Coronavirus Discussion

Comments

• Thanks for the link, @Revelator!
    Glad you liked it! The entire album is on YouTube (legally) and pretty good.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2020 Posts: 15,690
    As of yesterday, the US daily death-toll is now back to nearly 1,000 a day. With over 55,000 daily infections, it is likely to get worse again, due to the 14-days lag between infection and death. The last time the US were recording over 2,000 deaths per day, they 'only' had an average of 34,000 daily infections. Now they are averaging over 50,000 new cases a day.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The USA becomes the first country to record over 60,000 new cases in a single day (on July 7th).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    What I found fascinating is that Trump, asked about him not wearing a mask, says 'presidents, royalty, dictators, world leaders' ( I may have the order mixed-up)'Idon't see them wearing masks' (or something of that notion). But he definately thinks dictators belong in that list. Now I don't know, but shouldn't a leader of a free country never but leaders of free countries on the same footing as dictators?
    1st death from coronavirus: January 9th.
    100 deaths reached on January 27th (18 days later).
    500 deaths reached on February 5th (9 days later).
    1,000 deaths reached on February 10th (5 days later).
    5,000 deaths reached on March 13th (32 days later).
    10,000 deaths reached on March 19th (6 days later).
    15,000 deaths reached on March 23rd (4 days later).
    20,000 deaths reached on March 25th (2 days later).
    25,000 deaths reached on March 27th (2 days later).
    30,000 deaths reached on March 28th (1 day later).
    35,000 deaths reached on March 30th (2 days later).
    40,000 deaths reached on March 31st (1 day later).
    45,000 deaths reached on April 1st (1 day later).
    50,000 deaths reached on April 2nd (1 day later).
    60,000 deaths reached on April 4th (2 days later).
    70,000 deaths reached on April 6th (2 days later).
    80,000 deaths reached on April 7th (1 day later).
    90,000 deaths reached on April 9th (2 days later).
    100,000 deaths reached on April 10th (1 day later).
    110,000 deaths reached on April 12th (2 days later).
    120,000 deaths reached on April 14th (2 days later).
    130,000 deaths reached on April 15th (1 day later).
    140,000 deaths reached on April 16th (1 day later).
    150,000 deaths reached on April 17th (1 day later).
    160,000 deaths reached on April 18th (1 day later).
    170,000 deaths reached on April 20th (2 days later).
    180,000 deaths reached on April 21st (1 day later).
    190,000 deaths reached on April 23rd (2 days later).
    200,000 deaths reached on April 24th (1 day later).
    210,000 deaths reached on April 26th (2 days later).
    220,000 deaths reached on April 28th (2 days later).
    230,000 deaths reached on April 30th (2 days later).
    240,000 deaths reached on May 2nd (2 days later).
    250,000 deaths reached on May 4th (2 days later).
    260,000 deaths reached on May 6th (2 days later).
    270,000 deaths reached on May 7th (1 day later).
    280,000 deaths reached on May 9th (2 days later).
    290,000 deaths reached on May 13th (3 days later).
    300,000 deaths reached on May 14th (1 day later).
    310,000 deaths reached on May 16th (2 days later).
    320,000 deaths reached on May 19th (3 days later).
    330,000 deaths reached on May 21st (2 days later).
    340,000 deaths reached on May 23rd (2 days later).
    350,000 deaths reached on May 26th (3 days later).
    360,000 deaths reached on May 28th (2 days later).
    370,000 deaths reached on May 30th (2 days later).
    380,000 deaths reached on June 2nd (3 days later).
    390,000 deaths reached on June 4th (2 days later).
    400,000 deaths reached on June 6th (2 days later).
    410,000 deaths reached on June 9th (3 days later).
    420,000 deaths reached on June 11th (2 days later).
    430,000 deaths reached on June 13th (2 days later).
    440,000 deaths reached on June 16th (3 days later).
    450,000 deaths reached on June 17th (1 day later).
    460,000 deaths reached on June 19th (2 days later).
    470,000 deaths reached on June 21st (2 days later).
    480,000 deaths reached on June 23rd (2 days later).
    490,000 deaths reached on June 25th (2 days later).
    500,000 deaths reached on June 27th (2 days later).
    510,000 deaths reached on June 30th (3 days later).
    520,000 deaths reached on July 2nd (2 days later).
    530,000 deaths reached on July 4th (2 days later).
    540,000 deaths reached on July 6th (2 days later).
    550,000 deaths reached on July 8th (2 days later).
    We knew it would happen :

https://actu.orange.fr/societe/sante/covid-19-flambee-de-cas-a-tulsa-apres-le-meeting-de-donald-trump-CNT000001rtkzU.html

In short, since the meeting, 200 new cases per day in Tulsa.
    The USA have (once again) beaten their own record within 24 hours: 61,848 new cases on July 8th. After being the first to record over 60,000 daily infections, they have now done so for 2 consecutive days. And for the second consecutive day, the daily death-toll in the US has been just under 1,000, a sharp rise from the 200 to 300 daily deaths of the past week.

For comparisons sake: The first country to record over 50,000 new cases was Brazil on June 19th (55,209). Since then, they have never been over 50,000 again. The USA first reached 50,000 new cases on July 1st. Since then, they have recorded over 50,000 new cases on July 2nd, July 3rd and July 6th, before reaching 60,000 on July 7th and nearly 62,000 on July 8th.
    What I found fascinating is that Trump, asked about him not wearing a mask, says 'presidents, royalty, dictators, world leaders' ( I may have the order mixed-up)'Idon't see them wearing masks' (or something of that notion). But he definately thinks dictators belong in that list. Now I don't know, but shouldn't a leader of a free country never but leaders of free countries on the same footing as dictators?

