Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have to say that this looks pretty good. It has charm. I read somewhere that he was going to retire from acting, so this may be the last one he does. He's a legend, even though he hasn't made too many films lately.

@bondjames The first reviews for that film have been released: It is getting critical acclaim, with very positive comments on Robert Redford's and Sissy Spacek's performances.
    I'm not surprised based on the trailers @DaltonCraig007. It's not my normal type of film, but as I said, this one seems to have an easy charm from the trailers, and so I'll definitely see it. Sissy looks pretty good for her age - she was big in the 70s I think.
    I have to say that this looks pretty good. It has charm. I read somewhere that he was going to retire from acting, so this may be the last one he does. He's a legend, even though he hasn't made too many films lately.

@bondjames The first reviews for that film have been released: It is getting critical acclaim, with very positive comments on Robert Redford's and Sissy Spacek's performances.

This one is really the film I'm most eager to see. Big Redford fan here.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    September 2018 preview:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Die Hard: Year One script has been handed in, titled McClane:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/die-hard-6-title-mcclane-exclusive/
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Very lazy titling.
    Very lazy titling.

What's the deal with movie titles these days? They didn't even bother to name the last Jason Bourne film "The Bourne (something)", just "Jason Bourne". Where's the creativity gone?
    Very lazy titling.

What's the deal with movie titles these days? They didn't even bother to name the last Jason Bourne film "The Bourne (something)", just "Jason Bourne". Where's the creativity gone?
    Creativity is long gone. And it’s not specific to titles, but everything.
    Very lazy titling.

I love that the tagline for the posters was 'You Know His Name.'

Yeah, we do, so pick something a little more inventive then!
    Already I'm anticipating MCCLANE to suck, and apparently the script isn't even finished yet.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Already I'm anticipating MCCLANE to suck, and apparently the script isn't even finished yet.

The article states the script was handed in back in July, but it could be undergoing rewrites.
    Also states that Willis will have as much screen-time as the actor portraying the younger McClane. I was under the impression the film would mostly be the 1970's era McClane.
    Also states that Willis will have as much screen-time as the actor portraying the younger McClane. I was under the impression the film would mostly be the 1970's era McClane.

Despite it simultaneously saying it'll heavily focus on the prequel aspect, so whatever their aim is is already quite confusing. It's pointless either way - McClane became who he was by the events of the first film; attempting to inject some 'major' incident that he handled in his youth as being the reason he is who he is is laughably unnecessary.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    In defense of these lousy titles, I can only assume that film makers do this for marketing reasons. Both Bourne and DH have been away for a while, and Jason Bourne and McClane are instantly known to fans, without causing confusion. In a social media obsessed twitterverse, these things stand out and are readily recognizable.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I still have the hope that someone like Fincher, Villeneuve or Nolan will cast Bruce Willis in a sizeable role in one of their next films. Willis may be pretty lazy these days (though he seemed to have plenty of fun doing Death Wish), but he still has that fire inside him for an excellent performance if he gets the script & director who can tap that raw charisma and magnetic presence from dear ol' Bruce.
    He's been phoning it in for so long now, I worry he'll do the same for what could be a nice redemption role in Glass. Hopefully that's not the case. Those VoD titles must be netting him some nice paychecks for him to keep signing up.
    In defense of these lousy titles, I can only assume that film makers do this for marketing reasons. Both Bourne and DH have been away for a while, and Jason Bourne and McClane are instantly known to fans, without causing confusion. In a social media obsessed twitterverse, these things stand out and are readily recognizable.

Good points. Also simple titles are pretty popular now. We're getting a new film called ROBIN HOOD less than a decade after another film that was just called ROBIN HOOD.

I skipped JASON BOURNE because of the title. I have a feeling I'll skip MCCLANE. Yawn.
    I do hope this trend ends in the near future.
    I skipped JASON BOURNE because of the title. I have a feeling I'll skip MCCLANE. Yawn.
    I saw Jason Bourne. It wasn't bad, but it was a bit predictable. I think the hardcore fans wanted more progression of the character, and it was essentially a retread. A pity, because this used to be a franchise that moved the needle.

