Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The decision on whether or not Tenet gets delayed is expected in the coming week.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    The decision on whether or not Tenet gets delayed is expected in the coming week.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/christopher-nolan-tenet-movie-theaters-reopening-july-coronavirus-1234599723/

I understand why Nolan is holding his ground. He wants to play into the narrative of being the 'saviour of cinema' and being the patron saint of the theatrical experience. In many respects, he already has that reputation regardless.

But Tenet is a niche blockbuster (an oxymoron if there ever was one). It's a big high-concept film that really shouldn't (and can't) get made in the studio system with a budget as close as the one Nolan has got. It needs every cinema in the world to be open at capacity and big marketing roll-out. Neither of which it can get in July. They'd only release it as a show of support for ailing theatres and to tell audiences and other studios that the 'water is fine and they should get in.'

The perfect film to do this isn't Tenet; you need a big shiny franchise film to break the deadlock and get people interested to leave the house. I think that film is Wonder Woman 1984 (which was always 2020's best chance of a billion dollar hit). Sadly I don't think we'll get Tenet in July at this rate and nor should we...

5fcc7fe657ceb3b9045492c0e63700d921030de7.gifv

The real question is how feasible 2020 is at this point. I expect that with Boris Johnson's announcement on Sunday on the exit strategy we will get an idea of what returning to work will be like....

I'd be interested what @antovolk thinks as I know he works in this sector. Is 2020 still feasible at this point? Not just for Tenet, but anything.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Paramount is unsure that ''The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run'' can make its August 7th release.

https://www.thewrap.com/spongebob-sequel-theaters-august-delay-viacomcbs/

Wonder Woman 1984's current release date is August 12th. There is also Disney's Mulan on July 24th.

• edited May 2020 Posts: 3,164
    They'd only release it as a show of support for ailing theatres and to tell audiences and other studios that the 'water is fine and they should get in.'

The perfect film to do this isn't Tenet; you need a big shiny franchise film to break the deadlock and get people interested to leave the house. I think that film is Wonder Woman 1984 (which was always 2020's best chance of a billion dollar hit). Sadly I don't think we'll get Tenet in July at this rate and nor should we...

A show of support is exactly the idea. The fact that at the moment Tenet is that film and not WW84 is the Nolan factor at play. Plus kudos for the industry for rallying around an original non-franchise non-IP (if you don't count Nolan as an IP in his own right) big budget blockbuster. Without a film like that opening first, cinemas (big chains in particular) might as well not reopen even if governments say yes. WB for now is likely afraid of blinking first and moving without visible (government-led) reason to because of the message that sends to cinemas. And Tenet moving will have a knock-on. Mulan will go, Wonder Woman likely will and so may SpongeBob.

Will we get Tenet in July? Depends on what governments say - and Boris saying something about cinema/entertainment spaces on Sunday may prove to be a turning point. Current plans in all major markets are reopening July. The UK Cinema Association is even lobbying the government ahead of Sunday's announcement to allow them to reopen in late June.

Should we get Tenet...that's the question. There's an entire moral side of the question the industry is reluctant to discuss at the moment as it ends up being intertwined with politics and the larger economy vs health debate.
    antovolk wrote: »
    They'd only release it as a show of support for ailing theatres and to tell audiences and other studios that the 'water is fine and they should get in.'

A show of support is exactly the idea. The fact that at the moment Tenet is that film and not WW84 is the Nolan factor at play. Plus kudos for the industry for rallying around an original non-franchise non-IP (if you don't count Nolan as an IP in his own right) big budget blockbuster. Without a film like that opening first, cinemas (big chains in particular) might as well not reopen even if governments say yes. WB for now is likely afraid of blinking first and moving without visible (government-led) reason to because of the message that sends to cinemas. And Tenet moving will have a knock-on. Mulan will go, Wonder Woman likely will and so may SpongeBob.

Will we get Tenet in July? Depends on what governments say - and Boris saying something about cinema/entertainment spaces on Sunday may prove to be a turning point. Current plans in all major markets are reopening July. The UK Cinema Association is even lobbying the government ahead of Sunday's announcement to allow them to reopen in late June.

Should we get Tenet...that's the question. There's an entire moral side of the question the industry is reluctant to discuss at the moment as it ends up being intertwined with politics and the larger economy vs health debate.

It's an interesting point, but do we need films to come out in July/August before we can gage what happens with he rest of the 2020 slate?

