Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The 2020 edition of the New-York marathon has been canceled. The event was due to take place on November 1st.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/sports/coronavirus-nyc-marathon-canceled.html
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    New York, New Jersey and Connecticut will impose a quarantine of two weeks for people coming from hard-hit US states.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/new-york-coronavirus-travel-restriction/index.html
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 616
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why you're so intent on starting another argument with him. But go right ahead, the mods can step in when it gets out of hand.
    I would say it's to see if he's learned anything- if he's realized the error of his artificially manufactured point of view... If he's grown from this that's all that matters.

I agree. Thumbs up for this post!
    Cases in the USA are now surging in 26 states:

California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, Arkansas, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Delaware, Oregon, Idaho, West Virginia, Wyoming, Hawaii, Montana.

Cases are now surging in 27 states.

The United States are about to overtake their April peak in terms of new cases. The 2,500,000 confirmed cases milestone is expected to be reached today or tomorrow.

California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, Arkansas, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Delaware, Oregon, Idaho, West Virginia, Wyoming, Hawaii, Montana.

The United States are about to overtake their April peak in terms of new cases. The 2,500,000 confirmed cases milestone is expected to be reached today or tomorrow.

Trump administration has ordered the end of the federal funding for coronavirus testing sites as cases surge in 27 out of 50 states.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/06/24/white-house-to-end-federal-support-for-coronavirus-test-sites.html

----

The White House has ordered the NIH (National Institutes of Health) to stop the funding for coronavirus research.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/white-house-ordered-nih-to-cancel-coronavirus-research-funding-fauci-says/

Are we supposed to write off 2021 too at this rate?

• Are we supposed to write off 2021 too at this rate?

No, we're supposed to vote Trump out of office in November of 2020. To quote J.L. Picard: Make it so!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

No, we're supposed to vote Trump out of office in November of 2020. To quote J.L. Picard: Make it so!

Yes, regardless of what you think of Biden, this is extremely important.

With any luck, the next long-term US President will be whoever Biden picks as a running mate!

And yes, as a Canadian, I’m affected by the results of the US Elections.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Yes, regardless of what you think of Biden, this is extremely important.

With any luck, the next long-term US President will be whoever Biden picks as a running mate!

And yes, as a Canadian, I’m affected by the results of the US Elections.

I think the whole world is affected by these results.

Meanwhile, my government has made it clear that it doesn't want to opt for a full lockdown ever again. That is brave, of course, but when the fit hits the shan, what will they do instead? The idea is to contain possible peaks more locally. Good luck with that in a country that's barely the size of a pocket watch.
    I realize now my comment May make it seem like I hope Biden dies, which is not the case; lol, just that he could be declared unfit for service, which is obviously also extremely unlikely.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 616
    I realize now my comment May make it seem like I hope Biden dies, which is not the case; lol, just that he could be declared unfit for service, which is obviously also extremely unlikely.

In just about any other election year, he would be seen as an absolutely terrible candidate. I also believe he's in the early stages of dementia. But I'll still vote for him over Trump! (not that it matters, since my state always goes blue).

For the record, I hope he picks Val Demings for VP. I can't stand Kamala Harris.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526

In just about any other election year, he would be seen as an absolutely terrible candidate. I also believe he's in the early stages of dementia. But I'll still vote for him over Trump! (not that it matters, since my state always goes blue).

For the record, I hope he picks Val Demings for VP. I can't stand Kamala Harris.

My worry would be that, because Democrats don't like Biden, they'll just stay home and not vote, securing another win for Trump. Seems like many only want to vote for fun and exciting candidates (Obama, Sanders).
    My worry would be that, because Democrats don't like Biden, they'll just stay home and not vote, securing another win for Trump. Seems like many only want to vote for fun and exciting candidates (Obama, Sanders).

Biden is polling very well right now, even in the battleground states that Trump won back in '16. So earlier in the year I would say there was more danger of what you're describing, but it seems to be turning for the better. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Biden is polling very well right now, even in the battleground states that Trump won back in '16. So earlier in the year I would say there was more danger of what you're describing, but it seems to be turning for the better. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Good news!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I think he's perceived as the slightly dopey yet caring grandpa to Donald's mob boss persona. Should be no problem as long as the electoral kindergarden, er, I mean college isn't coerced into doing the wrong thing again despite a landslide....
    chrisisall wrote: »

I think he's perceived as the slightly dopey yet caring grandpa to Donald's mob boss persona. Should be no problem as long as the electoral kindergarden, er, I mean college isn't coerced into doing the wrong thing again despite a landslide....

One wonders why it still exists. It made sense, maybe, in a world with less technology, but now?

