The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    This seems a very striking thing. I don't know much about it.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Octopussy wrote: »
    Just sold my 2016 Mark 7 GTI and am looking to upgrade into a 7.5 GTI or R. I'm going for a test drive of a Lapiz Blue 2020 R tomorrow. It's definitely my preference, but there's a fully optioned Performance GTI available that I'm keen on too... decisions. The R is more desirable, but the GTI makes more financial sense, although the repayments on either aren't that far apart.

New car prices are a rip off. They depreciate so fast.
    I always buy used cars.
    What do you guys prefer ?

Well, considering I just bought a used car yesterday.... :-D

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What did you get?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mtm wrote: »
    What did you get?

Well, an Alfa of course ;-)

a Giuliette 1.4T (170HP) in this colour:

alfa-romeo-giulietta-review-pictures.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2020 Posts: 14,983
    Very nice! I’m still amazed they get that much power out of little engines, makes you wonder why it took them so long to figure it out! :)
    Does it go well?
    What did you get?

Alfista power! Congrats, @CommanderRoss.
    Very nice! I’m still amazed they get that much power out of little engines, makes you wonder why it took them so long to figure it out! :)
    Does it go well?

Like a rocket! It's got three settings, Dynamic, Neutral and All Weather (yes, DNA). Driving in neutral is sporty enough, but dynamic is where the real fun lies! It responds extremely well, and the steering is as direct as can be. Without any effort it went up to 200km/h. As the road I was driving on has a 100 km/h restriction, I thought it better not to test anymore than that.
    It's fantastic fun to drive, and mine has just about all the optional extra's you can wish for (and some I wouldn't wish for). Leather seats (cognac coloured), satnav, panorama roof, the works.

Thanks @Univex !
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is it me or is the new drive-in format of Top Gear actually a slightly genius idea?
    Does it go well?

Like a rocket! It's got three settings, Dynamic, Neutral and All Weather (yes, DNA). Driving in neutral is sporty enough, but dynamic is where the real fun lies! It responds extremely well, and the steering is as direct as can be. Without any effort it went up to 200km/h. As the road I was driving on has a 100 km/h restriction, I thought it better not to test anymore than that.
    It's fantastic fun to drive, and mine has just about all the optional extra's you can wish for (and some I wouldn't wish for). Leather seats (cognac coloured), satnav, panorama roof, the works.

Thanks @Univex !

Ah wonderful stuff, I love Alfa interiors, they really know how to spec them well. I remember when I had my Alfa my boss was shocked that I had more luxury toys in there than he did: and he had a brand new Aston Martin.
    Nice to hear it goes well, that's a good amount of power. I know those DNA systems are known for developing faults and a friend of mine's suffered from it, but I think maybe they will have sorted that out by the time yours was built.
    Enjoy it though! It looks lovely.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    What did you get?

Very nice, both the car and the colour. You ready to play Russian roulette with the electrics? 😉
    Does it go well?

Thanks @Univex !

I had a Mito with Cognac leather as well, in alfa rosso, a quadrifoglio. Miss it like hell.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,355
    Does it go well?

Thanks @Univex !

"Without any effort it went up to 200km/h" :))
    Ross the BOSS........ :)>-
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    What did you get?

Stunning! Enjoy!
  • OctopussyOctopussy Piz Gloria, Schilthorn, Switzerland.
    My Dad used to have a Guiletta. Great car! I drove a 2020 Golf R 7.5 this afternoon and surprisingly, I was left numb. Prior to driving the car, I thought I was going to fall head over heels for the car, but having driven one, and this may be a controversial opinion, I found it a bit dull. It's insanely fast and capable, but perhaps as a former 2x Alfa owner myself, I found this a little boring. The GTI is much more of a drivers car, you feel the speed a lot more then in the R, there's more theatre, more drama. That's why I'll be going for a GTI again.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has seen this but an international trailer with slightly different footage has gone live. It shows some of the Atlantic road footage and has a new musical cues.

Check out the first scene, there are some cool cars parked on the square. A red Ferrari 308 GT 4 on the left and on the right what possibly looks like the front of a dark BMW 2002 or an Alfa Romeo Giulia GT.
    And the Maserati Biturbo on the bridge, of course. NTTD turns out to be a great movie for enthusiasts of classic cars.

@zebrafish Hopefully this pic doesn't count as a spoiler, I don't think it should be, but there's another classic in the Matera bit you can see here. Any idea what it is? Maybe a Fiat 1200?

RHsYpty.jpg
    What did you get?

Very nice, both the car and the colour. You ready to play Russian roulette with the electrics? 😉

The previous owner was an alfist who changed from gasoline to diesel because of the amount of driving and the Dutch system which benefits diesels for frequent and long driving and gasoline for day-to-day use. I think the switch of which is more profitable comes at about 30.000km per year.
    He took very, very good care of the car and up until now the Giulietta drives like a charm, and feels as luxurious as a far more expensive car.
    Univex wrote: »
    Does it go well?

