Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It does look similar to SPECTRE.
    Almost as if it has the same DP.
    That's what I love about it.

Bond fans: "Ew. SPECTRE looked so awful. That brown/yellow piss color ruined it!"

Also Bond fans: "TENET is what a Bond film should look like."
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't think they look alike at all tbh.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Never had a problem with Spectre's filters tbh. Definitely don't have a problem with any of the colouring in the Tenet trailer.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Never had a problem with Spectre's filters tbh. Definitely don't have a problem with any of the colouring in the Tenet trailer.
    I had a problem with Spectre's because a lot of the colouring made what we were seeing look fake or too muted, whereas with Tenet they seem to have gone for a subtler approach (colour-wise). I think the issue with Spectre was that they wanted it to emulate Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but it just it didn't work in most scenes - for me.

The colouring and tone of Spectre was very classic, small-scale spy espionage which ended up downplaying the more larger than life sequences of the movie.
    I think it's just the DP's signature style for mood, which I'm not against. It's also prevalent in other films besides Spectre and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I remember when Interstellar came out I actually paid more attention to the photography of that because the DP was announced for SP. The guy likes his browns and yellows.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think it's just the DP's signature style for mood, which I'm not against. It's also prevalent in other films besides Spectre and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I remember when Interstellar came out I actually paid more attention to the photography of that because the DP was announced for SP. The guy likes his browns and yellows.
    Yeah I like it in other uses, like Tinker Tailor; it fits perfect, but it felt like with Spectre they had their finger on the yellow and brown button for too long haha :D But other than that, even in the interiors of the Moroccan base - everyone looked slightly QGI which was a weird choice I always thought.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I had a problem with Spectre's because a lot of the colouring made what we were seeing look fake or too muted, whereas with Tenet they seem to have gone for a subtler approach (colour-wise). I think the issue with Spectre was that they wanted it to emulate Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but it just it didn't work in most scenes - for me.

The colouring and tone of Spectre was very classic, small-scale spy espionage which ended up downplaying the more larger than life sequences of the movie.

Valid issues with Spectre for sure. I suppose it just didn't bother me as much. It was maybe a little heavy in Mexico where it could have benefitted more from the colours of Dia Los Muertos, but I was happy with the feeling it created in Morocco.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

Valid issues with Spectre for sure. I suppose it just didn't bother me as much. It was maybe a little heavy in Mexico where it could have benefitted more from the colours of Dia Los Muertos, but I was happy with the feeling it created in Morocco.
    I loved the L'American sequences with Bond and Madeleine, especially the shot of Madeleine pulling the curtain around the bed. I really liked how that was lit, but to keep it on topic, I do think Tenet's visuals are a slight improvement for me.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Bond fans: "Ew. SPECTRE looked so awful. That brown/yellow piss color ruined it!"

I think the reason for that is bond film's are realistic spy film's, Tenet on the other hand seems to be a bit sc-fi or time traveling concept from what i have heard. There should be a limit to Color Grading in realistic film's. We can't expect something like this in a bond film, even though both film's (SF/Blade runner) had the same Cinematographer.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSkari7BUogJfM3g8XM5CwwEnxttIRfNfxkt6vY9T9fkG4sE5Gr&usqp=CAU
    Yeah. Just because one style didn't work for one film, doesn't mean it won't work on the other. To pretend otherwise is toddler behaviour.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think the reason for that is bond film's are realistic spy film's, Tenet on the other hand seems to be a bit sc-fi or time traveling concept from what i have heard. There should be a limit to Color Grading in realistic film's. We can't expect something like this in a bond film, even though both film's (SF/Blade runner) had the same Cinematographer.
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSkari7BUogJfM3g8XM5CwwEnxttIRfNfxkt6vY9T9fkG4sE5Gr&usqp=CAU

That's a bit of a stretch.

Maybe, but compared to Tenet and Blade Runner, they certainly are.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,046

Maybe, but compared to Tenet and Blade Runner, they certainly are.

