MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    No IMO. It's like this film is jinxed in some way.

@LeonardPine ... read Craig’s interview in the latest UK GQ... he tells where the cursers of this film should go. It’s insulting to him and the team... considering the effort that goes into these films
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Was delaying it the right decision? Probably. Financially anyway.

Was delaying it till flu season the right decision? No.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nope.
    Coachella was just delayed for five months (October) because of COVID-19. How does anyone not think that NTTD’s change in release was a good idea?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Burgess wrote: »
    Coachella was just delayed for five months (October) because of COVID-19. How does anyone not think that NTTD’s change in release was a good idea?

The amount of things that are looking likely to be cancelled because of this is further proof of how good a decision this is.

SXSW cancelled, large events being postponed left right and centre, most sporting events are up in the air. Whether you find the rhetoric around COVID-19 to be mere hysterics or not, the fact remains that things are shutting down because of it.
    Italy has just closed every cinema in the country.

For all anyone can tell, perhaps every cinema across Europe will be closed within a couple of weeks.

And even when they reopen, will people simply think “everything’s ok!” and surge back into a darkened room in close proximity with a thousand strangers? I don’ think so.

I think cinema audiences will stay low and take a few months to creep back up towards normal levels.

100% it’s the correct decision from Eon
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2020 Posts: 5,131
    No. Matters won’t be better in November. It will take years to pass and cure.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343
    Italy has just closed every cinema in the country.

For all anyone can tell, perhaps every cinema across Europe will be closed within a couple of weeks.

And even when they reopen, will people simply think “everything’s ok!” and surge back into a darkened room in close proximity with a thousand strangers? I don’ think so.

I think cinema audiences will stay low and take a few months to creep back up towards normal levels.

100% it’s the correct decision from Eon

+1 even tho without a vaccine who knows what will happen by November. Unfortunately the virus will spread like in Italy basically in every country without right, unpopular precautions... I'm quite worried about the US. After what happened in Italy how on Earth a President can speak about the virus being "just a flu"...
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Vote: https://linkto.run/p/ZQHD3KCM

Current results: https://linkto.run/r/ZQHD3KCM

hgPl7wI_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Look at this diagram. That's the most likely scenario for the next two weeks.

combo%20(11)-U31402250702662klG-U31701150294278cyG-656x215@Corriere-Web-Nazionale.jpg?v=202003101803

I'm totally shocked that so many people inhere still don't understand what's happening in the world and still believe releasing a Bond film in less than a month would've been a good move. 51% against yes? Come on.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2020 Posts: 23,411
    If NTTD had kept its April release date the way things are developing I would not have gone to see it, assuming any theaters would have been open where I am.
  • Yes.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    If NTTD had kept its April release date the way things are developing I would not have gone to see it, assuming any theaters would have been open where I am.

There were several factors. Worldwide box office was the primary one. But other issues: promoting gatherings in theaters, the cancellation of the big London premiere, insensivity in terms of the villain's plot.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TripAces wrote: »

There were several factors. Worldwide box office was the primary one. But other issues: promoting gatherings in theaters, the cancellation of the big London premiere, insensivity in terms of the villain's plot.

I am fully aware of all those factors
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 1,661
    If No Time To Die is the only big budget studio release to get a long delay, it might turn out to be the wrong decision. If the summer box office holds up, it will be the wrong decision. I dunno, perhaps. It's really a 'wait and see' scenario.

Peter Rabbit 2 - estimated budget $50 million - has been put back due to the coronavirus:
    Peter Rabbit 2 has become the latest major film to have its release pushed back amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, which features the voices of James Corden and Margot Robbie, was due in UK cinemas on 27 March, and the US a week later.

But with uncertainty over whether fans will avoid cinemas, that has now been put back to 7 August.

I can't imagine there are any conspiracy reasons why Peter Rabbit 2 has been delayed. I doubt it's due to bad test screenings. Most likely due to the concern of the virus.

It's possible EON thought a winter release is a safer bet than April. That's the only realistic conspiracy theory? If MGM and others felt winter was a stronger box office date the virus has given them a convenient excuse to delay. It's possible. I don't think that is a crazy conspiracy theory. It's not a radical idea to think MGM and/or Eon prefer winter releases due to the past box office success during that period of the year.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If you want a Bond 26 then NTTD needs to bring in the bucks.
    So, how long do you delay a film of this magnitude? I mean, for it to be released without fear of some out of control virus continue to sweep the world?
    I guess you try and push it back to another window of opportunity, far enough away to see the virus off, not so far that it spills in to another year.

So, November seems a perfect time. I'm not bothered because the film exists. It has been made. Had this virus come a year ago and production effected, then I'd be gutted. But it's in the can, and future generations will see NTTD 2020. The month of release will be forgotten.
    We will get the film.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    NicNac wrote: »
    If you want a Bond 26 then NTTD needs to bring in the bucks.
    So, how long do you delay a film of this magnitude? I mean, for it to be released without fear of some out of control virus continue to sweep the world?
    I guess you try and push it back to another window of opportunity, far enough away to see the virus off, not so far that it spills in to another year.

So, November seems a perfect time. I'm not bothered because the film exists. It has been made. Had this virus come a year ago and production effected, then I'd be gutted. But it's in the can, and future generations will see NTTD 2020. The month of release will be forgotten.
    We will get the film.

Spot on couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Eh, either way there will be a Bond 26. And it will most likely be the same amount of time away, whether it makes loads or not.
  • I don't think EON are delaying it to November because they think there will be no more cases and we'll have a vaccine by then.

More likely, they're betting on the (logical, imo) notion that regardless of a winter resurgence there will be fewer cases than there are now, theatres/borders won't be closed, and people will have just generally moved on.

