Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    M-Prince-of-Wales-Suit-Spectre-238x178.jpg

+

AC24BS-Y_24oz_Claw-Hammer-1100x562.jpg

=
    giphy.gif

You have no authority.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    And now we know what C stands for.

"Crab dance".
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Hello all.
    Hopefully you will all pick up this post. Please offer feedback, as the thread will remain open for a few days or until it descends into spam, whichever comes first ;)

Anyway, we have become increasingly aware that some of our forum rulings have not been accepted very well in some quarters. We have been accused of being draconian in our moderating duties, and even been told we are running the place like a police state. This is mainly by ex members, but I'm sure current ones hold certain views which may go against our normal rulings.

As usual the main bug bear is swearing. We have always tried to stamp it out, traditionally because our minimum membership age is 13. We always strived to make this as much a family friendly forum as possible.

We do however recognise that there is a difference between swearing in an aggressive and hostile manner, and someone offering a film quote with a particularly fruity adjective in it. Therefore we have tried to be reasonable when it comes to moderating the tone of said language.

The problem is, there are always grey areas, and if we warn someone for persistent swearing they could easily get upset due to how they perceive the tone or meaning of their bad language. This will of course lead to more fall out which we always try to avoid.

I don't want to waffle on about this, but its a debate we can have between ourselves, and hopefully compromise and move forward. The last thing we want is to see members disappear because they feel unfairly treated, when a message to a mod can resolve all kinds of differences.

As a result of this we will strive to be relax the way we view any bad language we see. But, if we do request someone to tone it down and they take particular offence please remember you can message one of the mods and we will always be approachable and accommodating.

It really isn't the end of the world, it's just a bunch of Bond fans having a chat.

Thanks for your time
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    On the topic of swearing, I noticed there is a lot of it, in particular a word that gets much frowned upon here, in the new Daniel Craig interview on the front page, submitted by MI6 Staff. Some of it even bolded. It doesn t bother me, but there is an example of something that could trigger feelings of injustice in those who do like to swear a lot here.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I do curse myself occasionally though the less offensive words, though I will be more mindful. Every site has to have its rules or chaos ensues, and a reminder of said rules is never a bad thing.
    On the topic of swearing, I noticed there is a lot of it, in particular a word that gets much frowned upon here, in the new Daniel Craig interview on the front page, submitted by MI6 Staff. Some of it even bolded. It doesn t bother me, but there is an example of something that could trigger feelings of injustice in those who do like to swear a lot here.
    That’s why I did say that quoting a film or in this case an interview can’t be addressed in the same way as someone using it in an abusive manner.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Hello mods, just a quick thing. When will the Bond 25 category in this forum be finally changed to No Time To Die?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Hello mods, just a quick thing. When will the Bond 25 category in this forum be finally changed to No Time To Die?

We've reached out to admins with no reply yet.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Hello all.
    Hopefully you will all pick up this post. Please offer feedback, as the thread will remain open for a few days or until it descends into spam, whichever comes first ;)
    Seems to me over the top swearing or just outright offensive language deserve deletion and a warning. Then if it continues, those portions of a post can be deleted outright or the entire post if appropriate. Doesn't need negotiation, just action and the individual is compelled to adjust behavior on the idea they want their ideas to be read and considered versus extinguished. And following bad acts could lead to a ban.

Beyond swearing when responses get personally heated and/or severely off topic and a warning is given, I support deletion og following posts repeating or responding to the offense. Usually the proper thread is already suggested to get back on subject and continue conversation. As long as the provocative or off-topic posts exist they naturally draw more of the same.

I also recognize it can be hard to single out mischief-makers and pot stirrers. And singling them out is appreciated.

Times leading up to the film release on these type forums historically draw sensitive reactions, pushing back on perceived insults or unsupported claims. For anyone it's best to avoid making chronically negative comments on any subject, that goes for new posters alongside mods. Especially in the growing climate, introducing a steady negative drumbeat into discussions goes beyond free speech and quickly becomes boorish behavior.
    18494-c360d9605c08066d76e99b9f38f09017cd4c82e5-128.png1424042-200.png

Thanks @RichardTheBruce . You highlight many of the problems we face.

I've just sent a reminder to the admin and asked for this to be done. It's one button the mods don't have unfortunately.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I've just sent a reminder to the admin and asked for this to be done. It's one button the mods don't have unfortunately.

Which is unfortunate considering we have buttons for pretty much everything else:
    • banning;
    • ordering pizza;
    • reserving JamesPage's private jet because grabbing an Uber is, well, a bit much no?;
    • getting Barbara Broccoli on the phone;
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Which is unfortunate considering we have buttons for pretty much everything else:
    • banning;
    • ordering pizza;
    • reserving JamesPage's private jet because grabbing an Uber is, well, a bit much no?;

But where can we order this pizza? :-?
    JamesCraig wrote: »

• banning;
    • ordering pizza;

But where can we order this pizza? :-?

You can't, sadly. It's a mod's privilege. @NicNac always has a double pepperoni, @Creasy47 prefers anything with extra cheese, @Benny is the one who craves anchovies, @MajorDSmythe wants chips on top and I'll settle for nothing less than a pizza with bacon, garlic and gorgonzola. Now, don't get me started on @Samuel001, @DiscoVolante and @Birdleson... the pizza's they like are--look, let's just say it was a traumatic experience for the lot of us seeing them devour that filth. (I'm still in therapy because of it.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    cannabis-pizza-900x600.jpg
    Looks delicious to me.
    Great, now I'm starving.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Great, now I'm starving.

Good! You know what the doctor said, @Creasy47. "No more greasy for big boy Creasy."

image.axd?picture=2017%2F11%2Fshutterstock_595689401.jpg
    How'd you get ahold of my private photos?!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    How'd you get ahold of my private photos?!

