FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 1,595
    The Terminator. I think it's a masterpiece.

Then T2 which is one of the best action movies of all-time. Then Aliens which is overrated but still excellent. Then True Lies. Then the quality drops significantly. Titanic isn't very good and neither is Avatar.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @haserot, we think completely alike, sir.
    Even with a low budget, it's not too difficult to get great practical effects for zombies. The modern zombie aesthetic, often achieved with a little make-up and a lot of CGI, just doesn’t look like it used to. It used to be about half devoured bodies; now they look like Stephen Sommers’ mummies. When a zombie gets shot, it used to be effective and convincing; nowadays they want zombies to explode like grenades. The power of a zombie film is in its grittiness but too many zombie films these days look cartoonish. A zombie has to be flesh, not plastic.
    Romero’s DOTD sends mixed messages. On the one hand, it’s a serious step back from LOTD in terms of budget, and it shows. That’s not a bad thing though for clearly Romero’s creativity peaks when he has smaller budgets. Like you said, it was his chance to win us back by going slightly retro, both in terms of the story and the filmmaking. On the other hand, DOTD wants to appeal to the Internet user, the daily YouTube uploader, the ‘modern’ film viewer. He tries to be satirical about such people though, about the ones who record events and pretend they do so for the sake of mankind when in fact all they want is to get famous. Yet the very tools he uses for that are the ones he attacks in his story. It’s weird. I don’t think Romero’s Dead films will ever reach the heights of Night and Dawn again.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
    Terminator 2, Terminator 1 and True Lies.

Damn that Arnie/Cameron partnership.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Terminator
    Aliens
    T2

True Lies

Titanic

I'm surprised I haven't seen much of his work.
    True Lies is a better Bond pastiche than a lot of the actual Bond movies/
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    (deleted)
    HASEROT wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

is there any truth to the rumor that the script for True Lies came out of the script for fabled Bond 17 which was to be Dalton's 3rd movie?

I loved the part with Jamie lee Curtis as the wife in search of excitement, that alone and the involvement of the whole family is prove enough that it would never be suited for any Dalton movie of the 007 variety. I would say.
    @haserot, great review of the Dead films. Survival,... yes. I swear when I started watching that film, I told myself it COULDN'T get worse than Diary. Then Captain Iglo came on...

81B971FEB4AD3B111D7266B87424F.jpg

to sell me on zombies rather than fishsticks this time.

My reaction? This:

021.jpg

HASEROT wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

is there any truth to the rumor that the script for True Lies came out of the script for fabled Bond 17 which was to be Dalton's 3rd movie?

To be honest I'm not sure.
    I see all the love for T2 but I always preferred the first Terminator to the second. It was a simple storyline and well done.
    As for Aliens, this was quite a roller coaster ride. While the first one by Ridley Scott as a straight horror tale, the sequel was stricly kick ass adventure. Those colonial Marines were harbingers of the macho guys in Predator.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It's funny. A lot of people prefer Aliens over Alien and T1 over T2 I've noticed. I'm the other way round. I think Ridley Scott's film is by far the best Alien flick. As for T2 it is cheesy in places but develops on the first one and holds up better.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I definitely prefer the first Alien film in that series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I definitely prefer the first Alien film in that series.
    I love the first one, but it's got all the standard wait! don't do that- hey- you're alone, don't go in there type stuff... :))
  • I like the first Alien best as well. It's one of my favorite films of all time. And I think for the most part the "don't go in there alone" type stuff happens when the alien is still thought to be the size of a ferret. ;)

I'll save my musings on the tetralogy for a separate thread and a separate time, but for now, I'll go all you Alien fans a step further and boldly admit I like David Fincher's Alien 3 second best!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 372
    Aliens
    (deleted)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm admitting this now: I enjoyed Survival of the Dead for the wacky humor.
    (deleted)
    @haserot: epic! :D

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>016</b>
    What's your favourite film decade in terms of aesthetic?</font></center>
  • 30s, 60s and 70s
    I would have to say the 70s. Many 70s films look raw and dirty, using grainy film stock and experimenting with light. Take Jaws for example. I saw it once after some kind of Blu-Ray clean-up job; well, it looked much too pristine and unnatural for me. I prefer spots and scratches on my prints, they authenticate the film as a piece of film history. When 70s films get cleaned too much, they no longer feel like 70s films. Rather, they feel out of place, like a fish out of water, a 70s film with 21st century ambitions, like grandpa swinging on Justin Bieber instead of Elvis.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This one.
  • Without a doubt, the 70's.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Camerons best is a toss up between Aliens and the first two Terminator films for me.

The asthetic question is interesting. I'm tempted to say 60s because there are some amazing looking Westerns from that decade, and some of the Bond films from there look amazing too.

I'm probably gonna have to go with the 80s though (which I think is the best decade for films). 80s action films and slasher films have an overall asthetic I just love. The amazing looking practical special effects, the slightly grainy screen, the music, the sound effects, etc. It's hard to describe so I'll put it this way: watch the original Die Hard and then the last two Die Hard films. It just feels really different, you can really tell when you're watching an 80s action movie even if it's not actually set in the 80s. There's just a sort of vibe you get from them, an overall asthetic that I really like.

One of the reasons Licence To Kill is my favourite Bond film is because it has this asthetic, this 80s action movie atmosphere.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The 1970's.
    The 70's. We had some great films that decade and yes they grainy look and the gritty realism to them. We also had great composers who gave it their all during this decade.
    The Godfather
    Shaft
    Dirty Harry
    The Sting
    The Omen
    Star Wars
    Jaws

and so on and so forth ...

I love all this love for the lovely 70s.

With love!
    DD
    :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The 80's. Perfect Decade for film. It gave us Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future, Wrath of Khan, The Terminator, Licence to Kill, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Death Wish 3, Robocop and many more! ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I'm tempted to say 70's because a lot of good, dark, non-PC stuff was coming out, but the 80's just kept pumping one great one out after another.
    Yeah, 80's.