The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    2020 Toyota GR Yaris
    lmiu0qqfg76xtqbu3sex.jpg
    $44,950 aud for this tiny shit box.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that looks awesome and it sounds like an absolute hoot.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    A hoot it will be, just wait for it to appear on the Rallye-circuit. With AWD and 261 bhp it should make a lasting impression, just like one of its predecessors:

latest?cb=20190202162144
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    260bhp is nuts, love it.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,354
    zebrafish wrote: »
    A hoot it will be, just wait for it to appear on the Rallye-circuit. With AWD and 261 bhp it should make a lasting impression, just like one of its predecessors:

latest?cb=20190202162144
    Those celica rally cars were great.

They already have a yaris rally car and it looks ugly.
    car-gallery_image01_L.jpg
    Nowadays, all toyotas look like Michael Bay's transformers to me. To much design motifs cramped into a little space. Not agreeable on the eyes, IMO.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Univex wrote: »
    Nowadays, all toyotas look like Michael Bay's transformers to me. To much design motifs cramped into a little space. Not agreeable on the eyes, IMO.

I agree. A shame, some of them used to be rather pretty.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

I agree. A shame, some of them used to be rather pretty.

The 86 and Supra look good.
    2020-toyota-86-trd-handling-package-first-drive.jpg
    2020-toyota-supra-03.jpg
    The GR Supra's design can't deny its shared heritage with the BMW Z4, especially the short rear. Similar to what Mazda and Fiat did with the MX-5 and the 124 Spider.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The GR Supra's design can't deny its shared heritage with the BMW Z4, especially the short rear. Similar to what Mazda and Fiat did with the MX-5 and the 124 Spider.

That's why I like it! :) I wish BMW did a coupe version.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 13,894

latest?cb=20190202162144

Again, I don't like Japanese cars, but I see that and think of it's predecessor and Carlos Sainz. Back in... '95, when he was down near my neck of the woods, in Margam, he screwed the engine putting himself out of the Rally completely. He gets gets out, goes around to the back of the car, takes off his helmet, and hurls it through the rear window.

Some cars are synonymous with certain drivers. Sainz and his Celica, McRae and the Foucs and Mouton and her Quattro S1.

latest?cb=20190202162144

Again, I don't like Japanese cars, but I see that and think of it's predecessor and Carlos Sainz. Back in... '95, when he was down near my neck of the woods, in Margam, he screwed the engine putting himself out of the Rally completely. He gets gets out, goes around to the back of the car, takes off his helmet, and hurls it through the rear window.

Some cars are synonymous with certain drivers. Sainz and his Celica, McRae and the Foucs and Mouton and her Quattro S1.

Those celica rally cars were amazing. You've gotta watch this.
    Regarding the spectators at Rallyes, I get a Pamplona-vibe from all this. Some of these people must relish the thought of being killed any minute.
    Anyway, for comic relief make sure to watch the segment from 1:29 to 1:40 (but beware - in other scenes people get seriously hurt!)

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Group B Rallying, where the cars got faster and the safefty precautions got..... remained non existant.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

YOu mean like this:
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,979
    I’ve got one of those. I might be biased but I think it looks great :)
    (Yes 007inaction, we know you think it’s ugly :D )
    That's a beautiful looking car.
    The Z8 is one of my favourite looking BMW's. The perfect designed car ?
    bmw-z8-prices-are-going-through-the-roof-81460_1.jpg
    The Yaris does look good mtm :)>-
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do like the Z8, although as the Bond stunt one was based on a Cobra replica chassis I always see Cobra a bit!
    I saw someone in the States did a really good Z8 replica based on a body panel replacement of a Z4 mk1 a few years back.

BMW_Z8_Replica_Z4_0.jpg
    BMW_Z8_Replica_Z4_3.JPG

The proportions are very slightly off, but it's the sort of thing you don't spot in the flesh if the build quality is high enough. Looks very impressive I think.

I always find it funny that when I see the Bond one on show you can see that the bonnet shutlines are actually black stickers as the body is all one piece of fibreglass!

mtm wrote: »
    I do like the Z8, although as the Bond stunt one was based on a Cobra replica chassis I always see Cobra a bit!
    I saw someone in the States did a really good Z8 replica based on a body panel replacement of a Z4 mk1 a few years back.

BMW_Z8_Replica_Z4_0.jpg
    BMW_Z8_Replica_Z4_3.JPG

The proportions are very slightly off, but it's the sort of thing you don't spot in the flesh if the build quality is high enough. Looks very impressive I think.

I always find it funny that when I see the Bond one on show you can see that the bonnet shutlines are actually black stickers as the body is all one piece of fibreglass!

Interesting stuff.
    The hard top looks better than the canvas.
    bmw-z8-silv-1-w746h497.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a real one though, yeah? Must say I've not seen a hardtop before.

They're really valuable now. I don't think I've seen any on the road for a year or two now.
    mtm wrote: »
    That's a real one though, yeah? Must say I've not seen a hardtop before.

They're really valuable now.

I wonder if they will lose value when electric cars become the norm ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well that's a very big question, I have no idea what the plans for infrastructure will be. I'm sure petrol stations will be around in some form for many years to come even if they gradually get phased out.
    Group B Rallying, where the cars got faster and the safefty precautions got..... remained non existant.

The good ol days........ :))

Audi Quattro
    roa070118dpt-boot-themoment1b-2-1529460648.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=1200:*
    On Board with Mike Hawthorn at Le Mans 1956 | D-type Jaguar

I don't know how youtube don't get sued for copyright with all the video clips they have ?
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    Just sold my 2016 Mark 7 GTI and am looking to upgrade into a 7.5 GTI or R. I'm going for a test drive of a Lapiz Blue 2020 R tomorrow. It's definitely my preference, but there's a fully optioned Performance GTI available that I'm keen on too... decisions. The R is more desirable, but the GTI makes more financial sense, although the repayments on either aren't that far apart.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes those Rs sound like incredible machines.
    On Board with Mike Hawthorn at Le Mans 1956 | D-type Jaguar

I don't know how youtube don't get sued for copyright with all the video clips they have ?

Brilliant. One of the most beautiful cars ever. Love them in the style of Ecurie Ecosse.

The good ol days........ :))

Audi Quattro
    roa070118dpt-boot-themoment1b-2-1529460648.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=1200:*

It’s crazy to see how it was back then. People standing on the road, only moving mere seconds before a car comes flying past.

Octopussy wrote: »
    Just sold my 2016 Mark 7 GTI and am looking to upgrade into a 7.5 GTI or R. I'm going for a test drive of a Lapiz Blue 2020 R tomorrow. It's definitely my preference, but there's a fully optioned Performance GTI available that I'm keen on too... decisions. The R is more desirable, but the GTI makes more financial sense, although the repayments on either aren't that far apart.

New car prices are a rip off. They depreciate so fast.
    I always buy used cars.
    What do you guys prefer ?