Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2019 Posts: 15,690
    I don't know Washington as an actor at all. What are your thoughts and where can I see his work?

Blackkklansman (2018). Very good film. He is sadly not as talented as his father.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    That's it? One film? Ok.
    I think he must be talented enough for the lead in this one, though.
    I have to assume that much.
    Well, not having as much talent as his father is a very broad spectrum in this case. I think it´s hard to tell from this one film. He had quite a lot of presence.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2019 Posts: 12,459
    But we are judging him from one film? If he has good presence that helps a whole lot, yes.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 727
    Not to mention his habit of letting big name actors tell the story instead of telling the story with his pictures.

Yeah, like Dunkirk. Where the main was a total unknown and the biggest name was in a mask for the entirety. Which was also a near wordless movie which told the tale solely through action?

Your assessment of Nolan is hilariously out of date.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2019 Posts: 15,690
    John David Washington only has 11 acting credits (including Tenet). 2 of his non-Tenet role has not been released yet. 2 of those are uncredited roles when he was a kid (Malcolm X and Devil in a Blue Dress). Another 1 is a role he played in two 11 minutes episodes of 'Seven Bucks Digital Studio'. He has one recurring role in all 5 seasons of Ballers. That leaves 4 films he's appeared in in the last 20 years. 1 of those is a very small role in ''The Old Man & The Gun''. Another one of them was a Direct-to-Video release (but it was a lead role). Making 'Monsters & Men' his only other major release film other than Blackkklansman (which did earn him a Golden Globe nomination).
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 5,767
    But we are judging him from one film? If he has good presence that helps a whole lot, yes.
    Well, there are some actors who turned out to be among the greatest talents and who showed extraordinary capabilities in their first major film already. Like Jude Law, or James McAvoy, or Michael Fassbender. Unfortunately I cannot come up with Denzel´s first major film. But based on this phenomenon, young Master Washington was "merely" very solid in his first major film. Which is to say he was far above average but not immediately sky-high. He´s not at all like those dreary kids of Will Smith ;-).
    But this is all a bit theoretical. There are lots of actors who started out decent and after some time got better and better. Best example would probably be RDJ. He was pretty mediocre before his resurrection, and look what he turned into.

Not to mention his habit of letting big name actors tell the story instead of telling the story with his pictures.

Yeah, like Dunkirk. Where the main was a total unknown and the biggest name was in a mask for the entirety. Which was also a near wordless movie which told the tale solely through action?

Your assessment of Nolan is hilariously out of date.
    Half a point taken. The second big name in that film, whom you didn´t mention, did exactly what I described. The degree to which the action appeared staged makes up for the absense of words in Dunkirk. We´ll see if Nolan´s next film will be different. The rest of my assessment is still very up to date after Dunkirk, not at all out of date.

• Dark Knight Rising is one of my favourite films folowed by Batman Begins and Dark Knight. In these movies Chris makes the Bat come to life.
    Nolan for Bond. Do you think he would make Bond 26 a reveal or a showcase...?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Nolan for Bond. Do you think he would make Bond 26 a reveal or a showcase...?

Lol, again with this nonsense?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    In the whole "Nolan for Bond" debate, people should consider the difference between Christopher and Jonathan as screenwriters. Jonathan Nolan is a very good screenwriter in my opinion. I think a Jonathan-written and Christopher-directed Bond film has a fair chance of being one of the best things we may ever see in the series.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited August 2019 Posts: 2,541
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    In the whole "Nolan for Bond" debate, people should consider the difference between Christopher and Jonathan as screenwriters. Jonathan Nolan is a very good screenwriter in my opinion. I think a Jonathan-written and Christopher-directed Bond film has a fair chance of being one of the best things we may ever see in the series.

Jonathan deserve more credit for his scripts imo
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    It would be a crime for Nolan to never direct a Bond film, having made so many allusions to Bond in his own movies. Its clearly a source of big inspiration, and I think he probably has an idea in mind for what he would do.
    It would be a crime for Nolan to never direct a Bond film, having made so many allusions to Bond in his own movies. Its clearly a source of big inspiration, and I think he probably has an idea in mind for what he would do.

You say that but the thing is...it wouldn't be.
    I am super hyped for Tenet, looks like it could be the Sci Fi event film of the summer for 2020, like Inception was for 2010. Nolan is a filmic genius, he has never made a bad movie. The Bond series could use someone like him now more than ever. And James Pattinson is a huge star in the making, he will be huge in the 2020's, Tenet is just the beginning.
    And James Pattinson is a huge star in the making, he will be huge in the 2020's, Tenet is just the beginning.

Never heard of him.
    And James Pattinson is a huge star in the making, he will be huge in the 2020's, Tenet is just the beginning.

Never heard of him.
    Apperently so hasn´t @M4L :-)).

• Probably a very unrealistic fantasy at this point but imagine a Nolan Bond film with Tom Hardy or Cillian Murphy as Bond and the other as the villain, Hans Zimmer doing the score. I know he's probably never going to commit to a whole other franchise again but I'd love to see them give him complete free reign for a one off.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Probably a very unrealistic fantasy at this point but imagine a Nolan Bond film with Tom Hardy or Cillian Murphy as Bond and the other as the villain, Hans Zimmer doing the score. I know he's probably never going to commit to a whole other franchise again but I'd love to see them give him complete free reign for a one off.

You know...

My "dream" is to have him make The Dark Knight Returns with Bale.

But who am I? 8-|
    Probably a very unrealistic fantasy at this point but imagine a Nolan Bond film with Tom Hardy or Cillian Murphy as Bond and the other as the villain, Hans Zimmer doing the score. I know he's probably never going to commit to a whole other franchise again but I'd love to see them give him complete free reign for a one off.

I just don't see why that's an appealing fantasy.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

I don't see why having Daniel Craig as Bond is an appealing reality. Horses for courses.

I don't see why having Daniel Craig as Bond is an appealing reality. Horses for courses.

But we can still watch Nolan films and see how his style is extremely flawed no matter how much hype. Which is entirely unrelated to whether you prefer Craig as Bond.

But we can still watch Nolan films and see how his style is extremely flawed no matter how much hype. Which is entirely unrelated to whether you prefer Craig as Bond.

His little mistakes are part of what makes him great imho.

JamesCraig wrote: »

What about his big mistakes?
    JamesCraig wrote: »

What about his big mistakes?

The imperfections are what I like.

Satellite dishes during WWII, not exactly punching a guy,...

But I'm biased as I'm a fan of him, so forgive me. :)
    I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan.

Don't want him near a Bond film.

Because I'm a huge Bond fan.

There, said my piece.

Cheerio.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What can Nolan tackle after Tenet? He always enters interesting domains, that tickle the imagination. A ghost film a la Nolan would be nice.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I agree. TBH, I think Jonathan is more than capable of doing both.

I still place Denis Villeneuve and Alex Garland as my top two choices to direct B26. (Of course, I would be thrilled if CJF and DC came back.)
    What can Nolan tackle after Tenet? He always enters interesting domains, that tickle the imagination. A ghost film a la Nolan would be nice.

That is such a wonderful description!
    TripAces wrote: »

I agree. TBH, I think Jonathan is more than capable of doing both.

I still place Denis Villeneuve and Alex Garland as my top two choices to direct B26. (Of course, I would be thrilled if CJF and DC came back.)

+1 on all of that.