The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    I don’t care for Japanese cars. Don’t get me wrong, they are strong well built cars, but I find them to be bland looking. They just don’t do it for me.

As for Audi and BMW, I could pick out a handful of cars from them which I like, but the biggest problem about both, is what sits behind the wheel. Generally speaking. There may be a few considerate owners, but there is a reason they both have bad reputations. The bad drivers far outweigh the good ones.

BMW drivers, imho, are far worse.

I have my driving license since 2004 and did not get a speeding ticket yet. ;-) The only tickets I got were parking & "LEZ" ones. (one each lol).

If the amount of speeding tickets is an indication of beeing a bad driver, I'm afraid to say I'm a horrific one. Although the amount has been greatly reduced thanks to the flitsmeister app.
    I'm not keen on audi's. The ones I drove felt like spaceships. No connection to the road whatsoever. They go fast for sure, but I do want to feel what it's doing. Bmw's I enjoyed far more, but not as much as alfa's, and they certainly don't look as good. Although not bad either, mind you, except for the latest iterations.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited September 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Btw: the Z won't come to Europe anymore because of the ridiculous "green deal".
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited September 2020 Posts: 2,357
    Univex wrote: »
    I don’t care for Japanese cars. Don’t get me wrong, they are strong well built cars, but I find them to be bland looking. They just don’t do it for me.

I had the same opinion until I got my mx5 ND. Heck, I still have the same opinion, bar for the mazdas.

My favorite Japanse brand is Mazda... :-)

We have owned two Hondas (1978 Accord & 1988 Civic), and they were good cars.
    If the local dealership hadn't been so dishonest about the new driving shaft for the Civic, maybe my dad would've still had a Honda...

Most dealerships and mechanics are dishonest from my experience.
    Anyone disagree ?

I had the same opinion until I got my mx5 ND. Heck, I still have the same opinion, bar for the mazdas.

If the local dealership hadn't been so dishonest about the new driving shaft for the Civic, maybe my dad would've still had a Honda...

Anyone disagree ?

Well, frankly, when you use the word "most" it's hard to. As it would be if I said "most" people are no good to begin with ;)

But yes, it's a hard dubious trade. That's why I always go to the brand dealership and mechanics, because the've got to follow a set of very strict rules defined and checked by the brand.

Anyone disagree ?

Well, frankly, when you use the word "most" it's hard to. As it would be if I said "most" people are no good to begin with ;)

But yes, it's a hard dubious trade. That's why I always go to the brand dealership and mechanics, because the've got to follow a set of very strict rules defined and checked by the brand.

I was going to say ALL dealerships and mechanics are dishonest from my experience. :))

I've always done the basic servicing on my cars myself. Oil, filters,belts,leads etc

Only taken it to mechanics for the things i can't fix myself.

And to tell you the truth i am had enough of these Petrol engined cars because they are smelly ,dirty dinosaurs compared to the electric powered cars produced now and the ones that are coming. :)>-
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 6,677

Anyone disagree ?

I was going to say ALL dealerships and mechanics are dishonest from my experience. :))

I've always done the basic servicing on my cars myself. Oil, filters,belts,leads etc

And to tell you the truth i am had enough of these Petrol engined cars because they are smelly ,dirty dinosaurs compared to the electric powered cars produced now and the ones that are coming. :)>-

I guess I do still love smelly, dirty dinosaurs ;) eh eh

Anyone disagree ?

Petrol engined cars are like CRT tv's where electric powered cars are like LED tv's. ;))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Anyone disagree ?

Me too. I like roars they make ;)
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Anyone disagree ?

Me too. I like roars they make ;)

The vroom vroom noise is priceless...... ;))
    Electric cars make a replica engine noise too, through the speakers....
    And there's something about the mechanical and combustion side of things that makes them a bit raw and primitive and fiery. If only we'd find a cleaner way of running them. Electricity is the future, until 006's EMP, that is.

Yep, you can have the new Fiat 500 do the Tosca for all I care :D I'd rather have the vroom vroom ;)

Yep, you can have the new Fiat 500 do the Tosca for all I care :D I'd rather have the vroom vroom ;)

Noise is overrated ..... :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,085

Anyone disagree ?

Funnily enough that sort of intersects with my Alfa ownership: I had had mine for at least a couple of years I think, had had some new tyres fitted at some point and had the tracking done as par for the course, then a while later I took it to my dad's Jaguar guy to get something else done (maybe a new tyre fitted, I can't remember) and asked him to track it again, and when I got it back he said by the look of the car it hadn't been tracked in many, many years. And when I drove it home it was like a different car: the handling was even more amazing; like a go kart! :)
    So he certainly had tracked it, and the guys I paid to do it previously most certainly hadn't.

