FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

Ahh Machete! Now there´s a guilty pleasure :-)...
    Regarding Seagal's straight to DVD films. In fact i have found some of his more recent films to be better than some of the one's he made in the early to mid 2000's.
  • I wonder why he did Machete but refuses The Expendables.
    Seems he could use the theatre exposure. I bet there are kids who don't even know who he is.
    I'd love to see him back in something.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Something to do with disputes he's had with producer Avi Lerner, I believe.
    I wonder why he did Machete but refuses The Expendables.
    Seems he could use the theatre exposure. I bet there are kids who don't even know who he is.
    I'd love to see him back in something.

I think its an ego thing.
    Seagal in the early 90's was very unkind to JCVD, and apparently years later when Seagal and JCVD were at Stallone's house, JCVD called Seagal out, to settle things, but Seagal made an excuse and left.
    JCVD has said he didn't understand why Seagal had been bad mouthing him, but in recent years in an interview JCVD said it would be good if Seagal accepted a role in an Expendables film, though it does look unlikely.

• Interesting- if it's an ego thing, normally I'd suggest they settled it by fighting in Expendables 4 but, you know.... Expendables 2. ;)
    Although, Van Damme is no stranger to playing twins (at least 3 movies I can think of off the top of my head) so technically he could return even though he died in part 2
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    All this talk MADE me order the Seagal 5 film Blu Ray collection (Above The Law, Hard To Kill, Under Siege, Under Siege 2, Executive Decision). Damn you guys! :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    All this talk MADE me order the Seagal 5 film Blu Ray collection (Above The Law, Hard To Kill, Under Siege, Under Siege 2, Executive Decision). Damn you guys! :))

But at least that's a collection of good Seagal films, enjoy.:)
    mepal1 wrote: »

It leaves out Marked For Death though.... oh well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

"Oh well"? It's Seagal sword-fighting Jamaican drug lords, what's not to love?! I need to get around to buying it on blu-ray.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

"Oh well"? It's Seagal sword-fighting Jamaican drug lords, what's not to love?! I need to get around to buying it on blu-ray.
    Curse you @Creasy47, now YOU are MAKING me get a copy!!! eBay here I come.
    @chrisisall, that's the spirit! It's only $7.99 on blu-ray through Amazon, going to add it to my cart and look around to see if I can find anything else I want for free shipping.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @chrisisall, that's the spirit! It's only $7.99 on blu-ray through Amazon, going to add it to my cart and look around to see if I can find anything else I want for free shipping.

Timecop? Timecop 2? I already have 'em both.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Never saw a Seagal film (or Van Damme or The Rock or Van Diesel, for that matter), and have no intention of ever doing so. Too much good stuff I need to catch up on.
    You just don't like cheese on top of your cheese...
    ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vqaCBDy39KU

This comes to mind every time I think of Seagal.
    Here's a film clip of Seagal fighting in a cafe. :))

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>079
    </b>How do you feel about Fincher's Alien³?</font>
    One of the most depressing movies of all time. It made Alien Resurrection seem like a brilliant comeback ( but not a fan of that one either).
    I seem to remember that the original script was about a planet made of wood? with an atmosphere so thin, you could put your head over and see into space? utterly bonkers (got the boxed set from Oxfam shop, has all the docs)
    Its not as bad as some made out IMHO, I like the fact that Dance gets it early and the lack of weapons etc and some decent acting but the ending is weak, very weak
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I've only seen this film once. It was one of my earlier theatrical experiences so it's a bit fuzzy. I've seen all the other 3 at least 5 times. So that says something about my view of this film.

I remember being so disappointed when I saw it in the theatre. What a tragic follow up to the brilliance of Aliens I thought. I may actually watch it again one day, to see if I had misjudged it unfairly back then. Alien itself is one of my all time faves.
    Only Fincher movie i haven't seen.
    I like all 4 original Alien movies and they are all different in style and feel. Finchers Alien3 is very enjoyable and original. A nice step back from Camerons bombastic approach.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,602
    I think you may be surprised, its a deeper movie in some ways. Considering the deserved success of Aliens, it was always going to be tough. Its a totally different take on the series and just too left field for many.
    https://whitecliffpublishing.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/is-it-time-to-re-examine-alien-3/
  • Although I tend to dislike it as a whole, I have to respect the balls it took to kill two of the main characters right off the bat; one of whom was just a little girl.
    Even in horror movies, like Friday the 13th, at least the kids are usually safe.
    It brought the movie a mean streak- no kiddie gloves... no character is safe (and sure enough, there goes Ripley at the end). It was like the original Game of Thrones, lol.

That said... the movie tends to be a bore in the middle, and even most of the end. And the fact that literally everyone had a bald noggin and some had little character development, when they start getting picked off I found myself wondering 'ok which one was that?'
    I actually like Ripley's death (as sad as it is) but even that loses its potency with Alien Resurrection.
    So while far from the best, I'd still put it above Resurrection, if for nothing else being a brutal mean movie that doesn't worry about upsetting you. It's a giant leap down from Alien & Aliens... I'd give it a 2 out of 5

There have been rumors about a possible Alien V which retcons 3 so Ripley & Hicks live, but sadly I haven't heard much on that front in quite a while.

I liked Alien³. Sure, it has issues, but I thought it was, all things considered, a pretty good film and a nice departure after the action-heavy Aliens.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    There is actually another version of Alien3, and i watched it some time ago.
    I believe it was made up by the editor on the film, and uses the rejected or cut material, and it actually has got a few altered scenes as well as additional ones, and is basically a far more expanded version of the original theatrical Alien3. There's more dialogue and action scenes, and the Alien creature is not born out of a dog, but an oxon. Its worth watching this version, coz i thought it was better, and showed what Fincher had in mind.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @mepal1, I love the 'extended cut' so much more than the theatrical cut. The "bull alien" is a far better creation than the dog alien is and I love the shot of Clemens (Charles Dance) walking on the beach and spotting Ripley in the sand.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Alien 3 is a very, very, very underrated movie. It's not the same as Aliens or Alien, and it's nowhere near as good as either movie, but it's not a horrible movie in any way. It manages a thousand times the scares Alien Resurrection offers, and brings a very nice close to the life of Ellen Ripley. The prison is a tense, frightening location. The dog-like xenomorph is just as scary on its own as the horde was in Aliens.

Alien 3 was the first movie in the series that I saw, and I loved (and wet myself during) every minute of it. (I was nine.)
    It's not as bad as I had thought it would be. Seeing how Fincher sets up his shots while he's at his filmography youth is nice, it has a pretty solid supporting cast (hi, Tywin Lannister), and the setting is pretty cool and works well for having a hungry Xenomorph stalk more unsuspecting prey. However, my biggest complaint is that awful, awful, awful, AWFUL CG Alien they went with. I don't know why this was a thing that someone thought would be a great idea, but it happened and can't be taken back. It's what stops the movie from being a remotely worthy successor to the former two movies.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    The thing is with Alien3, even though the studio kept messing Fincher about, the finished film is actually still very good, and the disappointment that Alien fans felt towards the film, ( me included at that time in 1992), was that it wasn't another all out guns blasting action film. If you can take this expectation out of your mind then Alien3 is actually a pretty darn good film in its own right.

Dillon to the surviving prisoners:-

" You're all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fuckin' knees... begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say *fuck* that thing! Let's fight it!"