FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

• edited September 2014 Posts: 1,310
    Very minor one, but:

The phone/pager/intercom/alarm/fill-in-the-blank will not begin ringing until someone has finished their line (which usually concludes a conversation).

Happens in even the best films, but I know I'm just a bit OCD.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    SaintMark wrote: »
    not directly annoying but funny nonetheless:

11- Any person waking from a nightmare will automatically sit bolt upright and pant.

17- Heroes never face charges for manslaughter or criminal damage after laying waste to the city during high speed chases and shooting it out in public.
    All of these were great @SaintMark but you picked out 2 of my top 3 pet hates.
    I have never sat bolt upright after a nightmare and don't know anyone who does.

In the last Die Hard McClaine rode over the top of the vehicles on a busy motorway, crushing them as he went. No recrimination for the damage nor the deaths that this action would have caused.

My third pet hate is that when the hero is creeping around a dark room there is always a cat that will leap out and yowl as loudly as possible. I have had cats all my life and the only time one made that awful noise was when I stood on it's tail.
    NicNac wrote: »

In the last Die Hard McClaine rode over the top of the vehicles on a busy motorway, crushing them as he went. No recrimination for the damage nor the deaths that this action would have caused.

Watch Bad Boys 2 and you'll wonder why the heck Smith and Co are still walking around freely.
    NicNac wrote: »
    My third pet hate is that when the hero is creeping around a dark room there is always a cat that will leap out and yowl as loudly as possible. I have had cats all my life and the only time one made that awful noise was when I stood on it's tail.

The best moment in Species ;) , and that says all about the movie you need to know.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    17- Heroes never face charges for manslaughter or criminal damage after laying waste to the city during high speed chases and shooting it out in public.
    All of these were great @SaintMark but you picked out 2 of my top 3 pet hates.
    I have never sat bolt upright after a nightmare and don't know anyone who does.

Brosnan's Bond was very lucky after the events of GE ;) At least they showed the police clambering out of their cars after Bond had crushed them...unlike DH5
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Foreigners conversating in English with their foreign accents.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189

But that happens in quite a few Bond films:

Klebb and Tanya in FRWL
    Anya and Gogol in TSWLM
    Gogol and Orlov in OP
    Boris and Natalya in GE
    Gustav Graves and Zao in DAD

I've never really had a problem with this. Personally I'd prefer it to lengthy subtitled sequences. I've no problems with subtitles in other films, but with Bond it just feels a bit off for me and takes away some of the enjoyment.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »

But that happens in quite a few Bond films:

Klebb and Tanya in FRWL
    Anya and Gogol in TSWLM
    Gogol and Orlov in OP
    Boris and Natalya in GE
    Gustav Graves and Zao in DAD

I've never really had a problem with this. Personally I'd prefer it to lengthy subtitled sequences. I've no problems with subtitles in other films, but with Bond it just feels a bit off for me and takes away some of the enjoyment.

This is a phenomenon that I have only witnessed in English speaking films. I wonder why. It would sound absolutely absurd in films from anywhere else. Two Englishmen speaking Norwegian with English accents in a Norwegian film? Forget about it.
    I think we've just grown accustom to it. Technically this scene should be completely subtitled:

