Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    We will not forget 2020 in our lifetime.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It's a hell of a start for a new decade, I hope it's not just a precursor for things to come.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm fully supporting the riots that started this week. I am just noting that 2020 is a very chaotic year. A lot of global issues happening at the same time. I can hardly believe we are still in May, 2019 feels ages ago already.

Surely, you mean protests, not riots?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Don't get me wrong, I'm fully supporting the riots that started this week. I am just noting that 2020 is a very chaotic year. A lot of global issues happening at the same time. I can hardly believe we are still in May, 2019 feels ages ago already.

Surely, you mean protests, not riots?

I'm afraid my English must have failed me. You are correct, protests is what I meant. I don't know why I assumed both words were synonyms.
    Riots are only a last resort, and the leaders have been so ineffectual that it left the people feeling like they had no other options to be heard. It's not something people want, but it does potentially lead to changes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Tenet.
    He certainly likes film titles with only one word. The only exceptions are the Batman films, but those are his franchise films rather than personal endeavors.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    He certainly likes film titles with only one word. The only exceptions are the Batman films, but those are his franchise films rather than personal endeavors.

@RichardTheBruce only has a word for us; Tenet. ;) Good point @MakeshiftPython. I like that style as well, personally.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 13,034
    Tenet. An honored principle or belief.

Normally a palindrome, but not exactly that on the promotional posters

source.gif
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    San Fransisco becomes the fist major US city (box-office wise) to give a specific date for the reopening of cinemas: mid-August.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/as-san-francisco-targets-mid-august-reopening-for-theaters-wall-streeter-sees-second-half-release-schedule-in-flux-1202946418/
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This movie will blows peoples minds. Some are saying its the movie Nolan has been trying to make his whole career, but needed sufficient expertize and clout to pull off. This is probably the most ambitious film from him yet, the budget and runtime certainly suggests so.
    This movie will blows peoples minds. Some are saying its the movie Nolan has been trying to make his whole career, but needed sufficient expertize and clout to pull off. This is probably the most ambitious film from him yet, the budget and runtime certainly suggests so.

It's so awesome that people are saying stuff.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think Nolan's persistence for July speaks to the correlations between Tenet and Inception. Inception being released in July 2010.
    I don’t see why releasing in July is so important.
    edited June 2020 Posts: 13,034
    It can get people off the streets.

PersonalUnhappyFantail-size_restricted.gif
    Movie theaters’ "full-on rhythm" won’t return until 2022, Cinemark CEO says.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/movie-theaters-return-2022-cinemark-ceo-coronavirus-1202949956/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And AMC, the largest theater chain, is in doubt as to whether or not they can remain in business. Not good news for the theater industry, that's for sure.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The release date has now been moved two weeks to July 31st:

https://collider.com/christopher-nolan-tenet-delayed-coronavirus/
    So Inception on 17 July is the warm-up for Tenet 31 July. In more ways than one.
    Nah, I’ll just watch it at home. Makes no sense going to the theaters when I have a blu-ray copy.
    Beijing Cinemas Ordered To Remain Shut As New Covid-19 cases emerge.

Chinese authorities on Friday put another nail in the coffin for China’s film sector, formally announcing that cinemas in Beijing must remain shut for the time being.

Although this new Beijing directive only applies to the capital, it indicates that the official winds are not blowing in favor of re-opening cinemas at this time. This will likely make other regions wary of resuming business even if they are currently at low coronavirus risk.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/china-coronavirus-beijing-when-cinemas-reopening-1234633855/
    The 2021 Oscars are set to be delayed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/film-academy-board-set-postpone-oscars-ceremony-extend-eligibility-window-1298202

----

New York's governor is threatening to reinstate closings, to avoid spikes in new Covid-19 infections.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-york-gov-andrew-cuomo-threatens-reinstate-closings-1298349
    If this keeps up through the whole year, I don't see how there can be an Oscars covering films of 2020 with the limited amount of films. So far, I think the only legitimate contender is Elizabeth Moss for her performance in THE INVISIBLE MAN.
    If this keeps up through the whole year, I don't see how there can be an Oscars covering films of 2020 with the limited amount of films. So far, I think the only legitimate contender is Elizabeth Moss for her performance in THE INVISIBLE MAN.

they will likely include the DTS films like Scoob… though what award that could win is beyond me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Risico007 wrote: »

they will likely include the DTS films like Scoob… though what award that could win is beyond me.

Best Film, obviously! :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2020 Posts: 45,489
    So Inception on 17 July is the warm-up for Tenet 31 July. In more ways than one.

Here Inception is showing from 17th June. It has a few screenings this week and next. So do Interstellar, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises and Dunkirk, but no word on Tenet yet.
    Warner Bros were in favor of a longer delay for Tenet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/business/media/tenet-release-delayed.html

----

Tenet's Brazilian release date has been delayed to August 13th, 2020.
    Beijing Cinemas Ordered To Remain Shut As New Covid-19 cases emerge.

Chinese authorities on Friday put another nail in the coffin for China’s film sector, formally announcing that cinemas in Beijing must remain shut for the time being.

Although this new Beijing directive only applies to the capital, it indicates that the official winds are not blowing in favor of re-opening cinemas at this time. This will likely make other regions wary of resuming business even if they are currently at low coronavirus risk.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/china-coronavirus-beijing-when-cinemas-reopening-1234633855/

Beijing is battling 'explosive coronavirus outbreak' as food market cases mount.

The chief epidemiologist with the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention told yesterday that the situation was very serious.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/world/2020/06/672_291272.html

----

Beijing clustered infections are at high risk of spreading.

The clustered infection that was closely linked with Xinfadi Market, which is densely populated and highly mobile, has a very high risk of spreading.

As of press time, Beijing has reported 79 cases connected to Xinfadi Market. Beijing's latest outbreak has extended to three provinces.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1191598.shtml

----

After 1 month since Japan's movie theaters have reopened, Japan's weekly box office is down to 5% ($790,000) of the usual gross from the same time period in 2019 ($14 million).

Japan is one of the most successful countries in handling the Covid-19 pandemic (17,502 cases & 925 deaths).

https://qz.com/1868938/japans-slow-box-office-recovery-may-be-a-harbinger-for-hollywood

Word is it is Christopher Nolan that is pressurising Warner into the July 2020 release. They are more interested in protecting their investment and moving away from Covid.

As word beings to spread of an international re-opening plan for cinemas, it's looking more and more likely Tenet could very well come out this summer. Perhaps not the July 31 date, but probably August.

A few months ago, I wouldn't have thought that I would avoid cinemas for this film. However, I grow more anxious about having to sit in a cinema with strangers. Perhaps if the theatre is big enough and folk spaced out far enough...though even then it wouldn't feel great.

I must admit that I am hyped though...even if I thought Dunkirk was right-wing nonsense.

I'm literally obsessed with this shot:

tenor.gif?itemid=17341229