The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

That sort of thing happens all the time with cars names :D This one, though, is priceless.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    2021 BMW M3 and M4 revealed, officially
    rbz9c89fn3knmvgduf9u.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Pretty nice, but I wouldn't mind if they stopped trying to make their cars look angry.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677
    rbz9c89fn3knmvgduf9u.jpg

Can't help but think they would've benefited from Alfa's design technique of allocating their licence plates to the side instead of posting them on top of their rather prominent grills. They would look better, IMO.

On another note, this one looks and sounds brilliant:

Can't help but think they're taking some stylistic notes from Mazda, as they've presented the roadster in this American spec version, with the cherry top and grey paint. Just as the Mx5.

my18_mx-5_st_overview_darkcherryroof-3-mobile.jpg
    Univex wrote: »
    rbz9c89fn3knmvgduf9u.jpg

Can't help but think they would've benefited from Alfa's design technique of allocating their licence plates to the side instead of posting them on top of their rather prominent grills. They would look better, IMO.

On another note, this one looks and sounds brilliant:

Can't help but think they're taking some stylistic notes from Mazda, as they've presented the roadster in this American spec version, with the cherry top and grey paint. Just as the Mx5.

my18_mx-5_st_overview_darkcherryroof-3-mobile.jpg

I don't like the bmw's ,too much grille.

The aston does look similar to the mazzzzda.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    No, not at all. Unless you think they both look like the BMW Z4, etc..
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

The Vantage and MX5 have pretty similar drop snouts with little angry headlamps and big wade gaping grilles.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »

The Vantage and MX5 have pretty similar drop snouts with little angry headlamps and big wade gaping grilles.

Well, if that all it takes to look alike... but the shape of the grilles are utterly different. The bodywork is utterly different and the back ends don't even look remotely familliar. The Z4 has a bit of a drop snout too, as do many other roadsters. comes with the aerodinamics and beeing a roadster. I'd even say the Tesla roadster looks more like th AM than the Mazda does.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,981
    You either see it or you don't I guess, and yeah I was talking about the front. The Z4 doesn't have a drop snout, no- its grille is much higher, between the headlamps.

uH9cGYn1.jpg
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited September 2020 Posts: 6,791
    rbz9c89fn3knmvgduf9u.jpg

Ghastly and aggressive.

I always did like the Z3, Z8 and Z4. That's where my BMW appreciation ends, though I would never have guessed they'd be this ugly.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Enough with the toothy faced beavers beamers. A company that always gets the looks right is Alfa Romeo:

Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2021
    Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-review.jpg

Get comfortable in the Giulia, baby:
    Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-interior.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm not a massive fan of the current Alfas to be honest, they're a bit blobby. And again: another angry face. They do always do a nice interior though (even if they fall apart and the switches don't work! :) ).
    I'm not a massive fan of the current Alfas to be honest, they're a bit blobby. And again: another angry face. They do always do a nice interior though (even if they fall apart and the switches don't work! :) ).

I don't like the current alfa's either with that awful shaped grille and lights.
    Do they still fall apart ?
    Tesla Model S Plaid: 60 In Under 2 Seconds, 1/4 Mile Under 9 Seconds, 200 MPH Top Speed, 520+ Mile Range
    Tesla-Model-S-Plaid-1a.webp
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I can't say about the very latest ones, I know some friends of mine had a new one about three or four years ago maybe and ended up getting rid of it because of the problems. It was one with one of those 'DNA' driving mode switches and either the switch or the software was faulty which meant it kept switching modes by itself and was almost undriveable.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Enough with the toothy faced beavers beamers. A company that always gets the looks right is Alfa Romeo:

Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2021
    Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-review.jpg

Get comfortable in the Giulia, baby:
    Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-interior.jpg

Right on. Bellisimo :x
    Nothing beats Italian elegance.
    2009-2010 Holden VE Commodore SS V
    2009-2010_Holden_VE_Commodore_SS_V_sedan_01.jpg
    1959 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
    1959-Ferrari-250-Testa-Rossa-main-(1).jpg
    2020 Jaguar F-Type
    Gallery-2020-Jaguar-F-Type-performance.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The F Type is another one that's got all angry. I think it's become a little blander as a result, but it still looks good overall.
    The F Type is another one that's got all angry. I think it's become a little blander as a result, but it still looks good overall.