Thanks @Univex !

I had a Mito with Cognac leather as well, in alfa rosso, a quadrifoglio. Miss it like hell.

Hahaha that's definately the works! Excellent! As you said before, it feels like you're actually driving a high performance car!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade

Check out the first scene, there are some cool cars parked on the square. A red Ferrari 308 GT 4 on the left and on the right what possibly looks like the front of a dark BMW 2002 or an Alfa Romeo Giulia GT.
    And the Maserati Biturbo on the bridge, of course. NTTD turns out to be a great movie for enthusiasts of classic cars.

@zebrafish Hopefully this pic doesn't count as a spoiler, I don't think it should be, but there's another classic in the Matera bit you can see here. Any idea what it is? Maybe a Fiat 1200?

RHsYpty.jpg

Oh yes, you are right, a Fiat 1200 Spider from around 1960! The private image from Matera in the other thread gives it away.

IMG_1723.JPG?itok=XT6kTj3A
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited October 2020 Posts: 6,791

RHsYpty.jpg

Oh yes, you are right, a Fiat 1200 Spider from around 1960! The private image from Matera in the other thread gives it away.

I thought it looked like a Lancia Flaminia...

155727_377039ba3c7a52fe.jpg
    A Tesla Model Y owner has posted a video on social media, claiming the glass roof of their car flew off while driving.

Hey @elonmusk why didn't you tell us that Tesla sells convertibles now? Because the roof of our brand new model Y fell off on the highway pic.twitter.com/s8YNnu7m9L

— Nathaniel (@Nathani04992006) October 5, 2020
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/890788/tesla-owner-to-elon-our-roof-just-fell-off/
    A Tesla Model Y owner has posted a video on social media, claiming the glass roof of their car flew off while driving.

Hey @elonmusk why didn't you tell us that Tesla sells convertibles now? Because the roof of our brand new model Y fell off on the highway pic.twitter.com/s8YNnu7m9L

The guy selling me my alfa told me that the first series of Tesla's is still ok, but what they produce now hardly holds together. They've traded quality (american quality that is ;-) ) for production volume. So I'm not surprised....

The guy selling me my alfa told me that the first series of Tesla's is still ok, but what they produce now hardly holds together. They've traded quality (american quality that is ;-) ) for production volume. So I'm not surprised....

I've read and heard that the paint job and build quality aren't very good and that the seats are not that comfortable which is a bum steer. ;))
    Driving the best Bond cars ever!

I would take the db10.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    That was enjoyable. I like the idea of what a hydraulic handbrake adds to a car's performance, but it really is out of place in a classic car. But then the featured DB5 is really a new car disguising as a classic.
    The most affordable fun is probably to be had with the Esprit. I love everything about it.
    edited October 2020 Posts: 2,355
    That was enjoyable. I like the idea of what a hydraulic handbrake adds to a car's performance, but it really is out of place in a classic car. But then the featured DB5 is really a new car disguising as a classic.
    The most affordable fun is probably to be had with the Esprit. I love everything about it.

The Esprit was great in TSWLM and is still great today.
    I was standing next to one a few years ago and i couldn't believe how low the roof was.
    I don't know how roger got into the car being such a tall lad.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The in FYEO when he arrives at the ice rink it is a bit funny watching him having to almost roll out of it!
    2021 Audi E-Tron GT to get RS hero and jet sounds

The E-Tron GT and its RS counterpart will feature 'E-Sounds', developed to aid safety, as well as adding to the driving experience, which is normally silent in an electric vehicle.

The result is something similar to a jet engine powering up, with the noise modulating based on the engine data, before it is projected from a loudspeaker at the front of the vehicle. Speed and throttle position change the tone
    The in FYEO when he arrives at the ice rink it is a bit funny watching him having to almost roll out of it!

Roger doing his stunts as usual....... ;))

The E-Tron GT and its RS counterpart will feature 'E-Sounds', developed to aid safety, as well as adding to the driving experience, which is normally silent in an electric vehicle.

The result is something similar to a jet engine powering up, with the noise modulating based on the engine data, before it is projected from a loudspeaker at the front of the vehicle. Speed and throttle position change the tone

I know modern car-sounds are 'designed', but isn't this taking it a bit too far?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'll take the on-demand backfire option.

I know modern car-sounds are 'designed', but isn't this taking it a bit too far?

You'll probably be able to select any noise you want.
    A v8 would sound great :)>-
    Any other preferences ?

You'll probably be able to select any noise you want.
    A v8 would sound great :)>-
    Any other preferences ?

I'd probably go for the merlin engine of a spitfire, the Allison of a P40 Kittyhawk or the rotary engine of something like a Corsair.