Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Can't say the trailer blew me away, but it's Nolan, and I love the idea of a trippy, Inception esque take on Bond. I'll definitely be seeing it. Nolan has pretty much a flawless track record imo. Even Interstellar was decent.

You can say that again. Warner Bros must be bending over backwards to finance his projects. I can already tell Tenet be another huge hit like his other movies.

Just imagine what this man could do with Bond.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Can't say the trailer blew me away, but it's Nolan, and I love the idea of a trippy, Inception esque take on Bond. I'll definitely be seeing it. Nolan has pretty much a flawless track record imo. Even Interstellar was decent.

You can say that again. Warner Bros must be bending over backwards to finance his projects. I can already tell Tenet be another huge hit like his other movies.

He’d bring back Hoyte van Hoytema so we can all satiate in that “piss yellow” color pallet. It’s inevitable!
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

Yes this I agree with. I atleast want one bond film from Nolan.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm psyched about this film now. Really looking forward to it. I love Inception. I think this sounds very cool, complex, interesting. I like have familiar actors and a new lead unknown to me but looks great so far, time travel, all of it. Bring it on!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Another Inception-type experience, it seems. I'm totally in, looks fantastic and a weird play on our concept of time.

That is exactly what I first thought too!
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677

I love Nolan.The Prestige is one of my favourite films ever.

That being said, I don't want him near a Bond film. I'd rather have Denis Villeneuve do it. I can't help but feel we've been there, regarding Nolan, with the Mendes films, which I like, but am a bit tired of. When I saw Inception, and that beginning in the Japanese castle, I immediately said Nolan should do Bond. Now, I don't think I'm opened to that as I used to be. Well, at least it would be an intelligent entry, I'm sure. Just keep Hoyte, Hans, and the usual Nolan golden cast out of it.
    Nooooo, I want Zimmer! Give me my Zimmer!!!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I wouldn't watch Interstellar again if you paid me.

I'm on the same page as you, here. I've given it four or five rewatches since it came out, and it gets worse with each viewing. It's visually stunning and gloriously scored, but the narrative is so very weak. The last time I walked out of a Nolan film satisfied was Inception.

Hopefully Tenet will be a return to form. All the pieces are there.

I wasn't really a big fan of Interstellar either, but I loved Dunkirk.

Technically impressive for sure, but beyond that....
    Univex wrote: »

I love Nolan.The Prestige is one of my favourite films ever.

That being said, I don't want him near a Bond film. I'd rather have Denis Villeneuve do it. I can't help but feel we've been there, regarding Nolan, with the Mendes films, which I like, but am a bit tired of. When I saw Inception, and that beginning in the Japanese castle, I immediately said Nolan should do Bond. Now, I don't think I'm opened to that as I used to be. Well, at least it would be an intelligent entry, I'm sure. Just keep Hoyte, Hans, and the usual Nolan golden cast out of it.

Spot on.
    I love the colour palette of this trailer. It looks like someone soaked it in piss. But clear piss. The kind of piss you have after you drank a lot of water. It's not yellow piss.
    I love the colour palette of this trailer. It looks like someone soaked it in piss. But clear piss. The kind of piss you have after you drank a lot of water. It's not yellow piss.
    :P :-D
    I hope when he’s asked which shade of piss was used for the color palette his answer is “piss off”.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited December 2019 Posts: 3,497

Where does this "it's his take on Bond" come from?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I believe Nolan said in an interview that he based Inception's snowy dream sequence on OHMSS, which is his favorite Bond film.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    JamesCraig wrote: »

I believe Nolan said in an interview that he based Inception's snowy dream sequence on OHMSS, which is his favorite Bond film.

Oh, that's great. But how does that make Tenet " a take on Bond done in Nolan style"?
    . Well, at least it would be an intelligent entry, I'm sure.
    If only Nolan's films actually were that intelligent.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    They're certainly more intelligent than the Bond movies haha!
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,318
    Am I the only in here who liked Spectre its cinematography by the amazingly talented Hoyte van Hoytema? Call it piss or call it noiresque, it's entirely subjective. I liked the noir look. However Mendes' stale direction and the so so script left a lot to be desired. All of Hoyte's work is brilliant, not surprising every big name director wants to work with him. Pro tip: go and watch Let the right one in for the holidays. Such wonderful atmospheric work by him.

let_the_right_one_in_poster.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @JeremyBondon, you are not alone. SP had excellent cinematography.
  • @JeremyBondon, you are not alone. SP had excellent cinematography.