There is a version of events where both Tenet and Mulan fail badly at the box office. That wouldn't be either film's fault as there is an appetite for both but numerous other facts would have contributed to their failures. In which case, the business incentive of releasing in 2020 (and before a vaccine can be developed) starts to dissipate.

For example, NTTD moved from April to November not because theatres had closed (the full lockdown was not in effect), but because of Asia being closed and Europe being on a similar trajectory. If the aim is to make money, then surely there is a date where 2020 will no longer be feasible.

Whatever that date is, then won't we see other films flocking out of 2020 entirely? What implications does that have on the Oscars, etc? These will certainly be a very interesting few weeks for the film business.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hope it comes out this summer. I will be there.
    antovolk wrote: »

Latest development/confirmations are that both New York City and Los Angeles county will keep stay-at-home orders until August at the earliest. The UK government has admitted yesterday that the tentative date of July 4th for the cinemas reopening may in fact be ''significantly later".

I am curious to know how this will affect cinema chains, studios and movies themselves now that the reopening date keeps being pushed further away.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Just found out that a book about the making of the film is available for pre-order on Amazon and the title is pretty interesting in regard of the sci-fi concept behind it all: The Secrets of Tenet - Inside Christopher Nolan’s QUANTUM COLD WAR.
    I don't understand how they are considering releasing the film in theaters in July and expecting it to succeed financially. Even if the theaters in the United States were open by then (which they won't be), and they held more showings, with less people, over a longer period of time (taking into account theaters couldn't function at full capacity), what about the rest of the world? More than half of the grosses of the last three Nolan films came from other countries, and many of these places are in no condition to allow theaters to open (not that the US is, either!).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Even if it does release on its scheduled date, the theaters will be handicapped in their seating capacity, like you said @mattjoes, so it's bound to fare worse than it would've pre-coronavirus days.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Even if it does release on its scheduled date, the theaters will be handicapped in their seating capacity, like you said @mattjoes, so it's bound to fare worse than it would've pre-coronavirus days.
    Yes. To make up for the seating capacity situation, the film's theatrical run would have to be much longer than usual. I don't know how feasible that would be. And even with precautions, not everyone would feel comfortable going to the theater in the present circumstances, and without a vaccine.

I don't have any particular interest in watching this in the theater, but if it comes out in July, I doubt very much there will be any theaters open in my country to screen it, and I'm sure there are many other countries in the same situation.
    I'm sure it's worthy of a visit to the cinemas but I won't be going back anytime soon. If it meets its date and releases online in a matter of months, I'd much rather watch it from home.
    Woah.....Tenet is coming. Two new TV spots aired last night in anticipation of its July release:

I'll be very intrigued to see how this gets released...if it does. From my understanding the virus is dying out and it's going to be slow process in bringing down the curve. But we are now 2 months into isolation, with at least 2 more months in the UK to go. I suspect we will all be more positive in the weeks to come.

The teasers look great. Exactly what one would hope from Nolan getting back into the 'action blockbuster' phase. The bullet line from Clemence Posey is great. She has a great chic Parisan vibe....a very handsome woman.

Clemence+Poesy+k8lrYUUbITtm.jpg

So will Tenet open in July?? Will it come in August as some anticipate? Or is this all false hope? Is anyone else mispronouncing it as 'Tenant?' SO MANY QUESTIONS
    Who knows. As for now, today a new trailer will come out.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think Nolan needs to put a rest to his pretentious "cinema savior" act and let this come out at a better time. I'll be surprised if it does well.
    @Pierce2Daniel You fail to mention the most important: The TV spot says 'Coming To Theaters', no mention of a July 17th release.

Everything indicates the trailer will also announce the new release date.
    Woah.....Tenet is coming. Two new TV spots aired last night in anticipation of its July release:

This is the sort of statement that makes it nearly impossible to believe anything you say.

The 2 TV spots you posted directly below that quote do not mention a July release.

Capture-d-e-cran-2020-05-21-a-11-54-08.png

If Tenet wasn't delayed, it would be written 'July 17th' in my screenshot.
    Lol...
    @DaltonCraig007 I don't think they will announce the new release date. The trailer will have the same thing. that way they can announce a delay at a later time.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I think Nolan needs to put a rest to his pretentious "cinema savior" act and let this come out at a better time. I'll be surprised if it does well.

