FANTASTILICIOUS FUN FOR FILM FANS 089: your top 10's of 2020 and most anticipated films of 2021?

Comments

As a somewhat older person I would say that the '30's & '40's did bring quite a huge amount of great cinema. Which is not is not surprising as it had no competition from other mediums like television.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    As a somewhat older person I would say that the '30's & '40's did bring quite a huge amount of great cinema. Which is not is not surprising as it had no competition from other mediums like television.
    Spot on. I did not consider decades before my lifetime. The 30's were by far the "Golden Age". It had the mammoth stars, fantastic music, and some all time classics came out during this decade:
    King Kong
    The Thin Man
    It Happened one Night
    Beau Geste
    Wizard of OZ
    Gone with the Wind
    Just to name a few....
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Picking one decade is difficult. For asthetics, for me:
    I'll say the 40's.

Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    The Maltese Falcon
    It's a Wonderful Life
    The Third Man
    Rope
    Rebecca
    National Velvet
    To Have and Have Not
    The Big Sleep
    The Best Years of our Lives
    The Philadelphia Story
    Red River
    Miracle on 34th Street (my favorite)
    His Girl Friday
    Twelve o'clock High
    On The Town (How I love Gene Kelly!)
    The Bishop's Wife
    I Remember Mama

... and others.

Not only some of my favorite films, but the way they were shot ... the direction and cinematography, editing, all of it: yes, I'll go with the '40s as my favorite decade.
    But 60's and 70's are close.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My #1 science fiction film? 80's. (Blade Runner)
    Favourite Bond Film- 80's. (TLD)
    Favourite schmaltzy tissue-necessary chick movie- 80's. (Somewhere In Time)
    Favourite comedy? 80's. (Ghostbusters)
    Too many favourites in one decade...
    Well, I just watched the final cut of Blade Runner last night, and I just want to say it is so magnificent. My favorite sci fi film ever. Beautifully, amazingly shot; well directed.
    Well, I just watched the final cut of Blade Runner last night, and I just want to say it is so magnificent. My favorite sci fi film ever. Beautifully, amazingly shot; well directed.
    All versions of it are great, but the final cut excises the wonderfully drab film-noir narration by Ford that makes it feel so 40's & 50's Chandler to me...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    (deleted)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 7,570
    I have to be difficult here, which is quite normal.

I chose the decade 1967-1976.

Starting from Bonnie & Clyde and The Graduate, all the way through to the year prior to Star Wars (when everything changed).

It was a time when the maverick young directors like Altman, Scorsece and Coppola were cut loose, stars like Robert de Niro, Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman were at the peak of their art. Films were interesting, challanging and stimulating.

Mind you @4EverBonded has made me think 1940s!! Mmmmmmm
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to go with the seventies. I'm so close to taking the eighties. It's to darn hard to choose. Can I have a tie?
    I'll forfeit. X_X
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Great choices, folks! I'm glad to see so much praise for the 70s and the 40s. ;-)

<center><font color=#E9AB17 size=6><b>017</b>
    Things that typically annoy you in films.</font></center>[/quote]

Okay, why do people forget about the breaks in their cars when something happens? Something flies against the window. Someone pulls out a gun. We hit something. Whatever! Cars in movies keep driving, for half a mile or more, steering left and right, or halfway into a corn field. Now, I understand the element of shock and reflex and response time and whatnot, but seriously, hit the breaks! If the car stops, you no longer need to steer...

How come every American family in certain films has a kid in wheel chair, a dog and another kid playing baseball, something one or both of the parents choose to ignore because their career comes first? I understand such families exist; I understand we need such families in some stories. But I have seen them a couple of times too often. At the merest sign of another such family, I walk out.

Do parents really have these lengthy bed time conversations with their kids in real life? I mean, all the time? How many more kids must I endure in films who are anxious about something, worried or uncertain, so that a loving mother or father can first talk some fairy tale nonsense into them and then hug them and then say "you sleep well now, okay" - "okay, mommy!" - "okay." Look, it's not cute anymore when every episode of Boy Meets World, Family Matters and Full House has given us this scene. Many films have done so too. We got it now, thank you. This stuff is boring.

When non-superheroes survive s**t that would KILL Olympic athletes. Over the years the 'disregard for physics' ante has been upped to the point that every action hero must be some sort of mutant with adamantium bones & healing powers. The first time I REALLY noticed it was way back in Die Hard With A Vengeance when Zeus & McClane fell thirty feet & landed on their backs on a steel deck and somehow escaped getting broken ribs & cracked skulls...
    @chrisisall, agreed. That moment in DH3 was a serious mistake. The film should be called Survival: Impossible for that reason alone.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Probably more than anything: When a girl runs away from anything/anyone dangerous and falls down. Especially if she stays down. Or if she walks into an obviously dangerous area with all the savvy of a baby rabbit.

