MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• I was as disappointed with anyone as TND, I enjoyed it but even at the time I remember thinking it was nothing special, but I felt like they turned it around with TWINE. I really love that film, I think it has a great story, inventive action scenes, two brilliant villains, two strong candidates for Brosnan's best scene as Bond (the bankers office and killing Elektra) and a lot of cool original ideas.

I think the problem with TWINE is a lot of it feels played out now. But Bond being attacked on home turf, trust issues and personal drama, M playing a big role in the story, all this stuff was fairly uncharted territory at the time. Just seeing MI6 blown up was a big "oh shit" moment for me, that and cigar girl blowing herself up brilliantly sold Renard as a real threat without even giving him any screentime. But then they subvert your expectations by making him a weirdlt sympathetic character with Elektra being the psycho in control. Like I said, loads of original ideas.

I think it's the most underrated film of the series. The only real misstep is Christmas/Denise Richards but I even like her, I think she's fun and well cast and I find the way they approached their relationship sort of endearing: Bond doesn't even try to be charming and seductive. "First thing's first". He knows exactly where it's going and can't wait. I think a better ending would have been Bond turning her down at the end though, as much as I do love the Christmas coming once a year line in a real "so bad it's funny" groaner kind of way. But a jarring ending doesn't mean the film itself isn't still a great one. Definitely top ten for me.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    What kind of question is that?! Every era is positive in my view.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    What kind of question is that?! Every era is positive in my view.

I'll drink to that!
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,162
    I was as disappointed with anyone as TND, I enjoyed it but even at the time I remember thinking it was nothing special, but I felt like they turned it around with TWINE. I really love that film, I think it has a great story, inventive action scenes, two brilliant villains, two strong candidates for Brosnan's best scene as Bond (the bankers office and killing Elektra) and a lot of cool original ideas.

I think the problem with TWINE is a lot of it feels played out now. But Bond being attacked on home turf, trust issues and personal drama, M playing a big role in the story, all this stuff was fairly uncharted territory at the time. Just seeing MI6 blown up was a big "oh shit" moment for me, that and cigar girl blowing herself up brilliantly sold Renard as a real threat without even giving him any screentime. But then they subvert your expectations by making him a weirdlt sympathetic character with Elektra being the psycho in control. Like I said, loads of original ideas.

I think it's the most underrated film of the series. The only real misstep is Christmas/Denise Richards but I even like her, I think she's fun and well cast and I find the way they approached their relationship sort of endearing: Bond doesn't even try to be charming and seductive. "First thing's first". He knows exactly where it's going and can't wait. I think a better ending would have been Bond turning her down at the end though, as much as I do love the Christmas coming once a year line in a real "so bad it's funny" groaner kind of way. But a jarring ending doesn't mean the film itself isn't still a great one. Definitely top ten for me.

I'm absolutely inclined to say amen to almost every word you wrote.
  • I have a generally positive attitude toward the Brosnan era...but I have to admit that the quality of the films being offered slid somewhat with each new installment of the series. I give GE a 9.5 of 10, TND a solid 8, TWINE a 7 and DAD a 5 at best. Not Brozzer's fault, mostly, the scripts just got weaker and weaker as the series went along. Still, that averages out to 7.3 which isn't too shabby all things considered.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Current Results

How would you describe your feelings about the Brosnan Bond era?
    ENBT57Q.png

Vote: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll1861085x7C11464d-50

Results: http://www.poll-maker.com/results1861085x30bf6019-50

Very negative, the Brossa years!. A disastrous era which for me nearly killed the series! A miscast lead, a cobbled together and tedious stories padded out with boring action and in DADs case, painful and depressing to sit through! Lets hope we never have to endure such an era again!!
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    tedious stories

I think the stories were honestly one of the Brosnan era's biggest strengths. GE has a great plot (I'm surprised it took them 30 years to go with the evil 00 angle) full of interesting characters that did a great job establishing the new Bond post cold war. TND is the weakest storywise as it's basically a TSWLM/YOLT retread but even then you've got the evil Rupert Murdoch idea and the idea of Bond actually meeting a Bond girl again. I think TWINE has one of the best stories of the series for the reasons I put in my post on the last page. And DAD has a bad/stupid story but it's far from tedious (a North Korean colonel turned British knight using a giant space lazer to clear a path through the demilitarised zone is many things but it isn't dull imo) and even then there's the idea of Bond getting captured.

I also like the variety we got in the stories of the Brosnan era. Sometimes it's personal, sometimes it's just Bond on a mission. He fights everyone from an ex agent to a evil media baron to a tortured anarchist and a spoiled heiress to the North Korean military. It's much more interesting than him just battling SPECTRE and wealthy industrialists over and over imo and the stories always had some really cool, interesting ideas/concepts even if the execution wasn't always great. It would have been nice if the character of Bond got more of a look in during these stories as he did in the Lazenby/Dalton/Craig movies, but the stories themselves were generally pretty good I thought. They never really played it safe plot wise. I think the stories just sometimes got bogged down by the gadgets and excess and their refusal to break too far from the formula (my biggest issue with the Brosnan films is how he always has to be in bed with the girl at the end, when in TND and TWINE it feels really unearned and inappropriate).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I feel for people who actually think of any Bond era as Very Negative. Must be hard for them.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Japanese proverb say: "Bird never make nest in bare tree."
    I like every era to an extent, but overall the Brosnan era is the definite weakest I think. I think GE is a classic, but after that, it just gradually goes downhill. I thought TND was decent but a little too generic, TWINE suffered from too many dull moments and a weak finale (still had its good parts too), and DAD was just a mess after the first 40ish minutes. I don't dislike any era, but if I have to choose a weakest, it is the Brosnan era. And for the record he was never the problem; he especially did well in his first two.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I feel for people who actually think of any Bond era as Very Negative. Must be hard for them.

