Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    The USA has once again recorded their worst day of the pandemic. On June 25th, the US recorded 40,212 new infections, marking the first time they were above 40,000 new cases. Yesterday (June 26th), the USA recorded 47,341 new cases.

World-wide, yesterday was the worst day yet, with 194,190. new cases. Of those, 94,248 were recorded in only 2 countries: USA and Brazil.

5 days later, the USA have once again recorded their worst day of the pandemic. Yesterday (July 1st), the USA recorded 52,982 new infections. They are now the second country to reach over 50,000 new cases in a single day; Brazil recorded 55,209 new cases on June 19th.

Worldwide, yesterday saw 196,901 new infections. Of those, 97,866 came from the USA and Brazil.

1 day later, the USA have beaten their own record: 57,236 new cases recorded in a single day. This is not only their worst day of the pandemic, but it is also the worst day any country has ever recorded during the pandemic (before yesterday, the single biggest day rise was 54,800 new cases in Brazil on June 19th).

Globally, today marks the first day above 200,000 new infections (208,864 exactly). Of those, 104,364 came from the USA and Brazil.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We are second to none.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let's build a wall!
    To keep the infected in...
    Passing on a message from our fellow member, @MajorDSmythe:

In the UK, the Co-Op are handing out candles across the nation, light one up on July 4th to remember friends, family and others that have passed away during the pandemic.

I would like to remind people that the Major lost both his parents to a coronavirus infection while helping other patients.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    We'll be sure to make our corner of Canada shine brightly in remembrance of those lost, and by the sacrifices made by families like that of @MajorDSmythe. So sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully there are many members here you feel you can reach out to if you need anything, myself included.
    @NickTwentyTwo
    Many thanks for your kind words. The Major prefers not to visit this thread, as some comments do not exactly ease the pain. I'm sure he would appreciate it to receive your message via PM, though.

Losing a parent is never easy; losing both practically simultaneously is terrible. And given the cause...

Let's just say that when some folks here pretend that the virus is a hoax, that we should just go on living pretending nothing's going on, I always have to think about the Major's losses, and it always--ALWAYS! makes me livid.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @NickTwentyTwo
    Many thanks for your kind words. The Major prefers not to visit this thread, as some comments do not exactly ease the pain. I'm sure he would appreciate it to receive your message via PM, though.

Losing a parent is never easy; losing both practically simultaneously is terrible. And given the cause...

Let's just say that when some folks here pretend that the virus is a hoax, that we should just go on living pretending nothing's going on, I always have to think about the Major's losses, and it always--ALWAYS! makes me livid.

Completely fair! I'll send him a note. Thanks @DarthDimi
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We are second to none.

America first.

As one article on CNN read: 'the world doesn't laugh at us, it pities us'.

And so it is.

I'm very sorry to hear about the @MajorDSmythe 's loss. It brings the severity home once more.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    We are second to none.

America first.

Just a few weeks ago, CNN encouraged people to go out and protest.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    We are second to none.

America first.

Oh in no way am I supporting any American news outlet in their way of communication, I was just trying to get a sentiment across.
    I'm very sorry to hear about the @MajorDSmythe 's loss. It brings the severity home once more.

Thanks, Commander. Yes, it does, doesn't it? It was a shock to us all.
    We are second to none.

America first.

That's a GOOD thing. I mean, isn't it?

The George Floyd murder was appalling, and the protestors had every right to peacefully assemble and petition for grievances. (The morons who showed up to smash and grab and destroy their communities are another story.)

It's enormously tricky being a politician in the middle of a pandemic who has to balance constitutional rights and health concerns. Recently a federal judge stepped in to block the 25% capacity rule in New York State on religious gatherings:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-blocks-25-capacity-rule-religious-services-ny-71480425
    edited July 2020 Posts: 17,691
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    the protestors had every right to peacefully assemble and petition for grievances. (The morons who showed up to smash and grab and destroy their communities are another story.)
    Those morons were egged on by agitator white dorks (and in some cases actual police officers) who began the window smashing & fires.
    Just sayin'.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    We are second to none.

America first.

Of course it is, but then it's hypocritical to complain about a virus surge.

