Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

May 30th was the biggest daily word-wide rise in new cases (just over 125,000 new infections). So despite Asia and Europe seemingly over the 1st wave of the pandemic, the world-wide cases are increasing at never-seen rate since the pandemic started.

This record has been beaten: Yesterday (June 4th) recorded the biggest daily world-wide rise in new cases, with 129,990 new infections. We are also back to almost 5,500 daily deaths.

Wow. And here we are reopening everything.

Needs to be viewed in a global context. South America is the new centre of the epidemic and is behind the curve on Europe and maybe the USA. But some cities and countries are densely populated, relatively poor and not able or willing to socially distance. I would think that the figures going up are in a large part from there
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m sure you’re correct.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,630
    After a week of riots and re-openings around the U.S. the COVID-19 statistics over the next few weeks will be very interesting. Not so much the number of cases (they may rise due to additional testing), but the number of new hospitalizations.

Here in New York City (and State), re-opening plans are tied, in part, to a region’s unused hospitalization and ICU capacity. For example, now that the curve has been “flattened” and medical capacity has been was freed up, we are moving into the initial phases of re-opening. In fact, additional New York City business may start to open beginning on Monday, June 8th (although many will be limited to “curbside” pickups). What has often gone unsaid is: what happens if new hospitalizations start to spike upwards? Do we reimpose shelter in place restrictions? Close down businesses again? From an economic and social perspective, that will prove difficult, if not impossible.

Already, there is some evidence that new COVID-19 cases and the resulting hospitalizations are starting to trend back up in places that have loosen public restrictions.

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2020/jun/05/banner-hospital-official-predicts-arizona-headed-h/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/world/coronavirus-updates.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

On a happier note, on Thursday I made my first trip on the New York City Subway in almost three (3) months…..and survived. It is a strange – and unnerving - feeling to be one of just four few people standing on a train platform that is normally packed with people. There were signs up in every station reminding you to wear a mask – a rule that, thankfully, almost everyone seemed to be adhering to. That said, however, starting on Monday…all bets are off (if you know NYC, you know that social distancing on public transportation is IMPOSSIBLE!).

We’ll have to hope for the best.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    May 30th was the biggest daily word-wide rise in new cases (just over 125,000 new infections). So despite Asia and Europe seemingly over the 1st wave of the pandemic, the world-wide cases are increasing at never-seen rate since the pandemic started.

This record has been beaten: Yesterday (June 4th) recorded the biggest daily world-wide rise in new cases, with 129,990 new infections. We are also back to almost 5,500 daily deaths.

Yesterday (June 5th) marked the first day where the daily world-wide rise in new cases was above 130,000.

The 400,000th death is expected today, and the 7,000,000th confirmed case is expected tomorrow.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited June 2020 Posts: 12,459
    How I wish I lived in New Zealand. :) But anyway ...

Just to say, no matter the summer let up, no matter protests and work requirements and govt says do this, do that - I am continuing to use my full precautions every single day. There is no vaccine yet. I am in the very vulnerable category, and I cannot risk it. My biggest risk is my job. I cannot get around that. I shall do my best to carry on. Mask on, sanitizer in my hip flask, and I stay at home on my own time, shopping only once a week. Still disinfecting every pkg that comes into my home (mail and groceries, including the grocery bags). It's a definite routine for me, and I don't mind. Thank goodness I have plenty of books and dvds to enjoy. I'm in here for the long haul. At least I hope and pray I am.

