Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

echo wrote: »

True, I remember the end credits for INTERSTELLAR had to be altered to a slideshow form rather than scroll up like normal as a way to shorten the film.

Why don’t film makers just show a web link at the end of a film? Then, if anyone is interested enough to look at the credits, they could type the link into their tablet or phone and then watch the credits scroll.

The end of the film could just say “Go to Tenet.com/credits to see the credits”

I think this would be seen as disrespectful to all the people who worked on the film. It’s disrespectful enough when people leave the theatre before/during the credits.

I completely agree!

I agree as well.
    I know that Nolan loves the Bond franchise, but I always thought that regardless of that love, he'd never direct one. Mainly as he scratched the franchise itch with Batman and Eon might not be interested in such a 'name' director. However, these recent comments pretty much confirm that Nolan wants to make a proper Bond film, with EON also adapting to new filmmakers...I imagine that he has a very specific idea. In fact, I think that Nolan probably has had his idea for a Bond film for a very long while....

I mean, Bond 26 could see an entire clean slate and a possible auteur like Nolan could slot in nicely. Crikey....the prospect of a Christopher Nolan directed film is intense.

We might even get Tom Hardy as Bond....

8ec8fed472aa9b8ed38ee45433d5dbbb.gif
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    Except something changes or happens, it looks like it's 80% certain that Nolan would direct Bond 26. I can't imagine him not directing Bond 26, since TENET is yet again, looking like another unofficial Nolan Bond film. Nolan might even join Zimmer & Marr for Bond 26, coz like Zimmer, Nolan needs to pour out his James Bond hunger....only problem I would have with that, would be another lengthy absence of David Arnold.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Nolan proving his Bond credential yet again. Here he speaks of the story of how Sean Connery was cast:
    https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/amp32617787/john-david-washington-tenet-denzel-son-life-story/?__twitter_impression=true

“The film has more action than any film I’ve ever done. It has a plethora of action sequences that he’s taken the lead in. So he gets to do all kinds of different things. That athleticism also puts itself into the way he walks down the street and the way he talks and the way he moves,” Nolan says. “I remember years ago reading an account of when [Bond franchise producer] Cubby Broccoli first saw Sean Connery and considered him to play James Bond. He looked out the window and watched him walk away at the end of the meeting and said, ‘He moves like a panther, he moves like a cat, like a catlike grace,’ and I think John David has his own version of that. In every move, there’s this extraordinary athleticism and energy. This kind of controlled energy just fits this type of character so well. He’s just extraordinarily graceful.”

I'd only accept a Nolan directed Bond film with Hardy as 007...
    source.gif

I think it's clear that Nolan has clearly watched all the behind-the-scenes documentaries. Though, I think it was Saltzman who made the comments about Connery moving like a cat. But still, it's a pretty deep cut Bond reference.

Also more Tenet photos:

EY8waX5VcAE86wH?format=jpg&name=medium
    mYDRRFd6BJgqfxjAyPYEX9-970-80.jpg.webp
    EY8waX7UEAMqmG6?format=jpg&name=medium
    EZAtre5WsAMnP2x?format=jpg&name=medium
    pickup13-1590628677.jpg?resize=640:*
    pickup8-1590624216.jpg?resize=640:*
    pickup12-1590628649.jpg?resize=640:*
    pickup11-1590628618.jpg?resize=640:*
    EZCCfZpWAAI67Lp?format=jpg&name=small
    3-1590620167.jpg?resize=640:*
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,692
    Tom Hardy is most likely too old to be the next Bond actor. He'll be 43 this September, and with Bond 26 3/4 years away, he'll be 46/47 years old. Way too old to start a tenure given EON won't churn out a new outing every year/2 years like in the good ol' days.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 6,677
    The only scene directed by Nolan that has ever screamed Bond to me is the one of Bruce Wayne on his yacht with the ballet company. And maybe the snow bits in Inception, but just a little. It lacked panache and exoticism, which I think most Nolan films lack, as is perfectly exemplified by his almost sterile depiction of women. There's not enough "sexiness" in his films. IMO, of course. But I am a fan. A big one, at that.

