Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• edited June 2020 Posts: 3,564
    Oh, the heck with this virus. I have a protest to attend. Or maybe a rally. See you all at the 2nd Spike...

PS: Or hey, maybe I just want to see a movie, okay? After all, there's safety in numbers...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Thankfully, most of us still have our immune systems.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    A virus doesn't care if we feel shut in after months and want to get out. A virus just wants to replicate.

Science, people!

I echo what @echo said. (See what I did there?)

The risks are high. We're feeling way too comfortable, but the virus is still among us. No vaccines yet. That's like saying, "oh well, it's been a while since the last terrorist attack; we're safe."

If you can track where it is you can keep it under control.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    A virus doesn't care if we feel shut in after months and want to get out. A virus just wants to replicate.

Science, people!

The risks are high. We're feeling way too comfortable, but the virus is still among us. No vaccines yet. That's like saying, "oh well, it's been a while since the last terrorist attack; we're safe."

It's pretty much everywhere. Whataya gonna do about THAT?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Science, people!

Maybe. That's never guaranteed. In the absence of a vaccine, it's really difficult to keep the virus under control. Tracking the infected and the people they came in contact with and the people they came in contact with, is not a flawless system. Look, I really hope you're right, but I wouldn't bet on the infallibility of our tracking systems. One superspreader with a busy schedule may be enough to get the ball rolling again in under a week. He may not even experience any serious symptoms himself and as such, the system wouldn't have any reason at all to track him and his contacts. Some countries have been seeing the bad numbers go down, steadily but encouragingly, for some weeks now. Yet one unfortunate case of an infected sneakingly slipping through our hands could cause a whole new wave. My only optimistic take on it is that we're probably better prepared now, and hopefully, people would take a new rise in the numbers more seriously, faster. But in the end, we're a fickle bunch and I'm seeing folks break the rules of common pandemic sense everywhere. A little sun and the lure of BBQs and drinking parties seem enough to somehow forget that social distancing is still mandatory. People care more about a few hours of simple, alcoholic fun than about their safety or the safety of others and quite frankly, that makes me really angry.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Based on the postings by @BonSimonLeBon_1, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and @DarthDimi, folks may find this story of interest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/nyregion/nyc-contact-tracing.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The key take-away:

“The city has hired 3,000 disease detectives and case monitors, who are supposed to identify anyone who has come into contact with the hundreds of people who are still testing positive for the virus in the city every day. But the first statistics from the program, which began on June 1, indicate that tracers are often unable to locate infected people or gather information from them.”

“Only 35 percent of the 5,347 city residents who tested positive or were presumed positive for Covid-19 in the program’s first two weeks gave information about close contacts to tracers, the city said in releasing the first statistics.”
    Among the reasons cite for the poor results to date are widespread reluctance among people to share personal information and the low-tech methods being employed to conduct the follow-ups.

Remember that starting tomorrow (June 22nd), we (New York City) move into phase 2 of our re-opening, so I hope that this improves.

Personal note: Earlier today I had posted a link to an article concerning something said last night (June 20th) about the US not wanting to over test. However, after thinking about if for a bit, I decided that it was too political and *removed* it. Interested readers probably already know what I’m referring to as it was a significant news story.

As I’ve stated, here in the US, the next few weeks are going to be very interesting.
    Meanwhile, the U.S president is having fun coming up with names for the virus, like "Kung Flu". What an utter mod edit.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if there were also people trying to "eradicate", say, cancer by keeping doctors from diagnosing it.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Based on the postings by @BonSimonLeBon_1, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs and @DarthDimi, folks may find this story of interest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/nyregion/nyc-contact-tracing.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The key take-away:

“The city has hired 3,000 disease detectives and case monitors, who are supposed to identify anyone who has come into contact with the hundreds of people who are still testing positive for the virus in the city every day. But the first statistics from the program, which began on June 1, indicate that tracers are often unable to locate infected people or gather information from them.”