Let's not forget how the populace panicked for the first few months of Swine Flu and then when rate of infection plateaued and enough time had passed, they got used to it and normality resumed.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    matt_u wrote: »
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    It was not needed. Take Marvel: they are not delaying Black Widow.

That letter too was not needed.

That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't needed. You'd have to wait and see how Black Widow performs first.

No other studio is delaying movies as far as I know.

And IF you're going to do that, why for 8 months?

Black Widow is still two months away, so they may still delay the release. But even if they don't: Disney can absorb the BO loss. Their new film, Onward, performed well below expectations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/film-industry-facing-5-billion-loss-coronavirus-outbreak-1282038

As disappointing as it is, EON made the right call, and the eight-month delay (to lock in Thanksgiving weekend) was strategic. If any of the summer blockbusters have to move, they will now have to work around Bond.

I went to see my doctor last week for my yearly checkup and he thought that it was nothing more than global hysteria. There are still much more people dying from the flu, and not only aged 80 or more.

They could've delayed it until May or June maybe. But now it's beyond ridiculous.

You’re doctor is definitely a moron.

PS. COVID19 is 2 times more contagious than seasonal flu. Far more dangerous for lungs. Ah, and there’s no vaccine or specific medicine. In Italy there are people under 30 in hospitals under intensive care. People with no previous particular diseases. In Europe they kept on saying “it’s just a flu”, I believed that at first, but trust me: it is not.

He is absolutely not a moron.

And it's "your".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I don't think EON are delaying it to November because they think there will be no more cases and we'll have a vaccine by then.

More likely, they're betting on the (logical, imo) notion that regardless of a winter resurgence there will be fewer cases than there are now, theatres/borders won't be closed, and people will have just generally moved on.

Let's not forget how the populace panicked for the first few months of Swine Flu and then when rate of infection plateaued and enough time had passed, they got used to it and normality resumed.

This is it. Regardless of whether you think the virus is a legitimate threat or not (that's a different conversation entirely) the fact is that several markets are in shutdown and will be through to the end of April.

You can't open in April in some areas, then open in others months later. That's doesn't make sense. You can't simply push it back a couple of months, because the Summer season is already fairly crowded and they need at least a week to two weeks of a clean gap to rake in numbers.

The most logical step is to do what they have done.

Yes, there's no guarantee that the virus and the hysteria around it will be gone by November. But it's 100% certain that it won't be gone by next month.

That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't needed. You'd have to wait and see how Black Widow performs first.

Black Widow is still two months away, so they may still delay the release. But even if they don't: Disney can absorb the BO loss. Their new film, Onward, performed well below expectations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/film-industry-facing-5-billion-loss-coronavirus-outbreak-1282038

As disappointing as it is, EON made the right call, and the eight-month delay (to lock in Thanksgiving weekend) was strategic. If any of the summer blockbusters have to move, they will now have to work around Bond.

I went to see my doctor last week for my yearly checkup and he thought that it was nothing more than global hysteria. There are still much more people dying from the flu, and not only aged 80 or more.

They could've delayed it until May or June maybe. But now it's beyond ridiculous.

PS. COVID19 is 2 times more contagious than seasonal flu. Far more dangerous for lungs. Ah, and there’s no vaccine or specific medicine. In Italy there are people under 30 in hospitals under intensive care. People with no previous particular diseases. In Europe they kept on saying “it’s just a flu”, I believed that at first, but trust me: it is not.

And it's "your".

In 10 days 827 people died for coronavirus in Italy alone. “Global hysteria? Just a flu?” Yes, YOUR doctor is a big moron.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497

And it's "your".

In 10 days 827 people died for coronavirus in Italy alone. “Global hysteria? Just a flu?” Yes, YOUR doctor is a big moron.

Let it go, kid.

If you wanna insult get out of here. And while you're gone, buy some glasses. He said that more people die of the flu each year.

And it's "your".

He said that more people die of the flu each year.

Which is again, absolutely wrong. What a stupid thing to say. Do the math. Flu never killed 827 people in less than two weeks. In Italy flu kills 200/250 persons a week in this period. Just to give a clear idea.

I suggest you to find another doctor, kid.
    7y4VjXs.gif
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,126
    Yep time to panic it's a pandemic by the World Health Organization and e3 2020 the main event
    for video games each year canceled. https://bbc.in/2Q5zq9G
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @matt_u I think a lot of the issue here is you using terms like "stupid" and "moron", and the derogatory "kid" . Not the first time you've gotten rather personal and nasty. Please go elsewhere if you can't avoid doing so. Most of us spend our existence on here without getting rude.

He used “kid” first, just for the record. It was referred to me and I never referred to him or someone in this boards with the terms “stupid” and “moron”. Anyway saying this virus is just a regular flu and is just a global hysteria is stupid. Plain and simple. People are dying for it. Lot of innocents. I know u don’t like me but come on, please. It’s officially a global pandemia what are we talking about? Doctors who are saying “nah it’s nothing”? While here and in lot of countries real doctors are dying doing their job trying to save people like us?

Next time I’ll change “moron” with “irresponsible”, fine.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm pointing out that we can go forward without antagonizing each other. He should not have started the "kid" thing. It's not a matter of liking or disliking. Is calling his doctor "stupid" or "moron" likely to bring anyone around to your way of thinking? No. No argument, be civil. Now let's proceed without the nastiness.

Okay!
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    It’s looking like a big yes at this point.

We’ll see how this impacts upcoming films, unless they get delayed as well.
  • No no no no no no.

If it had just been delayed in heavily affected countries (such as China and Italy), then at least some people could have enjoyed it, rather than no one gets to enjoy it. Even you don't contract the virus, we're all having to suffer the after effects of it. Rant over.