Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,686
    Cases in the USA are now surging in 26 states:

California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, Arkansas, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Delaware, Oregon, Idaho, West Virginia, Wyoming, Hawaii, Montana.

Cases are now surging in 27 states.

Cases are now surging in 29 states.

3 weeks later, cases in the USA are now surging in 41 states.

----

Yesterday, India reached 1 million cases, and Brazil reached 2 million cases. Both of these countries have doubled their total cases in the past month.
    and Brazil reached 2 million cases.
    570 thousand active cases in Brazil and they started flattening the curve: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The_Return wrote: »
    570 thousand active cases in Brazil and they started flattening the curve: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

Post flagged for false information.

I do not argue with utter idiots like you, @PanchitoPistoles. Now that I know who you are, I can safely say you are a troll of very, very low-intelligence. Just as I discovered recently, you cannot hide your stupidity long enough to hide your true identity.

I am still waiting for Radiohead doing the Spectre theme song.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97

I do not argue with utter idiots like you, @PanchitoPistoles. Now that I know who you are, I can safely say you are a troll of very, very low-intelligence. Just as I discovered recently, you cannot hide your stupidity long enough to hide your true identity.

I am still waiting for Radiohead doing the Spectre theme song.

Request to @DarthDimi and other members of the mod team: when I quote data from a site that is widely accepted as completely reliable when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic and I even link to that site, and then another user calls me an "utter idiot" and a "a troll of very, very low-intelligence" for quoting data from that reliable site, can you please tell that user to stop?
    Brazil passed the 2 million confirmed coronavirus cases mark, with little sign that the rate of increase is slowing as anger grows over President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the outbreak.

The spread of the virus has not slowed down so far, with the number of cases doubling every ten days, on average.

Brazil's Covid-19 curve has shown no signs of flattening, in fact, the progression of the disease has followed a different dynamic to other majorly affected nations around the world, characterizied by rapid increases and subsequent decelerations. Brazil has now seen a Covid-19 peak. Instead, case numbers have continued to grow steadily.

https://reliefweb.int/report/brazil/covid-19-brazil-impacts-and-policy-responses

Now @The_Return aka @PanchitoPistoles I'd like you to shut up because I am done with your constant trolling. The only user here that will stop is you, because your behavior is getting increasingly sickening. Don't bother replying to this post because I know you are too dumb to make an effort to read, and will just resort to post more false information. And I quite frankly don't have time to waste with a user who shows extreme low-signs of intelligence.

Fake news, blatant ignorance and utter stupidity has no place in a serious thread like this. We managed to get rid of @fanbond123, so you aren't welcome here either. Go comment on Donald Trump's twitter account, where your ignorance will fit right in.
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 97
    Again, I am posting data calmly, without insulting anyone, and another user replies with stuff such as "you are too dumb to read basic english" and "a user [referring to me] who shows extreme low-signs of intelligence".

Chart directly from the worldometer site: ppzAyPd.png

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

Active cases in Brazil as of today: 571141
    Again, I am posting data calmly, without insulting anyone, and another user replies with stuff such as "you are too dumb to read basic english" and "a user [referring to me] who shows extreme low-signs of intelligence".

Chart directly from the worldometer site: G2hYDeZ.png

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/

Active cases in Brazil as of today: 571141

Utter nonsense, as usual.

Brazil passed the 2 million confirmed coronavirus cases mark, with little sign that the rate of increase is slowing as anger grows over President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the outbreak.

The spread of the virus has not slowed down so far, with the number of cases doubling every ten days, on average.

Brazil's Covid-19 curve has shown no signs of flattening, in fact, the progression of the disease has followed a different dynamic to other majorly affected nations around the world, characterizied by rapid increases and subsequent decelerations. Brazil has now seen a Covid-19 peak. Instead, case numbers have continued to grow steadily.

https://reliefweb.int/report/brazil/covid-19-brazil-impacts-and-policy-responses

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Okay, both @The_Return and @DaltonCraig007 are reporting the data in a different way.
    There have been over 2 million cases of Covid-19 in Brazil.
    There are currently 570k active cases in Brazil.
    This is not a competition.
    @DaltonCraig007 has been an very committed provider of data for the Corona virus in this thread from the get go. And that cannot be overlooked.
    Information and data can be read and reported in many ways. If you cannot get along, then you simply ignore each other.
    False information has no business being in this thread. There being 570 thousands active cases or 2 million total cases is totally irrelevant. That is actually the only shred of truth in @The_Return's post.