“Only 35 percent of the 5,347 city residents who tested positive or were presumed positive for Covid-19 in the program’s first two weeks gave information about close contacts to tracers, the city said in releasing the first statistics.”
    Among the reasons cite for the poor results to date are widespread reluctance among people to share personal information and the low-tech methods being employed to conduct the follow-ups.

Remember that starting tomorrow (June 22nd), we (New York City) move into phase 2 of our re-opening, so I hope that this improves.

Personal note: Earlier today I had posted a link to an article concerning something said last night (June 20th) about the US not wanting to over test. However, after thinking about if for a bit, I decided that it was too political and *removed* it. Interested readers probably already know what I’m referring to as it was a significant news story.

As I’ve stated, here in the US, the next few weeks are going to be very interesting.

I've been commenting (in a sideways fashion) on the whole "political" issue for awhile now... but this time I'm coming straight-on. Political comments are absolutely NECESSARY in this topic thread and should be encouraged, rather than discouraged, as far as I'm concerned. Trump has made this topic a political rather than a medical one, and he's losing support rapidly because of the foolish position he's taken re: COVID-19. Own it, Donnie. And all you (dwindling but still out there) Trump supporters: you should own it, too. Instead, you're insisting on re-opening businesses etc. way too early, and the Second Wave of Corona virus cases is just a few weeks down the road thanks in large part to your childish Resident (I refuse to call him the President.)
    No sane person can disagree with you, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

+1
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2020 Posts: 15,690
    South Korea confirms they are now in the second wave of the Covid-19 outbreak; this has started much earlier than they predicted: South Korea expected a potential second wave in fall or winter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53135626

----

Israel ponders about a second country-wide lockdown amidst a sharp rise in new cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/22/coronavirus-global-report-new-covid-19-cases-surge-south-korea-israel

----

Australia records a sharp increase in new cases, forcing schools closure in certain areas.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australia-coronavirus-state-by-state-wrap-tuesday-june-23/04296091-1d21-4aab-be34-fb722b2047eb

----

Hong Kong records highest increase in new cases since April.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/22/c_139158607.htm

----

Cases in USA are still increasing in 23 states as Florida becomes the 7th state with over 100,000 confirmed cases.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Germany reimposes local lockdown amidst a major coronavirus outbreak in North Rhine-Westphalia. Germany is at risk of having a second wave of coronavirus infections, the country's leading health official has warned, adding that he believes it can be prevented.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53149762
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @DaltonCraig007. My, you are the bearer of cheerful news today 😊!

Since I don’t really follow tennis, I wasn’t aware of some of his earlier statements on the subject:

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/29351887/novak-djokovic-tested-positive-coronavirus

Cinemas can open in England from 4th July!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Cinemas can open in England from 4th July!
    I honestly think it’s a mistake to do so; it seems a very haste decision on the governments part.
    An interesting article with a parallel with Jaws :

https://www.cbr.com/jaws-politics-of-amity-resonate-more-today/

Can't say it's wrong.
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 2,436
    Gerard wrote: »
    An interesting article with a parallel with Jaws :

https://www.cbr.com/jaws-politics-of-amity-resonate-more-today/

Can't say it's wrong.

The parallels aren't lost on me. It's a tricky balancing act for sure - the new 1m plus rule in England will save some businesses in the hospitality sector from going under - putting myself in their shoes I can see the positives. Of course there is risk and if it proves to increase the spread of the virus it will be rolled back immediately. We have to try to live with it as much we can because it isn't going away. This is where the parallel with Jaws breaks down a bit - this isn't just for the duration of a 4th July celebration, businesses need protecting, lives need protecting.

Oh and again MI6 a bit pathetic ain't it blocking me on Twitter back in March for speculating that NTTD might still make it's April release? Jeez!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

+ me too.
    Australia has recorded its first death from coronavirus in over a month as the latest outbreak continues to grow.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/24/victoria-announces-australias-first-coronavirus-death-in-a-month-as-toll-rises-to-103

----

Cases in the USA are now surging in 26 states:

California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, Arkansas, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Delaware, Oregon, Idaho, West Virginia, Wyoming, Hawaii, Montana.

