MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No no no no no no.

If it had just been delayed in heavily affected countries (such as China and Italy), then at least some people could have enjoyed it, rather than no one gets to enjoy it. Even you don't contract the virus, we're all having to suffer the after effects of it. Rant over.

Not realistic.
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 348
    Not realistic.

Maybe not, but at least some of us could have enjoyed it on time. To delay it so close to it finally coming out (especially after tickets had already been on sale) just feels cruel at this point. They should have made the announcement earlier rather than allowing ticket pre-orders to start.
    Not realistic.

Maybe not, but at least some of us could have enjoyed it on time. To delay it so close to it finally coming out (especially after tickets had already been on sale) just feels cruel at this point. They should have made the announcement earlier rather than allowing ticket pre-orders to start.

Ah, yes. Imagine these boards in a month's time where some people had seen the film and most hadn't. That'd be fun.

Plus, the pandemic had not really taken hold in the mainstream when tickets went on sale.
    Not realistic.

It's definitely not cruel. EON acted very quickly compared to other entertainment businesses. Look at sports; football matches etc. are only being postponed now.
  • It's definitely not cruel. EON acted very quickly compared to other entertainment businesses. Look at sports; football matches etc. are only being postponed now.

Oh yes I know, it just feels cruel to me. I agree with you about sports: I've seen footage of football and rugby matches on the news when they've talked about match cancellations and I've sarcastically thought "So cinemas - no, but that many people at a match, that's fine."
    A Quiet Place: Part II is now the second release to be pushed back, so I don't think the argument that "nobody else is moving their dates" will hold up much longer.
    It's definitely not cruel. EON acted very quickly compared to other entertainment businesses. Look at sports; football matches etc. are only being postponed now.

Oh yes I know, it just feels cruel to me. I agree with you about sports: I've seen footage of football and rugby matches on the news when they've talked about match cancellations and I've sarcastically thought "So cinemas - no, but that many people at a match, that's fine."

It is what it is – in the bigger picture it was no doubt a good decision. Now that other entertainment industries sees that they have to take action too, that will make EON's decision only look better, IMO.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Not realistic.

In a couple of weeks cinemas will be closed in UK, you’ll see.
  • 1 week on.. I have to change my vote to: yes, it was the right decision. I had no idea the past week it would be this bad around the world.
    Perhaps INDIANA JONES 5 will be delayed yet another year?

Birdleson wrote: »
    Never saw any of those Fast Furious movies. They look like generic action flicks.

I only saw the first one and wasn't impressed. However, several people have told me the series gets better with each film.
    Burgess wrote: »

EON did well, in this instance.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    Never saw any of those Fast Furious movies. They look like generic action flicks.

Me neither and I'm a big car nut...
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,025
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I only saw the first one and wasn't impressed. However, several people have told me the series gets better with each film.

This is very true to an extent.

That franchise is a weird one for me. The original film was really just a bad rip off of POINT BREAK. I avoided the sequels until FAST FIVE came out. Not only did the trailer for that look fun, but the reviews were all pretty glowing over it. Despite having not seen 2-4, I gave it a watch and really enjoyed it.

Eventually I watched the whole series and my conclusion was that only the films directed by Justin Lin were worthwhile. So if you have to watch one, it’s film #5.

Just my two cents.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

This is very true to an extent.

That franchise is a weird one for me. The original film was really just a bad rip off of POINT BREAK. I avoided the sequels until FAST FIVE came out. Not only did the trailer for that look fun, but the reviews were all pretty glowing over it. Despite having not seen 2-4, I gave it a watch and really enjoyed it.

Eventually I watched the whole series and my conclusion was that only the films directed by Justin Lin were worthwhile. So if you have to watch one, it’s film #5.

Just my two cents.

1, 4, and 5 make a solid enough trilogy. The rest aren't up to much, despite a few cool action sequences peppered throughout!
    I wasn’t too crazy for 4. Felt like their version of LTK.

I skipped the last two films (Fate and Hobbs & Shaw), but learning that Justin Lin came back for 9 piqued my interest. Guess I’ll have to wait a year.
    Cinemas currently closed in China, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Iran, Korea, Hong Kong, plus some fairly minor cinema markets like Saudi Arabia and Lebanon. Partial cinema closures in Japan and in some states in India. Many cinemas have voluntarily closed in northern France. As for the rest of the world, no one knows what governments will do over the next few days. Not a good time to open a film.

The UK government may not close cinemas at all (if the virus peters out quickly) or it may close cinemas within the next 24 hours (if there’s a massive daily rise). No one knows yet, not even the UK government, because it all depends on what the virus will do.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Yeah EON jumped the gun didn't they.

Feel a bit foolish now those that said this was a knee jerk reaction.

EON led the way here, FF being put back a year, says it all.

Only watched FF 1 and both my Wife and I tried to watch 5 and put it off after 30 minutes board to tears.

That being said these films are very popular and will have their super fans, imagine how they feel 12 months and we are bitching about 7.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    :-?

Hmm, I'm beginning to agree with the postponement. But still, November is too long.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Only watched FF 1 and both my Wife and I tried to watch 5 and put it off after 30 minutes board to tears.

That being said these films are very popular and will have their super fans, imagine how they feel 12 months and we are bitching about 7.

It’s becoming more of a certainty that EON made the right call.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

They saw the writing on the wall. ;)
  • In a couple of weeks cinemas will be closed in UK, you’ll see.

I'm glad I don't share your pessimistic outlook on this situation. Cinemas are nothing compared to large sports stadiums.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

And why a year? Because EON beat them to the open Thanksgiving weekend date.

Babs and Michael deserve a lot of credit on this.
    TripAces wrote: »

And why a year? Because EON beat them to the open Thanksgiving weekend date.

Babs and Michael deserve a lot of credit on this.

I’m sure certain folks here that bashed them for their decision will rather stay quiet than acknowledge that EON made the right call.
    Why does it always have to turn to some slight on those on the other side of the discussion? Can't we just state our opinions. I'm so sick of that crap.

What because you fell down on that side of the argument that said they were wrong?
  • That's not fair, as alot has changed since that initial decision.
    That's not fair, as alot has changed since that initial decision.

Things have gotten worse, yes. As many people here said it would.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,043
    That's not fair, as alot has changed since that initial decision.

Though some of us saw how this would likely escalate, I'm sick of like many others this idea that Barbara Brocolli is supposedly burning this series to the ground with her decisions.

Well it looks like this very sassy woman and others made a very clever move and unlike other films and franchises will be delivering a successful film in 2020.