I understand the point you're trying to make but its a bit of a silly statement. Im sure me and Trump have lots of things in common. We probably both like ice cream for example. Mao Zedong probably loved his mum. Stalin wore trousers. The list goes on. It doesnt mean we're the same.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Matt007 wrote: »

I understand the point you're trying to make but its a bit of a silly statement. Im sure me and Trump have lots of things in common. We probably both like ice cream for example. Mao Zedong probably loved his mum. Stalin wore trousers. The list goes on. It doesnt mean we're the same.

Isn't there a big difference, though? @CommanderRoss has a point, in my opinion, in the sense that Trump seems to be using these guys (presidents, dictators, ...) as examples of people whose conduct we need to look up to. He uses them as a justification for his own actions. If I were a vegetarian, I might refer to some charming Hollywood celeb who is a vegetarian too because it's more or less innocent, I suppose, to look up to at least some of those. But I'd never refer to Hitler and say, "See, Hitler was a vegetarian, so now I want to be one too." That would raise a great many eyebrows. ;-) If Trump wants to refer to royalty, without dropping specific names, that's fine, I guess. Royalty sounds innocent enough in that regard. But yeah, there's an ugly undertone behind "we, presidents, royalty and dictators" in that statement. Surely, he could have left "dictators" out of it.
    China has cancelled every international sporting events it was due to host until 2021.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    China has cancelled every international sporting events it was due to host until 2021.

Great. It would be so nice if we as a collective humanity could just set all this stuff aside and work on getting over this thing before we try to resume to normalcy. Preemptively reopening all this stuff (sports, movies, etc) is a surefire way to make sure we're living with coronavirus for a long, long time.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Isn't there a big difference, though? @CommanderRoss has a point, in my opinion, in the sense that Trump seems to be using these guys (presidents, dictators, ...) as examples of people whose conduct we need to look up to. He uses them as a justification for his own actions. If I were a vegetarian, I might refer to some charming Hollywood celeb who is a vegetarian too because it's more or less innocent, I suppose, to look up to at least some of those. But I'd never refer to Hitler and say, "See, Hitler was a vegetarian, so now I want to be one too." That would raise a great many eyebrows. ;-) If Trump wants to refer to royalty, without dropping specific names, that's fine, I guess. Royalty sounds innocent enough in that regard. But yeah, there's an ugly undertone behind "we, presidents, royalty and dictators" in that statement. Surely, he could have left "dictators" out of it.

He said “when I greet kings, queens ....... dictators” which although unpalatable is true. I think he mistakenly thinks of a mask as a sign of vulnerability. Pathetic really.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Then I stand corrected. :)
    And yes, it's pathetic to equate wearing a mask to being a weakling.
    For the third day in a row, the USA have recorded over 60,000 new infections. For the third day in a row, the USA's daily death-toll is just under 1,000.

World-wide, we have recorded over 220,000 new infections, and in the past few days the daily death-toll is back to over 5,000 after a couple of weeks in the low 3,000's.
    Hong Kong have shut down all schools again amidst a spike in Covid-19 cases.

All schools in Hong Kong were closed in February, and they reopened 4 months later in June. They are now completely shut again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-10/hong-kong-said-to-shut-schools-again-as-local-virus-cases-jump
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »

He said “when I greet kings, queens ....... dictators” which although unpalatable is true. I think he mistakenly thinks of a mask as a sign of vulnerability. Pathetic really.
    In that case I may have misheard. I was, indeed, thinking he put himself in the line as @DarthDimi described.

Personally though, if I met a dictator I'd definatily wear a mask 😉

Half of all hospital extensive care units (ICU) in Florida have reached full capacity.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/patient-flow/48-florida-hospitals-at-icu-capacity.html
    .....it’s just a flu
    The USA have beaten their own record for the 4th consecutive day, with over 63,000 daily infections on Friday (July 10th).
    Sad news : France is now at 30 004 deaths because of CoViD-19.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Personally though, if I met a dictator I'd definatily wear a mask 😉
    I'd even say, if I met a dictator I'd indefinitely wear a mask...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    For all you herd immunity and Dominic Cummings fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53315983
    Shardlake wrote: »
    For all you herd immunity and Dominic Cummings fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53315983

I never liked herds anyway.
    The USA have beaten their daily-case record for the 5th consecutive day, with over 66,000* cases recorded on July 11th.

* The 70,000 cases reported yesterday on worldometer included missing cases from previous days, which increased the daily total. They still beat their own record with the lower actual count; a record which lasted for 24 hours.
    Florida has recorded their biggest single-day increase, with 15,300 new cases. Their previous highest increase was 11,458 new cases, on July 4th.

News has come out that Florida, as well as Alabama and Texas, had to order refrigerated trucks to deal with their state's morgues having reached full capacity. And that is on top of half of these states' hospital extensive care units having also reached full capacity.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    America First! Yet again.

I've said it before and will say it again, education is the real problem.

• I've said it before and will say it again, education is the real problem.

Just like "testing" is the real problem. If you don't test, you don't know how many cases you have. Presto! No problem! And if you don't educate the people, most of them won't know any better than to do whatever you tell them to do. Presto again!!