----

The death-toll from Covid-19 in Latin America has reached 100,000.

----

The wold-wide death-toll is expected to reach half a million (500,000) by the end of this week.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Based on what I've read online - and you got be open minded about what how accurate things are online - season flu kills around 50 - 60,000 people per year. Coronavirus has killed just over 6,000 people. It's doubtful to exceed the flu's mortality rate. The rise is not fast enough? Looks that way. But seeing as there isn't a worldwide lockdown on seasonal flu, the reaction to coronavirus feels like hysteria fueled by fake news internet reporting.

Hopefully @fanbond123 will see this. Coronavirus has killed 500,000 in about 7 months, while the season flu kills 50,000-60,000 a year.

I'm fine to say I will apologise for this post if it turns to be ignorant optimism or foolish downplaying of the virus. The actual death rate in the UK is astonishingly small (less than 200 people have died of coronavirus out of population of 66 million) and yes, perhaps that's a naive way to look at coronavirus but I'm going on the current stats, not what will happen in two weeks time, or a month or several months. If the death toll is still low in two weeks - four weeks I hope people on this thread will have the good grace to admit they were wrong in scare mongering. If I am wrong and the stats are way higher, approaching the 700 - 1000 mark I'll apologise.

The UK currently stands at just under 43,000 deaths. 43 thousands. And @fanbond123 was ready to apologize if it reached 1,000.
    Sorry for the double post, but this is something that is very important to see why a return to 'normality' may be wishful thinking for the next few years:
    Cases in the USA are now surging in 26 states:

California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Washington, Mississippi, Missouri, Utah, Arkansas, Nevada, Kansas, Oklahoma, Delaware, Oregon, Idaho, West Virginia, Wyoming, Hawaii, Montana.
    ng and the stats are way higher, approaching the 700 - 1000 mark I'll apologise.

Donald Trump confirms he wants coronavirus tests to be slowed down.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-testing-slow-down-press-conference-today-arizona-a9581306.html

I think it will soon be time to say goodbye to seeing Tenet, NTTD, Wonder Woman, Mulan, Top Gun, Dune, Black Widow, Kings's Man, Quiet Place 2, etc in 2020. With how the US are handling the coronavirus outbreak, it may even be hard for NTTD to open before Summer/late 2021. South Korea has already confirmed the second wave has started for them, while the USA are simply giving up trying to stop/contain their first wave.

At this point, will a vaccine ever happen? We have several world leaders who are calling the virus a hoax, or fake news. They refuse to do tests, or to wear masks, they want to reopen business as soon as possible. They are trying so hard to deny the existence of a pandemic that I'm willing to predict that a vaccine will not happen (or at best will be extremely limited in its availability) as otherwise it would counter their claim that there is no ongoing pandemic.
    Some big companies are continuing to work on a vaccine, but it'll take at least another year, probably, before the lot of us can get to it.
    I really hope so @DarthDimi so we can put this awful 2020 year behind us.
    I really hope so @DarthDimi so we can put this awful 2020 year behind us.

I hope so too, mate.

You know, my maternal grandma made an interesting point yesterday. She said, "At least it's not WWII. I suffered through that, for nearly five full years!" I guess she's right.
    Based on what I've read online - and you got be open minded about what how accurate things are online - season flu kills around 50 - 60,000 people per year. Coronavirus has killed just over 6,000 people. It's doubtful to exceed the flu's mortality rate. The rise is not fast enough? Looks that way. But seeing as there isn't a worldwide lockdown on seasonal flu, the reaction to coronavirus feels like hysteria fueled by fake news internet reporting.

Hopefully @fanbond123 will see this. Coronavirus has killed 500,000 in about 7 months, while the season flu kills 50,000-60,000 a year.

