Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    2l807srxxid11.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What a chameleon he is - transforming himself in nearly every role.

The Venom trailer isn't all that great, but I'll be seeing it on the big screen just for him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames be sure to check the latest news on Mel Gibson on the previous page of this thread!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Gibson's going places.

Again!

Good for us. He makes good films, behind and in front of the camera. I enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge and Blood Father.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,257
    What is MoviePass?

It's a movie ticket subscription service. Since Aug of 2017, it allowed subscribers to see one film per day for a monthly fee of $9.95. Needless to say, the company quickly began to lose money and they have continually been changing the terms of the deal to stay afloat.

I didn't take advantage of the service as much as many others have, but it certainly was still worth it. I've seen about 20 films with the MoviePass over the past 11 months, many others seen well over 100!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm curious if any other Americans here have the MoviePass?

I don't go that often to warrant it, but I pity anyone who has, since it seems like their whole business model changes on a week-to-week basis. Last I read, the latest Mission: Impossible was blocked and now MoviePass owners have to wait two weeks for a new release? Doesn't sound worth it, unless you truly don't care about waiting to see films.

I'm not sure if I will cancel my subscription or ride it out a bit longer to see how things unfold. I've already paid my dues for August, so I'll at least try to milk the service as much as I can before the next billing cycle.
    What is MoviePass?

It's a movie ticket subscription service. Since Aug of 2017, it allowed subscribers to see one film per day for a monthly fee of $9.95. Needless to say, the company quickly began to lose money and they have continually been changing the terms of the deal to stay afloat.

I didn't take advantage of the service as much as many others have, but it certainly was still worth it. I've seen about 20 films with the MoviePass over the past 11 months, many others seen well over 100!

Sounds like an interesting subscription service idea, but it's understandable that it might be a difficult service to keep going. I don't go to the movies often, so I wouldn't know - but how many people go to the cinema that often?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    2l807srxxid11.jpg

That looks nothing like Al Capone. Not even close. I'm afraid Hardy is starting to become a parody of himself: he'll play Capone as a slurring, mumbling, thuggish simpleton akin to The Drop and what he seems to be doing again in Venom.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,505
    delete
    bondjames wrote: »

The Venom trailer isn't all that great, but I'll be seeing it on the big screen just for him.
    That scene in the latest trailer when he speaks to the shop attendant made me long for a whole film of that quality. I´m dead sure Venom is not that film unfortunately.

peter wrote: »
    That looks nothing like Al Capone. Not even close. I'm afraid Hardy is starting to become a parody of himself: he'll play Capone as a slurring, mumbling, thuggish simpleton akin to The Drop and what he seems to be doing again in Venom.
    And actor should make believe, not look alike. And we don´t know anything so far about which direction that film is going to go, apart from a few technicalities.
    And given the variety of Hardy´s roles I find it premature to assume how he will go about this one. Or are you also assuming that the front line of the wig will be as visible in the movie as it is on all set fotos released so far?

• peterpeter Toronto
    I actually do know a little about this film @boldfinger. Josh Trank's script was thrown together quite quickly; Al Capone had many famous nicknames (Public Enemy Number One (the President called him this, and Capone was the first person to receive this title), Snorky, The Big Fella... Not once was he called "Fonzo"; most of the characters in the film are also not based in reality outside of Linda Cardellini's Mae (Al Capone's Irish wife), and Hardy's Al Capone. The research on the film was paltry, and they didn't even name Al's sister by her proper name (Mafalda). And when you're playing a real-life character, especially as one as well known and notorious as Capone, you may want to ask the prosthetic department to get something resembling the man-- especially since they've released photos side-by-side with some of Al's most famous mug-shots (which is a disservice to the production team).

And no matter which direction they are going in, they want to catch the truth or essence of the man. That's the whole point of filmmaking and making a bio-pic. What they've presented thus far (from the script to the photos), is a vaudeville-like villain, and not the frightening, manipulative, most powerful man of his era.

There's a reason-- after all of Capone's sins-- they could only get him on tax evasion. He was quite a special type of criminal.

This script, and the film that's already in the can (with no release date as of yet), will only show the stereotypical-thug.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First trailer for the new film directed by Barry Jenkins:

Saw it earlier, and in just a few seconds I could already tell it was a Jenkins film; can't wait for this one, he blew me away with Moonlight.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego

Rebecca Ferguson has joined the cast of the upcoming Men in Black spin-off, alongside Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson.
    I actually do know a little about this film @boldfinger. Josh Trank's script was thrown together quite quickly; Al Capone had many famous nicknames (Public Enemy Number One (the President called him this, and Capone was the first person to receive this title), Snorky, The Big Fella... Not once was he called "Fonzo"; most of the characters in the film are also not based in reality outside of Linda Cardellini's Mae (Al Capone's Irish wife), and Hardy's Al Capone. The research on the film was paltry, and they didn't even name Al's sister by her proper name (Mafalda). And when you're playing a real-life character, especially as one as well known and notorious as Capone, you may want to ask the prosthetic department to get something resembling the man-- especially since they've released photos side-by-side with some of Al's most famous mug-shots (which is a disservice to the production team).

And no matter which direction they are going in, they want to catch the truth or essence of the man. That's the whole point of filmmaking and making a bio-pic. What they've presented thus far (from the script to the photos), is a vaudeville-like villain, and not the frightening, manipulative, most powerful man of his era.

There's a reason-- after all of Capone's sins-- they could only get him on tax evasion. He was quite a special type of criminal.