I suppose just because it maybe helps Republicans.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Democrats like Biden. He's the nominee, and he's ahead of where Hillary Clinton was at this point.

I also think that at this point we Americans just want someone sane in office.
    echo wrote: »

Democrats like Biden. He's the nominee, and he's ahead of where Hillary Clinton was at this point.

I also think that at this point we Americans just want someone sane in office.

It's good that he's ahead of Clinton. Him being the nominee doesn't seem to mean much with regards to how popular the candidate is to their party, ironically. But maybe that's just among my age group.

The second point is of course true, and hopefully helps Biden win.

Cases are now surging in 29 states.

----

Texas has paused re-opening as cases are dramatically increasing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-latest-news-06-25-2020-11593070962

----

Health officials say the actual number of infected in the US has topped 20 million, 10 times the government's official numbers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53186075

----

Yesterday, the USA recorded over 40,000 new infections for the first time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Yes, back to corona, please. Trump vs Biden is not where we are going to take this thread even if it can be viewed as relevant in a corona discussion. Still, corona was far from present in the last couple of posts so... it doesn't work. Thanks, guys, for your compliance.
    @DarthDimi the latest development worries me a lot. The last peak in the US (April/May), they averaged over 2,000 deaths a day. And back then they averaged around 32,000/34,000 new cases per day (the actual peak was at 36,000). A couple weeks ago they had plateaued at around 25,000 new infections. But since then it has started to increase again, and as of yesterday reached 40,000 new infections.

And compared to the previous outbreak centered around the New York area/region, cases are currently surging in 29 states, including the 3 the most populated ones (Texas, Florida, California).

Today we received the news of ICU's having reached maximum capacity in several hospitals in Covid-19 hotspots.

If we analyze all of this, use the previous peak as a scenario, and add the usual 2 weeks delay between infection and death, the US death-toll (currently at 126,700) is looking to reach 200,000 in July and 300,000 by late August/early September.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,314
    If you look at the cases in the south it’s not so much a second peak as a continuation or growth of the first.

Bearing in mind North America is as big as Western Europe you can see that Texas is just continuing its first outbreak, where as NY is in decline.

Not a second peak in the truest sense - ie states that flattened the curve are now increasing exponentially.
    That is very true @Matt007. Scary weeks ahead.
    Yes I think the summer is going to be bad in the south. Interesting to see what happens come autumn when you might expect other diseases and viruses to become more prevalent as well as covid.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I can't decide if Trump is a moron or evil. Both?

He's talking about "slowing down testing," even as he and Pence ("I call my wife 'Mother'") are being constantly tested.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/23/trump-joking-slowing-coronavirus-testing-335459

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/coronavirus-trump-says-tests-are-overrated-but-will-get-tested-daily.html
    @echo You just don't understand: If less people are tested, Trump and Pence will now be able to get tested every hour thanks to the extra testing kits. ;-)
    The US situation is now dramatic.

Florida set their record for daily new infections yesterday, with 5,508 new cases. Today, Florida has once again had their worse day yet, with 8,942.

Florida has recorded more new infections in the past 2 weeks than in the previous 3 months combined.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/26/florida-reports-nearly-9000-new-cases-of-covid-19-shattering-single-day-record/
    M is not optimistic about the fate of british theatre :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-theatre/news/judi-dench-lifetime-closed-covid-support_51843.html

Pretty depressing.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited June 2020 Posts: 4,554
    The virus has hit my inner circle. A friend of mine tested positive on Monday. I have not been around him in months, but his daughter and mine are good friends and have been in contact quite a lot in recent weeks.

My daughter is young and healthy, and I am not concerned for her. But if I contract this I am likely a goner, due to underlying health problems. But it would be okay. My kids would be left with a massive amount of money from my life insurance, enough to get them through college and then some.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TripAces wrote: »
    The virus has hit my inner circle. A friend of mine tested positive on Monday. I have not been around him in months, but his daughter and mine are good friends and have been in contact quite a lot in recent weeks.

My daughter is young and healthy, and I am not concerned for her. But if I contract this I am likely a goner, due to underlying health problems. But it would be okay. My kids would be left with a massive amount of money from my life insurance, enough to get them through college and then some.

Don t be ridiculous. The whole world still needs you. Be careful.
    The USA has once again recorded their worst day of the pandemic. On June 25th, the US recorded 40,212 new infections, marking the first time they were above 40,000 new cases. Yesterday (June 26th), the USA recorded 47,341 new cases.

World-wide, yesterday was the worst day yet, with 194,190. new cases. Of those, 94,248 were recorded in only 2 countries: USA and Brazil.