I'm fine to say I will apologise for this post if it turns to be ignorant optimism or foolish downplaying of the virus. The actual death rate in the UK is astonishingly small (less than 200 people have died of coronavirus out of population of 66 million) and yes, perhaps that's a naive way to look at coronavirus but I'm going on the current stats, not what will happen in two weeks time, or a month or several months. If the death toll is still low in two weeks - four weeks I hope people on this thread will have the good grace to admit they were wrong in scare mongering. If I am wrong and the stats are way higher, approaching the 700 - 1000 mark I'll apologise.

The UK currently stands at just under 43,000 deaths. 43 thousands. And @fanbond123 was ready to apologize if it reached 1,000.

Obviously he was badly mistaken. If he feels the need to apologize, he'll come back here. I don't know why you need to dig up his posts from months ago -- long before most people had any inkling of how serious this was going to get -- and throw them in his face.

It's not a good look to be smugly fishing for apologies on this particular topic, that's for sure.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Obviously he was badly mistaken. If he feels the need to apologize, he'll come back here. I don't know why you need to dig up his posts from months ago -- long before most people had any inkling of how serious this was going to get -- and throw them in his face.

It's not a good look to be smugly fishing for apologies on this particular topic, that's for sure.

1. I am not looking for apologies.
    2. There is a major difference between ''not having any inkling of how serious it is going to get'' and calling the pandemic a hoax and fake news (you can find several posts where he went off the rails with such claims).

But I guess that the same thing your President claims, so for you it is normal to defend such behaviour.

And by the way, feel free to look at the first 10/20 pages of this discussion, to find @fanbond123 was one of only two members who wasn't taking the situation seriously. So I don't know why you seem offended by my post. I imagine it is shocking that people outside the US are more informed about world news when not being bombarded by Fox News.

What isn't a good look is putting words in other people's mouth (like you just did) and trying to defend someone who claimed all of this pandemic was fake news. So he was not badly mistaken, he was an outright liar. But feel free to defend him.
    What isn't a good look is putting words in other people's mouth (like you just did) and trying to defend someone who claimed all of this pandemic was fake news. So he was not badly mistaken, he was an outright liar. But feel free to defend him.

If he was claiming that the whole thing was fake news well after the data started to prove otherwise then, fine, he's full of it. Particularly if he comes back here and starts to post the same crap.

What I don't understand is why you're so intent on starting another argument with him. But go right ahead, the mods can step in when it gets out of hand.
    I think all of us underestimated the pandemic; I did too--even if I always took it pretty seriously, I never could've predicted it would reach this magnitude. Only the eternal 'doomsday prophets' didn't underestimate the pandemic, but that's a "by default" for them. ;-) I'm sure @DaltonCraig007 isn't looking for apologies. But it's not necessarily a bad thing to confront people, to confront us all in fact, with the dangers of mocking something that's pretty serious. Pretending it's nothing to worry about may inspire nonchalance, and said nonchalance may have been responsible for the death of many. So while there's no point in reprimanding people after the fact, I do support an honest reminder that many of us were wrong and that it was dangerous to be wrong. Why? Because hopefully, we won't make that same mistake again, because we know it claims lives. Yet, what do we see when we look around us?: A lot of people not taking this seriously in any way, still supporting cheap demagogy over common sense and scientific conclusions. It's not in poor taste to drop a "remember when you said it wouldn't be bad?" comment. Not in this matter.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What I don't understand is why you're so intent on starting another argument with him. But go right ahead, the mods can step in when it gets out of hand.
    I would say it's to see if he's learned anything- if he's realized the error of his artificially manufactured point of view... If he's grown from this that's all that matters.

If he was claiming that the whole thing was fake news well after the data started to prove otherwise then, fine, he's full of it. Particularly if he comes back here and starts to post the same crap.

It's pretty easy to determine when the posts in question were placed. This thread was started on March 11th, @fanbond123's first post was on March 16th. The reality of this pandemic was beginning to be quite obvious by then. I'd say that tossing around the phrase "fake news" on this topic -- as SOME people are STILL DOING -- is quite irresponsible and deserves far more censure from sensible people than the deniers are getting in most places, including this forum. I don't expect to see any apologies. Of course, I don't expect to see many people defending fb123 either. Shows ya how much I know...