The part in bold is false.

So either @The_Return is told to stop, or we might as well close this thread.

So where the competition is, I have no idea. All I see in this thread is a troll posting false information, and another user calling him off on his nonsense.

And I'd like to put it out there that I believe duplicate accounts are not allowed. Yet it is very obvious that @The_Return and @PanchitoPistoles are one and the same.
    @Benny I 100% agree, and I will ignore said user from now on. My only issue was the abusive language directed at me and said user trying to get me banned for not liking the chart I posted.

The part in bold in the post above is false.

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Benny wrote: »
    Okay, both @The_Return and @DaltonCraig007 are reporting the data in a different way.
    There have been over 2 million cases of Covid-19 in Brazil.
    There are currently 570k active cases in Brazil.
    This is not a competition.
    @DaltonCraig007 has been an very committed provider of data for the Corona virus in this thread from the get go. And that cannot be overlooked.
    Information and data can be read and reported in many ways. If you cannot get along, then you simply ignore each other.

Have been saying this for a long time, thank you @Benny
    Theres a thread on here called
    "THE HORROR THREAD II, THE RETURN"
    "Oh, the ironing!" As Bart Simpson said!
    According to Worldometers, there are only 4 countries that are not reporting recoveries and active case numbers: Spain, UK, Sweden and Netherlands. Can anyone living in one of these countries confirm that they really are not reporting these numbers? Does anyone know why these 4 countries are not reporting these numbers?
  • Agent_OneAgent_One Ireland
    edited July 2020 Posts: 280
    Mayhaps they don't want to scare the public, or admit that after all the work to get back to normal a second wave is very, very possible.
  • The_Return wrote: »
    @Benny I 100% agree, and I will ignore said user from now on. My only issue was the abusive language directed at me and said user trying to get me banned for not liking the chart I posted.

So we can then assume that you do not deny the repeated accusation from several sources that you are indeed the "returning" @PanchitoPistoles ?
    Im in the UK - they aren't reporting active cases. They ar reporting are proven cases and deaths.

But I dont mind. A) because its speculative to a point citing active cases - there will be lots of cases that are a symptomatic and b) if the 'Active' cases is a low figure I think its likely people will start to care less about the measures we are all hopefully taking to prevent a resurgence.

Regarding Brazil @DaltonCraig007 the new cases 7 day average rate has been steady at around 38,000 for two weeks. I dont want to get into an argument, but from a statistical perspective I would called that "flattening the curve". thats not to say we could see a resurgence in cases.

It also does not in anyway absolve the psychopath that is Bolsanaro
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's not false information; it's alternative facts.
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's not false information; it's alternative facts.
    ;)
    I see a clear flattening here, but maybe it's just me: https://i.imgur.com/ppzAyPd.png
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Our governor in NY has obliterated so many businesses its unbelievable.

With so many cases surging in the last month and half, one would assume the death rate would skyrocket, but it hasn't.

The number of deaths due to COVID-19 has always been seen as a lagging indicator, and with the US toll currently up to about 950 per day the next few weeks will be critical. With the recent spike in cases affecting younger people however, I would expect the fatalities per capita metrics to be lower than those experienced back in April and May.

In any case, there is more to the situation than the “death count.” For example, at the individual level the long-range side-effects from having (and then recovering from) COVID-19 are still being debated. And I don’t want to even think about the financial costs that those increasingly without medical insurance will have to bear in the months and years to come. Furthermore, the toll on our hospital system that has resulted from the pandemic continues to be significant. One of the most disturbing pieces of information that I read back in March (on an aerospace news/discussion website no less!) concerned the lack of hospital beds in the US per capita. Go to the top of the list and then start scrolling down – and down – and down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_hospital_beds

As to your first point about the governor of NY having “obliterated so many businesses its unbelievable.”

I’m curious, as to what you think should have been done.

No sane person that I know has attempted to minimize the emotional and financial toll these lock-downs are having on small business owners and their employees. I speak to the owners of several establishments in my neighborhood with some frequency; and you can almost feel the pain that they are going through. And although many of them have been re-opened for some weeks now, business hasn’t returned to its prior level.

From a governmental perspective, those businesses generate the tax revenue that is responsible for “keeping the lights on” and those dollars are certainly needed at the moment. That said, as with most everything, there is a “balance” and there are priorities. And back in March, with New York as the epicenter for the pandemic, the priority was clearly – and wisely IMO – on the side on attempting to minimize the number of hospitalizations and fatalities resulting from COVID-19. If anything, NY State’s governor has been criticized for waiting until March 20th to shut things down, and that he should have acted the minute the first “in-community” COVID-19 transmission was reported.

