Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

I think it's just the DP's signature style for mood, which I'm not against. It's also prevalent in other films besides Spectre and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I remember when Interstellar came out I actually paid more attention to the photography of that because the DP was announced for SP. The guy likes his browns and yellows.
    The cinematographer doesn’t control the colour grade. That is handed over to a different team and on many big productions the cinematographer would be very lucky to get a say in how the final piece is graded.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I think it's just the DP's signature style for mood, which I'm not against. It's also prevalent in other films besides Spectre and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I remember when Interstellar came out I actually paid more attention to the photography of that because the DP was announced for SP. The guy likes his browns and yellows.
    The cinematographer doesn’t control the colour grade. That is handed over to a different team and on many big productions the cinematographer would be very lucky to get a say in how the final piece is graded.

I don't think Tenet had a formal colour grading process or underwent a DI. All shots were accomplished in camera. Nolan makes a point of ensuring that no extensive digital work goes into altering the image. He even makes a point of ensuring there is a credit at the end of his movies saying 'THIS FILM WAS COMPLETED ON FILM.'

Personally, I really like the more moody and ominous aesthetic that Hoyte Van Hoytema adopts.......Clearly so does Sam Mendes and Christopher Nolan.

I equally love the more lush and exotic feel that DPs like Phil Meheux bought to CR and Linus Sandgren seems to be bringing to NTTD.

The best part of the Bond franchise is that you have a wide spectrum of different styles depending on the director and DP. Unlike say the Marvel films which have a strict house style - which I find flat and ugly.

While I love Deakins's slick and modern look in SF - I actually have a very soft spot for Hotye's dusty and warm photography (I think it's evocative of the tone of John Le Carre's writing which suited SP and seemingly does Tenet). I think it's bloody gorgeous. It still shocks me that people don't get as excited as I do by it. But each to their own...I mean, this is beautiful:

spectre2015-2278.jpg
    spectre2015-2284.jpg
    spectre2015-4012.jpg

He has taken that dark and moody vibe to Tenet. Which I also think is beautiful. When I watched the trailer, I was gobsmacked by some of those visuals. I haven't had that feeling from a trailer in a long while.

If 2020 goes well and Tenet goes ahead. I think Hoyte may be the frontrunner for the Oscar.

EYn7UCTWAAEZYvq?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    EYlmE06XQAEVA86?format=jpg&name=large
    EYlmE05WsAAAHkU?format=jpg&name=large
    EYlmGtZXsAE5nvf?format=jpg&name=large
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,061
    If those shots haven't been graded I'll eat my PPK! :D
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think Tenet had a formal colour grading process or underwent a DI. All shots were accomplished in camera.

Every modern film, but especially ones with a sizeable budget that require substantial visual effects, will have a colourist to go through a colour grading process. Those shots above have been balanced and manipulated in post, I assure you. It would not be possible to get a consistent visual look in multiple different locations across the globe, over a four to six month shoot, without it.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »

lol, they definitely have been graded. And not to a great effect, IMO. That's not how a gorgeous film looks like, not in my book at least.
    I don't think Tenet had a formal colour grading process or underwent a DI. All shots were accomplished in camera.

Every modern film, but especially ones with a sizeable budget that require substantial visual effects, will have a colourist to go through a colour grading process. Those shots above have been balanced and manipulated in post, I assure you. It would not be possible to get a consistent visual look in multiple different locations across the globe, over a four to six month shoot, without it.

Absolutely.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    Univex wrote: »

lol, they definitely have been graded. And not to a great effect, IMO. That's not how a gorgeous film looks like, not in my book at least.

Absolutely.

I miss colours and saturation on film, like this (using a boat scene to compare):

31190530_12.jpg?v=8D61F1212DA4270

I loved VH's work on Dunkirk and Interstellar, though. But one should not be a one trick pony.

PS: Sorry, quoted myself thinking I was editing my own post. Damn.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

Given that it’s someone as heavily acclaimed and prolific in the industry like Hoyte Van Hoytema, I don’t doubt he had a say in how his movies should look.