Oh, and I can't stand Tom Hardy ;)
    Tom Hardy as 007 would be enough for me to switch off, he is even more of a thug as Daniel Craigs Bond at times was. No more for me please.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Hardy would be a terrible Bond. However, if he was cast we'd not only get the scar down the cheek, but one down the other cheek as well as numerous others on other parts of Bond's face. Hardy can't resist prosthetics these days.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Hardy would be a terrible Bond. However, if he was cast we'd not only get the scar down the cheek, but one down the other cheek as well as numerous others on other parts of Bond's face. Hardy can't resist prosthetics these days.
    We should probably keep this on topic - again. I've left a response to the Tom Hardy thing on the Bond actor thread. Tenet looks great. Has anyone else seen the rumours that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is the real villain of the film?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    French cinemas will reopen nation-wide on June 22nd, a little under 4 weeks from now. I am looking forward to seeing movies (especially Tenet) on the big screen again, with all health & safety precautions taken, of course.
    I know that Nolan loves the Bond franchise, but I always thought that regardless of that love, he'd never direct one. Mainly as he scratched the franchise itch with Batman and Eon might not be interested in such a 'name' director. However, these recent comments pretty much confirm that Nolan wants to make a proper Bond film, with EON also adapting to new filmmakers...I imagine that he has a very specific idea. In fact, I think that Nolan probably has had his idea for a Bond film for a very long while....

I mean, Bond 26 could see an entire clean slate and a possible auteur like Nolan could slot in nicely. Crikey....the prospect of a Christopher Nolan directed film is intense.

We might even get Tom Hardy as Bond....

8ec8fed472aa9b8ed38ee45433d5dbbb.gif

don't tempt my dreams
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I love Hardy. He is a tremendous actor. But he isn't Bond, folks.
    edited May 2020 Posts: 4,247
    As much as we've enjoyed Craig's Bond, I don't think the world wants another Brooding Bond, coz that's the type Hardy would be....of course he's a great actor & I like him, but we need Bond kissing the girl at the film's end again.
    What's with the blonde woman. She almost doesn't look real. She looks CGI, wtf?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited May 2020 Posts: 8,027
    I can see Hardy do a more charismatic/humorous Bond contrasting Craig's. He's not my first choice, but I can see it work under the right direction.
    Hardy to me would bring back the Connery cocky approach.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Univex wrote: »
    The only scene directed by Nolan that has ever screamed Bond to me is the one of Bruce Wayne on his yacht with the ballet company. And maybe the snow bits in Inception, but just a little. It lacked panache and exoticism, which I think most Nolan films lack, as is perfectly exemplified by his almost sterile depiction of women. There's not enough "sexiness" in his films. IMO, of course. But I am a fan. A big one, at that.

I agree with you. His films are clinical, and to the extent they are emotional, it is because of the actors (DiCaprio and Cotillard dig deep in Inception).
    echo wrote: »
    I agree with you. His films are clinical, and to the extent they are emotional, it is because of the actors (DiCaprio and Cotillard dig deep in Inception).

Yeah I think so too. He’s not like early Spielberg, say, who could nail both the technical and the emotional sides perfectly. But perhaps Tenet will prove me wrong.

I have never really forgiven Nolan for mucking up The Prestige, based on a novel by one of my favourite science fiction authors. Although I quite like Nolan’s film (it’s the most emotional one of his that I have seen) the big “twist” at the end of the film is just a minor twist in the novel, and it comes halfway through.
    So I guess Ludwig Goransson's score would start surfacing soon.....maybe a few tracks first.
    Australia becomes the first country to pull Tenet from its July release. No new release date confirmed.
    Saw this in another forum; the homage!

29-ABEE44-2-E46-4-F5-D-96-F0-F571469227-BD.jpg

Goldfinger-Suit.jpg

nice catch.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    What an Iconic suit. Made sure to put one in my closet.
    If the riots are any indication, this flick isn’t gonna come out.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Yes, and with Australia pulling it as @DaltonCraig007 mentioned, it does seem very unlikely at this point. I'd be sad if theatres reopened in July and we still had to wait until November for Bond anyways.
    I honestly rather wait for Bond at this point rather than have it come out at a time when it's too dangerous. November really was a very safe date to pick so that they'd have time to see how the pandemic played out and it's been their most reliable month since 1995.

And to add to that: There are currently 40 million unemployed Americans and a global pandemic that requires strict social distancing measures. And these riots are happening precisely in Covid-19 hot-spots. I am still unsure of not only Tenet's release, but NTTD's release. A global pandemic (the biggest in decades), a global recession (the biggest in a century), and now major social troubles (the biggest in decades) happening all at once is a recipe for disaster.
    It's not surprising given the cultural climate. With people so frustrated over an ineffective government showing no leadership, police forces with abysmal training, and all the social issues that have been bottled up for a decade, people are rightfully angry and are expressing it, even if it risks spreading Covid-19 they want to be heard by leaders who'd sooner listen to their rich corporate donors than the citizens getting the brunt of it all.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm fully supporting the riots that started this week. I am just noting that 2020 is a very chaotic year. A lot of global issues happening at the same time. I can hardly believe we are still in May, 2019 feels ages ago already.