But the fact that it isn't doesn't matter as the acting is very good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    It drives me a little nuts, actually. Just subtitle it.
    The worst offender on this is Firefox (I love the film), sometimes subtitled, sometimes not, Eastwood speaks Russian to Russians, and a minute later it's English with no Russian accent while Russians speak back to him in English WITH Russian accents...WTF?
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,691
    На прошлой неделе двойной пост!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 372
    - Too much digital effects, which goes for every Hollywood movie these days.
    - Remakes, if I can add that here.
    - Movies set in foreign countries and people speak English instead of their native language.
    - Historical inaccuray.
    - Dumb action sequences.
    - Movies shot on digital film.
    - Teenagers who hate their parents.
    - Style over substance.
    - Dumb female heroines and the movies they're in (Twilight, Red Riding Hood, The Fault in our Stars, Divergent, etc.)
    - Unoriginal sex scenes.
    - Easy computer hacking.
    - Corny dialogue.
    - Comedies starring Adam Sandler.
    - Focus on white actors (like that movie set in Japan which centers on the only Western white family living there) or when when white Americans play for example Mexicans.
    - Mentally tortured males who act very philosophical and womanize a lot.
    - Ensemble cast holiday movies.
    - When models or people from the music industry play parts in movies.
    - Cynical 'out of the ordinary' kids.
    - When someone says something in supposedly complicated language and people ask them to say what they really mean 'in English' or something like that, followed by a corny simplification of what was previously said.
    - Workout montages and the protagonist gets really buff in just a few shots.
    - When someone has nearly completed something but his/her plans are ruined.
    - People who leave the water running when they're about to check something out. i get that the sound creates tension but it's still annoying.
    - When people stand and wait for something suspicious to happen and then something suddenly happens and they're like RUUUNNN and other movie cliches.
    - People just shoving their food around.
    - When characters' appearances are unaffected by all the action tehy went theough.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    -Poorly casted protagonists.
    -Unrelatable characters.
    -Generic bland music scores.
    -Eye rolling inducing plot twists.
    -Strawman villainy.
    -no consequences to big action.
    -reboot/remakes that don't really try anything different but rather just rehash a good story badly.
    -bad comedies.
    -preachy films.
    -unoriginality.
    Thunderfinger hit it right on the nose about people speaking English with their accents. I guess many directors think audiences are too lazy and stupid to bother with reading subtitles. Such horsecrap.

The Hunt for Red October handled this well, by having the crew speak Russian (with English Subtitles) and gradually turn into English without Russian accents. The scene where the two submarine crews meet, Connery and the rest of the "Russians" were speaking in Russian.
    Bryan Singer used the same ploy for "Valkyrie".

Why more directors and films refuse to do this is beyond me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @OHMSS69, correct! One of the things I like about The Longest Day is that they really cast British, American, French and German actors to perform in their native language.

Another thing I hate in films is when the fridge is left open. Pretty bad example for our children who we train to always close the fridge asap.
    When the tv is turned on and the appropriate news item is always playing.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Post Independence Day Roland Emmerich
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    When the tv is turned on and the appropriate news item is always playing.

Like CNN on in a Turkey beach bar? ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>018</b>
    What's your favourite Stanley Kubrick film?</font></center>
    2001: A Space Odyssey.
    That was easy.
  • The Shining.

That was even easier. :D
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Definitely Dr Strangelove, and Clockwork Orange is way up there.

But I didn't think much of Full Metal Jacket or 2001: A Space Odyssey. Sorry @DarthDimi!

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    A Clockwork Orange gets my vote.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hard to say, as I don't think I've seen all of them (and I don't want to see A Clockworld Orange). But I'll go with The Shining.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Shining.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The Shining and 2001 are the only two films of his I've seen. I've never seen him as that special a director, and none of his other films interested.
    I've never seen him as that special a director, and none of his other films interested.
    Not a student of film, I take it? (Not a dig, just a query)
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,341
    Dr Strangelove
    Great satire and lots of laughs.
    A Clockwork Orange (now thats a morally corrupt film for you!)

OHMSS69 wrote: »
    Dr Strangelove
    Great satire and lots of laughs.
    One of the best satire/comedies ever made.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    A Clockwork Orange (now thats a morally corrupt film for you!)
    Beautifully photographed reprehensibility. But it *DID* spark my appreciation for lovely lovely Ludwig Van.
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I've never seen him as that special a director, and none of his other films interested.
    Not a student of film, I take it? (Not a dig, just a query)

I just... I saw bits and pieces of Full Metal Jacket, and it didn't seem all that good to me. Never saw A Clockwork Orange or Dr. Strangelove, but they didn't look like they were for me, though I told myself I'd watch Dr. Strangelove if it were on TCM one of these days. I watched The Shining as a Stephen King fan and 2001 as an Arthur C Clarke fan, but Kubrick just doesn't impress me the same way Francis Ford Coppola or Brian de Palma do.
    I watched The Shining as a Stephen King fan and 2001 as an Arthur C Clarke fan, but Kubrick just doesn't impress me the same way Francis Ford Coppola or Brian de Palma do.
    Fair to say; Kubrick demonstrated a clinical precision that I understand can put some off. Thanks for the response. But DO try Strangelove at some point, I think you'll be amused.