Those morons were egged on by agitator white dorks (and in some cases actual police officers) who began the window smashing & fires.
    Just sayin'.

Fine. They're all morons.
  • Happy 4th of July to those of us who celebrate it! Here's a song for the day... originally recorded back in the '70s, Paul Simon put this new version on the internet a few months back: "American Tune For 'Til Further Notice 3/19/20"
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks @BeatlesSansEarmuffs.

…. We come on the ship they call the Mayflower
    We come on the ship that sailed the moon
    We come in the age's most uncertain hour
    and sing an American tune
    But it's all right, it's all right
    You can't be forever blessed
    Still, tomorrow's going to be another working day
    And I'm trying to get some rest
    That's all I'm trying to get some rest....
    Thinking about the people we lost to the virus, in our own community, and everywhere.

82599656_275103403739338_3294401269255624257_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=hcphDQ344boAX9LzqWY&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh2-1.fna&oh=f700cf2552ea33439d6c043691769dad&oe=5F270C42
  • Can't say I'm surprised... the President of Brazil has just been announced to have been infected with COVID-19. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jair-bolsonaro-positive-coronavirus_n_5f03af46c5b6e97b56890c81 Who's next?
    Who's next?

One can only hope that Duterte, Putin, Erdoğan, Orbán, Xi Jinping, and the rest of the international rogues gallery will catch a fatal dose. Perhaps the virus could also make a pit stop in Washington DC...

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Who's next?

One can only hope that Duterte, Putin, Erdoğan, Orbán, Xi Jinping, and the rest of the international rogues gallery will catch a fatal dose. Perhaps the virus could also make a pit stop in Washington DC...

I guess in spite of my disgust about each and every one of the persons you mentioned I keep being shy of actively wishing them dead (and possibly the most obvious of them all is conspicuously absent in your list).

At least those among them who qualify as dictators are fair game, actually. But I would still rather see them dethroned/impeached, locked up, tried and thrown into jail or, more fittingly for at least a number of them, into an insane asylum than rooting for their death.

That being said, I won't shed a tear if natural causes and/or biology take their toll. And I will not fake any sympathy or grief if it happens, but happily welcome the vague chance that someone more worthy, more democratic, and less corrupt may be their successor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Can't say I'm surprised... the President of Brazil has just been announced to have been infected with COVID-19. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jair-bolsonaro-positive-coronavirus_n_5f03af46c5b6e97b56890c81 Who's next?

I wonder if he's still dismissive over how serious the virus can be and the toll it can take.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised... the President of Brazil has just been announced to have been infected with COVID-19. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jair-bolsonaro-positive-coronavirus_n_5f03af46c5b6e97b56890c81 Who's next?

I wonder if he's still dismissive over how serious the virus can be and the toll it can take.

Oh, it's just like a flu. It will go away by itself. We're doing great.

Oops...am I quoting the wrong person?
  • edited July 2020 Posts: 2,896
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I guess in spite of my disgust about each and every one of the persons you mentioned I keep being shy of actively wishing them dead (and possibly the most obvious of them all is conspicuously absent in your list).

He's there--I just wanted to be subtle by using a metonym at the end. Your attitude is more humane than mine. I think all of the world leaders mentioned above hold undeserved and harmful power and wealth, and if they happen to croak from a terrible disease it would be just desserts. But they almost certainly won't, because their ill-gotten wealth will buy them the best possible medical care.

Anyway, back to the virus and the usual depressing news...

Not so depressing, after all, or some. I'll receive a bonus at the end of july or august for having been at work during lockdown at the postal sorting center. Oh, not much, 300 €, but it will help. I know it's just a drop in that ocean of bad news, but still, it's nice. ish.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Sir Paul has this covered!
    "……
    Despite repeated warnings
    From those who are to know
    Well, he's got his own agenda
    And so we'll go

We shout the loudest
    We'll not always be the smartest
    But they have their promised moments
    Right before they fall
    Red sky in the morning
    Doesn't ever seem to face him
    But a sailor's warning signal
    Should concern his soul
    ……."
    Sir Paul always knows best. Very nice quote there ;)
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Sir Paul has this covered!