I may skip McClane too. I can't tell you how big a fan I am of the first 3 in particular, and even the 4th. Sadly, the shameful disgrace of the 5th has potentially tainted this franchise forever for me and I'm not too keen on this 'young John' angle either.
    Vince Vaughn talks Dragged Across Concrete, which opened to positive reactions and reviews at press screenings today:

https://deadline.com/2018/09/vince-vaughn-mel-gibson-reteam-s-craig-zahler-dragged-across-concrete-venice-1202456291/

@ToTheRight, Jason Bourne is the weakest in the series in my opinion, but you should give it a go anyway, particularly if you've seen the others; I've never understood avoiding films because of their title. Good title or bad, you should let the footage decide (unless the film seems like a dud in general, much like McClane inevitably will be). But yes, I guess we are in a time where they go for simplistic, easy-to-sell titles. I won't put it past our favorite series to title one of the films James Bond or 007 eventually.

I have a friend who will never see the first Die Hard because he thinks the title is cheesy. He's really missing out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Couldn t they just call it MOVIE?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Those VoD titles must be netting him some nice paychecks for him to keep signing up.

Bruce Willis and Mario Lopez to star in "KILL", the new film directed by Brian A. Miller and written by Steven C. Miller.

I can hardly wait.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Those VoD titles must be netting him some nice paychecks for him to keep signing up.

Bruce Willis and Mario Lopez to star in "KILL", the new film directed by Brian A. Miller and written by Steven C. Miller.

I can hardly wait.

I saw a clip from his latest one last night - someone attached it to their scathing review of the movie, and it's a bit that features an obviously-not-Bruce-Willis double mixed with cheesy reaction shots of Willis' face, as if he didn't even have the patience or cared enough to be on set for the entire shoot.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,293
    Very lazy titling.

Creativity is long gone. And it’s not specific to titles, but everything.

Very true. There's also the many examples of similar movie posters with the same fonts, same colour, etc.
    Very lazy titling.

I love that the tagline for the posters was 'You Know His Name.'

Yeah, we do, so pick something a little more inventive then!

Hadn't even noticed that! :))

Good point. There's definitely marketing aspects at play too. They wouldn't want any confusion at all with all the money spent on producing the films, so that's understandable. Still, a little creativity should be possible.

Good points. Also simple titles are pretty popular now. We're getting a new film called ROBIN HOOD less than a decade after another film that was just called ROBIN HOOD.

If they release a Jason Bourne film in 7-10 years, maybe the title will be just "Bourne", or maybe "Re-Bourne"? :-D
    Couldn t they just call it MOVIE?

Hahahaha! :))
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I may have mentioned previously that I saw Willis on Broadway in an adaptation of Stephen King's Misery in early 2016. I was sitting about 30 feet away from him. The guy has immense levels of charisma and he was the main draw, but Laurie Metcalf did all the heavy lifting in the play. She acted her pants off while Bruce just exuded cool as he always does, even when coasting on stage.
    I saw Jason Bourne. It wasn't bad, but it was a bit predictable. I think the hardcore fans wanted more progression of the character, and it was essentially a retread. A pity, because this used to be a franchise that moved the needle.

I may skip McClane too. I can't tell you how big a fan I am of the first 3 in particular, and even the 4th. Sadly, the shameful disgrace of the 5th has potentially tainted this franchise forever for me and I'm not too keen on this 'young John' angle either.

I may catch JASON BOURNE at some point. Honestly I wouldn't be able to differentiate the first three films from one another in spite of enjoying all three.
    I tried to watch the 5th DH film again few months back and couldn't get through it. I do like the 4th one thought. I just watched the original again last night and it most certainly holds up as a modern classic. My personal favorite is DH2. I love the snowy icy airport Christmas Eve setting. Also Bruce looks great there. Love that sweater and overcoat he sports early on in the film.
    Vince Vaughn talks Dragged Across Concrete, which opened to positive reactions and reviews at press screenings today:

https://deadline.com/2018/09/vince-vaughn-mel-gibson-reteam-s-craig-zahler-dragged-across-concrete-venice-1202456291/

@ToTheRight, Jason Bourne is the weakest in the series in my opinion, but you should give it a go anyway, particularly if you've seen the others; I've never understood avoiding films because of their title. Good title or bad, you should let the footage decide (unless the film seems like a dud in general, much like McClane inevitably will be). But yes, I guess we are in a time where they go for simplistic, easy-to-sell titles. I won't put it past our favorite series to title one of the films James Bond or 007 eventually.

I have a friend who will never see the first Die Hard because he thinks the title is cheesy. He's really missing out.

Sounds like he is missing out. I may be, too. Titles like LOGAN, for instance completely turn me away. To me that would be like releasing a Superman movie called CLARK.
    I do think if Eon ever sold Bond the first film in the new studio's franchise would either be called JAMES BOND, BOND or just JAMES. The second film might then be called, OH, JAMES.
    I would say SPECTRE more or less falls in line with the simplicity of titles these days. At least that, and the potential SHATTERHAND still sound Bondian.