Sayonara for now ... keep on keepin' on. And yes, I do recommend all wear face masks in public. For sure. When both/all in the group (meaning even if just a couple talking, not just a bigger gathering) wear them, it is far more effective than you being the only one wearing them. Anyway, science matters (find legit virologists to follow) ... so do carry on and I'll talk to you all again maybe end of summer. Cheers!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Still disinfecting every pkg that comes into my home (mail and groceries, including the grocery bags).
    Tell me about it. I'm a little bit tired of the smell of rubbing alcohol.... ;)
    I use a spray and also an alcohol wipe, so together it works great and efficiently.
    Alcohol is my new cologne. ;) Ohhhhh ... what a flashback to when I was 21 and whooping it up at a disco to "Get Down Tonight" ... er, different kind of alcohol then, yeah. Alcohol is our friend. :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 8,701
    I've effectively disinfected absolutely nothing during the pandemic that I wouldn't have disinfected anyway (which isn't much, but once in a while I may feel better using isopropyl alcohol on things even in normal times). Ok, where a store offers disinfectant for the handles on its shopping carts, I may take that offer. And I've avoided all form of public transport since March. But in private I'm not afraid of the virus being on things and stick with washing my hands as the only countermeasure. My understanding is that a smear infection with the virus cannot entirely be ruled out, but is virtually non-existent.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    in private I'm not afraid of the virus being on things and stick with washing my hands as the only countermeasure. My understanding is that a smear infection with the virus cannot entirely be ruled out, but is virtually non-existent.
    My home is like a Nomad scenario... must sterilize, STER-IL-IZE!
    The virus stays active on different surfaces for varying times. It is not absorbed/you don't get infected through your skin - but through your mucosa (mucus membrane). It is when you then touch your eyes, nose, or mouth that the infection occurs connected to touch. You can also breath in the virus, of course, that is why a mask is a very good idea. Droplets vary in size and can stay active for varying amts of time. The virus can get in your eyes, from other people's sneezes, coughs, breathing; even if you do not touch your eyes. So it is good to taking precautions still, until we have a safe and effective vaccine. Many months away.

Cross ventilation is important. Outdoors (air movement naturally) is in general safer than indoors, unless packed into tight crowds. But that's all been in the news plenty. I feel sure most people know about all of this.

The percentage of people who will become seriously ill, lives endangered is not huge. It is relatively small. But people are dying. And seriously, it is a terrible way to die. This virus is not the flu, and I don't care to write descriptions about what it actually does to your body; you can all find that information easily, in detail.

So I cannot risk it at all. I cannot relax, and that is okay. I can do this. I am in the very vulnerable category. I cannot risk any dose of this virus. The amount of time spent in a virus laden area takes a toll. Not just an exposure briefly but time spent, people talking at length, staff meetings, long train ride with no masks on passengers yet others coughing, chatting, etc. I just treat my home and work and wherever I go with the assumption the virus is there. And I take precautions to guard against it. I won't stop until I'm vaccinated. I don't have that luxury. And for me personally, it is not a big burden at all.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 7,526
    I'm sorry to year you're vulnerable to the disease, @4EverBonded. Stay safe whatever you do! Sounds like you're being very smart about it though.
    Have you got everything you need there to pass the time? Have all the Bond films and novels? :D
    edited June 2020 Posts: 12,459
    Thanks. I work 5 days a week teaching at a kindergarten, so that is a risk.
    I live with two elderly friends, so if they get it at all, I get it. That is quite a risk.
    But other than that, I do the best I can and I do enjoy life, enjoy teaching (mask on entire time). My free time is filled with books, music, dvds. And I've always enjoyed solitude, so that's not a tough transition for me. Miss reading a book while eating lunch in a cafe, but that's about it. I shop only once a week, in protective gear so to speak, and disinfect everything when I get home; clothes right in the laundry. It's a good routine. And I have all the Bond films, yes, except Spectre. :)

I'm going to be 65 this year and my health is good, in general, but a couple of glitches I won't get into on a forum. No biggie UNLESS you know, something like a killer virus comes along that particular explodes in people my age and with any health vulnerabilities. I understand others not going to the extremes I do, but I don't mind. Just being honest here.

My area has been okay. But govt not testing much at all. However, now antibody tests have been done more and lo and behold, tens of thousands in nearby areas have been infected with most only low to medium symptoms. But catch that #: tens of thousands, and I cannot afford to be one at all. So I'll carry on.
  • Good news. New Zealand have beaten Coronavirus, wiped out completely.

Can we have NTTD released in theatres now? :D
    I'd be happy to swim to New Zealand to see NTTD in a theater there.
  • Our border guard will shoot you on sight :DD
    OK I will parachute in wearing the UK and NZ flag. Will that do it? ;)
    Thanks. I work 5 days a week teaching at a kindergarten, so that is a risk.
    I live with two elderly friends, so if they get it at all, I get it. That is quite a risk.
    But other than that, I do the best I can and I do enjoy life, enjoy teaching (mask on entire time). My free time is filled with books, music, dvds. And I've always enjoyed solitude, so that's not a tough transition for me. Miss reading a book while eating lunch in a cafe, but that's about it. I shop only once a week, in protective gear so to speak, and disinfect everything when I get home; clothes right in the laundry. It's a good routine. And I have all the Bond films, yes, except Spectre. :)

I'm going to be 65 this year and my health is good, in general, but a couple of glitches I won't get into on a forum. No biggie UNLESS you know, something like a killer virus comes along that particular explodes in people my age and with any health vulnerabilities. I understand others not going to the extremes I do, but I don't mind. Just being honest here.

