It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

My partner's putting away all the breakables on Saturday night just in case England get hard done by. ;-)
    This is simply getting ridiculous! I I gather one of the main problems is,that they allow people to hold the pipe,that come from rather low class leagues. To combat the worst it would be a good idea to allow only referees at the World Cup,that are allowed to rule champions league games.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm starting to wonder whether we're just spoilt in Europe. I know we get the odd clanger here and there but that's 4 decisions in the first two games that could and would have changed the course of the respective game. It's not good enough, it's the World Cup. Not the Johnson's Paint Trophy.
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm starting to wonder whether we're just spoilt in Europe. I know we get the odd clanger here and there but that's 4 decisions in the first two games that could and would have changed the course of the respective game. It's not good enough, it's the World Cup. Not the Johnson's Paint Trophy.

Have you seen the pitch our lads are playing on tomorrow night? You'll find better pitches in the Conference!
    I think all this do not mean that the results will be better for sure, but you can easily imagine the drawbacks.
    Dozens of high-level football matches have been played with five referees (1 main + 2 on the sides + 2 near each goal, to, guess what, focus on fouls that could create penalties). In Champions League for several years for instance. The consequence : less and less leadership. The main referee relies on the other referees, but the other referees often do not dare to say he's dead wrong. And any injustice feel stronger than before since now you feel several referees are against you. Now they're back to 3 referees, and the 2 sides one are there mostly because you need to be on the sides to judge the off-side line.
    As for 2 minutes or 5 minutes off-field, IMO it could very well mean you would have more and more players trying to do "clever fouls" that are worth it, to stop an opportunity. Football is a game where you can be 10 against 11 and only defend for five minutes, that's not as severe as in hockey I think.
    After the game video punishment is a good thing, though, and it does exist a bit.

stop complaining and look at other sports how they do it and take the best ideas. However the first thing is re-educating the players, only the captain should be allowed to talk to the referee and the rest an immediate yellow card, time penalties. With hockey this week I have seen two referees and they support each other and if needed confer.
    Too often I hear about the wrongness of referees but all the right decisions get no credit, and they are often more right than wrong.

Football with the current state of refereeing will only lead to more aggression and decisions that will costs countries and clubs money.

this game between Mexico & Cameroon does prove the need for a video referee, who in all cases checks for off-side or other irregularities when it comes to goal attempts and penalties.
    Hope the Netherlands and England don't get ripped off by the referee. To be honest, if it's going to be any two teams that will have a game deciding decision go against them, it's those two. I predict 2-1 to the Dutch tonight, revenge for the 2010 final and tomorrow I predict a lovely 2-2 draw for England, providing a good platform for the other matches.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Hope the Netherlands and England don't get ripped off by the referee. To be honest, if it's going to be any two teams that will have a game deciding decision go against them, it's those two. I predict 2-1 to the Dutch tonight, revenge for the 2010 final and tomorrow I predict a lovely 2-2 draw for England, providing a good platform for the other matches.

Now you've lost me completely...
    jobo wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:

Now you've lost me completely...

What do you mean?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You lost me completely the moment this thread started.
    No idea what to expect from Holland tonight, going for a Spain win 1 - 0.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 908
    My tip is a solid 2:1 for the Netherlands. I just can't see how van Persie and Robben (especially the latter) should not score.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Just my opinion, but I don't think that was a penalty, another bad call by the refs.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Just my opinion, but I don't think that was a penalty, another bad call by the refs.
    Big this!
    Looks as though Costas heal was clipped, tough to see from angle they showed.
  • I remember a time when representing your country was a privilege. All about the money now though.
    In Cameroon, it's all about the money going to corrupt officials instead. It gives another meaning to the protests IMO.

• Sammm04 wrote:
    Hope the Netherlands and England don't get ripped off by the referee..
    England does Kick and Rush
    Netherlands does Kickbox and Rush
    So the referee who are told to protect the juego buenito may indeed be against them, but in the long term, that's good for every one :)

Sammm04 wrote:
    So the referee who are told to protect the juego buenito may indeed be against them, but in the long term, that's good for every one :)

As opposed to the French who will just go on strike like in 2002 and 2010. ;-)
    Sammm04 wrote:

It's not fair to judge the Netherlands team by the last world cup final. I am a huge admirer of their relentless attacking (no pun intended )style and how this little country has managed to produce so many wonderful players over the decades!
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    My tip is a solid 2:1 for the Netherlands. I just can't see how van
    Persie and Robben (especially the latter) should not score.

You're looking good right now Matt Helm.

Matt_Helm wrote:
    My tip is a solid 2:1 for the Netherlands. I just can't see how van Persie and Robben (especially the latter) should not score.

Wow! You've actually got something right. Should've put a bet on that. ;-)
    Two cracking Dutch goals, go on Van Gaal! United!!! lol
    I am not sure how that was a penalty as the Dutch defender did not touch Costa, in fact he stepped on the defender and went to the ground very willing. They do remind me of the Italians of old, a lot of diving.

And Costa should be send off for that head buttish.
    And they call the Dutch dirty, Diego Costa has a real mean streak. Ref didn't see it though, so he can't be blamed.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Still 35 minutes to go however.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    SaintMark wrote:
    I am not sure how that was a penalty as the Dutch defender did not touch Costa, in fact he stepped on the defender and went to the ground very willing. They do remind me of the Italians of old, a lot of diving.

And Costa should be send off for that head buttish.

I think as a defender if you're going to launch yourself like that in the box, you're asking for trouble. Here in the UK, the pundits thought it was a penalty.

And nobody dives more than Robben!!

Dutch thoroughly deserve to be ahead now though.
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Still 35 minutes to go however.

Yeah, you're right, the Dutch might score again! They look good for it.

Matt_Helm wrote:

Wow! You've actually got something right. Should've put a bet on that. ;-)

I would be more satisfied if I hadn't predicted a 2:0 for Croatia!
    Suarez is the best diver of recent years though, and he fancies a knibble as well during the game. Tough if you look tasty.
  • Bryan Singer and Patrick Stewart gave us the two best goals so far in this World Cup.
    Crikey! Spain are collapsing, did not see this coming. Holland fired up for this.
This discussion has been closed.