I feel the golden age of cinema had the coolest sounding titles: IN A LONELY PLACE, THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT, DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, KISS ME DEADLY, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, ON THE WATERFRONT, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE etc.

All great titles, IMO that stand the test of time, are intriguing catchy and memorable.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,474
    @ToTheRight, golden age posters were at the zenith of quality for me, too, compared to the output we get today (which is understandable, given that a poster was a much, much bigger marketing tool back then than it is today, but the effort is appreciated. Doesn't excuse lazy movie posters).

Also, international trailer for the already-debated-about First Man:

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2018 Posts: 6,733

I can hardly wait.

I saw a clip from his latest one last night - someone attached it to their scathing review of the movie, and it's a bit that features an obviously-not-Bruce-Willis double mixed with cheesy reaction shots of Willis' face, as if he didn't even have the patience or cared enough to be on set for the entire shoot.
    Yes, Willis gets paid a handsome figure for showing up for just two days' work, to dispassionately read lines from cue cards while mostly sitting down. But he must think we're idiots. It's so easy to tell when it's a throwaway Willis film:

-He might be the largest face on the poster, but he gets second billing after some B-lister.
    -He appears prominently in the trailer but all his scenes are set in just one or two locations.
    -Brian A. Miller or Steven C. Miller (no relation) are involved.
    -It's an Emmett/Furla/Oasis production.
    -His acting is crap.

What's surprising is that, unlike Nicolas Cage, John Cusack or whoever, these projects haven't totally derailed Willis' A-list status, so he appears in these lame films, but still gets to star in theatrical releases like Death Wish and Glass. His career dies hard. In fact, his career is like Schrödinger's cat-- it's dead, but at the same time, it isn't.

Sounds like he is missing out. I may be, too. Titles like LOGAN, for instance completely turn me away. To me that would be like releasing a Superman movie called CLARK.
    I do think if Eon ever sold Bond the first film in the new studio's franchise would either be called JAMES BOND, BOND or just JAMES. The second film might then be called, OH, JAMES.
    I would say SPECTRE more or less falls in line with the simplicity of titles these days. At least that, and the potential SHATTERHAND still sound Bondian.

I feel the golden age of cinema had the coolest sounding titles: IN A LONELY PLACE, THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT, DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, KISS ME DEADLY, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, ON THE WATERFRONT, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE etc.

All great titles, IMO that stand the test of time, are intriguing catchy and memorable.
    I fully agree. Titles today are simple for marketing purposes, but they make one yearn for the intrigue and poetry of titles like those listed above. One word is usually too small a canvas to convey those qualities successfully. One-word titles just wind up sounding generic.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 13,894
    Am I reading this right? Has Bruce not driven the series that made him a movie star, into the ground enough, with DH5, that he feels another film is needed? He's been phoning it in and reversing the charges, for the better part of 15 years. If the film is to stand any chance of not being abysmal, then Bruce has to be kept in a different country to where the film is being made.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690
    What Bruce Willis needs is for RED 3 to happen. The first and second outings are the only films in the 2010's where Willis visibly seems to enjoy himself and is a pleasure to watch. There's also Expendables and Expendables 2 where he also seemed to have a lot of fun, but he may have burnt the bridges with Stallone when he demanded a $5 million salary for 5 days of work for the 3rd outing, which saw him replaced with Harrison Ford.
  • mattjoes wrote: »
    What's surprising is that, unlike Nicolas Cage, John Cusack or whoever, these projects haven't totally derailed Willis' A-list status, so he appears in these lame films, but still gets to star in theatrical releases like Death Wish and Glass. His career dies hard. In fact, his career is like Schrödinger's cat-- it's dead, but at the same time, it isn't.

This might be the greatest comment I've read in awhile.

This might be the greatest comment I've read in awhile.
    +1. Better make that two! :))
    What Bruce Willis needs is for RED 3 to happen. The first and second outings are the only films in the 2010's where Willis visibly seems to enjoy himself and is a pleasure to watch. There's also Expendables and Expendables 2 where he also seemed to have a lot of fun, but he may have burnt the bridges with Stallone when he demanded a $5 million salary for 5 days of work for the 3rd outing, which saw him replaced with Harrison Ford.
    +1. Exactly. What he needs fast right now is RED 3, which is just begging to happen.