Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Creasy47 @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Margot Robbie & Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the WWII thriller Ruin, directed by Justin Kurzel (Assassin's Creed).

The plot: Set in the ruins of post-WWII Germany, the film will follow a Holocaust survivor (Robbie) who is forced to make an unlikely alliance with an ex-SS captain (Schoenaerts) in her quest to exact revenge. Together, they hunt down the surviving members of the captain’s former Nazi death squad.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/margot-robbie-matthias-schoenaerts-ruin-justin-kurzel-1202457484/
    Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Front Runner moves to November 6th, becoming the first film ever to release during U.S. elections:

https://deadline.com/2018/09/election-day-hugh-jackman-gary-hart-movie-the-front-runner-opening-date-1202457848/

• This could be terrible or amazing. Hoping for amazing, but I've gotten my hopes up before.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

It seems that Netflix has acquired Shane Black's follow-up to The Predator: the cold war thriller Cold Warrior, which was stuck in development hell for over 10 years.

The plot: The film follows a Cold War spy who emerges from retirement and teams up with a younger agent to tackle a terrorist threat from Russia.

Mel Gibson was in negotiations to play the veteran spy, in around 2010 before the project failed to gain any traction. Hopefully, Black will still try to get good ol' Mel onboard now that Netflix will take out the check-book for the film.
    First trailer for Kursk, from director Thomas Vinterberg (The Hunt):

The plot: The film follows the 2000 K-141 Kursk submarine disaster and the governmental negligence that followed. As the sailors fight for survival, their families desperately battle political obstacles and impossible odds to save them.

Starring: Lea Seydoux, Colin Firth, Max Von Sydow, Michael Nyqvist, Matthias Schoenaerts.
    A new image from Robert the Bruce:

CbtEnHI.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    First trailer for Kursk, from director Thomas Vinterberg (The Hunt):

The plot: The film follows the 2000 K-141 Kursk submarine disaster and the governmental negligence that followed. As the sailors fight for survival, their families desperately battle political obstacles and impossible odds to save them.

Starring: Lea Seydoux, Colin Firth, Max Von Sydow, Michael Nyqvist, Matthias Schoenaerts.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen Nyqvist's name pop up a couple of times lately, even though he passed away some time back. These films must have been in hibernation awaiting a release window. I'm afraid Sedoux is failing to impress again, at least from this trailer.
    Looking good.
    Margot Robbie & Matthias Schoenaerts will star in the WWII thriller Ruin, directed by Justin Kurzel (Assassin's Creed).

The plot: Set in the ruins of post-WWII Germany, the film will follow a Holocaust survivor (Robbie) who is forced to make an unlikely alliance with an ex-SS captain (Schoenaerts) in her quest to exact revenge. Together, they hunt down the surviving members of the captain’s former Nazi death squad.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/margot-robbie-matthias-schoenaerts-ruin-justin-kurzel-1202457484/
    This could end up being really good. I like the premise so it will all come down to execution. The two leads have what it takes to pull it off.
    This looks totally bonkers!

There's a bit of Kingsman Church craziness in these kills! This will be a home release viewing for me, but I admit it looks pretty zany.
    That looks incredible and moody - Paul Dano is a phenomenal actor, looks like his skills are going to translate well enough behind the camera, too.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    That looks incredible and moody - Paul Dano is a phenomenal actor, looks like his skills are going to translate well enough behind the camera, too.
    I only know him from Taking Lives and Prisoners. I agree - the film looks very 'cinematic', for lack of a better word. I like the moody score and cinematography too.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,490
    bondjames wrote: »
    I only know him from Taking Lives and Prisoners. I agree - the film looks very 'cinematic', for lack of a better word. I like the moody score and cinematography too.

You need to correct that by seeing There Will Be Blood ASAP, and toss in 12 Years A Slave (a hauntingly beautiful film, but a tough watch at times), Swiss Army Man (I promise it'll be one of the most unique movies you've ever seen) and the incredibly underrated Youth for good measure.
    bondjames wrote: »

You need to correct that by seeing There Will Be Blood ASAP, and toss in 12 Years A Slave (a hauntingly beautiful film, but a tough watch at times), Swiss Army Man (I promise it'll be one of the most unique movies you've ever seen) and the incredibly underrated Youth for good measure.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard of 12 Years A Slave but am not familiar with the others. I'll seek them out.
    Paul Dano is also in the 2010 action/comedy Knight and Day with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz - I also recommend that film @bondjames.
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Yes, I completely forgot about that. I really enjoyed that film and must give it another viewing at some point. Great fun.
    From his IMDB page, Dano is also in the very entertaining sci-fi action flick Looper with Joseph Gordon Levitt & Bruce Willis, and the very charming comedy Little Miss Sunshine with Steve Carrell & Alan Arkin.
    I enjoyed all three aforementioned films, I just felt like mentioning the ones where he really shines (though I'm sure he does in Looper and Little Miss Sunshine and I've merely forgot, haven't seen either one in a very long time).
    poster_and_segment_details_revealed_for_the_coen_bros_the_ballad_of_buster_scruggs1.jpg
    @bondjames @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47 @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Matthew McConaughey is looking totally unhinged here!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Now this could be really good, I had the good fortune to see Dusty Springfield Story on stage a few months back at the Sheffield Lyceum and thoroughly enjoyed it. I remarked to my Wife though that one segment could benefit from more of an investigation and someone could make a real great film around the recording of arguably Dusty's finest album Dusty In Memphis.

Dusty In Memphis is one of my all time favourite albums, containing one of her most famous songs, Son of a Preacher Man and my favourite version of Windmills of My Mind.

Well it seems my idea had already been thought of by someone else and it's now going to be a film starring Gemma Artherton as Dusty, a talented actress who I think could really do this justice although Katherine Kingsley did a superb job on the stage.

Due the end of next year, will definitely be looking forward to this, off to a promising start with already a great pedigree attached.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/gemma-arterton-play-dusty-springfield-so-much-love-1202927534/
    @bondjames @DarthDimi @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe

First trailer for the IP Man spin-off, Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy, starring Tony Jaa, Dave Bautista and Michelle Yeoh:

• edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    That certainly looks colorful. And it seems any hairstyle looks great on Bautista ;-).
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    From director PAUL GREENGRASS:

Should of made a Bond film.

These 'true event' films he makes are impressive but are pretty redundant as we already know the stories and what actually happened.
    Sign me up for that Ip-Man spinoff. I love how Bautista deflects the kick just by ramming his stomach into it instead.

@boldfinger, that was one of my first thoughts, too: how colorful it looked, particularly those end snippets with them swinging around the neon light advertising.
  • @Murdock Holy shit, have you seen this?!!?
    Charles Bronson has been CLONED.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Master_Dahark, Yes I did indeed see it. That is so uncanny. :O
    Would be interesting to hear his voice.
  • Yeah he's suspiciously quiet, isn't he....

Watch him have a really high pitched voice or lisp or something-- too good to be true, lol
    Found a clip where he speaks