MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The peak on 9/5 in the night (CET) of 7 Very Negative votes suddenly popping up is one hell of an out of the ordinary statistical improbability.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    skyfall-1183.png?w=590
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    00Agent wrote: »
    skyfall-1183.png?w=590
    Precisely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well, it could just be that when this thread got bumped more people started voting who don't like the Brozz.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    51% of the votes a negative for Pierce. I don't think this is an overall depiction of Bond fans feelings. It's certainly nothing to be offended at.
    I have mixed feelings concerning Pierce. He was the best person for the role at the time, but there are moments where I fear he was weak as an actor. Although stories and dialogue aren't his fault, they can and do hinder his films.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, it could just be that when this thread got bumped more people started voting who don't like the Brozz.

That is of course one possibility.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And JFK wasn't killed by Lee Harvey Oswald....
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,565
    Technically, Pierce was "my Bond" in the sense that I spent my teenage years always anticipating the next PB Bond film. At the very least, my favourite Bond film, GE, is a PB Bond film.

Then TND came, and things changed. The theme song and the plot couldn't get me excited, but PB wasn't an issue at all. I still liked him in the film as Bond.

TWINE is where the series hit rock bottom for me, the first time in fact since 1985. I considered the plot one of the weakest since, well, forever, and the action never felt like action even once. Unlike many here, I didn't enjoy Pierce's constant angry faces and pain faces. Sure, an actor has to emote, and Pierce certainly emoted for all he's worth, but that's not the way I like my Bond.

DAD is the Batman & Robin of the series, always having at least one foot in the "outrageously crazy" section. It's perfectly well aware of what it's doing and at times I wonder if Halle's casting and her character weren't simply part of the joke either. Watching DAD after TWINE is very helpful to get over the failed attempt at delivering a "serious" drama Bond fans actually want to see. I don't mind watching DAD. And I certainly don't mind Pierce in it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    DAD is a riot. A fun and entertaining ride from start to finish. It's tongue placed firmly in its cheek.
    It's cheesy, corny, silly and bizarre. The DAF of the day.
    But it's just too much fun. If you can go along with it, it makes it enjoyable
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Benny wrote: »
    DAD is a riot. A fun and entertaining ride from start to finish. It's tongue placed firmly in its cheek.
    I agree. DAD is a lot of fun. It knows what it wants to be and just goes for broke.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    And yet it still has quality moments,such as Cuba and Raoul,the clinic,making a deal with Mr Chang and Chinese Intelligence in Hong Kong,the sword fight at Blades,conversations with Miranda and getting betrayed again in front of Moon/Graves,the car battle on the lake.

Nice impressive touches.with a great soundtrack as well,especially the lake car battle.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. DAD is a lot of fun. It knows what it wants to be and just goes for broke.

I agree too. Hated it for ages, but once you accept it for what it is you can have a great time with DAD. It's a really fun, pacey, easy watch. Even the bad CGI is part of its awful OTT B movie charm. I actually prefer it to TND, which just feels bland and generic a lot of the time.
    But its still the worst Bond movie ever!!
    (Sorry guys, had to bring a dose of reality in!)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    It might also help to have a "neutral" option to vote for, as others have mentioned. Some people were split down the middle and voted negative.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    pachazo wrote: »
    It might also help to have a "neutral" option to vote for, as others have mentioned. Some people were split down the middle and voted negative.

I had considered this, but as I said with the Craig poll, it would have been essentially useless data, and the fact that they broke for "Somewhat Negative" rather than "Somewhat Positive" shows which way they lean.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Based on the choices I voted Very Positive.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »
    But its still the worst Bond movie ever!!
    (Sorry guys, had to bring a dose of reality in!)

Nah. My personal least favourite is QoS but if I had to pick a worst? TMWTGG. All day every day. I know it has Barry's score, Christopher Lee, etc, but it still feels cheap and half arsed and poorly put together. Not even so bad it's good. Genuinely awful from start to finish, and the few bright spots it does have make me hate it even more. And not only did the filmmakers seem content to piss it up the wall, they couldn't even put some real money and effort behind it. DAD is bad but at least it feels like they're trying. TMWTGG just feels so half arsed.

And I'd argue that Bond fighting sumo wrestlers, trying to beat one by squeezing his arse cheek, being knocked out and for no reason spared and sentenced to death by karate school, only to escape, by rescued by his contact and his expert martial artist schoolgirl nieces who then drive off and leave him behind for no reason at all other than to satisfy Guy Hamilton's long boring boatchase fetish is 1000 times worse than anything in DAD, including the tsunami surfing.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Definitive statements about worst or best are not conducive to discussion; or have any grounding in fact.

Not saying it's fact, just my opinion. My least favourite is QoS but I don't think it's bad, I think the worst is probably TMWTGG. Obviously that doesn't mean it definitively is the worst one and nobody else can think otherwise, that's just what I think. And I'm always changing my mind about this sort of stuff anyway. I just really did not enjoy my last watch of it at all.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Definitive statements about worst or best are not conducive to discussion; or have any grounding in fact.

Not saying it's fact, just my opinion. My least favourite is QoS but I don't think it's bad, I think the worst is probably TMWTGG. Obviously that doesn't mean it definitively is the worst one and nobody else can think otherwise, that's just what I think. And I'm always changing my mind about this sort of stuff anyway. I just really did not enjoy my last watch of it at all.

I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with you in your response to the comment you were responding to.