+1

I remember melting in the cinema when I saw these two scenes in particular...

spectre2015-0934.jpg

spectre2015-2278.jpg

spectre2015-2281.jpg

spectre2015-2284.jpg

How so?

I'm sure that viewpoint depends on how intelligent you are.
    I was referring to films intelligently made. I reckon Fukunaga is doing one right now. And I never brought Bond films into the discussion. As far as I'm concerned, both CR and SF are two very smart films. So tried to be QOS, with its elemental organics.

If one thinks films like Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, Inception, ..., are not Intelligent, then I suppose that person is just trying to make a point about its hatred for Nolan films, but that person can't really be serious. What's an intelligent film, then? They have conceptual ideias and smart ways to present them. Isn't that intelligent?

I love it when people challenge another's intelectual property. One thing is for certain, Nolan's films aren't banal or mediocre. And he thrives to do cinematic events, which I can, for one, get behind of.

I was not blown away by the latest trailer. And I do believe that the man has good and not so good films. But to say his films are not intelligent or well made is not even a matter of opinion, is a matter of delusion. If one doesn't like them, well fine, I understand that, but please don't come saying they're badly made dumb films.

And again, I wouldn't want Nolan near a Bond film. But I do love most of his films.

In another note, @Pierce2Daniel, SP had fantastic moments where the cinematography was stellar. The thing is, he used the same colouring scheme throughout the film. Wouldn't the film had benefited from some clarity and colours in the Mexico scenes? And if one could have seen the snow as white in Austria? And not yellowish - btw, never eat the yellow snow ;) In Rome and the desert, the yellowish hue worked brilliantly. Just not throughout the entire film, IMO.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2019 Posts: 1,318

+1

spectre2015-0934.jpg

spectre2015-2278.jpg

spectre2015-2281.jpg

spectre2015-2284.jpg
    I was referring to films intelligently made. I reckon Fukunaga is doing one right now. And I never brought Bond films into the discussion. As far as I'm concerned, both CR and SF are two very smart films. So tried to be QOS, with its elemental organics.

If one thinks films like Memento, The Prestige, Insomnia, Inception, ..., are not Intelligent, then I suppose that person is just trying to make a point about its hatred for Nolan films, but that person can't really be serious. What's an intelligent film, then? They have conceptual ideias and smart ways to present them. Isn't that intelligent?

I love it when people challenge another's intelectual property. One thing is for certain, Nolan's films aren't banal or mediocre. And he thrives to do cinematic events, which I can, for one, get behind of.

I was not blown away by the latest trailer. And I do believe that the man has good and not so good films. But to say his films are not intelligent or well made is not even a matter of opinion, is a matter of delusion. If one doesn't like them, well fine, I understand that, but please don't come saying they're badly made dumb films.

And again, I wouldn't want Nolan near a Bond film. But I do love most of his films.

In another note, @Pierce2Daniel, SP had fantastic moments where the cinematography was stellar. The thing is, he used the same colouring scheme throughout the film. Wouldn't the film had benefited from some clarity and colours in the Mexico scenes? And if one could have seen the snow as white in Austria? And not yellowish - btw, never eat the yellow snow ;) In Rome and the desert, the yellowish hue worked brilliantly. Just not throughout the entire film, IMO.

Glad we fully agree @Thunderfinger and @Pierce2Daniel Those stills are excellent indeed, just beautiful.

@Univex I reckon it doesn't really work like that. In the end colour grading is a relative thing, within the spectrum used for the film. In a way I agree with you, but while watching Spectre I never once had the idea the snow was yellow. Enter relativity ;)

No yellow snow for me this year, sadly no snowboard vacation. Ha.

+1

spectre2015-0934.jpg

spectre2015-2278.jpg

spectre2015-2281.jpg

spectre2015-2284.jpg

Glad we fully agree @Thunderfinger and @Pierce2Daniel Those stills are excellent indeed, just beautiful.