Apples and oranges, I think. And certainly not a valid example as to why a certain style of colour grading should not be utilised, in my opinion. If it were, all genre films would look the same.

Edit: to clarify, I don't think Tenet and Spectre look all that similar, based on the trailer.
    No, in a debate of realism in film it isn't apples and oranges. I agree though that realism shouldn't necessarily dictate color grading. I also agree that Spectre and Tenet don't really look that similar.
    Maybe @Resurrection is saying that in films that aren't trying to be as realistic, they can take more artistic liberties with the colors to tell the story they want to tell, and realistic films should take the images they're capturing and make them as true to life as possible.

I'm not saying Bond films are 100% realistic of course, but somewhere in between and closer to John LeCarre than Philip K Dick.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,046
    No, in a debate of realism in film it isn't apples and oranges. I agree though that realism shouldn't necessarily dictate color grading. I also agree that Spectre and Tenet don't really look that similar.

Apples and oranges in the sense that they are different genres, I think. There is very little realism in Spectre, irrespective of what you are comparing it to. It's not a "realistic spy film", no matter what way you cut it. Very few Bond films are.

Glad we agree on the rest though :)
    edited May 2020 Posts: 7,527
    Fair point, but Tenet seems to be a similar genre? Isn't it a spy film? And I would still say Spectre is rooted in real life, with hyperbole; distinct from entirely unrealistic concepts such as time manipulation and sentient robots.
    Fair point, but Tenet seems to be a similar genre? Isn't it a spy film? And I would still say Spectre is rooted in real life, with hyperbole; distinct from entirely unrealistic concepts such as time manipulation and sentient robots.

Well, all I can really say to this without going wildly off-topic is that Blade Runner and Tenet also have overlapping genre trappings (with both of them being sci-fi in the broadest sense) and yet they look completely different. But, if you ask me, a sentient robot (these days, at least) is no more fantastical than a gentleman spy driving around in a gadget laden prototype car that costs a million pounds. However, I guess that just depends on your point of view on all things technological.

But I digress - considering we had the same thoughts on everything else, I think we're looking at the same painting - the same information - just from slightly different angles @NickTwentyTwo! An interesting conversation.
    Totally. And I see more now where you’re coming from with the comparisons between films.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Tenet looks infinitely better than SPECTRE.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,081

I haven't gone back and looked at it, but I got the impression it's very blue and cold. It's certainly more stylised than most movies.

It also leans on modernism fairly heavily: there's quite a lot in the way of more brutalist concrete mid-century stuff in there, whereas Spectre was very classical (the crater base and snowy institute aside). That's a production design decision rather than cinematography of course, but it all goes down the same hole
    ;)
    Having just watched it, I really like it more and more every time. I agree with you that it is heavily stylized in that way, but I kind of like it. The theme of changing between hot and cold is perhaps overdone with the colouring, but it’s not something that stuck out to me as a bad thing until reading others’ opinions here on the boards.

I need to stop posting on here, keep going off topic lol, would rather talk about Bond :P
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I need to stop posting on here, keep going off topic lol, would rather talk about Bond :P

Well it is a Bond board, that seems reasonable! :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think it's allowed considering the obvious correlations :)
    I haven't watched the trailer yet. I only watched the first one once as I just want to experience the film as is, knowing as little as I can. I trust Nolan enough at this point where I don't need a trailer to get me excited.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,081
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I haven't watched the trailer yet. I only watched the first one once as I just want to experience the film as is, knowing as little as I can. I trust Nolan enough at this point where I don't need a trailer to get me excited.

They all die at the end of the trailer.

;)

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Second trailer gives more of Batman Begins feeling and stil the feeling this will be Nolan Matrix or Source Code. Music sound a bit lighter.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Looks like the lighter Nolan film ever. Loving the Bondian elements and yes, looks like HVH best work. Hopefully the time inversion concept will be handled better than the dream diving concept of Inception.