Yeah, that's me shouting at the screen "Get up! Stop being so **?!** stupid!" or "Get away! Stop being so **?!** stupid!" I'm really more than fed up with that and have been for decades.
    @DarthDimi, I remember the good old days like in Le Mans when a dude crashed his race car, and was so dazed he could barely get out of it before it caught fire. Today you crash a car, hop right out of it & jump into another and keep on going. :P
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,189
    When actors break the fourth wall in films. Makes me want to rip my hair out.
    the constant remaking of movies from recent years or of Non-American origin into an US popcorn of arthouse flick, while the majority of times not adding any quality or new insight.
    Vampire hunters who insist on hunting at night. That is when nightwalkers are at their strongest, yet people always do this. For dramatic effect because it makes no sense whatsoever. Though not vampires but in Chronicles of Riddick in the previews we see the military guy tells his people who are searching for Riddick, "Be careful this guy sees in the dark". Then in the next scene they are in the dark hunting Riddick.
    Come on!
    I so agree with everybody's comments so far.

In the same league as the stupid girl, OHMSS69. So stupid it becomes an insult to the audience sometimes.

@4EverBonded, yes, indeed. :D I also like how they call it out in Scream. Why does the girl run upstairs when she should just run outside? :)

@OHMSS69, very true, sir! I noticed this too.

Another of my complaints is the gratuitous sex scene. Don't get me wrong, a sex scene can serve many purposes. However, few things are as annoying as a sex scene with absolutely no purpose at all.

One of the best examples of this is in the hilariously bad Uwe Boll film "Alone In The Dark". Tara Reid and Christian Slater are having a vomit inducing conversation about some ancient artefacts or whatever and then suddenly we get a hard cut to the two of them in bed having sex. Like there's half a reel of film missing. Even worse is that they selected Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry's 7 Seconds song to go with it. Neneh Cherry once said that "7 Seconds tells about first seven seconds in the life of a newborn, arguably unaware of problems in the world." Yes, excellent song for a meaningless sex scene...
    Who wants to be alone in the dark with Tara Reid, or even have sexual relations with her? Any song is wasted on her. ;)
    Good one, @SaintMark. :D

I can imagine though that in 2005, Tara Reid was still somewhat bankable. ;-)
    I am always highly amused by sex scenes with sheets that keep covering all the nudity, I have never managed to do that while I were in the midst of some passionate display of athletics of the bedroom variety.

And more often than not they add nothing to the story anyway but for some puritan reason does raise the age limit while grotesque violence does not. Makes you want to swear but you better not because that raises the age limit as well. I'd rather have my kids see breasts or a bum than brains shattered in slow motion.
    Indeed, sir. Some of the steamiest sex is at best implied by the prudish filmmakers of the even more prudish MPAA. Why bother then?

Then again, in 300 we see King Leonidas going all Kamasutra on the Queen, presenting a needless amount of physical affection given the fact that the sex itself is never brought up again. A tender kiss would have gotten the message through.

Basic Instinct, by comparison, has some use for the sex. The constant threat of murder and the extreme libidos of Douglas and Stone are actual parts of the story.
    Another one of my peeves: Vomiting.
    in the vein of @SaintMark, I'd rather see bare breasts than someone vomiting. we see more and more of this. How many times have you been watching not just a movie but your favorite televison show, eating dinner or popcorn and then there it is on the screen. You want to vomit yourself.
    not directly annoying but funny nonetheless:

1- If being stalked by a serial killer, women should investigate any strange noises wearing their most revealing underwear.
    2- If being chased by authorities, you can usually take cover in a passing parade (St. Patrick's, etc.) any time of the year.
    3- All grocery shopping bags contain at least one stick of French bread.
    4- A private eye will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating, but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
    5- The chief of police is always wrong.
    6- During all police investigations, it will be necessary to visit a strip club at least once.
    7- Cars and trucks that crash almost always burst into flames. (also known as "The Simpsons Rule")
    8- Stripping to the waist makes a man invulnerable to bullets (commonly referred to as "The Willis Rule")
    9- If a killer is lurking in your house, it's easy enough to find him. Just relax and take a bath - even if it's the middle of the afternoon.
    10- A single match is sufficient to light up a room the size of the Astrodome.
    11- Any person waking from a nightmare will automatically sit bolt upright and pant.
    12- One man shooting at 20 men has a better chance of killing them than do the 20 men shooting at him.
    13- Creepy music coming from a graveyard or basement should always be closely investigated.
    14- Most people keep a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, especially if any of their family or friends have died in strange boating accidents.
    15- Police departments give their officers personality tests to insure officers are assigned partners who are their complete opposites.
    16- It doesn't matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts -- your enemies will politely and patiently wait to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessor.
    17- Heroes never face charges for manslaughter or criminal damage after laying waste to the city during high speed chases and shooting it out in public.
    18- You can always find a chainsaw whenever you need one.
    19- All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red readouts so you know exactly when they're going to go off (another interesting fact: bombs can only be defused within 10 seconds of detonation).
    20- Guns are like disposable razors - if you run out of bullets, throw the gun away. You can always find another one (this is apparently one of the American Amendments...the second?)
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    =)) Oh, these are priceless!

I especially like this one: 4- A private eye will show no pain while taking the most ferocious beating, but will wince when a woman tries to clean his wounds.
    @SaintMark, with that, you've earned your pay for the week. :)) =)) =D>
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Post credits scenes. My ass has already been numb for two and a half hours, AND I have to sit through the credits?
    Post credits scenes. My ass has already been numb for two and a half hours, AND I have to sit through the credits?

I always sit through the credits as long as the music is compelling or if it's a Marvel film... ;)