@Univex I reckon it doesn't really work like that. In the end colour grading is a relative thing, within the spectrum used for the film. In a way I agree with you, but while watching Spectre I never once had the idea the snow was yellow. Enter relativity ;)

No yellow snow for me this year, sadly no snowboard vacation. Ha.

eheh, here's two examples

regraded-04.jpg?resize=1903%2C795

higuf49m65d11.jpg?auto=webp&s=503c71f2217c1416714b0416827da98d4754b7f1

But I must say I did enjoy the yellow tint in Rome and in the desert scenes. And in the train. It was sort of oniric in a way. Those scenes posted by @Pierce2Daniel were beautifully shot and rendered.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,400
    @Univex Personally, the two examples you have posted are pretty atrocious. Are we seriously saying that Hoyte's work in those sequences is worst than what someone has rendered above?

I will say that I understand people's comment about the Mexico and Austria scenes. Variety in locations is a key component in Bond movies. You want to feel that in the film.

But obviously, Mendes and Hoyte decided they wanted to make a darker and smoggier espionage film. Something that was more Le Carre than Fleming.....but I'd level a similar accusation at Martin Campbell and Phil Mehuex in Goldeneye.

Also, I loved the cinematography on the bridge.

spectre2015-4012.jpg

spectre2015-4041.jpg

Love that silhouette and the smoke.
    @Univex Personally, the two examples you have posted are pretty atrocious. Are we seriously saying that Hoyte's work in those sequences is worst than what someone has rendered above?

No, of course not. Cinematography is a lot more than hue. The composition on those scenes is brilliant. As it is on the whole film. As I said, and you agreed, I only complain about Mexico and Austria, and that because it didn't convey variation of tone, and it gets tiresome and frankly it cheapens the otherwise brilliant composition work by Hoyte.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I would argue against that. Bond films are certainly less pretentious, except maybe for the last two. That alone shows a certain degree of intelligence.

I was referring to films intelligently made.... .

@Univex, fair point, the first one. But I was in no way showing any hatred for Nolan or his films. I think he makes pretty good films and that he is massively overrated. That's all. His films are sold as highly intelligent blockbusters, but he usually gets away with very amateurish presentations of complex ideas. Time, dreams, psychology, you name it. Thise topics are sold as if the viewer would learn something deep from the films, and that is what I critisise.
    edited December 2019 Posts: 8,026

Obviously the "re-grading" isn't going to look good, as it's using the final film as a base and not the original raw files.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I would argue against that. Bond films are certainly less pretentious, except maybe for the last two. That alone shows a certain degree of intelligence.

I was referring to films intelligently made.... .

@Univex, fair point, the first one. But I was in no way showing any hatred for Nolan or his films. I think he makes pretty good films and that he is massively overrated. That's all. His films are sold as highly intelligent blockbusters, but he usually gets away with very amateurish presentations of complex ideas. Time, dreams, psychology, you name it. Thise topics are sold as if the viewer would learn something deep from the films, and that is what I critisise.

I don't disagree with you entirely. I do hear Hitchcock in my head saying: It's just a movie. An eventful and smart one, at that. But I'm don't presume to go to the cinema and learn something from it. I can get inspired, though. I do think that complex ideas have to be presented in distilled ways, and that might come across as amateurish, as, in fact, Nolan is - an amateur connoisseur of things. He is an interested person, not an actual scientist/psychologist/neurologist/... Kubrick would get most things right, but he was an obsessive type. But if he had to bend reality to suit the film or his ideia, I'm sure he would. In the end, it's just a movie. I'm sure Nolan knows this too.

He's probably a bit overrated. Kubrick, for example, is far superior. But, again, Nolan knows it and has said it before while listing his favourite films. Nevertheless, I am a fan of Nolan's approach to film. It's interesting that I don't really like to talk about his films with his fans. Nolan fans don't come across as the smartest cookies in the box (generally speaking, of course). I can think of one irritating sob who used to roam these boards.

In the end, the thing I usually say about his pet actor - Tom Hardy - is probably true for Nolan himself. That he is overrated, yet a very good actor.

@Univex, I think we are in agreement there.