Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm still not convinced that Nolan would be completely "wrong" for Bond, but I understand that the very idea is enough to get some pretty worked up, so I'm not going to press the issue.

As for TENET, let's first see how the movie does. I've got this got feeling that he's doing another INCEPTION type of film with this one, a hard sci-fi story that will no doubt lay out its rules in a fast way as the story goes, forcing us to return to the film later in order to understand them better. Could be a huge success, like INCEPTION, although the subject matter may be slightly less appealing to the wider audiences than dreams.

After that, Nolan will probably do something else. I've got a feeling he doesn't like to pin himself down to a series of films, which may partially explain why he did THE PRESTIGE and INCEPTION in between his DARK KNIGHT films.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that Nolan would be completely "wrong" for Bond, but I understand that the very idea is enough to get some pretty worked up, so I'm not going to press the issue.

As for TENET, let's first see how the movie does. I've got this got feeling that he's doing another INCEPTION type of film with this one, a hard sci-fi story that will no doubt lay out its rules in a fast way as the story goes, forcing us to return to the film later in order to understand them better. Could be a huge success, like INCEPTION, although the subject matter may be slightly less appealing to the wider audiences than dreams.

After that, Nolan will probably do something else. I've got a feeling he doesn't like to pin himself down to a series of films, which may partially explain why he did THE PRESTIGE and INCEPTION in between his DARK KNIGHT films.

We will find out soon enough. Have you seen the little teaser?

https://inception.davepedu.com/
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, I think Tenet is the movie that Bond 25 will be compared with most, and if it does well, or better than Bond 25, then theres a good chance Nolan is brought in to direct the next one after that. I looked at the release schedule for Summer 2020, and Tenet is positioned well for a great opening and domestic take. With String reviews I think the movie can be as successful as Inception was, or possibly more. Nolan hasn't had a bonafide classic in a while, this should be his return to the spotlight. Tenet remains my most anticipated release of the year.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Yeah, I think Tenet is the movie that Bond 25 will be compared with most, and if it does well, or better than Bond 25, then theres a good chance Nolan is brought in to direct the next one after that. I looked at the release schedule for Summer 2020, and Tenet is positioned well for a great opening and domestic take. With String reviews I think the movie can be as successful as Inception was, or possibly more. Nolan hasn't had a bonafide classic in a while, this should be his return to the spotlight. Tenet remains my most anticipated release of the year.

What makes a "bonafide classic" for you, and which of his movies are? Dunkirk was, imho, great.

And what's there to compare? the only thing that they have in common is that we don't know anything about the plots.

JamesCraig wrote: »

What makes a "bonafide classic" for you, and which of his movies are? Dunkirk was, imho, great.

And what's there to compare? the only thing that they have in common is that we don't know anything about the plots.

Indeed, but it was more of an experimental piece than his others. I would describe Inception, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as masterful and also great entertainment. Come to think of it, a bit of the Nolan Magic is exactly what Bond needs. Right now, it appears like Bond has more serious parts, and more campy, but the producers don't know how to meld them well. I think the series is in need of big changes, its like as a tenure goes on the tone becomes more stretched, and they need to go back to the drawing board. How much was a breathe of fresh air was GE after LTK, because they were able to reevaluate, and focus on the stuff which would click today. Thats kinda what we need going into the 2020's but I highly doubt that Bond 25 is that movie. My reason for saying this is that most of the people involved are the same faces which have been involved since 2012 or earlier. And they seem very comfortable with the territory they have been plundering for ideas in the last few films, and the results that has garnered. To them, I bet SP was just a bump in the road, and not a warning sign that things are awry with the current model. I believe that Bond 25 will be mixed movie, that will deliever for some diehard Craigites but also enrage some which were holding their breathe that we might see deeper changes and fresh directions. Bond 25 might well be well made, but it will by and large be riffing on the story element already in play and be more concerned with sticking the landing for Craigs last hurrah, than taking brave new stylistic strides.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bond 25 might well be well made, but it will by and large be riffing on the story element already in play and be more concerned with sticking the landing for Craigs last hurrah, than taking brave new stylistic strides.

Glad to know you already saw NTTD.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

Indeed, but it was more of an experimental piece than his others. I would describe Inception, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as masterful and also great entertainment. Come to think of it, a bit of the Nolan Magic is exactly what Bond needs. Right now, it appears like Bond has more serious parts, and more campy, but the producers don't know how to meld them well. I think the series is in need of big changes, its like as a tenure goes on the tone becomes more stretched, and they need to go back to the drawing board. How much was a breathe of fresh air was GE after LTK, because they were able to reevaluate, and focus on the stuff which would click today. Thats kinda what we need going into the 2020's but I highly doubt that Bond 25 is that movie. My reason for saying this is that most of the people involved are the same faces which have been involved since 2012 or earlier. And they seem very comfortable with the territory they have been plundering for ideas in the last few films, and the results that has garnered. To them, I bet SP was just a bump in the road, and not a warning sign that things are awry with the current model. I believe that Bond 25 will be mixed movie, that will deliever for some diehard Craigites but also enrage some which were holding their breathe that we might see deeper changes and fresh directions. Bond 25 might well be well made, but it will by and large be riffing on the story element already in play and be more concerned with sticking the landing for Craigs last hurrah, than taking brave new stylistic strides.