My area has been okay. But govt not testing much at all. However, now antibody tests have been done more and lo and behold, tens of thousands in nearby areas have been infected with most only low to medium symptoms. But catch that #: tens of thousands, and I cannot afford to be one at all. So I'll carry on.

I've always enjoyed solitude, and enjoying a good book in a cafe as well. That's where I read all 14 Bond novels, as well as The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I miss not having coffee shops, for sure.
    I can wait a year, though. Kinda important. I do look forward to it next summer.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 2,630
    @4EverBonded. Be well.

As I stated earlier, hopefully we will get through this. For example, today (Monday, June 8th), here in New York City, we move into phase 1 of our re-opening. And while I have little faith in political leaders to - you know, actually lead - I have some hope that people will safely adjust.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 616
    Dwayne wrote: »
    @4EverBonded. Be well.

As I stated earlier, hopefully we will get through this. For example, today (Monday, June 8th), her in New York City, we move into phase 1 of our re-opening. And while I have little faith in political leaders to - you know, actually lead - I have some hope that people with safely adjust.

I live a little north of the city. We're going into Phase 2 tomorrow.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    In Italy after one month since restrictions have been consistently eased (after two months of lockdown) the RT number is everywhere in the country under 1, which is great, with zero Covid deaths in half of the regions. Seems basically confirmed that the virus load lost a lot of power...
    In Brasil, Jai Bolsonaro has decided that the number of death will no longer be announced. Because hiding the problem means that there is no problem, f course.

Meanwhile in France, we have seen the appearance of CoViD-19 songs, such as this one :

Catchy, isn't it ?
    A few days from now a half a million worldwide will have died from this. In half a year. And some still think it's fake & won't wear masks in public. It's a pandumassmic. At least in MY country.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    A few days from now a half a million worldwide will have died from this. In half a year. And some still think it's fake & won't wear masks in public. It's a pandumassmic. At least in MY country.

Here in Ireland, the Government has bowed to pressure from business groups and accelerated opening the Country! Our numbers of deaths and affected cases are low, but not like New Zealand which sensibly waited for numbers to be 0 for more than a week to announce beating it!
    People were back shoppung yesterday here, and the majority were NOT wearing masks
    A group of 100 experts have signed a petition telling the those in power they are making a serious mistake!!
    As I stated, the next few weeks will be very interesting.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Texas-COVID-19-hospitalizations-up-36-since-15327664.php

“On Tuesday, the state reported 2,056 hospitalizations — the highest number since the pandemic first reached Texas in March. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott told KSAT viewers in San Antonio that he is watching the data carefully to guide how much more the state can continue to reopen businesses.”

“The Houston region was already showing its own spike in hospitalizations. COVID-19 patients have occupied hospital intensive-care units in the nine-county Houston area at higher levels the first three days in June than they did on any single day in May, according to data compiled by the Southeast Texas Regional Advisory Council, a state group that coordinates the region’s emergency response to disasters.”
  • In a couple of weeks, the USA will probably be seeing a big spike based on the huge number of people across the country who have been out on the streets in protest actions. Many of them unmasked, most of them not really paying close attention to social distancing protocols. "Interesting times..."
    In a couple of weeks, the USA will probably be seeing a big spike based on the huge number of people across the country who have been out on the streets in protest actions. Many of them unmasked, most of them not really paying close attention to social distancing protocols. "Interesting times..."

Keep an eye on the # of police spiking too. Bad time to be a Covid denier.... or a nurse... :(
    List of US States where the Covid-19 outbreak is currently spiking, and in some instances reaching record-level of daily infections:

Vermont, Michigan, Oregon, Nevada, California, Utah, Arizona, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Texas.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 1,314
    This is what happens when you have a president who prioritises conflict and personal popularity above doing the right thing and supporters who aren’t interested in science I’m afraid. 5% wiped off the US stock market today as a result of senior US politicians lying, spinning and underplaying the threat. Situation doesn’t not look good in the US. Hopefully we can learn from it here in the UK

Edit: -7%