FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

I've seen Alien 3 twice. The first time I saw it I hated it and thought it was the worst one of the (then) 4 films. However, I saw it again almost 2 years ago in the Director's Cut form and the first half of the film is relatively decent. The second half is what makes the film fall apart.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    My like of Alien3 varies with each viewing. When it came out I loved the strong atmosphere oozing from the shots, much like Seven.
    Years later I found it rather boring.
    Yet again years later I found it very solid.

In any case, the documentaries and mock-up extended cut which are on some DVDs are very fascinating. The wooden planet is so out there, I have no idea how anyone could seriously come up with such an idea, but it would have been even more surreal than Alien 4.

It manages a thousand times the scares Alien Resurrection offers,
    I never thought that Alien Resurrection was meant as a scary movie. It´s much more about dystopian surrealism.

There have been rumors about a possible Alien V which retcons 3 so Ripley & Hicks live, but sadly I haven't heard much on that front in quite a while.
    Ridley Scott seems to have a big say in it, according to media reports he pushed the shooting of Neil Blomkamp´s Alien 5 back, so it won´t collide with his own Prometheus sequel, which in the meantime got the word Alien in its title. Scott said he surely wants to make Alien 5, but I´m not sure if Blomkamp is still on board.

• mepal1 wrote: »
    Dillon to the surviving prisoners:-

" You're all gonna die. The only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet? Or on your fuckin' knees... begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothing! So I say *fuck* that thing! Let's fight it!"
    Remember when the Warden got pulled up into the vent, and everyone was panicking and scrambling, then it quieted down and one of the prisoners, with perfect comedic timing I might add, just shouts "FUCK." =))
    Which character was that? (see my 'another random bald guy' comment above) I remember laughing at that for five minutes straight the first time I saw it!

After rewatching it just now, that stupid bouncy ball with the dripping blood is the icing on the cake!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I find it a very rewarding experience now. Even though Fincher didn't get to fully make the film he wanted to make, it still bears his unique stamp. After the big, ballsy Cameron effort (one of my favourite films) this might seem like a step down, but I think it's beautifully crafted with a gothic, noirish feel.

Some great supporting characters (a staple of the previous two films and the best element of the fourth film), a superb score, cracking sets, a very unsettling horror vibe and a great performance by Weaver.

Some of the Special Effects are ropey but luckily Fincher is so skilled at creating atmosphere and tension that I am able to look past the dodgy zero's and one's.

I always wonder, if given enough time, will this film ever receive a bit more credit? It seems to be stuck in the middle as the least watched Alien film by the masses. The first two are well known because of their undeniable quality, while the fourth is remembered for being trash. Alien 3 seems to hold the middle ground, and thus is often not remembered as much. Might just be me, though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A very welcome film after the disappointing Aliens. Probably Fincher s best film.
    As some have mentioned, as all the prisoners are bald in the film, it does make it at times difficult to identify who is who. Even though the majority of the prisoners are played by British actors (me also being British :) ), i too found it difficult putting names to faces.
    The thing is with Alien3 is that the film makers really didn't know in which direction to go with the film, even when they were actually making it, as i remember, there were so many changes to the script, that the production team had to keep on ripping down sets, and making new ones. It's a wonder that Fincher managed to get any sort of decent film out of this mess.
    Regarding the fact that there were no guns battles in this film, this was all down to S.Weaver, who suggested that she didn't want to do another Aliens action type film, and that the prisoners would have to use their initiative, to find ways of defeating the creature.
    One good point of Alien3 that no one has mentioned, is that i think the soundtrack to the film was very good indeed, and it helped to create the feeling of dread in the film.
    mepal1 wrote: »
    One good point of Alien3 that no one has mentioned, is that i think the soundtrack to the film was very good indeed, and it helped to create the feeling of dread in the film.

I mentioned it a couple of posts up. A magnificent, broody score. It's really quite subtle for the first hour then absolutely goes full power for the last hour. The music during the final scene is incredible.

