MI6 Community Statistics: Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    No one can predict the future but given the current situation, obviously yes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yes, I believe it is.
    In light of everything I wish they had gone to Cary from day one in 2017 this way the film would be out already
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I badly wanted to see the film. It was a gut punch. But they made the right decision for their business. Losing 300 million, or 400 million dollars is significant.

(also if there is some type of virus/bio warfare plot in the film, releasing it now would have certainly been seen as insensitive and the media would have run with negative headlines)
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    It was not needed. Take Marvel: they are not delaying Black Widow.

That letter too was not needed.
    No. At least not all the way until November at this stage in the marketing.

At this point I half believe every future Bond film will probably be delayed and the next one won't start development for years. I think 10 years from now the most recent Bond film may still be NTTD.

So I intend to enjoy NTTD to the full.

Pessimistic rant over.

Seriously, it's really hard to say if this delay was a mistake or not. I think 7 months is extreme, though. If the film does get pirated, and a copy is in my reach, it may be too hard to resist until Thanksgiving.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't needed. You'd have to wait and see how Black Widow performs first.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 3,497

That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't needed. You'd have to wait and see how Black Widow performs first.

No other studio is delaying movies as far as I know.

And IF you're going to do that, why for 8 months?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,554

Black Widow is still two months away, so they may still delay the release. But even if they don't: Disney can absorb the BO loss. Their new film, Onward, performed well below expectations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/film-industry-facing-5-billion-loss-coronavirus-outbreak-1282038

As disappointing as it is, EON made the right call, and the eight-month delay (to lock in Thanksgiving weekend) was strategic. If any of the summer blockbusters have to move, they will now have to work around Bond.
    TripAces wrote: »

Black Widow is still two months away, so they may still delay the release. But even if they don't: Disney can absorb the BO loss. Their new film, Onward, performed well below expectations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/film-industry-facing-5-billion-loss-coronavirus-outbreak-1282038

As disappointing as it is, EON made the right call, and the eight-month delay (to lock in Thanksgiving weekend) was strategic. If any of the summer blockbusters have to move, they will now have to work around Bond.

I went to see my doctor last week for my yearly checkup and he thought that it was nothing more than global hysteria. There are still much more people dying from the flu, and not only aged 80 or more.

They could've delayed it until May or June maybe. But now it's beyond ridiculous.

I agree. It was a tough call and I can't begrudge them delaying a film that was ready to go, and that they are evidently proud of.

Other studios deciding to not (yet, at least) delay their films is neither here nor there - the cold hard truth is that NTTD would have lost quite a bit of cash if it had released as planned.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

I went to see my doctor last week for my yearly checkup and he thought that it was nothing more than global hysteria. There are still much more people dying from the flu, and not only aged 80 or more.

They could've delayed it until May or June maybe. But now it's beyond ridiculous.

I think there's a degree of hysteria in all of this. But here's the rub: millions and millions of people are going to get sick from this. In (too) many cases, the difference between life and death is proper testing, treatment, and equipment. The U.S. is unprepared. I'd go all political here, but I'll stick with Bond. I don't think EON saw any viable dates in summer. But Thanksgiving 2020 was wide open. It was smart move: early bird gets the worm.

I think there's a degree of hysteria in all of this. But here's the rub: millions and millions of people are going to get sick from this. In (too) many cases, the difference between life and death is proper testing, treatment, and equipment. The U.S. is unprepared. I'd go all political here, but I'll stick with Bond. I don't think EON saw any viable dates in summer. But Thanksgiving 2020 was wide open. It was smart move: early bird gets the worm.

I hate to say it, but, the accountants seem to be running MI6 these days. :-?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »
    I badly wanted to see the film. It was a gut punch. But they made the right decision for their business. Losing 300 million, or 400 million dollars is significant.

(also if there is some type of virus/bio warfare plot in the film, releasing it now would have certainly been seen as insensitive and the media would have run with negative headlines)

Maybe Porton Down doesn t need the attention right now.
    edited March 2020 Posts: 8,048
    I think wanting to see the film do as well as it can is natural enough. It goes hand in hand with wanting to see it.

If they had released the film and it had suffered a financial hit and its box office was less than Spectre's was, potentially down to about $600million, we'd be lamenting EON for different reasons. There's no win here, except for the one that they've gone for.

We'll have to see, but I'm optimistic that time will be kind to the decision that they've made.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's a no from me, and that goes beyond me simply wanting to see it sooner. They're already losing money from delaying this, should've went with a targeted release and released it months down the road in the more affected areas (China, Italy, etc.)
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    No.

Agreed. It should not have been postponed 7 months.
    Nope, not at all.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Yes
  • edited March 2020 Posts: 309
    It was the right decision even if it proves not to have been necessary. No one knows what the landscape will look like in November but we all have an idea of what things will be like in early April.