I don't think Tenet had a formal colour grading process or underwent a DI. All shots were accomplished in camera. Nolan makes a point of ensuring that no extensive digital work goes into altering the image. He even makes a point of ensuring there is a credit at the end of his movies saying 'THIS FILM WAS COMPLETED ON FILM.'

You can still manipulate the colors during film processing, that wasn’t something that only digital could achieve. The breakthrough with digital grading was that it gave more control over how you want the colors to look, whereas on traditional film there were limitations on how to manipulate it. This is why the Coens and Deakins went with digital grading in 2000 for O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?, and here’s a pretty excellent video on the advocation of that method.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,061

You wouldn't even get a consistent look in the same scene when you changed shot. I'm sure I've seen an example of an ungraded scene somewhere recently (probably in some deleted scenes package I guess) and it's really distracting because it's so obvious that the two people talking aren't talking to each other at the same time: you almost can't concentrate on it because you can't believe it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Absolutely.

I miss colours and saturation on film, like this (using a boat scene to compare):

I loved VH's work on Dunkirk and Interstellar, though. But one should not be a one trick pony.

Funny thing is, on this bright white forum website page, that sunny image actually looks quite dark!
    :)

Absolutely.

Funny thing is, on this bright white forum website page, that sunny image actually looks quite dark!
    :)

Yes, I noticed the same. But it was made for the big dark room ;)
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Don't the existing black bars contribute to the darkness.

Quantum-of-Solace-0965.jpg

@Pierce2Daniel Haha, Tenet was definitely colour graded.
    Thanks for the head's up, guys. I'm a little uneducated on these points, so the more education I can gain on the subject is gratefully received. As far as I'm aware, Nolan does colour-grade his films but does so through a photochemical process opposed to a digital intermediate. That's what I meant....I'm afraid I was a little ignorant to the colour-grading process when I made my initial post.

Interesting that someone posted the shot of Craig on the boat from QOS - as there does seem to be a direct nod to the shot in Tenet

EYlV2SAUEAAc3ga?format=jpg&name=large

Both are very different nonetheless. Personally, I love them both. Tent is moody but still exotic and mysterious. Whilst QOS looks opulent and almost perfume-advert like in its perfection. (For me, when film cinematography is described even in a pejorative sense as being akin to 'perfume avert', I get excited as that is a big plus and suits my tastes massively).

What I'm most interested to see about Tenet is the marketing tour. These films have huge marketing roll-outs. Now, the international tour is probably not happening due to travel restrictions. However...............if I'm watching clips of John David Washington, Christopher Nolan and Robert Pattinson comfortably sitting at home telling me how important the theatrical experience is and how I should risk my life and my family's by spending 2 hours in the cinema........well........that does not sit right with me.

The double-standards would be grotesque. Millionaire filmstars sitting in their mansions asking us plebs to go sit in cinemas with the unwashed masses? There are some seriously concerning optics there. Warner have a tough job on their hands here.

Based off the trailer launch, that is the plan and it's kinda gross. Can't wait for the thinkpieces that Nolan is a puritan elitist happy to risk the public's life for his success

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks for the head's up, guys. I'm a little uneducated on these points, so the more education I can gain on the subject is gratefully received. As far as I'm aware, Nolan does colour-grade his films but does so through a photochemical process opposed to a digital intermediate. That's what I meant....I'm afraid I was a little ignorant to the colour-grading process when I made my initial post.

Interesting that someone posted the shot of Craig on the boat from QOS - as there does seem to be a direct nod to the shot in Tenet

EYlV2SAUEAAc3ga?format=jpg&name=large

Both are very different nonetheless. Personally, I love them both. Tent is moody but still exotic and mysterious. Whilst QOS looks opulent and almost perfume-advert like in its perfection. (For me, when film cinematography is described even in a pejorative sense as being akin to 'perfume avert', I get excited as that is a big plus and suits my tastes massively).

What I'm most interested to see about Tenet is the marketing tour. These films have huge marketing roll-outs. Now, the international tour is probably not happening due to travel restrictions. However...............if I'm watching clips of John David Washington, Christopher Nolan and Robert Pattinson comfortably sitting at home telling me how important the theatrical experience is and how I should risk my life and my family's by spending 2 hours in the cinema........well........that does not sit right with me.