In fact, all four Alien films have had impressive soundtracks - despite no recurring motifs or themes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love what Fincher did with Alien³, especially considering that he hadn't even a finished script to work with. Rennie Harlin had been involved for a while, then Vincent Ward, but not much happened and the Fox execs, only concerned with meeting their tight schedules, hired the young David Fincher based on his commercials and music videos. Fincher, however, wasn't going to blindly follow orders; he was going to make a film and give it his all. The result, in my opinion, is a stunning effort, beautiful and mature. The problem? Bald dudes with thick British accents.

Or maybe no problem at all, because Alien³ performed very well oversees and ended up making almost as much money as its predecessors. Of course that small detail is easily overlooked by people who seem to think that our money isn't as good as American bucks.

People often blame Fincher for not making Alien 2.0 but just to make things clear: Sigourney Weaver didn't want to do this film unless they departed from marines, guns and aliens everywhere. She now acted as an executive producer and made her demands. Even if he had wanted to make another war in space movie, Fincher couldn't have.

Goldenthal's score, as some have already pointed out, is one of the best things of this film. I also love the designs, some of the performances (e.g. Charles Dance) and the camera work. The extended cut, by the way, is my favorite of the two.

Fox wasn't handling this property with love but with greed. They wanted Fincher to roll over, play ball, say "yes sir" and "no sir" and never object to anything. But Fincher is an artist. He creates things, he doesn't copy-paste them. Luckily, he got his revenge. Nowadays, david fincher is David Fincher! And David Fincher won't show up for Alien³ commentary stuff or interviews. And though I'm a fan of the movie and the series, I don't blame him.

By the way, what came after Alien³ saddens me. Based on a screenplay by Joss Whedon and directed by the goofy Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Alien Resurrection is half comedy, half fantasy and barely qualifies as a horror film. While I like some of Jeunet's movies, I wonder if it was ever a good choice to hire him for an alien film...

DarthDimi wrote: »
    By the way, what came after Alien³ saddens me. Based on a screenplay by Joss Whedon and directed by the goofy Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Alien Resurrection is half comedy, half fantasy and barely qualifies as a horror film. While I like some of Jeunet's movies, I wonder if it was ever a good choice to hire him for an alien film...

I didn't care for the fourth film either. I had never seen any of the Alien films before I bought the Blu-ray boxset a couple of years ago and watched them all over a weekend. The fourth one really stood out as being the odd film out in terms. Definitely a misstep for the franchise.

I liked them all except for the overblown Aliens.
  • A very welcome film after the disappointing Aliens. Probably Fincher s best film.
    I liked them all except for the overblown Aliens.
    What are your thoughts on Aliens? ;)
    I have to think about that
  • To each his own of course, but I have to admit you're the first person I've heard to rank it below even Resurrection.
    The problem I have with Alien³ is the same one I have with Alien 4; it's too Ripley centric. Sigourney Weaver's presence in the franchise is as pivotal as the title monster itself, which to me is just plain wrong. The other problem I have with these sequels is the development of the sequel. Some of the ideas that were knocked around for Alien³ such as Vincent Ward's 'wooden planet' or an insular colony of people calling themselves The Union of Progressive Peoples, were terrible to begin with.

Maybe the problem was that writer-producers David Giler and Walter Hill just weren't that enthused about making a third Alien movie? Though I did quite like one early concept, where Giler and Hill envisioned a story which would take place over two films. In the first, Michael Biehn would take the lead as Hicks, while Ripley would spend the entirety of the story in hypersleep and Newt would be sent back to the safety of Earth. The second film would have seen Ripley revived for another fight with her mortal enemy, the aliens. Okay, it's not a plot you can hang your hat on, but it's much better than what we got. It seems that Fox president Joe Roth just couldn't envisage an Alien movie without Ripley as its centrepiece, so the idea of Hicks helming one movie bit the dust pretty quickly. Shame.

