Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't expect any of the major releases slated for 2020 openings are going to make it.

They will have to be delayed until 2021 -- or else go the streaming route.

By that same logic, all 2021 films cannot get made nor be completed in time. Which means 2020 can just be written off entirely....surely not.

Who is even to say next spring cinemas will re-open. This doesn't miraculously go away in the new year. Worst case scenario is that lockdown goes on to 2022.
    echo wrote: »
    I'm not risking my life for a Christopher Nolan movie.

Hmm....I would. Perhaps me and few devoted other can get some prime seats at the Waterloo IMAX screen.

In fact, I hope this happens in July.

tenor.gif?itemid=11736436

...plus cinemas will likely be open then. Let's be optimistic!

Do not get your hopes up. Only 2 weeks ago US cinema chains were hoping of a re-opening in Mid-June. The re-opening date they will give will just be pushed back every 2 weeks by clockwork until September (which is still a very optimistic estimation).

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/amc-hoping-to-reopen-movie-theaters-by-mid-june/

China re-opened their cinemas on March 23rd after 2 months of closure. Guess what happened? China decided to re-close them by March 27th. We are nearing 1 month of this secondary closure, and China has absolutely no specific plans on re-opening them again yet.

If you put that same timeframe to US cinemas, given they closed in mid-March, that would mean all US theater chains will remain closed until early August (at the very minimum), which shows that the article in your post above may prove unrealistic. Especially since the pandemic oubreak is currently much worse in the US than in China, and with much less strict lockdowns, it's safe to add 2/3 extra months to any re-opening scenarios.

Aren't the USA talking about lifting restrictions and getting the economy back to work. I heard they are past the peak and there will be some announcement this evening that business as usual will recommence in early May.

Every business will re-open as they can't afford to keep the lights off. I'm sure cinemas will open as well. Of course, people may not turn up as (1) there is nothing 'exciting' opening and (2) public confidence is low and sitting in a dark room with strangers isn't on anyone's priority list currently.

Speaking personally, Tenet would get me to leave the house. I'm in the midsts of a Christopher Nolan marathon
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2020 Posts: 15,690
    [Aren't the USA talking about lifting restrictions and getting the economy back to work. I heard they are past the peak and there will be some announcement this evening that business as usual will recommence in early May.

They aren't past their peak.* And such decisions will only make thing even worse, and we can definitely kiss goodbye to seeing NTTD this year, given the US re-opening their economy will likely cause a second wave of the outbreak.

We will all soon need to admit and realize that business as usual will be impossible for the foreseeable future. France and several European countries have already announced that cinemas/theaters/concert venues will remain closed until September at the earliest. So whatever positive messages from the US is pure fantasy at this point, and if implemented will render this September start-date moot as we may very well all be in a world-wide lockdown again by that point.

* US number of testing has been cut by nearly half in the recent days. Less testing = less confirmed cases = we can re-open the economy because the virus is going away.
    By that same logic, all 2021 films cannot get made nor be completed in time. Which means 2020 can just be written off entirely....surely not.

2020 movies will be pushed to 2021, and 2021 movies pushed to 2022, and so on.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Exactly. All the movies scheduled to open in 2020 will be delayed next year. There’s a slight chance for December 2020 but this is what will happen. If I were EoN I would set a new bulletproof release date by November 2021 and that’s it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    matt_u wrote: »
    Exactly. All the movies scheduled to open in 2020 will be delayed next year. There’s a slight chance for December 2020 but this is what will happen. If I were EoN I would set a new bulletproof release date by November 2021 and that’s it.

If there was ever a prime opportunity to have a summer Bond release again, summer 2021 would be it. If the pandemic doesn't improve by the end of the year, most summer 2021 films will not be able to be completed in time. Tenet, Fast 9 and NTTD could make huge $$$.

If there was ever a prime opportunity to have a summer Bond release again, summer 2021 would be it. If the pandemic doesn't improve by the end of the year, most summer 2021 films will not be able to be completed in time. Tenet, Fast 9 and NTTD could make huge $$$.