You have a point about the angriness, I wouldn't mind some old school circular headlights for a change.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

You have a point about the angriness, I wouldn't mind some old school circular headlights for a change.

It needs a chrome grille like the Bentley Continental GT
    bentley-1-of-1-10.jpg?w=1390&crop=1
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Not every car looks angry. Here are a few to lighten up the mood, although it is hard to find modern ones. Seems to me that smaller cars are generally the happiest, possibly when women-drivers are the target group. The Ferrari F40 is probably the exception at the other end of the spectrum.
    2be38b6b09f363edbb6e0b2a74ea5f3d.jpg

216280.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1austin-healey-frogeye-sprite_33511.jpg2011-lotus-elise_100306566.jpg
    $_45.jpgnissan-figaro-ams-mdb-254172-08fc0bdc6562e7bdf1b07e2a7b43664d-1.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I see the new series of Top Gear features an F40, that should be fun. I think they still have enormous presence.
    Aston Martin One-77
    Will-Broadhead-Aston-Martin-One-77-8-2000x1333.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    rbz9c89fn3knmvgduf9u.jpg
    As somebody for whom BMW has been, for the last 31 years, the only brand I owned twice (I had two Opels in my prime), I find just about everything churned out from Munich, Dingolfing or Spartanburg these days simply butt-ugly, about equally as was the case in the early Chris Bangle days (mindus the Z 8). There seems to be a pattern by which Mercedes and BMW sort of keep changing places for a while being the one to make handsome cars, while the other produces atrocities.

I loved my E30 316i (1989 - 1992...the only car I ever leased instead of bought, which is why I didn't keep it longer). But the E36 was revolting in its looks. I still don't like it. My E93 (330d Cabrio) is now 12 1/2 years old and has over 200,000 kms on the clock...but IMO it still looks far better than those pseudo-testosteron-infused 4 series, especially the abomination pictured here.

My next car will only come once the BMW (probably) or my now-"first" car (2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee) kicks the bucket, but I dare say it will be a smallish compact, maybe even somewhat electric, of Japanese or Korean origin.
    Yep, love the E30ties. It was either going to be an E30 or the Alfa I finally bought. I love the new Alfa's too, and personally don't mind cars looking a bit agressive. I love the new Guilia. The Stelvio doesn't look agressive to me at all, but it's another car that looks very different IRL than on pictures.
    The new Beamers however are very, very ugly indeed. It's not just the agressiveness, it's the shouting of it that makes them so ugly. Way too many lines and those gaping mouths don't help one bit.
    Here's another friendly looking car:

amphibious-vehicle-tang-hua-motors-odd-looking-car.jpeg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Aston Martin One-77

My local garage has had a couple of them for sale but I've missed them both times. A shame because they're an incredibly rare car to see- I've only ever seen one, in the Park Lane dealership when they came out.
    Aston Martin One-77

My local garage has had a couple of them for sale but I've missed them both times. A shame because they're an incredibly rare car to see- I've only ever seen one, in the Park Lane dealership when they came out.

You should have taken one for a test drive. Only 77 built i think.

In May 2012, one of the 77 was involved in a crash in Hong Kong and was written off, reducing the number of total cars in existence to 76.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Really, written off? It would take quite a massive accident to actually write one off considering how valuable it is- it must've been a complete wreck! :) Hope everyone was okay.

The Victor was based on a prototype model that Aston still had, I think.
    Really, written off? It would take quite a massive accident to actually write one off considering how valuable it is- it must've been a complete wreck! :) Hope everyone was okay.

The Victor was based on a prototype model that Aston still had, I think.

Aston Martin Victor
    b7yoz2teq2srnogycafm.jpg
    Looks average.