My opinion of Nolan has dropped considerably in the last couple of months for this very reason and why my anticipation for Tenet is currently not very high.
    I see, thanks for the correction @antovolk. Where do you think it might move? And would it affect Wonder Woman 1984 if Tenet is only delayed by a few weeks to August?
    I really hope I can see this one in theaters. I don't really care for theatrical outings these days but this one seems like it demands being experienced on a big screen.
    Christopher Nolan is a hardcore Tory. It makes sense why he has no regard for the lives of people. Just money, money, money!
  • edited May 2020 Posts: 4,400
    Christopher Nolan is a hardcore Tory. It makes sense why he has no regard for the lives of people. Just money, money, money!

What makes you say that?

I know there were some think-pieces after Dark Knight Rises came out that Nolan was essentially romanticising the idea of a capitalist billionaire coming to stop a revolutionary intent on usurping the rich and installing the 1% into power. Bane as a character could be seen as an attack on liberalism.

That's certainly a 'read' on Dark Knight Rises....but the actual politics of Bane and his intent on riding a populist wave to crush the elites and restore true power to the people (draining the swamp if you will) has a ring of more conservative talking points over recent years. Plus, a certain politician even quoted Bane in his inauguration speech in 2017. Bane even adopts a severe form of fascism to protect his police state.

So if you're basing your assessment of Nolan being a Tory on the above...I'd say it's a much harder balancing act than that.

However, I know Nolan made Dunkirk, which is a film about 'plucky English derring-do' and it came out post-Brexit. That film didn't sit well with me during the time as a result...but i'd be the first the confess it's in a desperate need of a re-watch i haven't seen it since 2017.

I don't think Nolan is thinking about the $$$$$ with releasing Tenet in July. He wants to protect theatres. If anything, he's cutting his nose off to spite his face here. He's taking a loss for the industry. He's, basically, Batman.

MedicalRequiredHawaiianmonkseal-small.gif

(kidding...but you get my point)

I don't think Nolan is thinking about the $$$$$ with releasing Tenet in July. He wants to protect theatres. If anything, he's cutting his nose off to spite his face here. He's taking a loss for the industry. He's, basically, Batman.

I'd actually rather believe that he's in it for the money than what you're saying here; because if what you are saying is true then Nolan is in dire need of a doctor and a powerlifter to remove him from up his own arse. Outside of Batman, Nolan's films have done reasonable but unspectacular numbers at the box-office.

What makes you say that?

I know there were some think-pieces after Dark Knight Rises came out that Nolan was essentially romanticising the idea of a capitalist billionaire coming to stop a revolutionary intent on usurping the rich and installing the 1% into power. Bane as a character could be seen as an attack on liberalism.

That's certainly a 'read' on Dark Knight Rises....but the actual politics of Bane and his intent on riding a populist wave to crush the elites and restore true power to the people (draining the swamp if you will) has a ring of more conservative talking points over recent years. Plus, a certain politician even quoted Bane in his inauguration speech in 2017. Bane even adopts a severe form of fascism to protect his police state.

So if you're basing your assessment of Nolan being a Tory on the above...I'd say it's a much harder balancing act than that.

However, I know Nolan made Dunkirk, which is a film about 'plucky English derring-do' and it came out post-Brexit. That film didn't sit well with me during the time as a result...but i'd be the first the confess it's in a desperate need of a re-watch i haven't seen it since 2017.

That is...a terrific post.

Devil's advocate argument might be: the argument of a delayed release later for guaranteed money could also be faulty. This could be Nolan's bet that cinemas are, in fact, not going to survive this and he thinks the chance to make any theatrical back-end exists now, right now, and everything down the line is lost because it will all be on streaming which will void (?) his arrangements. Same would go for other films, including NTTD. F9. The Batman. Basically everything will just end up streaming somewhere because the world will never regain confidence in cinema safety, at least not for 2-3 years.

I'm not quite personally that cynical, though. I think your evaluation of him is much closer to the truth.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited May 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think it's because he wants the film to be as close to 10 years from Inception as possible?

That was released 8 July 2010.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    After reading this, it sounds like he’s in it for the money.

https://observer.com/2020/05/tenet-box-office-christopher-nolan-salary-info-details/
    Perhaps Tenet isn’t actually very good, so if the distributor releases it in July with most of the world’s cinemas still shut then they can (a) make a bit of dosh because there’s no competition from actually good films, and (b) blame the virus when it doesn’t make any money
    After reading this, it sounds like he’s in it for the money.

https://observer.com/2020/05/tenet-box-office-christopher-nolan-salary-info-details/

This sounds more like it, alright.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The new trailer drops 8pm ET