I saw Alien³ at the cinema when it was first released in 1993 and I thoroughly disliked it then, and I still thoroughly dislike it now - Extended Cut or Whatever Cut you want to call it. I simply despise the story set in and around a penal colony with bald men, who all look the same and are pretty indistinguishable from each other. It also feels like a poor rehash of Alien all over again, with boring characters nobody cares about or can relate to, and an ending that seems "forced" on us. Despite Fincher's eye for a beautiful shot, the final result is a cluster****** of epic proportions. This is what happens when you let the survivor of the first movie, a certain Sigourney Weaver, have too much of a say about which direction the series should go in.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I remember it being a bit artsy & auteurish (but as I said, I only saw it over 20 yrs ago once).

On a side note, I also seem to recall the orange/yellow hue that pervaded SP being all over the film. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. The original Alien evoked the coldness & lonliness of space itself, while Aliens had a sort of bluish hue.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Maybe the problem was that writer-producers David Giler and Walter Hill just weren't that enthused about making a third Alien movie? Though I did quite like one early concept, where Giler and Hill envisioned a story which would take place over two films.
    I saw Hill in a live interview two years ago at the local filmfest, where he said his name is attached to the franchise purely for legal reasons, and denied to have anything to do with any Alien film after the first one or two.

bondsum wrote: »
    It also feels like a poor rehash of Alien all over again, with boring characters nobody cares about or can relate to, and an ending that seems "forced" on us. Despite Fincher's eye for a beautiful shot, the final result is a cluster****** of epic proportions. This is what happens when you let the survivor of the first movie, a certain Sigourney Weaver, have too much of a say about which direction the series should go in.
    While I don´t feel the same, I don´t find your point entirely wrong. There were times my feelings went into the same direction, except for the epic bit.

bondjames wrote: »
    I remember it being a bit artsy & auteurish (but as I said, I only saw it over 20 yrs ago once).
    I think it manages to keep that impression up to a certain extent. The artsy and auteurish element was the first thing that made the film interesting for me, and it still is the major reason for me to respect the film.

bondjames wrote: »
    On a side note, I also seem to recall the orange/yellow hue that pervaded SP being all over the film. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things. The original Alien evoked the coldness & lonliness of space itself, while Aliens had a sort of bluish hue.
    IIRC in Alien3 the orange hue feels kind of integral and contributes to the overall atmosphere, as does the green hue in Alien 4, whereas in SP it feels like a layer put over the film, with the effect of disturbing the atmosphere instead of enhancing it.

This was on television the other night and one thing that sticks out for me (aside from the great performances and wonderful sets) is the superb soundtrack.

Eerie, gothic, majestic and powerful.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>080
    </b>Your best picture oscar for 2015?</font>

The Big Short
    Bridge Of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

DarthDimi wrote: »
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>080
    </b>Your best picture oscar for 2015?</font>

The Big Short
    Bridge Of Spies
    Brooklyn
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

It has got to be "Room", for me. Have yet to see "The Big Short" yet, though. Most of the others are great films too, though. However, "The Revenant" did absolutely nothing for me. A bloated, self indulgent affair.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    'Mad Max: Fury Road'.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I haven't seen the Room or Brooklyn.

I've seen all the others, and The Revenant really blew me away. So that one gets my vote.

