Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    List of US States where the Covid-19 outbreak is currently spiking, and in some instances reaching record-level of daily infections:

Vermont, Michigan, Oregon, Nevada, California, Utah, Arizona, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Texas.

Yep. And our governor, like the President and like Bolsonaro, is no longer speaking on the matter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Coronavirus is now the second deadliest pandemic on US soil. It has passed the 1957-58 Asian Flu death count of 116,000. However, it took nearly 1 year for the 1957-58 outbreak to reach that death-toll in the US. Coronavirus only needed 90 days to overtake it.

The deadliest pandemic on US soil remains the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu, which killed approximately 675,000 people.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    May 30th was the biggest daily word-wide rise in new cases (just over 125,000 new infections). So despite Asia and Europe seemingly over the 1st wave of the pandemic, the world-wide cases are increasing at never-seen rate since the pandemic started.

This record has been beaten: Yesterday (June 4th) recorded the biggest daily world-wide rise in new cases, with 129,990 new infections. We are also back to almost 5,500 daily deaths.

Yesterday (June 5th) marked the first day where the daily world-wide rise in new cases was above 130,000.

The 400,000th death is expected today, and the 7,000,000th confirmed case is expected tomorrow.

June 10th marked the first day above 135,000 new daily cases world wide.
    On June 11th, world-wide cases increased by over 137,000.
    Yesterday (June 12th) marked the first day above 140,000 new cases world-wide.

The USA has now more fatalities from coronavirus than from World War 1 in its entirety.

Brazil now has the 2nd biggest death-toll from Covid-19, as they have overtaken the UK yesterday.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The USA has now more fatalities from coronavirus than from World War 1 in its entirety.
    Most of the WWI US deaths among the services are attributed to disease, and most of that was influenza.

200w.gif

Most of the WWI US deaths among the services are attributed to disease, and most of that was influenza.

200w.gif

The Spanish flu killed 675,000 Americans from spring 1918 to summer 1919. 116,500 US soldiers died during combat in WW1.

Coronavirus currently stands at 116,600 deaths in 91 days. It is already the 2nd deadliest pandemic on US soil, overtaking past pandemics that took over 4 times this time-span to reach such numbers.

Covid19 is still averaging near 1,000 deaths a day in the US. And it may get considerably worse again in the near future.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Context is all. Is it not.

Lets remove WW1 from the discussion then. Covid-19 is the second deadliest pandemic on US soil. Only 3 other pandemics reached over 100,000 fatalities in the US. All three of those took over a year to get there. Covid-19 only needed 3 months.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Lets remove WW1 from the discussion then.

Probably smart. Remember, there are about five times as many humans these days.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have been working 60 hour weeks on the front line, I am so thankful I was never stuck at home simply because I am the same person I was before all this started, actually I am a better person because of this crisis.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I have been working 60 hour weeks on the front line, I am so thankful I was never stuck at home simply because I am the same person I was before all this started, actually I am a better person because of this crisis.

I tip my hat to you, fine sir! Stay well!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    chrisisall wrote: »

I tip my hat to you, fine sir! Stay well!

Thank you @chrisisall, I just want others to be positive.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 23,406
    @chrisisall

Great philosopher
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @chrisisall

Great philosopher

That's my boyhood hero talking.
    Concerning that parts of Beijing are in lockdown again?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Take your vitamin D, specifically D3. I take 5000IU
    This doctor knows her stuff; she is spot on.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,630
    While not directly impacting NTTD, I do find it concerning that the New York Philharmonic has decided to cancel performances through the rest of 2020. In their e-mail to past and current ticket buyers they state:

“We at the New York Philharmonic have been examining every possible solution for returning to David Geffen Hall. On behalf of the Orchestra and staff, we miss you, which has made our decision today all the more difficult.”

“After careful deliberation, we have decided to cancel performances through January 5, 2021, as it has become clear that large groups of people will not be able to safely gather for the remainder of the calendar year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our audience, musicians, and staff remains the highest priority. We continue to communicate with government officials and health professionals to guide the implementation of safety measures for when we return to the hall, and we are exploring options for concerts in smaller gatherings when possible, as we are eager to get back to performing as soon as we can.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-cancel-fall-season-virus.html

As many of us have noted, the next few weeks will be very interesting – especially in light of the on-going COVID-19 spikes in many areas of the US. IMO, there is a chance that outdoor gathering may return (if limited), but indoor things (i.e., movies) may take more time. But again, that is just my opinion. For example, the Fathom Event showing of the "Blues Brothers" - scheduled for late this month - was still listed on their web site as of yesterday.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    While not directly impacting NTTD, I do find it concerning that the New York Philharmonic has decided to cancel performances through the rest of 2020. In their e-mail to past and current ticket buyers they state:

“We at the New York Philharmonic have been examining every possible solution for returning to David Geffen Hall. On behalf of the Orchestra and staff, we miss you, which has made our decision today all the more difficult.”

