FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek Beyond!
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Ice Age 5
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    Star Trek Beyond!

This looks like a boatload of fun, was pretty surprised at how horrible the fan reactions were to it. Then again - and this will be a sin to some - I never grew up watching the television series and never had a large interest in it, so it's tough for me to say that this isn't what a 'Star Trek' movie should or shouldn't be.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Star Trek Beyond!

This looks like a boatload of fun, was pretty surprised at how horrible the fan reactions were to it. Then again - and this will be a sin to some - I never grew up watching the television series and never had a large interest in it, so it's tough for me to say that this isn't what a 'Star Trek' movie should or shouldn't be.
    That´s a healthy attitude. Even fans of the old series shouldn´t be bothered by good new films, no matter how close or far they are from the source material.
    What did bother me in the trailer was that once more the Enterprise seems to be destroyed. I´m still waiting for a film that immerses me in the Enterprise as much as Die Hard immersed me in the Nakatomi Plaza. Oops, that was blown up too...

My one complaint was the song usage in the trailer - totally didn't fit at all, which seems to be a common problem a lot of films and film trailers seem to have these days.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    it's tough for me to say that this isn't what a 'Star Trek' movie should or shouldn't be.
    Simple- there's stuff with Shatner AND Nimoy, then there's everything else.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm a bit of a passing Star Trek fan. Some films interest me, and others don't.

I thought the reboot Star Trek (2009) was decent enough, but remember not being happy with Into the Darkness at all (I can't remember why because I only saw it once in the theatre). Essentially I haven't quite bought into these new character depictions of old favourites (I'm not sold on the reboot in other words) - they almost appear like alternative universe replicas without screen gravitas, especially Kirk & Spock.

My favourite still remains the original Star Trek (1979) film. I found it dull when I first saw it but it's really grown on me since, especially the magnificent visuals and almost ethereal score. My 2nd favourite now was actually my favourite when younger, namely The Wrath of Khan. The Search for Spock killed the original franchise for me and I didn't see any more until the reboot.

The trailer for this new one didn't do anything for me, and I agree that the song stank.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Search for Spock killed the original franchise for me and I didn't see any more until the reboot.
    Not the biggest fan of The Search For Spock here, but The Voyage Home & The Undiscovered Country are pretty Good. Those two & The Motion Picture are my three faves.
    But nothing's better than the series IMO.
    Just so I'm not confused, 'Star Trek' is the series with the lightsabers, right? And the car that can take them back to the future and stuff? And the little raccoon guy that's part of their team, alongside his tree friend? And the doctor and the telephone booth and stuff? That's the same series, right, guys? R-right?...
    Just so I'm not confused, 'Star Trek' is the series with the lightsabers, right? And the car that can take them back to the future and stuff? And the little raccoon guy that's part of their team, alongside his tree friend? And the doctor and the telephone booth and stuff? That's the same series, right, guys? R-right?...
    @Creasy47, you should take your Xanax now, dear ;;) .
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    boldfinger wrote: »
    @Creasy47, you should take your Xanax now, dear ;;) .

Very correct.
    Star Trek Beyond!

Yeah, It's pretty much expected that anything Abrams is involved with Trek wise is automatically fed to the slaughter. I tell you, the insanity I saw on Star Trek fan pages on facebook almost made me be ashamed of being a Trek fan. And when I'd try to have civil discussions I would just be met with an army of assholes that make touchmybuttons look like a saint. I ultimately unliked that page but at least the TrekBBS forum offers a nice place for discussions regarding the Reboot era and all Trek in general. I know not everyone is going to like it but for the last few years some fans have been complaining about a lack of exploration on new planets and Yet Beyond offers us exploration on a new planet and BAH!!! KIRK'S ON A MOTOR CYCLE!!! IT'S GOING TO BE FAST AND FURIOUS MEETS STAR TREK. ugh I hate seeing it.
    KIRK'S ON A MOTOR CYCLE!!! IT'S GOING TO BE FAST AND FURIOUS MEETS STAR TREK.
    Basically, no?
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    KIRK'S ON A MOTOR CYCLE!!! IT'S GOING TO BE FAST AND FURIOUS MEETS STAR TREK.
    Basically, no?
    :))
    You tell me.
    azvuQTB.jpg
    You tell me.
    azvuQTB.jpg
    Easy Starfleet Rider.....
    I am still trying to catch up on 2015 movies!!! :))
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I am still trying to catch up on 2015 movies!!! :))

