FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Guilty pleasure. Can't help but watch his movies. Good, cheap fun.
    I found it brilliant how in Executive Decision he seemed to be the major player and then just vanished into thin air :-).
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The only ones I've really watched are Under Siege (Tommy Lee Jones steals the show) and Executive Decision (where he dies about half an hour into the film).

I have seen parts of The Glimmer Man though which is hilarious:

"I'll take care of you like I took care of your ex-wife"
    "Has anyone ever told you that you're a real pain in the ass"
    "I wake up happy...I'm going to bed happy...'cos you're gonna be dead"

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Under Siege 2 is one of my favorite movies, so... Where does that put me?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Under Siege 2 is one of my favorite movies, so... Where does that put me?
    Agreed on this. Under Siege 2 has a Bond vibe (must be the train thing). Love it.

I'm not a fan of his other films though, as I find them a little too 'b-movie' except Executive Decision, where as has been mentioned, he bites the bullet unexpectedly within the first half hr.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    While I prefer Van Damme, i've seen a few Seagall films.

- Both Under Siege & Under Siege 2
    - Submerged
    - Fire Down Below
    - On Deadly Ground
    - Exit Wounds
    - Hard To Kill
    - Driven To Kill

As well as Executive Decision (I don't really think of this as a Seagal film, for obvious reasons). Back in the 90's early 2000's, he was a decent action hero, but now Seagal is firmly in guilty pleasure territory.
    I can't recall seeing a single film with him in it
    I can't recall seeing a single film with him in it
    What about Licence to Kill ;)?

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I didn't even think of throwing Executive Decision in there, though that's also a favorite of mine.
    I know Steven Seagal has a reputation as being an asshole, but i do enjoy his films, and have watched many of his direct to DVD films, which has been the case since the only 2000's. Some of which are not too bad, but he was at his best in the 90's. Shame that some of those action films were slightly spoiled by Seagal introducing ecological themes into his films e.g. On Deadly Ground.
  • The most recent one of his I saw actually was Exit Wounds, lol. Seems like after that he descended into direct to video dime-a-dozen movies.
    If any of those are worth looking into let me know, because Seagal was definitely a guilty pleasure of mine
    Steven Seagal a decent B-movie martial arts " actor", I do not mind his occasional late night movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BIG guilty pleasure of mine; at least his first few movies, anyway. I grew up with the likes of 'Out for Justice,' 'Above the Law,' and 'Marked for Death,' and couldn't get enough of them as a child. I still think they're very entertaining, but my love for Seagal stops around this point, as his movies swiftly nosedive into cringe-worthy territory.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Definite guilty pleasure for me. I like Seagal's moves and his attitude in a funny sort of way. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    On Deadly Ground is my favourite- Michael Caine chew the scenery exquisitely.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    On Deadly Ground is my favourite- Michael Caine chews the scenery exquisitely.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is the very definition of guilty pleasure for me. I realize that most of his films are goddamn poor, but whenever they show on tv, I end up watching.
    This is the very definition of guilty pleasure for me. I realize that most of his films are goddamn poor, but whenever they show on tv, I end up watching.

What do those films have that the Brosnan films don't :p ??
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    After hearing stories about him in the industry, and how he treats co-workers, and the fact that I don't like any of his movies, I'm going to have to say "abysmal".
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Ponytails and mullets.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

Ponytails and mullets.

Great answer :))

chrisisall wrote: »
    On Deadly Ground is my favourite- Michael Caine chew the scenery exquisitely.

Yes, people remember Michael Caine in 'On Deadly Ground' as he is a villain in the film, and for the fact that he has his hair dyed black. :-O

Which of Seagal's straight to DVD films, do members here like?
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Which of Seagal's straight to DVD films, do members here like?
    Sadly none.
    I haven't seen any of his direct-to-DVD stuff, actually.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Me neither. I may have seen one filmed in Eastern Europe (Snipes, Van Damme and he all seemed to be slumming over there towards the end) but can't remember it.
    Fire Down Below was the last one I remember liking at all.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »
    Me neither. I may have seen one filmed in Eastern Europe (Snipes, Van Damme and he all seemed to be slumming over there towards the end) but can't remember it.

Funnily enough, both Expendables 2 and Expendables 3 are mostly set in Eastern Europe.
    bondjames wrote: »

Funnily enough, both Expendables 2 and Expendables 3 are mostly set in Eastern Europe.

Seagal is the one action star who has not appeared in an Expendables film, though he has been asked, but declined.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like Seagal in Machete as a Mexican (!) drug lord. His contract stipulated that
    he couldn't be seen being decapitated by Machete
    and so they chose to
    make him choose some form of seppuku instead.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I like Seagal in Machete as a Mexican (!) drug lord. His contract stipulated that
    he couldn't be seen being decapitated by Machete
    and so they chose to
    make him choose some form of seppuku instead.

Yes, i saw that recently, the first Machete film with Seagal. I enjoyed that film.
    Its interesting to note that Seagal really doesn't like being killed off in films (though that is a rare thing), as was seen in Executive Decision, where apparently Seagal made such a fuss on the day, when his death was filmed, that it took nearly a day just to film his death scene!