MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    That's not fair, as alot has changed since that initial decision.

Though some of us saw how this would likely escalate, I'm sick of like many others this idea that Barbara Brocolli is supposedly burning this series to the ground with her decisions.

Well it looks like this very sassy woman and others made a very clever move and unlike other films and franchises will be delivering a successful film 2020.

Actually this is true-- the people who were negative about the delay, more often than not, blamed Barbara and her incompetency. I think this is what people are responding to rather than saying nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you're wrong! I think, like me, they're sick of the Barbara bashing.

I think she's one of the savviest producers working in the industry. She made a shrewd decision knowing there'd be backlash. It was a gamble. I assume she followed the info given to her, with a strong mixture of gut reaction.

Barbara, EoN, Bond won!

And so did we Bond fans.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

Things have gotten worse, yes. As many people here said it would.

Yep
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,450
    Vote for No a couple of days a go, because on this moment i think there should have delayd it till 4th weak of July. Producers know that people known with a Bond in November. The movie also take place in Italy and possible a part of inportent element too, half Japanese directer. I hope the delay made it possible the movie wil get more screens.

Mi8 will soon delayd till July 2023, because Mi7 wil be delayd till December 2021 with option to delay it till July 2022.

November 2020: NTTD
    April 2021: Furious 9
    December 2021July 2022: Mi7
    November 2022: Bond 26Triple X4
    April 2023: Hobbs & Shaw 2
    July 2023: Mi8
    April 2024: Bond 26Furious 10
    July 2024: Johnny English 4
    November 2024: Bond 26
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    peter wrote: »

Though some of us saw how this would likely escalate, I'm sick of like many others this idea that Barbara Brocolli is supposedly burning this series to the ground with her decisions.

Well it looks like this very sassy woman and others made a very clever move and unlike other films and franchises will be delivering a successful film 2020.

Actually this is true-- the people who were negative about the delay, more often than not, blamed Barbara and her incompetency. I think this is what people are responding to rather than saying nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you're wrong! I think, like me, they're sick of the Barbara bashing.

I think she's one of the savviest producers working in the industry. She made a shrewd decision knowing there'd be backlash. It was a gamble. I assume she followed the info given to her, with a strong mixture of gut reaction.

Barbara, EoN, Bond won!

And so did we Bond fans.

Exactly. I'm pretty tired of seeing fans pretend they know better than someone who's been a credited producer since the Dalton era (over 30 years now), who learned wisdom from both her father and brother while making her own. Her biggest gamble was on Daniel, and it paid off immensely. So of course with this film being Craig's final installment, she's going to make sure this film not only leaves his run on a high note but also assure that there is a future for more Bond films down the line.

Has her track record been 100% perfect? No, but then again nobody's has. Cubby, Harry, and Michael have made their mistakes, but all have kept pushing to keep the series vital that it still remains the most successful ongoing film series this world has ever seen.
    I believe you, I'm just being salty at others who seemed to wish ill will over this film. Some like Midnight's Edge wanted to suggest that the film was postponed because of poor test audiences responding over how "woke" it was and that the corona virus was just a "scapegoat". Now with all these other big releases being delayed, it makes those people pushing such rumors of NTTD look like the **** stirrers they are.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why does it always have to turn to some slight on those on the other side of the discussion? Can't we just state our opinions. I'm so sick of that crap.

What because you fell down on that side of the argument that said they were wrong?

I still wish they didn't postpone it, I never gave a damn about box office. But there you go, a round about insult. If you have followed me at all on here you would know that has been my consistency: whether dealing with issues I'm with or against, to those who agree with me and to those who don't: civility and no personal digs. I'm actually a little sad that that was your response, that I could be that shallow.

@Birdleson ... I get where you’re coming from, for sure. But—

I know @Shardlake very well. I think his reaction to this has been bred from the anti-Barbara Broccoli Back-lash (there’s a nifty alliteration; or as Jinx would say:,that’s a mouthful).

But, I think it can be said Broccoli definitely made the right choice in this pandemic, no?

I mean would any of us want to learn that NTTD was released now and made nothing at the Box Office? That 50% of $$$ was killed?

Bond, as an event release, with the effort and the crew that makes the magic happen, to shoot in IMAX, should have the right to be what it is: a global phenomenon.

To rob all the hard work from those that worked tirelessly to make this an “event” and stick it on streaming would be insulting to all involved.
    Streaming certainly would be an option, but with the MGM and the franchise's future on the line, I don't think it's a realistic one.
    Almost similar to my personal fantasy, though I'd still have cinematic Bond continue through theaters while in between films we get faithful adaptations of the Fleming novels, but without any of the EON iconography attached so that they could be regarded as their own separate thing.
    I feel the iconography ultimately belongs to cinematic Bond, which I regard as very different beast from Fleming Bond. Besides, a gun barrel opening wouldn't be as powerful on a TV set as it would be in theaters. When you strip away all the EON specific elements, that allows anyone working on Fleming adaptations not to feel that they need to adhere to the cinematic spectacle formula. EON couldn't have possibly done a pure 1950s period adaptation in 2006, but a Netflix/HBO style production easily could.
    peter wrote: »

Barbara, EoN, Bond won!

And so did we Bond fans.

Exactly. I'm pretty tired of seeing fans pretend they know better than someone who's been a credited producer since the Dalton era (over 30 years now), who learned wisdom from both her father and brother while making her own. Her biggest gamble was on Daniel, and it paid off immensely. So of course with this film being Craig's final installment, she's going to make sure this film not only leaves his run on a high note but also assure that there is a future for more Bond films down the line.