Yes... a summer release would also work.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    echo wrote: »
    I'm not risking my life for a Christopher Nolan movie.

Agreed. No film is worth risking your life for.

Tell that to Tom Cruise.

No.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    [Aren't the USA talking about lifting restrictions and getting the economy back to work. I heard they are past the peak and there will be some announcement this evening that business as usual will recommence in early May.

They aren't past their peak.* And such decisions will only make thing even worse, and we can definitely kiss goodbye to seeing NTTD this year, given the US re-opening their economy will likely cause a second wave of the outbreak.

We will all soon need to admit and realize that business as usual will be impossible for the foreseeable future. France and several European countries have already announced that cinemas/theaters/concert venues will remain closed until September at the earliest. So whatever positive messages from the US is pure fantasy at this point, and if implemented will render this September start-date moot as we may very well all be in a world-wide lockdown again by that point.

* US number of testing has been cut by nearly half in the recent days. Less testing = less confirmed cases = we can re-open the economy because the virus is going away.

2020 movies will be pushed to 2021, and 2021 movies pushed to 2022, and so on.

Please don't mistake everyone--or every state--in the US as the same.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 4,400
    TENT NOT MOVING FROM JULY 2020 DATE (FOR NOW)
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/christopher-nolan-tenet-open-july-17-theaters-closed-1202226530/

It looks as though Nolan is attempting to pivot himself as the saviour of cinema this summer. Personally I'm praying he pulls it off. It's kinda crazy, but quite impressive. Tenet could occupy every cinema screen around the globe. That would be an impressive feat.

ab0b7fe26b7b6e30689b4cead5e2bb39750d8a3b.gifv

Come summer cue the rumours of John David Washington being the next Bond...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TENT NOT MOVING FROM JULY 2020 DATE (FOR NOW)
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/christopher-nolan-tenet-open-july-17-theaters-closed-1202226530/

It looks as though Nolan is attempting to pivot himself as the saviour of cinema this summer. Personally I'm praying he pulls it off. It's kinda crazy, but quite impressive. Tenet could occupy every cinema screen around the globe. That would be an impressive feat.

ab0b7fe26b7b6e30689b4cead5e2bb39750d8a3b.gifv

Come summer cue the rumours of John David Washington being the next Bond...

It won't be happening here because there is now where in hell cinemas will be open in the UK by then.

I'll be very surprised if it isn't announced soon this is being put back, ludicrous to think it wouldn't be.

It has already been said pubs, bars and restaurants are unlikely to be opened until the end of the year so cinemas certainly aren't going to be opened in July here.

If you think this is coming out in the summer you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm a big fan of Nolan and was looking very much forward to this (I caught the IMAX prologue at at a screening of TROS at the beginning of the year) but like NTTD I'm preparing for this next year now.

If Trump wants to open up America and Nolan wants to release it just there that is his and WB's business but I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,447
    14 January 2021 mabey be a good Dutch release date, 8 January for UK/VS.

08 January 1998: Titanic
    09 January 2003: Die Another Day
    08 January 2004: The Last Samurai

On this moment Peter Rabbit 2 is only movie on this moment with a release on 13 January 2021 and two weaks later on 27 January is the release of Rumble.

11 or 18 November 2020 is for No Time To Die and 24 December for Top Gun 2, whyle i must say it is possible of course that Top Gun 2 wil move to 7 January or that 14 January. The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (Stil set on 20 August in The Netherlands) possible wil move to February if Dutch cinema's wil not be re-open before 01 September. On this moment that's set on 01 June, but other big events wil be not aloud til 01 September. On this moment i expect NTTD 11 or 18 November or mabey another delay till 17/18 December 2020.
    Major french cinema chain boss says a mid-July re-opening is 'unrealistic'.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/french-cinema-chain-july-reopening-is-unrealistic-theaters-not-a-frightening-experience-1202917022/

It is looking more and more likely that Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984 and Mulan are going to be delayed to late 2020/2021.
    Major french cinema chain boss says a mid-July re-opening is 'unrealistic'.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/french-cinema-chain-july-reopening-is-unrealistic-theaters-not-a-frightening-experience-1202917022/