IMO, the worse possible outcome – from a financial and societal angle – is to re-open prematurely and then have to shut everything down again when cases to spike again.

FYI
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/17/coronavirus-live-updates-us/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/world/coronavirus-cases-update.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Now for a little good news for a change. Here in New York City we will enter phase 4 of our re-opening plan next week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/nyregion/phase-4-nyc-reopen.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Amid concerns about a coronavirus resurgence, New York City will enter a limited fourth phase of reopening on Monday, allowing some art and entertainment venues like zoos and botanical gardens to open for outdoor activities only, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Friday.

But stringent limits will remain on indoor activities: Gyms, malls and movie theaters are expected to remain shuttered, and indoor dining will still not be allowed.

This is in keeping with the phase 3 decision of a couple of weeks ago. I do know, however, that the Metropolitan Museum of Art was hoping to re-open at the end of August at 25% capacity, and several smaller movie theaters were hoping to do the same. For now, those plans are on hold with this latest announcement.

Does anyone know where I can find a graph for total daily new cases in the EU?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Does anyone know where I can find a graph for total daily new cases in the EU?

Google
    edited August 2020 Posts: 15,686
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
    410,000 deaths reached on June 9th (3 days later).
    420,000 deaths reached on June 11th (2 days later).
    430,000 deaths reached on June 13th (2 days later).
    440,000 deaths reached on June 16th (3 days later).
    450,000 deaths reached on June 17th (1 day later).
    460,000 deaths reached on June 19th (2 days later).
    470,000 deaths reached on June 21st (2 days later).
    480,000 deaths reached on June 23rd (2 days later).
    490,000 deaths reached on June 25th (2 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (2 days later).
    510,000 deaths reached on June 30th (3 days later).
    520,000 deaths reached on July 2nd (2 days later).
    530,000 deaths reached on July 4th (2 days later).
    540,000 deaths reached on July 6th (2 days later).
    550,000 deaths reached on July 8th (2 days later).
    560,000 deaths reached on July 10th (2 days later).
    570,000 deaths reached on July 12th (2 days later).
    580,000 deaths reached on July 14th (2 days later).
    590,000 deaths reached on July 15th (1 day later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (2 days later).

1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (92 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (14 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (20 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (23 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (21 days later).
    600,000 deaths reached on July 17th (20 days later).

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    According to Worldometers, there are only 4 countries that are not reporting recoveries and active case numbers: Spain, UK, Sweden and Netherlands. Can anyone living in one of these countries confirm that they really are not reporting these numbers? Does anyone know why these 4 countries are not reporting these numbers?
    you can find all relevant information for The Netherlands here:
    https://www.rivm.nl/coronavirus-covid-19/actueel

it is, of course, in Dutch. We get weekly updates now, as the total amount of patients is still in hospital is in the low hundreds. The mortality rate of the population is back to pre-corona levels.
    Another factor is that now everybody can get tested with mild symptoms, opposed to mid-march when you first had to die to get tested. All in all, am westen nichts neues.

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    "People living in metropolitan Melbourne (Australia) and Mitchell Shire and will now be required to wear a face covering when leaving home for one of the four reasons, following a concerning increase in coronavirus cases in recent days

To give people time to purchase or make a face covering, this new rule won’t be enforced until after 11.59pm on Wednesday 22 July – but for those who can, please start wearing yours immediately. The fine for not wearing a face covering will be $200."
    A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and trains the immune system.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53469839
    Genuinely interested Trump voters....

I read in here recently someone who said they thought masks were “unamerican”

Can I get thoughts on that now trump has done a 180°, has been seen wearing one and now says they are “patriotic. “
    The 2021 Summer Olympics are unlikely to be held if the Covid-19 situation does not improve.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/07/21/2021-tokyo-olympics-experts-say-covid-pandemic-makes-games-unlikely/3287488001/

----

The outbreak is surging in Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru. More than 300 million people risk developing complications from Covid-19 because of underlying conditions.

----

The outbreak has devastated tourism in Africa.

"I don't think tourism will ever look like it did before," said Naledi Kabo, CEO of Africa Tourism Association.

----

Yesterday, Australia recorded its worst day since the pandemic began, with 502 new cases.

Their previous worst day was on March 28th, with 469 new cases. Only 6 weeks ago, on June 9th, Australia recorded 2 new cases.