ain't. No-one would make a F13 for fans of the originals anymore. Let's face it: FvJ was something of a final love letter to the veteran fans. Filmmakers nowadays would instead try to appeal to the new young tween crowd, to those that would spend "date night" at the theatre consuming a bloody slasher film, not to those who are more inclined to stay at home with their families and maybe rent the movie eventually. But how do you get a horror icon twice the age of tweens today to still appeal to them, while all they seem to want is another Avengers film? My money is on more and bigger crossovers, like FvJ, but then even wilder and crazier. And giving all these obnoxious rights issues, that seems like a never-gonna-happen, particularly with such low demands for these types of films. Even if they throw Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, Chucky, Ghostface, Jigsaw AND Ash into one big pot, it's doubtful that such a film would ever make "It: Chapter 1" money. Unless these slashers of old mysteriously manage to become the new cool again, they feel like something that has to earn people's craving hard before they come back in style. We cannot rely on their used-to-be popularity to just make a good buck with every next instalment that they throw at us.

The last couple of TCM's and Jeepers Creepers, basically anything past 2010, were far more miss than they were hit. While us, die-hards, want more product out of the good old slasher series, most audiences seem to have buried them with the '80s and '90s. Halloween 2018 proved an interesting exception, as did the last two DTD Chucky films, albeit critically rather than financially in the latter case; but what Halloween 2020 will pull off and if the somewhat 'okay' performance of Child's Play 2019 can generate more income, remains to be seen. I haven't my hopes up too high. Meanwhile, they keep hurling plans for a revival of Hellraiser, Freddy, Scream and more at us like confetti. They have been for many years, in fact. So where are these movies? Between obscure sequels and short-lived TV series, not a lot is going on. Perhaps it's fitting that a hardcore fan of slashers has to take up this role, but I can only declare most of them dead and buried.

But hey, as a slasher fan, I also know that some dead don't necessarily stay that way. Who knows, someone out there might crack the code, someone out there might hex them back alive. I hope someone will, and this time for at least another decade of gory fun. But the current trends seem to gravitate more towards new King adaptations, James Wan's angry ghosts and haunted houses, and the 'elevated' horrors in the vein of Midsommar, The Witch, Us and more. That, as well as those insipid rights issues, seems to be keeping us from the knives, machetes, scissors and chainsaws we're cravening, cunninghamming and carpentering for. ;-)

Going back to the original, then? I wouldn't mind since that one remains one of my favourites. :)

But I'm not sure it works that way. From a commercial point of view, I'd say that trying to sell a F13 without Jason is like trying to sell a NOES without Freddy. I doubt that people would buy it at this point in the series. Also, if rights issues prevent them from making another "Jason" flick, I'm fairly certain that the "Friday the 13th" title is in rights jail just as well. Something that comes close enough to the series but isn't a part of it, would just be another "dead teenagers at a lake" movie; the irony of it would be that audiences might reject that for treading too close to the F13 template. ;-)

Personally, I think that in this day and age of crossovers and team-ups and whatnot, a film with "just" Jason in it might not even be all that interesting to the target demographic anymore. And by the way, the target demographic, we ain't. No-one would make a F13 for fans of the originals anymore. Let's face it: FvJ was something of a final love letter to the veteran fans. Filmmakers nowadays would instead try to appeal to the new young tween crowd, to those that would spend "date night" at the theatre consuming a bloody slasher film, not to those who are more inclined to stay at home with their families and maybe rent the movie eventually. But how do you get a horror icon twice the age of tweens today to still appeal to them, while all they seem to want is another Avengers film? My money is on more and bigger crossovers, like FvJ, but then even wilder and crazier. And giving all these obnoxious rights issues, that seems like a never-gonna-happen, particularly with such low demands for these types of films. Even if they throw Freddy, Jason, Michael, Pinhead, Chucky, Ghostface, Jigsaw AND Ash into one big pot, it's doubtful that such a film would ever make "It: Chapter 1" money. Unless these slashers of old mysteriously manage to become the new cool again, they feel like something that has to earn people's craving hard before they come back in style. We cannot rely on their used-to-be popularity to just make a good buck with every next instalment that they throw at us.

The last couple of TCM's and Jeepers Creepers, basically anything past 2010, were far more miss than they were hit. While us, die-hards, want more product out of the good old slasher series, most audiences seem to have buried them with the '80s and '90s. Halloween 2018 proved an interesting exception, as did the last two DTD Chucky films, albeit critically rather than financially in the latter case; but what Halloween 2020 will pull off and if the somewhat 'okay' performance of Child's Play 2019 can generate more income, remains to be seen. I haven't my hopes up too high. Meanwhile, they keep hurling plans for a revival of Hellraiser, Freddy, Scream and more at us like confetti. They have been for many years, in fact. So where are these movies? Between obscure sequels and short-lived TV series, not a lot is going on. Perhaps it's fitting that a hardcore fan of slashers has to take up this role, but I can only declare most of them dead and buried.

But hey, as a slasher fan, I also know that some dead don't necessarily stay that way. Who knows, someone out there might crack the code, someone out there might hex them back alive. I hope someone will, and this time for at least another decade of gory fun. But the current trends seem to gravitate more towards new King adaptations, James Wan's angry ghosts and haunted houses, and the 'elevated' horrors in the vein of Midsommar, The Witch, Us and more. That, as well as those insipid rights issues, seems to be keeping us from the knives, machetes, scissors and chainsaws we're cravening, cunninghamming and carpentering for. ;-)

A Pamela Voorhees trilogy while this Jason stuff gets sorted out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    What would you think of this approach in the future @Risico007 @DarthDimi??

So you have it that Jason disappeared and supposedly drowned, so Pamela kills the original counsellors that were supposed to be watching him (and not just the couple), then years later, Jason is alive and killing people, but Pamela is also alive. Then you have it that the final girl finds Pamela near the end and tries to get her to help, but when she learns her son is apparently alive, she tries to kill her but the final girl cuts her head off before Jason finds her and attacks.
    What would you think of this approach in the future @Risico007 @DarthDimi??

So you have it that Jason disappeared and supposedly drowned, so Pamela kills the original counsellors that were supposed to be watching him (and not just the couple), then years later, Jason is alive and killing people, but Pamela is also alive. Then you have it that the final girl finds Pamela near the end and tries to get her to help, but when she learns her son is apparently alive, she tries to kill her but the final girl cuts her head off before Jason finds her and attacks.

Again I feel that with the right creative minds the limits put on a franchise like Jason won't be hindrances but challenges. do I think an elevated horror film focusing on the character of Pamela and watching her evolve from victim to killer over the course of 3 films will bring in the box office mullah... I don't know but it will give more intrigue and back story to the character and allow fans of the franchise to enjoy something new...

Again if I had a gun to my head and said make a Friday movie without Jason I would likely do a 3 film treatment regarding Pamela

Film 1 she would be the victim and final girl as some one kills off her fellow councelers
    Film 2 she falls in love with a man but he dies as she is pregnant (again we can't name Jason so the unborn child is unnamed but clearly is Jason) the twist is we find out she goes on vengeance so all the deaths are people who cause her husband to die
    Film 3 a loose remake of the first movie with little to no mention of Jason depending on if the rights got fixed or not.

Again there is a lot to unpack with Pamela and the first film and there is a lot of intrigue you could do but the questions is will they and will Friday fans even want the proposed trilogy I just came up with.

A Pamela Voorhees trilogy while this Jason stuff gets sorted out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

But that's the thing. If the rights to F13 are in "lockdown", how could they make a Pamela Voorhees anything? Surely her name is included in the protected package.