MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

1151617181921»

Comments

Birdleson wrote: »
    If that’s the case (we get to Nov. and, I’ll add, there seems to be no abatement in sight), I think they’ll feel compelled to cut a deal with one of the steaming services.

Do you think they would release it in theatres later?
    Conflicted. In regards of the public safety, yes. Glad they've been shutting movie theaters. This, nor any other movie is not worth to risk anyones health.

But now, that I'm hearing the news that some movies will instead go straight to streaming services for a limited time, a part of me would like to see Bond take that leap.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Option A for me. I’m open to wait until the 60th anniversary at this point lol.

Haha, I bet many are!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It would also be interesting to see a poll along the lines of:
    Would you, A.) Wait and only watch NTTD when available on the big screen; B.) Have the opportunity to watch the film now, at home; C.) rather watch NTTD on a streaming service regardless of a theatrical release.

After this 5 year wait I'd probably go with option B, sad to say.

I'm on B too – C even (but that's due to many bad cinema experiences over several years).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    7 months isn't long, at least not for me in how I feel as though time is passing quicker the older I get. As I am not into streaming, I would rather wait 7 moths, and see NTTD on the BIG screen. If not, then i'll wait for the DVD. I guess this is option A.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    A all the way.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    A any day B-)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Now that Black Widow has been delayed and all restaurants are closed, I'll have to invite Scarlett for a dinner date at my place. ;)
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Keep in mind a lot of what’s going to streaming are lower budget tier films, some which already were released before theaters closed down. I don’t think we should expect that to happen to Bond until we come closer to Nov and no solution has been enacted and if other films on the same scale as Bond like BLACK WIDOW made the same jump to streaming.
    I'm assuming (happy to be corrected) that, if direct to stream, the product placement contracts would be "null and void" as the movie was never shown to cinema audiences?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    When the film is released, whether it be in November or later, it will only be when we are past this thing. As it should be. I would prefer to sit in my seat at the film, a martini in hand (yes, we have theaters that serve cocktails at your seat), feeling free to indulge in this film, to cry at the opening, to cry at DC's final moments as Bond, and to clap joyously during the credits.

At the moment, I am not in the mood to do any of those things.
    patb wrote: »
    I'm assuming (happy to be corrected) that, if direct to stream, the product placement contracts would be "null and void" as the movie was never shown to cinema audiences?

I don't think that's the case. I think the impetus to showing NTTD in theaters first is that theaters have been the primary showcase for most movies over the last 130 years and there's still not a digital model that can replace the economic loss of not showing films in theaters.

Even though budgets are increasing and admissions in the US are either flat or falling, the theater business nets 1/4 to 1/3 of a films revenue. Why allow a watch-party of twenty people to pay $19.99 for your movie when ten to fifteen of them will pay $10.00 to see it in a theater? You'll get five to ten of them to pay for the blu-ray or the digital version on iTunes. Then you can lease the movie to Netflix, and sell it to broadcast TV after a few years.
    I am a hardcore Bond fan and it is also my hobby. But? People of all ages are sadly losing their lives to this virus. Of course it was the right thing to do.