“After careful deliberation, we have decided to cancel performances through January 5, 2021, as it has become clear that large groups of people will not be able to safely gather for the remainder of the calendar year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The safety of our audience, musicians, and staff remains the highest priority. We continue to communicate with government officials and health professionals to guide the implementation of safety measures for when we return to the hall, and we are exploring options for concerts in smaller gatherings when possible, as we are eager to get back to performing as soon as we can.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts/music/new-york-philharmonic-cancel-fall-season-virus.html

As many of us have noted, the next few weeks will be very interesting – especially in light of the on-going COVID-19 spikes in many areas of the US. IMO, there is a chance that outdoor gathering may return (if limited), but indoor things (i.e., movies) may take more time. But again, that is just my opinion. For example, the Fathom Event showing of the "Blues Brothers" - scheduled for late this month - was still listed on their web site as of yesterday.

In the UK the 2 metre distance rule is going to be reviewed. If it's changed to 1m it's a different ball game for theatres and cinemas here in the UK. That will take a venues capacity from around 30% to around 70% - therefore a game changer for these industries.
    The Wales Millennium Centerin Cardiff will stay closed until januaray 2021, at est :

https://www.whatsonstage.com/cardiff-theatre/news/wales-millennium-centre-closed-january-2021_51769.html
    Beijing Cinemas Ordered To Remain Shut As New Covid-19 cases emerge.

Chinese authorities on Friday put another nail in the coffin for China’s film sector, formally announcing that cinemas in Beijing must remain shut for the time being.

Although this new Beijing directive only applies to the capital, it indicates that the official winds are not blowing in favor of re-opening cinemas at this time. This will likely make other regions wary of resuming business even if they are currently at low coronavirus risk.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/china-coronavirus-beijing-when-cinemas-reopening-1234633855/

Beijing is battling 'explosive coronavirus outbreak' as food market cases mount.

The chief epidemiologist with the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention told yesterday that the situation was very serious.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/world/2020/06/672_291272.html

----

Beijing clustered infections are at high risk of spreading.

The clustered infection that was closely linked with Xinfadi Market, which is densely populated and highly mobile, has a very high risk of spreading.

As of press time, Beijing has reported 79 cases connected to Xinfadi Market. Beijing's latest outbreak has extended to three provinces.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1191598.shtml
    Yesterday marked the first day with over 142,000 new confirmed cases.

Alarmingly, yesterday Brazil recorded 1,338 daily deaths (and 37,278 new cases), and India recorded 2,006 daily deaths.
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
    410,000 deaths reached on June 9th (3 days later).
    420,000 deaths reached on June 11th (2 days later).
    430,000 deaths reached on June 13th (2 days later).
    440,000 deaths reached on June 16th (3 days later).
    450,000 deaths reached on June 17th (1 day later).
    New Zealand's quarantine measures have failed: 3 imported cases; potential new outbreak in the country that declared victory against coronavirus 10 days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/new-zealand-coronavirus-defences-under-scrutiny-as-more-breaches-emerge
    Lets skip the news boy I'll make some tea....
    New Zealand's quarantine measures have failed: 3 imported cases; potential new outbreak in the country that declared victory against coronavirus 10 days ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/new-zealand-coronavirus-defences-under-scrutiny-as-more-breaches-emerge

Two of those three new NZ cases were people who had travelled from the UK, I see.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th...
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th...
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th...
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th...

Now it must be said that the situation regarding new casualties from infections is actually improving...if one chooses to believe the official figures from certain places, which here and there I don't. But in spite of the increasing number of infected overall, and the first 100,000 deaths taking 91 days and the second only 14 days, the third instalment was down (or better, "up") to twenty days and the fourth to 23. Not really thrilling, but it seems we have passed the "spike" in April.

Just trying to be positive.
    Well, just been announced that cinemas will reopen here in Ireland on June 29, with maximum of 50 people! That will increase to 100 in July!
    Yesterday marked the first day where we reached over 180,000 new daily infections world-wide. Brazil also became the first country to record over 50,000 new cases in a single day.
    UK will announce social distancing going from 2m to 1m next week. We're heading back to normality.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    A virus doesn't care if we feel shut in after months and want to get out. A virus just wants to replicate.

Science, people!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    echo wrote: »
    A virus doesn't care if we feel shut in after months and want to get out. A virus just wants to replicate.

Science, people!

I echo what @echo said. (See what I did there?)

The risks are high. We're feeling way too comfortable, but the virus is still among us. No vaccines yet. That's like saying, "oh well, it's been a while since the last terrorist attack; we're safe."