Don't be afraid. >:)
    I was looking for material online for Tenet, and I foud this cool video essentially defending TDKR and explaining why its a better movie than some people give it credit for. This got me thinking that Christopher Nolan never really "misses" with any of his projects. I think if there is a safe pair of hands to give Bond 26 then Nolan is the man. His films are fantastic blockbusters, but they have a great attention to detail, and most stand up to multiple viewings due to the complex nature of his storytelling. I would love to see a Bond film concieved by his mind, and the fact that he is a lifelong fan of the franchise kinda makes me upset if it doesn't happen. The fact that Universal only have a one picture deal does mean that Warner could produce 26 with Nolan at the helm. I think Tenet coukd be something of a calling card movie, considering it will be mostly spy film with a typical Nolan twist.
    I was looking for material online for Tenet, and I foud this cool video essentially defending TDKR and explaining why its a better movie than some people give it credit for. This got me thinking that Christopher Nolan never really "misses" with any of his projects. I think if there is a safe pair of hands to give Bond 26 then Nolan is the man. His films are fantastic blockbusters, but they have a great attention to detail, and most stand up to multiple viewings due to the complex nature of his storytelling. I would love to see a Bond film concieved by his mind, and the fact that he is a lifelong fan of the franchise kinda makes me upset if it doesn't happen. The fact that Universal only have a one picture deal does mean that Warner could produce 26 with Nolan at the helm. I think Tenet coukd be something of a calling card movie, considering it will be mostly spy film with a typical Nolan twist.

Weird that you have to watch YouTube videos to convince yourself of this.
    I´d say it´s alright, as long as he keeps it to this thread ;-).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2019 Posts: 15,690
    The trailer for Christopher Nolan's Tenet is confirmed to arrive online on Thursday, December 19th.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The trailer for Christopher Nolan's Tenet is confirmed to arrive online on Thursday, December 19th.

Very much looking forward to it.
  • The trailer for Christopher Nolan's Tenet is confirmed to arrive online on Thursday, December 19th.

I was just thinking about it today, this might be my most anticipated movie of 2020 behind NTTD. I'm kind of 50:50 if I want to watch the trailer though.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »

I was just thinking about it today, this might be my most anticipated movie of 2020 behind NTTD.

Same here, along with Black Widow.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited December 2019 Posts: 4,343
    NTTD, Tenet and Dune are my most anticipated blockbusters of 2020. Can't stand anymore Marvel/Disney crap.
    For me it's NTTD, Tenet, Black Widow, WW 1984 & Top Gun: Maverick.
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 6,677
    matt_u wrote: »
    NTTD, Tenet and Dune are my most anticipated blockbusters of 2020. Can't stand anymore Marvel/Disney crap.
    Yep, me too.
    matt_u wrote: »

Big +1
    V7kZpgufheUvHTgQbLSyLm-1024-80.jpg
    mgr-21451-msg2.jpg
    tenant-1.jpg
    “We’re jumping off from the point of view of an espionage film, but we’re going to a number of different places,” explains the director of the blockbusters Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, and the Christian Bale-starring Batman trilogy. “We’re crossing a few different genres in a hopefully exciting and fresh way. [Producer] Emma [Thomas] and I have put together a lot of large-scale productions, but this is certainly the biggest in terms of international reach. We shot in seven countries, all over the place, with a massive cast and huge set pieces. There’s no question, it’s the most ambitious film we’ve made.” The director also reveals that Washington is “very much the hero” of Tenet. “He’s a massively talented actor and physically gifted,” Nolan says of the BlacKkKlansman star, who is a former professional football player. “He’s an athlete and pretty hard for anybody to keep up with, including the different vehicles we shot him from — cars and helicopters. [Laughs] This guy moves.”
    https://ew.com/movies/2019/12/18/tenet-christopher-nolan-robert-pattinson-john-david-washington-first-look/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_ew&utm_content=link&utm_medium=social&utm_term=EBACC76C-219E-11EA-8773-8FA44744363C&utm_source=twitter.com&__twitter_impression=true
    https://www.gamesradar.com/tenet-christopher-nolan-picture-john-david-washington/
    Cool pictures. Just realized this guy is Denzel Washington's son. Trailer should drop within the next three hours.
  • I really like John David Washington. I've seen him in Blackkklansman and Ballers and thought he was really good in both. Can't wait to see him in a Nolan film!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Another Inception-type experience, it seems. I'm totally in, looks fantastic and a weird play on our concept of time.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    That looks incredible :-O
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Loved the trailer
    Looks like a Christopher Nolan film, which I'm sure is enough for many people. Cinematography is kind of ugly though.
    dqjyjdwehm541.jpg
    I’m not that impressed, but it’s too early. Since is a film by Nolan I’m already sold.
    Intriguing poster as well.