The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Maserati GranTurismo
    maserati-gran-turismo-098.jpg?width=1024
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    2017-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Quadrifoglio-Verde-front-three-quarters-in-motion-e1484764173422.jpg
    Tesla Cybertruck
    czqbpi89fwnvl2qjocpv.jpg
    Yikes..... :)]
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    2017-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Quadrifoglio-Verde-front-three-quarters-in-motion-e1484764173422.jpg

I can't, for the life of me, force myself to like that, even knowing about it's superior quality in every sense, not when the last iteration looked like this:

screen-0.jpg?fakeurl=1&type=.jpg

The design has gone to hell. It's just another BMW, looks wise.
    Maserati GranTurismo
    maserati-gran-turismo-098.jpg?width=1024

Beautiful. Let's just hope the next gen will be somewhat close to this ;)

alfieri-1569609760.jpg?crop=0.902xw:0.750xh;0.00801xw,0.144xh&resize=1200:*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    i only just noticed they had a look at the Goldfinger DB5 on the One Show last week (towards the end): https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000mfyx/the-one-show-09092020
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    lBTwZgr.jpg

Bugatti EB110. The pictured car is the last SS model built.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Univex wrote: »

I can't, for the life of me, force myself to like that, even knowing about it's superior quality in every sense, not when the last iteration looked like this:

Tbh that's what I thought as well when the car came out, but the design has grown on me. And as BMW's are getting uglier by the day, this is still a haven for those who want something different. It works better irl than in pictures too. But there's a reason why I'm still chuffing around in a 156... ;-)

Tbh that's what I thought as well when the car came out, but the design has grown on me. And as BMW's are getting uglier by the day, this is still a haven for those who want something different. It works better irl than in pictures too. But there's a reason why I'm still chuffing around in a 156... ;-)

Alfa's are notoriously unreliable.
    How's the 156 ?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I had an Alfa for a few years and it went great guns: I think the only things that failed were a power steering pump and a lamda sensor. Mind you, my mate had the same model as me but made a few years later: the materials they made it with had all got cheaper and he had a pretty bad time with it, including the door handles repeatedly failing to work! :)

Actually now I think about it, the glove box handle did fall off one day (there was a hole for a screw in it but they hadn’t bothered putting one in!). And the lumbar adjustment in the seat collapsed one day. And it had an ABS failure... actually maybe it wasn’t that great! :D

How's the 156 ?

Nothing to complain about. Over 300.000 km and still going strong. Of course it's had it's problems here and there, it's 20 y/o, but on the whole I'm quite amazed. Still goes like a dream. I've had plenty of opportunities to replace it with new cars, but they just don't measure up. nowhere near as much fun to drive.

Alfa's have character, treat them well and they'll treat you well.... ;-)
    Man, I sure miss mine.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2020 Posts: 6,806

How's the 156 ?

I'd still prefer the flawed beauties that are Alfa's, which are so terribly fun to drive, over tasteless, aggressive, technology-heavy, self-proclaimed 'premium' brands, such as BMW or Audi, that non-petrolheads believe successful human beings ought to own ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BMWs are terribly fun to drive too, though. Audis I've found don't always quite have the dynamics, but they (and BMs) do have the power that Alfas always seemed to lack. I remember being quite keen to get one of those Alfa Breras back in the day but they looked pretty gutless on paper (and where have they all gone?). Although that new(ish) Giulia above is a bit of a beast.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,357
    2021 BMW iNext
    837134638c1fbb91b097f74ba6134b47.jpg
    Ugliest BMW ever ?

5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,497
    GoldenGun wrote: »

How's the 156 ?

I'd still prefer the flawed beauties that are Alfa's, which are so terribly fun to drive, over tasteless, aggressive, technology-heavy, self-proclaimed 'premium' brands, such as BMW or Audi, that non-petrolheads believe successful human beings ought to own ;)

You can be a petrolhead and own Audi's.

Or am I not one because we have two

You can even like both Alfa and Audi, imagine that.
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.

I think this is the Z Proto concept
    Front looks a bit bland ?
    5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.

Sigh. The actual car will look exactly the same.

5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.

I hope not.
    Eh-DjoYWkAA8MpV?format=jpg&name=large
    This guy is not impressed...... :)>-
    5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.

I hope not.

You don't like anything at all. This is not the purpose of this thread.
    5kSEOSZ.jpg

se4Sme9.jpg

i9H20RS.jpg

The new Nissan Z.

I hope not.

You don't like anything at all. This is not the purpose of this thread.

I like this better.
    1024px-Mondial_de_l%27Automobile_2010%2C_Paris_-_France_%285058344615%29.jpg
    Good. I like it too, but opinions aren't facts.

:)>- :)>- :)>-
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    No idea why you keep saying that.

I think it looks good, the last one was too complicated. I think I prefer the back end though- that's really successful in my eyes.
    mtm wrote: »

I think it looks good, the last one was too complicated. I think I prefer the back end though- that's really successful in my eyes.

Because some folks in this thread see their dislike of certain cars as the truth, which it isn't.

Back on topic: I actually like all of the Z's...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

Because some folks in this thread see their dislike of certain cars as the truth, which it isn't.

Not the ones who put question marks after their opinions on the front of the car and say 'I hope not' regarding the finished one, nope.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2020 Posts: 13,905
    I don’t care for Japanese cars. Don’t get me wrong, they are strong well built cars, but I find them to be bland looking. They just don’t do it for me.

As for Audi and BMW, I could pick out a handful of cars from them which I like, but the biggest problem about both, is what sits behind the wheel. Generally speaking. There may be a few considerate owners, but there is a reason they both have bad reputations. The bad drivers far outweigh the good ones.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,114
    I don’t care for Japanese cars. Don’t get me wrong, they are strong well built cars, but I find them to be bland looking. They just don’t do it for me.

That's kind of why I prefer the back end on that one: it actually looks quite strongly Japanese, and I like that about it. It's not pretending to be anything else.
    The belt line down the side is rather lovely too, I think.
    As for Audi and BMW, I could pick out a handful of cars from them which I like, but the biggest problem about both, is what sits behind the wheel. Generally speaking. There may be a few considerate owners, but there is a reason they both have bad reputations. The bad drivers far outweigh the good ones.

Considering the huge amounts of them on the road, I really think that statement is fairly easily disproved, especially if you're in Europe. Next time you go for a drive count the number of BMWs you pass and see if you can detect them driving badly.

BMW drivers, imho, are far worse.

I have my driving license since 2004 and did not get a speeding ticket yet. ;-) The only tickets I got were parking & "LEZ" ones. (one each lol).

I had the same opinion until I got my mx5 ND. Heck, I still have the same opinion, bar for the mazdas.

I had the same opinion until I got my mx5 ND. Heck, I still have the same opinion, bar for the mazdas.

My favorite Japanse brand is Mazda... :-)

We have owned two Hondas (1978 Accord & 1988 Civic), and they were good cars.
    If the local dealership hadn't been so dishonest about the new driving shaft for the Civic, maybe my dad would've still had a Honda...