I posted the following in another thread:

1. China is not the only film market currently affected by COVID-19, and other markets may be shut down in what would have been NTTD’s release window. So, a $300m loss could have been a $500m+ loss by late April or early May.
    2. No one knows what’s going to happen months from now so decisions have to be made with information that is known. The virus may be worse in November but things are bad right now, and only getting worse.
    3. Even if the “media” are driving people into hysterics over something that’s not serious, the practical fact is that governments and businesses are responding in ways that are affecting the worldwide box office.
    4. All studios can do is hedge their bets that this gets better. November could have been chosen as NTTD’s new release date for a few reasons: it’s far enough out from the current terribleness, it’s a prime Holiday date, all other programming slots were taken or it gives enough time to properly relaunch a marketing campaign. None of those are mutually exclusive. They could all be true.
    5. The film could be pirated but that’s an unavoidable risk. Again, decision’s have to be made on what is known currently or historically. WW84 finished production last Summer and hasn’t leaked. X-MEN Origins: Wolverine leaked in 2009, got a 29% RT score and still opened to $80m+ domestic. I’m sure piracy hurt its overall box office but bad reviews killed its legs.

Also, delaying releases in certain markets is a risky strategy when you don’t necessarily know when these markets will open back up, and in what capacity. The conditions put in place by the Chinese for theaters will certainly hurt box office grosses.

Burgess wrote: »
    It was the right decision even if it proves not to have been necessary. No one knows what the landscape will look like in November but we all have an idea of what things will be like in early April.

I posted the following in another thread:

1. China is not the only film market currently affected by COVID-19, and other markets may be shut down in what would have been NTTD’s release window. So, a $300m loss could have been a $500m+ loss by late April or early May.
    2. No one knows what’s going to happen months from now so decisions have to be made with information that is known. The virus may be worse in November but things are bad right now, and only getting worse.
    3. Even if the “media” are driving people into hysterics over something that’s not serious, the practical fact is that governments and businesses are responding in ways that are affecting the worldwide box office.
    4. All studios can do is hedge their bets that this gets better. November could have been chosen as NTTD’s new release date for a few reasons: it’s far enough out from the current terribleness, it’s a prime Holiday date, all other programming slots were taken or it gives enough time to properly relaunch a marketing campaign. None of those are mutually exclusive. They could all be true.
    5. The film could be pirated but that’s an unavoidable risk. Again, decision’s have to be made on what is known currently or historically. WW84 finished production last Summer and hasn’t leaked. X-MEN Origins: Wolverine leaked in 2009, got a 29% RT score and still opened to $80m+ domestic. I’m sure piracy hurt its overall box office but bad reviews killed its legs.

Great post! Spot on.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes.

Eon read the tea leaves correctly and saw that in a couple of weeks the number of cases would increase.

We don't know what the plot is, or how it might play in the current environment.

Summer is pretty crowded and the last time a Bond film opened there, they got the low box office of LTK.

Thanksgiving is a true and tested time to release a film in the modern Bond era.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    It is the right decision but it makes EON look even worse, after all of those previous delays.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Was delaying NTTD the right decision?

Vote: https://linkto.run/p/ZQHD3KCM

Current results: https://linkto.run/r/ZQHD3KCM

kudV6Fj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    A clear yes. But it is very sad.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I put myself as conflicted.

While I understand why the decision was made and the financial implications that would've came with the release staying put vs being delayed, I was personally disappointed that the delay was made. We were so close.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited March 2020 Posts: 4,343

You’re doctor is definitely a moron.

PS. COVID19 is 2 times more contagious than seasonal flu. Far more dangerous for lungs. Ah, and there’s no vaccine or specific medicine. In Italy there are people under 30 in hospitals under intensive care. People with no previous particular diseases. In Europe they kept on saying “it’s just a flu”, I believed that at first, but trust me: it is not.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    No IMO. It's like this film is jinxed in some way.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Of course it was the right decision.

Also this was just done for the money, duh! do you think?

Of course it was done for the money, even those that hate Craig wouldn't want to wish a flop of that magnitude on EON. Unless of course they see as opportunity, that EON will have to sell up and then someone else will buy the series and make their wildest wet dream for them.

At the moment we don't how it will hit the UK, it could be nowhere as worse as it has been in Italy but is that a gamble to take.

NTTD opening in the UK and due to corona virus getting underwhelming Box office, if a Bond film under performs here how do you think that would look?

People are just upset, hell I was gutted but they don't make decisions like this on a whim, this was carefully looked at and no it couldn't be released in a few months time.

They need to have the right spot and getting lost in a busy summer schedule would not be advantageous, so November was the right call, I feel it will pay off for them but we'll see.