Me too
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>077
    </b>You love the scores, you hate the films. Name them.</font>

• edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    Haha, good one, @DD :-)). Where do you want me to start?

I guess the untoppable top is Cherry 2000. Basil Poledouris at the top of his game delivers a mix of his favorite 3 Ms, Mozart, Morricone and Moroder, that is pure bliss.
    The film somewhat jumps on the 80s post-apocalyptic bandwagon, and, while in theory amusing, falls flatter than a hedgehog scraped from a truck tyre. Especially Melanie Griffith speaks her lines as if she were in her first rehearsal. Perhaps the film is intended to be watched while stoned.

Staying with Poledouris for a moment. While I wouldn´t say I hate Conan the Barbarian, it´s not a film that beckons me. The score however is pure testosterone. I recommend the three-disc Intrada edition containing the complete score. If you can´t get that anymore, try for the 16 track Varese Sarabande version. Once you heard one of those two, the most commonly available Milan edition will appear lacking.

Flesh and Blood is also one of those films not really beckoning me, yet Poledouris´ score more than makes up for that. Not as much testosterone as Conan, but a lot more lyricism and variety.

Jerry Goldsmith contributes his lovely share next to Poledouris:
    Rambo 3. What a great soundtrack. I stayed awake half the night once because Rambo 3 was announced for a late night screening. I thought if I love the music so much, the film can´t be all that bad. Hardly ever did I have such a hard time staying awake during a film.

Not sure about Rambo 2, because I didn´t see it again since its theatrical release, but the score is great.

First Blood doesn´t make it on my list, because the film is pretty good.

I´m not sure either whether or not I hate King Solomon´s Mines, but again the music is fantastic.

I had a chance to catch parts of The First Knight on tv over xmas, and it looked horrendous. I´m not sure how much it is meant to be a parody. My sister just quipped, "well, Richard Gere is in it". The score on CD doesn´t sound like a parody at all. It is not for nothing that Goldsmith said it´s one of his most important works.

Poor Jerry. His Timeline score got substituted for a Bryan Tyler score. Well, at least it didn´t go down like the dud of a film, but instead got a proper CD release, if years later. Like 1st Knight, one of the best knight scores.

Do I hate Mad Max beyond Thunderdome? Well, at least it disappoints a lot compared to the first two Maxes. However the CD release of Maurice Jarre´s soundtrack is one of the best film soundtracks ever recorded. Yes, it´s that good.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    300 and Rocky V.
    Rambo 2 & 3, definitely.
    Hmmm The only movie I can say I hated was Battleship but I can't think of it's soundtrack. :P

I didn't care for the Star Wars prequels or Kingsman the Secret Service but they do have good film scores.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2016 Posts: 8,038
    Batman and Robin takes the crown for this question, for me.

Superb Goldenthal score. Woeful, horrible, terrible movie.
    Batman and Robin takes the crown for this question, for me.

Superb Goldenthal score. Woeful, horrible, terrible movie.

Oh man agreed! I can't believe I forgot about that one.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Moonraker is all that comes to mind at the moment ...
    AvP 2
    It really is a disappointing movie but I love the score. Very powerful.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    Goldsmith's score is truly excellent. The movie, however... *makes stinky nose*
    American Gigolo has a terrific score but I just can't watch the movie...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    American Grafitti.
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>078
    </b>Steven Seagal: great, abysmal, guilty pleasure, ...?</font>
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Guilty pleasure for me.

Whenever some real nasty creeps show up in a Seagal movie, just wait for it! They always get their comeuppance.