It is looking more and more likely that Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984 and Mulan are going to be delayed to late 2020/2021.

which is honestly not surpising hell Sandiego Comic con is canceled …

Yes's Fall tour was cancelled before it was even announced!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Cannes Film Festival this year is also cancelled, for the first time in 50 years (as I'm sure has been mentioned). 2020 is definitely a write off.
  • Cannes Film Festival this year is also cancelled, for the first time in 50 years (as I'm sure has been mentioned). 2020 is definitely a write off.
    There was a plan to postpone the official selection to another point, or even to collaborate with the Venice Film Festival to do something in common. Anyway, the other competitions (La Quinzaine des Réalisateurs, Un Certain Regard) are canceled.
    A 1 year delay to summer 2021 is looking more and more like a perfect solution for Tenet. Indiana Jones 5, The Batman, Mission Impossible 7 and now MCU Spider-Man 3 have all been delayed to late 2021/summer 2022.
    Cinemas reopening in California still 'months away', according to the state's Governor.

https://www.thewrap.com/reopening-movie-theaters-and-concerts-in-california-still-months-away-governor-says/

This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for Tenet's, Mulan's and Wonder Woman 1984's current release dates.
    Cinemas reopening in California still 'months away', according to the state's Governor.

https://www.thewrap.com/reopening-movie-theaters-and-concerts-in-california-still-months-away-governor-says/

This is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for Tenet's, Mulan's and Wonder Woman 1984's current release dates.

These films are coming out in 3-4 months time.....so to quote Bane from TDKR:

EKkSJE-it7WtY8b5RhIyAX0zmuw0yVlyOGTwgWyIoGn3JVJ29FLmf-O_LrsEZHYcV4TC7Vy7wMrFFVcI1aa_1ndRqsThvezj67kUfUmGBKTjzUT6X8Gz2zWvuwVh0qHGUrusR__PHUZ_mVBr0RW5o1ZAUR2tnYHtqpo

The virus isn't going anywhere...we now have to learn to live with the virus. I think movie theatres will be a casualty of this process. They are going through hell currently, but I anticipate that pressure will be reduced in summer.

EKkSJE-it7WtY8b5RhIyAX0zmuw0yVlyOGTwgWyIoGn3JVJ29FLmf-O_LrsEZHYcV4TC7Vy7wMrFFVcI1aa_1ndRqsThvezj67kUfUmGBKTjzUT6X8Gz2zWvuwVh0qHGUrusR__PHUZ_mVBr0RW5o1ZAUR2tnYHtqpo

The virus isn't going anywhere...we now have to learn to live with the virus. I think movie theatres will be a casualty of this process. They are going through hell currently, but I anticipate that pressure will be reduced in summer.

May 1st is this Friday. Tenet comes out on July 17th, which is in 2.5 months, not '3-4 months' as you said. If we take the literal best case scenario of 'months' (plural), the smallest amount of months would be 2. That brings us to July 1st. Do you honestly believe cinemas can be up ad running within 2 weeks in order for Tenet to be released? Even assuming cinemas can open, what I'm reading on-line is attendance will be limited to 25% capacity. That is just impossible circumstances for a 200 million budget film like Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 to be released. Unless they want those films to be huge flops, they will delay them, and instead re-release old films this summer to 'test the waters.'

And again, your anticipation is overly optimistic, as several countries have already confirmed that cinemas will not re-open before September at the earliest. And if a second wave of the outbreak happens, cinemas will remain closed until 2021.

China re-opened cinemas in late March, after 2 months of closure, but a spike in new infections forced them to close them again within 5 days. We are now over 1 month since the second closure, and China still have zero plans to re-open them for a second time.
    I just don't know when or if life will return to normal
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

May 1st is this Friday. Tenet comes out on July 17th, which is in 2.5 months, not '3-4 months' as you said. If we take the literal best case scenario of 'months' (plural), the smallest amount of months would be 2. That brings us to July 1st. Do you honestly believe cinemas can be up ad running within 2 weeks in order for Tenet to be released? Even assuming cinemas can open, what I'm reading on-line is attendance will be limited to 25% capacity. That is just impossible circumstances for a 200 million budget film like Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 to be released. Unless they want those films to be huge flops, they will delay them, and instead re-release old films this summer to 'test the waters.'