Ah I get you. And I agree just coming in and saying "no it's crap" or "no it's the worst one" is pretty pointless.
    It appears as though, for reasons unknown to me, the Brosnan opinion poll has been closed and I can no longer manage it from my Poll-Maker account. The closed Craig poll has been removed from my account as well. I'm investigating the matter currently, expect further updates.
    Think on your sins
    edited September 2017 Posts: 3,000
    All of my other previous polls are still accessible from my Poll-Maker.com account, and I can still manage them, yet only these two (Bros and Craig opinion polls) are missing. I've tried claiming the Brosnan poll as mine by searching for it on poll-maker. When I tried to add it to my account, it said it was already in my account, yet I still can't view or access it. I've contacted poll-maker support for help, and reached out to a mod here to see if the closure has anything to do with complaints originating from this site. More updates to come.

I wasn't clear. I was agreeing with you in your response to the comment you were responding to.

Ah I get you. And I agree just coming in and saying "no it's crap" or "no it's the worst one" is pretty pointless.

Agreed. I should have elaborated more. Its just repeats though. Have sad it plenty of times and a lot has been said here by most ( it does feature on most peoples lists either at the bottom or near the bottom, more so than either QOS or TMWTGG!)
    To recap, i find little in DAD to enjoy, its not just the bad cgi. Its a poor script, lousy characters (Michael Madsen looks like he wants to be anywhere else but in this film!) Awful performance from Berry, cringey one liners, dull action, lousy theme song and then theres Brossa; still bad and in the opening scene just looks silly with the fake beard like he's auditioning for a remake of Life of Brian!
    I could go on...but i wont!
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,000
    I had been ignoring this thread for a great deal of time as I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed after the issues I had uncovered, or how to address this situation. In light of BondJasonBond006 being banned for duplicate accounts, and after a discussion in the "Mi6 Members Past & Present Appreciation Thread" brought the details of this situation out in the open, I felt the time was right to address this. After suffering a severe glitch that temporarily removed my two most recent polls, I discovered in the settings evidence of multiple duplicate votes. The poll site is set to block duplicates, but given the sheer volume of duplicate attempts made on my last two, highly controversial polls (regarding Brosnan and Craig’s tenures as Bond), I wouldn’t be surprised if many erroneous votes made it through. If anyone was smart enough to use an ip masking service or similar methods (switching devices, using different wifi networks, using cellular data for one vote and wifi for another, or any combo of these), they could have easily fooled the polling site I use. It’s also disturbing that multiple people had to have been involved, as the duplicate vote attempts fell on both sides of the opinion spectrum, with attempts made to sway the polls both for and against Brosnan and Craig. I want to reiterate that multiple people had to have been involved in this, as the attempts at throwing the polls came from several ip addresses (each attempting multiple votes) and the various meddling parties tried to skew the polls both in favor and against each actor. I've removed the results of the last two polls from page one, as the results simply can't be trusted to be anything close to accurate. It's sad that a few bad sports have ruined the fun for all of us, as I was especially curious to see the results of the series of Bond actor polls I had just begun. It would have been interesting to see the overall forum sentiment toward each actor expressed in a numeric, quantifiable way. Going forward, if I go forward, I suppose I will have to stay away from such controversial topics.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Agreed! I don't think a lot of people know this, but DAD was my first cinema Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I had been ignoring this thread for a great deal of time as I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed after the issues I had uncovered, or how to address this situation. In light of BondJasonBond006 being banned for duplicate accounts, and after a discussion in the "Mi6 Members Past & Present Appreciation Thread" brought the details of this situation out in the open, I felt the time was right to address this. After suffering a severe glitch that temporarily removed my two most recent polls, I discovered in the settings evidence of multiple duplicate votes. The poll site is set to block duplicates, but given the sheer volume of duplicate attempts made on my last two, highly controversial polls (regarding Brosnan and Craig’s tenures as Bond), I wouldn’t be surprised if many erroneous votes made it through. If anyone was smart enough to use an ip masking service or similar methods (switching devices, using different wifi networks, using cellular data for one vote and wifi for another, or any combo of these), they could have easily fooled the polling site I use. It’s also disturbing that multiple people had to have been involved, as the duplicate vote attempts fell on both sides of the opinion spectrum, with attempts made to sway the polls both for and against Brosnan and Craig. I want to reiterate that multiple people had to have been involved in this, as the attempts at throwing the polls came from several ip addresses (each attempting multiple votes) and the various meddling parties tried to skew the polls both in favor and against each actor. I've removed the results of the last two polls from page one, as the results simply can't be trusted to be anything close to accurate. It's sad that a few bad sports have ruined the fun for all of us, as I was especially curious to see the results of the series of Bond actor polls I had just begun. It would have been interesting to see the overall forum sentiment toward each actor expressed in a numeric, quantifiable way. Going forward, if I go forward, I suppose I will have to stay away from such controversial topics.

That s ridiculous. What do people gain from this?

Keep the polls on the forum, then.
    Back with a new poll after a lengthy break.

Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Vote: https://linkto.run/p/ZQHD3KCM

Current results: https://linkto.run/r/ZQHD3KCM

I voted "undecided/conflicted." While I understand that there are not only safety concerns over Corona virus, but also financial concerns for EON in light of what a large market China is for their films, we also have no guarantee that the situation will have improved by November. Things may have worsened by then for all we know. November will mean the return of colder weather, and many virologists speculate that warmer temperatures in spring and summer might cause the virus to subside like the flu. Could there be a resurgence in the cooler months? Who knows, but I’m not sure delaying was the right move, especially with other major films not following suit.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    In answer to the thread question....’no’. Matters will not have improved by November.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yes.
    With the current hysteria and precautions wanted by governments I would have to say that the EON decision has certainly some merit , I am personally not happy about it but do understand the action taken.
    I am more troubles d by the action taken by some 007 fan sites in writing an open letter to delay the movie, as I do not quite understand whose backing they were supposed to have. This is the anti-Craig action all over again, were the actions of a few persons defined the whole fandom who were not actively involved.