Has her track record been 100% perfect? No, but then again nobody's has. Cubby, Harry, and Michael have made their mistakes, but all have kept pushing to keep the series vital that it still remains the most successful ongoing film series this world has ever seen.

It’s quite stunning how much hate BB gets from fans. She’s a fantastic producer. I trust her instincts even if I don’t always like or agree with the outcome they produce. Moving NTTD was a smart decision, and we should all be glad they EON was ahead of the curve. The future is unknown but NTTD has a shot at being the only billion dollar film of 2020. We’ll see if BW and WW84 move.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    In my personal fantasy world I’d love to see these big budget Bond extravaganzas take a hit at the box office, and see the franchise resurface under fresh management (it wouldn’t sit dormant for too long, if it was up for grabs) with smaller budgets and lower expectations, possibly as an HBO or Netflix series.

That's where I respectfully disagree, but just as my opinion:

No one will ever capture the perfect Bond I have in my imagination whilst I read the Fleming Bond-- that image I have is perfect for me;

Apart from Amis, I tried the continuation novels and I didn't survive;

NSNA was admirable.

If HBO or another streaming service got James Bond, they'd shrink his status in the world merely by the medium.

Somehow EoN has been able to take Fleming (whether pieces, or whole parts) and transfer his stories and character into commercially viable films. I think Fleming would approve in expanding his character, not diminishing it-- as somehow TV would.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    One thing that bothered me of NSNA. Without any of the EON elements the filmmakers had an opportunity to try to redefine how a Bond film is done. Instead McClory stuck to the formula as much as possible without violating anything that would have put the film in court.

Still, I'm surprised he somehow got away with Blofeld holding a cat. Was that always in the original 1959 drafts?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Full disclosure @Birdleson -- after the Gardner novel with the cult leader (I forget the title), I gave up.

I have never read Wood's adaptions (although I am told they're very good), and I myself loved LOVED John Pearson's biography... to me that was the closest to being Fleming... and every future James Bond actor should read all Fleming and this biography.

P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The cinema is closed here as well now, so yeah. For the next couple of weeks to begin with, but will probably be extended.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Vote: https://linkto.run/p/ZQHD3KCM

Current results: https://linkto.run/r/ZQHD3KCM

vW3yXwd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I may not have read the last 120 or so comments, but looking at developments right now (schools, theaters, opera houses, concert halls, kindergartens closing for whatever time), the postponement was spot-on and sort of visionary. As much as I hate it, but with growing hesitation (I consciously do not use the term hysteria) it is a wise decision not to try and lure people into theatres.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Yeah EON jumped the gun didn't they.

Feel a bit foolish now those that said this was a knee jerk reaction.

EON led the way here, FF being put back a year, says it all.

Only watched FF 1 and both my Wife and I tried to watch 5 and put it off after 30 minutes board to tears.

That being said these films are very popular and will have their super fans, imagine how they feel 12 months and we are bitching about 7.

It’s becoming more of a certainty that EON made the right call.

And why a year? Because EON beat them to the open Thanksgiving weekend date.

Babs and Michael deserve a lot of credit on this.

Big time. I wasn't raging or anything (I've gotten used to the long gaps now to be honest) but I was disappointed at the time, I perhaps naively assumed it was just thanks to China.

But in hindsight they were really, really on the ball there. Just reaffirms to me that while they might not be perfect, Bond will never be in safer hands than it is with EON. Hope they never sell it in my lifetime.
    This is likely the final chance to vote before I close this round.

Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Vote: https://linkto.run/p/ZQHD3KCM

Current results: https://linkto.run/r/ZQHD3KCM

aULqC02_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Movie theatres in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut all now closed, according to the Guardian.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497
    Movie theatres in Los Angeles are closed until 31/03 according to L.A. Magazine.
    All movie theaters are closed due to the Corona virus so any discussion is moot, EON were right and took a great risk which paid off.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    There is absolutely no question that the postponement was the right and sensible decision commercially. The movie would have tanked totally if it had been released at this time. I'm not even sure that it will do without another extension. I just don't believe the crisis will be over by November.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm not even sure that it will do without another extension. I just don't believe the crisis will be over by November.

True. Whatever the case, it's not just EON's problem but everyone else's. Only time will tell.
    If that’s the case (we get to Nov. and, I’ll add, there seems to be no abatement in sight), I think they’ll feel compelled to cut a deal with one of the steaming services.

I think once studios start doing that with their bigger releases like BLACK WIDOW then that may encourage others to follow suit. Heck, maybe even EON will be the first to pull that trigger like they did with being the first to delay.
    If that’s the case (we get to Nov. and, I’ll add, there seems to be no abatement in sight), I think they’ll feel compelled to cut a deal with one of the steaming services.

I like this idea.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,411
    I would have no issue paying £20+ to stream and watch NTTD for a 48 hour rental now. It will be interesting to see the numbers when the Universal films are put on streaming services instead of theatrical release.

Personally with my set up I prefer watching films at home rather than going to the cinema.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 850
    Well, could be nice to have to poll for measure how many people changed mind since the report announcement ; how many people were who against the delay at the time have changed mind since and think today that it was a good/neccecary decision.
    It would also be interesting to see a poll along the lines of:
    Would you, A.) Wait and only watch NTTD when available on the big screen; B.) Have the opportunity to watch the film now, at home; C.) rather watch NTTD on a streaming service regardless of a theatrical release.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Option A for me. I’m open to wait until the 60th anniversary at this point lol.
    It would also be interesting to see a poll along the lines of:
    Would you, A.) Wait and only watch NTTD when available on the big screen; B.) Have the opportunity to watch the film now, at home; C.) rather watch NTTD on a streaming service regardless of a theatrical release.

After this 5 year wait I'd probably go with option B, sad to say.