And again, your anticipation is overly optimistic, as several countries have already confirmed that cinemas will not re-open before September at the earliest. And if a second wave of the outbreak happens, cinemas will remain closed until 2021.

China re-opened cinemas in late March, after 2 months of closure, but a spike in new infections forced them to close them again within 5 days. We are now over 1 month since the second closure, and China still have zero plans to re-open them for a second time.

He's the king of wishful thinking.
    Well that wishful thinking is certainly shared by the National Association of Theater Owners in the US, which confirmed (after AMC and Cinemark already have) current plans to reopen in time for Tenet and Mulan, which are expected to get extra screens and longer theatrical runs to make up for social distancing restrictions.

https://variety.com/2020/film/features/theaters-reopening-plan-coronavirus-john-fithian-1234592228/
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I admire their positive outlook. I hope it pays off for them.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Desperate moves for desperate times.

Re-opening is up to the central government or to the single states?

In the US, it's single states. Which is why Georgia and Texas are reopen now...though cinemas aren't because no new films and wanting a coordinated relaunch
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    antovolk wrote: »

In the US, it's single states. Which is why Georgia and Texas are reopen now...though cinemas aren't because no new films and wanting a coordinated relaunch

Cinemas reopen in some cities here in Norway next week, but with an upper limit of 50 people in each theatre, and some space between audience who don t go together as family. My local cinema is not among those, but there are teaser posters up now for Mulan, Soul, Black Widow and the new Kingsman.
    Second trailer for Tenet possibly arriving today, 2PM UK time.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400

tenor.gif?itemid=14327622

.....Perfectly coincides with my Nolan marathon. Also, UK cinemas are planning a re-opening at the end of next month. Which means another 7 weeks of shutdown. The government are due to make a decision today on continuing lockdown and we should get an idea of exit strategy on Sunday.

Nolan is polarising social media. Some saying he's the soon-to-be saviour of film or he's being reckless and selfish (possibly even ignorant towards the prospects of a second wave).

I'm rather excited about sitting in the IMAX in Waterloo and watching this in all its glory.

edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    Also, UK cinemas are planning a re-opening at the end of next month. Which means another 7 weeks of shutdown. The government are due to make a decision today on continuing lockdown and we should get an idea of exit strategy on Sunday.

Very similar plan for France too, with cinemas aiming to re-open on July 1st. Will be curious to see what they will program while waiting for Tenet on July 22nd. In any case I'll try to watch all interesting films they'll showcase at my local cinema, whether recent or older classics.
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Also, UK cinemas are planning a re-opening at the end of next month. Which means another 7 weeks of shutdown. The government are due to make a decision today on continuing lockdown and we should get an idea of exit strategy on Sunday.

Very similar plan for France too, with cinemas aiming to re-open on July 1st. Will be curious to see what they will program while waiting for Tenet on July 22nd. In any case I'll try to watch all interesting films they'll showcase at my local cinema, whether recent or older classics.

I suspect that even if theatres are still closed in July due to the pandemic, Nolan's plan is to have Tenet in theatres whenever theatres open (whether it be July, August or September, etc). They will essentially drop the film whenever that is. Hence why the marketing isn't slowing down.......Meanwhile other blockbusters will get cold feet and move to 2021 (NTTD is already rumoured to be making that move).

Nolan is clearly forcing Warner's hand and saying Tenet will be there for theatre owners whenever it's safe to re-open. He won't shift the release and will give the beleaguered theatre-owners product whenever that reopening occurs......Only the most preeminent director today could pull it off.

Live footage of Nolan taking down Covid-19:
    727820616b01008f87b09af09b1f09f2--batman-dark-batman-vs.jpg
    So no trailer today.