We have people everywhere...
    I do curse myself occasionally though the less offensive words, though I will be more mindful. Every site has to have its rules or chaos ensues, and a reminder of said rules is never a bad thing.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    I do so too. I believe we're all clever enough to find the means to express ourselves in a colourful way without using some of the more explicit swear words. There's some fun in that. At the same time, I'm glad you agree that we need a few basic rules to keep the forum safe from turmoil.

We haven't put an auto-censor bot on this, though. We're still people who can assess the general context and tone of a profanity-rich sentence. But even if we concede that no-one was meant any harm, we may still feel that a polite request to tone things down is needed, before things get out of hand.

As mods, we rarely reprimand or warn or ban; our first intention is always to approach a member with reasonable and friendly requests, not with demands, reproaches or even soft admonishments. What happens next, however, is critical. Sometimes, a member feels backstabbed by us just for being asked to please consider the rules. Sometimes, good-willed advice is misread as us scolding a member for something. Sometimes, digital doors are slammed shut, the mods are called fascists and stuff gets blown out of proportion.

But let us not forget that we're all guests here. It's only polite that we live by the rules of our hosts. Our job, first and foremost, is reminding people of those rules every once in a while. ;-)
    Anything further to add here folks? If not I need to prise it from the grasp of these spamming mods (although I do love them deeply) and close it until the next time.

It's now been changed.
    "The front is opening up! I repeat, the front is opening up!"

Sorry. Just wanted to get that in before the inevitable close.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    "The front is opening up! I repeat, the front is opening up!"

Sorry. Just wanted to get that in before the inevitable close.

Just when I thought this thread was about moderation...
    This thread will be closed in a few days, but I would like to say a massive thank you to all of our members for their continued support.

It has been just over 2 weeks since I read somewhere that the Community was suffering a 'mass exodus'. And since that time we have seen interaction in over 150 different threads, including 36 new pages to the NTTD production thread (despite having nothing new to report).

It's great to see the place so well supported by true Bond fans. Long may it continue.

Anyway, everyone to the bar, drinks are on @Benny .
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    9uuevqqjtz8c.gif
    nx91zhtfxuve.gif

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great news ! ....... It's been a while since I've been offered a Stiff one ;-)
    Closed pending the next big announcement!
    Have you already started a thread to discuss the possibility for bringing back Matt Helm, Derek Flint ? I've seen and read the Harry Palmer one. One might look to other "spy / agent / detective / action person" stories which were filmed, though the others tended to be one-offs -- such as A Man Called Dagger (rather awful, actually), Boysie Oakes (dumb name; if "Boysie" were a nickname, perhaps use his given name ?), Travis McGee (Rod Taylor again, woefully miscast; and Sam Elliott in a tv movie...again not the best casting...and Oliver Stone and Leonardo DiCaprio discussed one around 2012 and though I like Taylor, Elliott and DiCaprio a lot -- bad casting each time), Easy Rawlins (made one, with Denzel Washington -- Excellent but were it revisited they'd need to recast, unless Denzel were to play Easy in one of the more recent stories, wherein Easy, naturally, has gotten older). Additionally -- the Lanny Budd novels by Upton Sinclair.

Perhaps just one thread would do it ?
    If you've already got threads in addition to the Harry Palmer one, I apologize for missing it and ask that you please kindly direct me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Since62 wrote: »
    Have you already started a thread to discuss the possibility for bringing back Matt Helm, Derek Flint ? I've seen and read the Harry Palmer one. One might look to other "spy / agent / detective / action person" stories which were filmed, though the others tended to be one-offs -- such as A Man Called Dagger (rather awful, actually), Boysie Oakes (dumb name; if "Boysie" were a nickname, perhaps use his given name ?), Travis McGee (Rod Taylor again, woefully miscast; and Sam Elliott in a tv movie...again not the best casting...and Oliver Stone and Leonardo DiCaprio discussed one around 2012 and though I like Taylor, Elliott and DiCaprio a lot -- bad casting each time), Easy Rawlins (made one, with Denzel Washington -- Excellent but were it revisited they'd need to recast, unless Denzel were to play Easy in one of the more recent stories, wherein Easy, naturally, has gotten older). Additionally -- the Lanny Budd novels by Upton Sinclair.

Perhaps just one thread would do it ?
    If you've already got threads in addition to the Harry Palmer one, I apologize for missing it and ask that you please kindly direct me.

Boysie was indeed a nickname. His real name was Brian Ian Oakes. Of course Boysie Oakes was created by John Gardner who later went on to pen fourteen original Bond continuation novels and two Bond film novelisations. Gardner explained how he came up with the name of his hero in an introduction to the novels reissued in paperback in the 1980s. He told of how he was on the top of a double decker bus and an older lady was telling off her grandson or whatever the relationship was by saying, "Be a good little boysie." At the same time the bus was going through a clump of oak trees so the name Boysie Oakes suddenly came to him as the name of his lead character. I'm, relying on memory there as I've not read that introduction for a good while but that's the gist of it. I always found it an interesting explanation of where the unusual sounding name came from. It just goes to show how chance occurrences can spark creative ideas.

As to starting a new general thread covering there sadly rather forgotten characters I'd say go for it as I don't believe we have any threads on that specific subject matter. It would certainly be very interesting to discuss in-depth and I would certainly be an willing participant in that. A Google search using the "mi6 community" trick has confirmed that there is no existing thread on this subject matter. I think that should give you a green light to go ahead and start a new thread on this fascinating subject.
    Anything on Helm or Flint will be in the General Movies and TV thread.

This thread is for mods to make announcements which may or may not be of interest to the masses. I will lock this for now.
This discussion has been closed.