Why should that be hard? Don t take Bond so seriously.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Bond takes itself seriously these days.

Dont feel sorry for me! That era is now in the past. And i love the current Craig era. So am happy. Rarely watch the Brossa films. They're not what i want from a Bond movie. And they're only 4. Penty of Bond entertainment in all the others!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes. We are not like this:
    hate.gif

but more like this:
    urt.gif
  • The current era is clearly the most uneven and flawed overall for me personally but I still voted somewhat positive. Having said that the Brosnan era blows the current era out of the water in about every possible aspect because in the end I want to be entertained and feel upbeat and good after a Bond film.

You Swiss guys really know how to apply an accurate hit, even though I'd say in almost every possible aspect. The looks and style of especially QoS is nowhere to be found in Brosnan's era.
    The looks and style of especially QoS is nowhere to be found in Brosnan's era.

And I am eternally grateful for that.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not sure what the weakest would be for me. Probably Moore because while I love his Bond I only really like three of his films (LALD, TSWLM and OP, and I'm not even that keen on LALD). The others range from dull/forgetable to complete duds imo. But I'd still have to vote overwhelmingly positive because he's great, TSWLM and OP are brilliant, and I can still find a lot to enjoy even in the crap ones thanks to the production team (John Barry and Ken Adams never let you down) and the actors.

I'm lucky because I enjoy all of them to an extent, I think every actor has done a good job. But I also think that one of the great things about Bond is that there's something for everyone. There's a lot of variety there so people are bound to have personal preferences. I wasn't very keen on the direction of the first two Craig films at all for example. If instead of SF and SP we'd gotten more films in the same vein as QoS, I would've been tempted to voted very negative despite appreciating CR for what it is.

At the end of the day there's so many different takes on Bond that you're bound to get some people who are drawn in by one style and don't like another. That's what makes us such an odd group and that's why Bond has lasted 50 years, it's always changing and because of that it's always appealing to different crowds. And I like that.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm relieved that I have at least one film from each actor in my top 10 (and it's not like I went out of my way to make it that way). I enjoy something from each of the actors, but of course I have my preference (classic Connery and Moore).

What is consistent though is that apart from TLD, all of the actor's debut films reside in my top 10 (LTK is there for Dalton) and their last entries are at the bottom of my pile.

That is why, more than anything, I want a changeover pronto.
    @bondjames

I have DN, OHMSS, TLD, GE in my Top 5. Definitely something about those first films of an era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I have DN, OHMSS, TLD, GE in my Top 5. Definitely something about those first films of an era.
    Agreed @BondJasonBond006 and I believe it's critical that a new era start off on a high. That has normally been the case, and I very much look forward to that being so for Bond OO7 too. He can't get here soon enough as far as I'm concerned.
    Current Results

QPCRMx8.png

Current Results

yHh4ttA.png

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,043
    I only recently reasessed GE and came away very plesantly surprised and would now rank it quite high but the rest depends on your idea of entertainment.

Just because everything has the subtlty of a sledgehammer, every single box is ticked and the person portraying Bond is doing everything you expect from the most cliched and expected version of 007, does that make it more entertaining?

If that is what you are looking for but I never liked the PB era from the get go and GE is the only one I'm willing to admit I got wrong. I wasn't in the mood for it but must admit that in retrospect it was quite brave and shook up the formula in a way that the TD era didn't.

Though come TND it was business as usual and it was like TD never happened and the good will they'd gained on GE was jettisoned for the 3 of the most cliched, unexciting and Bond tribute act entries of the series although I do rank all 3 now higher than SPECTRE.

So I do look at it more favourably than I did with GE taken into account but even with that it's the era I most dislike and always have.

There is no right or wrong it is your perception of the series and if you liked a certain type of Bond you most likely see it in a different light to me but I'd seen all of this type of stuff with a better, classier and naturally comically gifter actor in the role and some of them I don't like.

Current Results

iBCnR5l.png

Looks like BondJasonBond006 is going to be "feeling" for a lot more people than he thought!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Glad to see more positivity than negativity for Broz.

It often seems, overwhelmingly, to lean towards the latter around here.
    Seems like everyone is split on

Look,all of you..i have a message from Mr Partridge,007's #1 fan :

65cdf2d40bd5b31c13b3a63cb8f8b465--alan-partridge-comedy.jpg
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Looks like BondJasonBond006 is going to be "feeling" for a lot more people than he thought!

I am surprised that Very Positive still holds more than 50%. With all the ridiculous hate that is expressed like all the time against Brosnan and his films in this forum this seems to be a very good result so far.
    Current Results

a36HmuB.png

Mathis1 wrote: »

I am surprised that Very Positive still holds more than 50%. With all the ridiculous hate that is expressed like all the time against Brosnan and his films in this forum this seems to be a very good result so far.

@BondJasonBond006 Well, it was nice while it lasted.