As for Audi and BMW, I could pick out a handful of cars from them which I like, but the biggest problem about both, is what sits behind the wheel. Generally speaking. There may be a few considerate owners, but there is a reason they both have bad reputations. The bad drivers far outweigh the good ones.

I have my driving license since 2004 and did not get a speeding ticket yet. ;-) The only tickets I got were parking & "LEZ" ones. (one each lol).

If the amount of speeding tickets is an indication of beeing a bad driver, I'm afraid to say I'm a horrific one. Although the amount has been greatly reduced thanks to the flitsmeister app.
    I'm not keen on audi's. The ones I drove felt like spaceships. No connection to the road whatsoever. They go fast for sure, but I do want to feel what it's doing. Bmw's I enjoyed far more, but not as much as alfa's, and they certainly don't look as good. Although not bad either, mind you, except for the latest iterations.

I agree with you on Audis, but not so much on BMWs. They can feel fantastic. Alfas do have great feel.
    mtm wrote: »

Anyone disagree ?

Funnily enough that sort of intersects with my Alfa ownership: I had had mine for at least a couple of years I think, had had some new tyres fitted at some point and had the tracking done as par for the course, then a while later I took it to my dad's Jaguar guy to get something else done (maybe a new tyre fitted, I can't remember) and asked him to track it again, and when I got it back he said by the look of the car it hadn't been tracked in many, many years. And when I drove it home it was like a different car: the handling was even more amazing; like a go kart! :)
    So he certainly had tracked it, and the guys I paid to do it previously most certainly hadn't.

I agree with you on Audis, but not so much on BMWs. They can feel fantastic. Alfas do have great feel.

That's so funny :))
    They are a bunch of con men that's what they are...... :)>-
    Fully-electric Range Rover and Jaguar XJ models confirmed, to be unveiled in late 2020 – report
    https://www.caradvice.com.au/884560/fully-electric-range-rover-and-jaguar-xj-models-confirmed-to-be-unveiled-in-late-2020-report/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think an XJ makes perfect sense as an electric car. Range Rover feels a slightly more odd fit but I'm sure it'll sell.

My local garage has two of these Zagato Vanquishes in stock at the moment and I popped by to have a look at them yesterday. I think unusually for Zagato editions they look better than the cars AM are producing from the factory.

IMG_32885-medium.jpg
    2020 ASTON MARTIN DBS GT ZAGATO
    2020-aston-martin-dbs-gt--30_1600x0.webp
    https://www.topspeed.com/cars/aston-martin/2020-aston-martin-dbs-gt-zagato-ar186739.html
    Yeah the zagato's do look better.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 15,085
    I don't think I've seen that one before. Yes, that's much nicer than the Superleggera, I think: it's actually got a bit of prettiness to it.

Not sure about the lack of rear window though! :)
    Audi E-Tron GT concept
    e-tron-promo.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's a bit of a beast, I like it.
    Audi E-Tron GT concept
    e-tron-promo.jpg

That's a very undecided grille. Audi's front grills have lost their charm as of late.
    Saw this today in Paris :

5c69ca72-f43e-11e6-80cd-9b4f6efc0801.jpg
    mtm wrote: »
    That's a bit of a beast, I like it.

Yeah it does look like a beast of a car.
    One of the better looking EV's so far.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Audi E-Tron GT concept
    e-tron-promo.jpg

That's a very undecided grille. Audi's front grills have lost their charm as of late.

Considering the fact that on electronic cars the Grille is nothing but a design feature, I don't mind. I think it looks awesome. Has a high 1980ies rally thing going.

But that name: E-tron. Is it a Transformer?
    Audi E-Tron GT concept
    e-tron-promo.jpg

Considering the fact that on electronic cars the Grille is nothing but a design feature, I don't mind. I think it looks awesome. Has a high 1980ies rally thing going.

But that name: E-tron. Is it a Transformer?

Maybe the brakes, electric engine and battery get some air cooling from the grille ?
    Well, considering the license plate will sit where "e-tron" is, I say the grill isn't that bad. I'd rather have the grill than none at all.
    If only you knew what "étron" means in french... :)
    Gerard wrote: »

turd right ? :))
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    You mean it's sort of Chevrolet No vá and Mitsubishi Pajero 2.0?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Gerard wrote: »

turd right ? :))

How did that happen? Don't they have someone in the Audi name-checking department that name-checks these things? Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Pajero (not a nice word in Spanish) or the Mitsubishi i-Miev ("Mief" is foul stink in German).