This script, and the film that's already in the can (with no release date as of yet), will only show the stereotypical-thug.
    @peter, I understand and fully respect your knowledge if you got it trough insider connections, but why not say so in the first place, instead of giving the impression that you predict the film based on a foto?

And the description I read about the film sounds more like a drama than a bio-pic.

• This cast for the MiB spinoff is shaping up very nicely indeed. I’m a huge fan of the first one. The second was garbage and the third, while not reaching the same heights of the first, was quite enjoyable nonetheless. I’m very much looking forward to what they do with this spinoff.
    I saw she also joined the Doctor Sleep adaptation. She's already becoming a powerhouse in the industry, I hope to see her in more and more as the years go by.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

That scene in the latest trailer when he speaks to the shop attendant made me long for a whole film of that quality. I´m dead sure Venom is not that film unfortunately.
    Probably not, but I'll still go and see it on the big screen (even though the trailer pretty much gave the film away) just to see how Hardy plays Brock.

He's one of the more watchable actors of his generation as far as I'm concerned, and I've been quite impressed by him in most of the films I've seen him in, irrespective of the actual quality of those films.

I'll surely check out this Capone thing too, but may wait for a blu ray release. I'm not all that familiar with his biography apart from the obvious, so I'm sure it will be interesting to me irrespective of any factual inaccuracies.
    --
    Rebecca Ferguson has joined the cast of the upcoming Men in Black spin-off, alongside Chris Hemsworth, Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson.
    Ferguson, Thompson and Neeson in one film? Wow. This will be the first MiB I actually see then.
    That's a really great cast. Sort of Layer Cake for seniors.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    boldfinger wrote: »

@peter, I understand and fully respect your knowledge if you got it trough insider connections, but why not say so in the first place, instead of giving the impression that you predict the film based on a foto?

And the description I read about the film sounds more like a drama than a bio-pic.

It was a reaction on my part @boldfinger, when i first commented on the picture. That was all. And yes, they’re going for a “dramatic” flavour interspersing his declining years (he suffered from neurosyphilis and cocaine addiction), with flashbacks to his past
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,293
    ypojp7qfmpd11.jpg

WOW! Can't remember the last time I saw a cast as great as this!
    @boldfinger -- check out these actors playing iconic roles in this upcoming dramedy:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/stan-ollie-london-film-festival-first-look-johnc-reilly-steve-coogan-1202439418/

Thats how you capture an essence of the character and translate it onto actors who play the role. I'm looking forward to this one!
    Some Die Hard: Year One updates:

https://www.slashfilm.com/die-hard-year-one-details/
    @boldfinger -- check out these actors playing iconic roles in this upcoming dramedy:

https://deadline.com/2018/08/stan-ollie-london-film-festival-first-look-johnc-reilly-steve-coogan-1202439418/

Thats how you capture an essence of the character and translate it onto actors who play the role. I'm looking forward to this one!
    @peter, fair enough. I might be ignorant, but for me the question is more important of how does Hardy fare compared to De Niro.
    But I´m always happy if Steve Coogan is busy, I´m a big admirer and think he should get more interesting roles. He was amazing in The Alibi.

@bondjames @Creasy47 @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

First clip of Peter Berg's Mile 22, starring Mark Wahlberg, Iko Uwais and John Malkovitch:

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,505
    I agree @boldfinger -- I think both Coogan and O'Reilly are two fine actors who are going to knock this out of the park.

I love the Untouchables as kind of a comic-book noir depiction of the time (plus love Connery as an "Irish" cop), but DeNiro played the thug. And if the pics of Hardy (after all, a picture says a thousand words), and script is anything to go by, he will also be playing a malicious thug.

The thing about Capone is he was very soft-spoken, looked like a cuddly teddy bear, even acted like one; he opened a soup kitchen that fed many out of work men, women and children.

He took kids to baseball games.

You could invite him over to supper.

He was lovable Uncle Al to his nieces and nephews.

And that's what made him terrifying-- 'cause if he thought you were off-side, he would crush your skull with a baseball bat (yes, that was one thing the Untouchables got right (although it was in an off-the-beaten-path roadhouse that he did this, and; it was against TWO men who had betrayed him)).

There was a genuine side to him and he HATED his scars-- he went so far to put make-up over them to try and conceal them. And when anyone asked about them, he said he got them in the war.

Does this guy look like he could hurt a fly??:

jovial Al:

https://www.thoughtco.com/al-capone-1779788

a cuddly mugshot:

https://www.history.com/topics/prohibition/pictures/al-capone-and-prohibition/mugshot-of-gangster-al-capone

and this is when he was quite ill with neurosyphillis (which Hardy will also be portraying):

https://www.fbi.gov/image-repository/capone-mug-shot-1939.jpg/view
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 5,767
    @peter, your description and those fotos give me the idea that with that original character a very fascinating film could be made. If Jude Law was known for Bale-like body transformations, I could even imagine him being quite a good cast.
    Perhaps it is the way of Hollywood scripts to drift away so far from real history with all its re-writes, or I could also imagine that sometimes a studio has a script in the drawer, thinks it lacks something, and then decides to give the protagonist the name of some historical figure with the intention (justified or not) to make the protagonist more interesting. And rushed scriptwriting could also come in of course ;-).

@bondjames @Creasy47 @doubleoego @ClarkDevlin @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

First clip of Peter Berg's Mile 22, starring Mark Wahlberg, Iko Uwais and John Malkovitch:

That was cool! Can´t wait for the film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Looks absolutely fantastic!