However, I'd be happy with The Martian, The Big Short or Bridge of Spies taking the honours also. MM-FR was very good, but I personally feel it was too action oriented a film for this honour. Spotlight was good, but I feel like I've seen that film before somewhere (there's something derivative about the reporter procedural to me).
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    They will play safe and go with Bridge Of Spies.
    Oscars 2016 Predictions

Best picture: Spotlight

Best leading actor: Leonardo Di Caprio

Best leading actress: Brie Larson

Best supporting actor: Sylvester Stallone

Best supporting actress: Alicia Vikander

Best director: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Best original screenplay: Spotlight

Best adapted screenplay: Room

Best animated feature: Inside Out

Best foreign picture: Saul Fia

Best cinematography: The Revenant

Best film editing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Production design: Mad Max: Fury Road

Costume design: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best makeup: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best original score: Ennio Morricone

Best original song: Sam Smith, Spectre

Best Sound mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best sound editing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best visual effects: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best documentary: Amy

Best documentary short: Last Day of Freedom

Best animated short: World of Tomorrow

Best live action short: Day One

For the first time since I can remember I actually want to see all the BP nominated movies, but haven't been given a chance, yet. I have only seen 5 - the other 3 haven't been released here. Brooklyn doesn't even have an official release date, yet. The Big Short I do expect to see in about 9 days (if it doesn't come to my local theatre then, I'll hop on a train...), and with any luck I might get to see Room before the Oscars night - it opens here 2 days before, but I'm not sure if I'd hop on the train for that...

Of the 5 that I have seen I loved MMFR. I need to see The Revenant again to make sure where I stand with it, but I did like it very much. Those two are my top 2 of the 5 I've seen.

I liked Spotlight a lot, but while it's good and well made and has an important story, it's not a movie that really needs to be seen on a big screen, I feel no need to re-watch it, and it wasn't particularly memorable in any way at all. I wanted to like The Martian, but I just couldn't, and it didn't work for me at all. Bridge Of Spies was more entertaining than I dared to expect from the trailer, well made and looked very good, but nothing amazing on the whole.

As for the actual winner, it seems to be a 3 movie race between The Big Short (PGA winner), Spotlight (SAG ensemble winner), and The Revenant (DGA winner). If anything else were to win BP it would be quite a shock and a huge surprise. One interesting aspect is also that unlike the other categories the BP is decided by preferential ballot (PGA also uses that).

MMFR and TBS have ACE wins, and most likely the editing Oscar will go to one of those two.

Looking forward to what WGA, ASC and BAFTA decide this Saturday and Sunday...
    AceHole wrote: »
    They will play safe and go with Bridge Of Spies.

They? The AMPAS? :-O That would be a hilariously unexpected event. =))
    Of those, I only saw MM and The Martian so far. Still hoping to see The Revenant. Bridge of Spies disappeared from here before I got the chance.

The Martian is a worthy contender, I guess.
    The Big Short
    Not in my book. But probably in that of a big part of the jury.

Bridge Of Spies
    I wouldn´t mind. But there was at least one better film.

Brooklyn
    Haven´t seen.

Yes, definitely. Direction, script, cinematography, characters, storytelling, content, this is the winner.

The Martian
    A masterclass lesson in turning a situation that is per definitionem extremely boring into two-and-a-half hours of non-stop entertainment. But no contender for the Oscar for best film.

The Revenant
    No. Cinematography, direction, acting, yes, it´s all great. But I wouldn´t give an Oscar two a two-and-a-half hour depiction of a freezing hell.

Room
    No idea. Maybe I´ll watch it some day.

Spotlight
    Never heard of it.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,453
    karvan-cevitam-framboos.jpg

The Razzie nomation for story who is written whyle there drink one glass of limonade is....

SPECTRE for Bond his biggest secret that mainvillian is
    his stepbrother and that this stepbrother kill his own father
    because Bond whas his stepfather apple.. Nothing about his step mother, but if we can vergot some card from Skyfall then.. this also not inportent..

Serious i think movie should get atleast Razzie nomation. I expect the worse from this secret, but this is also not realy.. I don't know. If not this secret, then atleast for what there not did with Denbirgh.
    Puur fruit case closed.
    Careful, @Thunderfinger. You don't want to step on any Puur Fruit toes here. Wars were started for less...
    I found this game absolutely hilarious. Played it twice so far, and couldn't stop laughing. Got lots of awards, still no Oscar...

http://redcarpetrampage.com/