The double-standards would be grotesque. Millionaire filmstars sitting in their mansions asking us plebs to go sit in cinemas with the unwashed masses? There are some seriously concerning optics there. Warner have a tough job on their hands here.

Based off the trailer launch, that is the plan and it's kinda gross. Can't wait for the thinkpieces that Nolan is a puritan elitist happy to risk the public's life for his success

I definitely prefer the colour grading done in Spectre to the grading done to that scene in Tenet. The sepia tones were added (in SP) to Mexico and Morocco; sandy, hot. The problem with the grading in that Tenet scene (for me) is it's applied to water. That QoS shot is far better IMO as it allows the water (and the green hills) to add to the mood with their own colours. It's much richer. Just my thought.
    Tenet is going to be a long movie...all the more time to spend in the cinema to ensure you catch coronavirus

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I guarantee by 2030 films will be five hours long... and I dig it haha :D
    Tenet won't be any longer than two hour 45 mins. An IMAX theatre can't hold reels longer than that.
    Two parter... two reels... intermission... 5h30m? ;)
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,027
    Tenet won't be any longer than two hour 45 mins. An IMAX theatre can't hold reels longer than that.

True, I remember the end credits for INTERSTELLAR had to be altered to a slideshow form rather than scroll up like normal as a way to shorten the film.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    I recall @antovolk saying in respect to similar rumours surrounding NTTD that the IMAX platters (which are very large) cannot manage films that are over 2hr 45min mark. So I suppose the film is either directly at that length or Nolan has found some way to tweak the format.

I mean this runtime length is only a problem for theatres who project 70mm. In that respect, it wouldn't impact any other IMAX theatres or any normal cinemas. Perhaps cinemas can figure out a way to screen Tenet at a mammoth 195 minutes.

Also, epic new covers for Total Film magazine. Literally getting so hyped seeing these photos of JDW in full Bond mode.

EY3WMArXYAA1Ndb?format=jpg&name=large
    EY3V1veX0AIU50j?format=jpg&name=large

Does anyone know about the marketing though? I think it's a very important point. I hate to quote myself, but I really think this is an important point we need to consider.........

If it’s only a problem for IMAX, then surely the easiest thing to do is have an intermission in the IMAX cinemas when they change the platters over.

In other cinemas no changeover is needed, so it can be shown as a single 3 hr plus movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

True, I remember the end credits for INTERSTELLAR had to be altered to a slideshow form rather than scroll up like normal as a way to shorten the film.

Really? That's a good fact!
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,164
    If it’s only a problem for IMAX, then surely the easiest thing to do is have an intermission in the IMAX cinemas when they change the platters over.

In other cinemas no changeover is needed, so it can be shown as a single 3 hr plus movie.

Was only done once for Avatar Special Edition...with the current state of IMAX projection tech & staffing I doubt they'd be able to do that again. Nolan knows the ins and outs of this as an actual projection format as opposed to just shooting so IMO most likely will make sure it's no longer than 165 in his preferred format, so make sure the process is as smooth as possible for these screenings.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 631

Why don’t film makers just show a web link at the end of a film? Then, if anyone is interested enough to look at the credits, they could type the link into their tablet or phone and then watch the credits scroll.

The end of the film could just say “Go to Tenet.com/credits to see the credits”

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ooh, like Spooks! :)

Why don’t film makers just show a web link at the end of a film? Then, if anyone is interested enough to look at the credits, they could type the link into their tablet or phone and then watch the credits scroll.

I think this would be seen as disrespectful to all the people who worked on the film. It’s disrespectful enough when people leave the theatre before/during the credits.

I think this would be seen as disrespectful to all the people who worked on the film. It’s disrespectful enough when people leave the theatre before/during the credits.

Yeah, I’m sure the union guilds would not approve of that.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 3,164
    https://www.gamesradar.com/tenet-christopher-nolan-james-bond/
    “My love of the spy genre comes from the Bond franchise, and the Bond character very specifically. I know as much about the Bond films as Alan Partridge does.
    Bold claim.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I completely agree!