It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

Now that was a Dutch masterclass! A real priveledge to watch and that is how i want to see World cup football played! =D>
  • ggl007 you should do a screenshot of all the comments that will bury Spain's chances in the next days, in case they go to the final. Because it can happen indeed :) And Nederlands can loose against Australia who knows for sure !
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sure this has already been discussed but what do people think of England's chances? Do you, like some, really believe they may not make it out of the group?
    England, Italy and Uruguay will fight for the playoff spots. I think Uruguay and England will win 'em.
    Aussies are going to get an absolute pasting here if they're not careful.
    Aussies are going to get an absolute pasting here if they're not careful.

2-0 after 13 minutes is bad.

The boys from Chili should work on the goals, it might be needed to keep out of Brasils path.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm sure this has already been discussed but what do people think of England's chances? Do you, like some, really believe they may not make it out of the group?
    England, Italy and Uruguay will fight for the playoff spots. I think Uruguay and England will win 'em.

Uruguay doing better than Italy? At least you are not swimming mainstream. Still my prediction is that Italy will be going to win the championship (much to my annoyance, since I love just about everything about Italy except their way to play football).
    I see many people refer to this as a "Dutch masterclass". But I would argue the scoreline today was more a result of bad Spanish defending. And to be fair none of the goals were particularly pretty...

Every team has a bad day once in a while, and I predict Spain will shake this of and make it out of the group. The problem is that if they do, they will face Brasil in the next round.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    jobo wrote:
    I see many people refer to this as a "Dutch masterclass". But I would argue the scoreline today was more a result of bad Spanish defending. And to be fair none of the goals were particularly pretty...

Every team has a bad day once in a while, and I predict Spain will shake this of and make it out of the group. The problem is that if they do, they will face Brasil in the next round.

Yes, the Spanish were bad, but the Dutch carved them to peices, and they were more awesome than the Spanish were awful. Also, it should have been about 8-1 anyway, so they should count their lucky stars it wasn't worse.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Sammm04 wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Yes, the Spanish were bad, but the Dutch carved them to peices, and they were more awesome than the Spanish were awful. Also, it should have been about 8-1 anyway, so they should count their lucky stars it wasn't worse.

Well, I certainly don't agree there... Spain had their chanses too, and Hoolland definitely had all the luck toinght. It's not every night you get served two easy goals out of nowhere from Casillas, Ramos and Pique mess it up together, TWICE, and one of your goals is allowed although van Persie clearly obstructed the keeper. Holland deserved the win no doubt, but a masterfull performance? I'm not so sure...
    Just watched the Netherlands/Spain game (had to record it since I was a work)

YOWZA was that entertaining. Kudos to the Dutch, they were phenomenal. It was nice to see a game that actually got me excited for the rest of the WC as opposed to the abysmal Brazil/Croatia match.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Don't mess with the Dutch.

Chile was keep Spain from advancing.
    Great Holland Spain game last night. Just the kind of football you want to see at a World Cup. I am hoping against hope that England at least provide some entertainment this evening and not the dreary kind of display we saw 4 years ago. No one really expects anything from them, so please just don't be dull!
    Getafix wrote:
    Great Holland Spain game last night. Just the kind of football you want to see at a World Cup. I am hoping against hope that England at least provide some entertainment this evening and not the dreary kind of display we saw 4 years ago. No one really expects anything from them, so please just don't be dull!

With Roy Hodgson at the helm, I fear you will be disappointed...
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 you should do a screenshot of all the comments that will bury Spain's chances in the next days, in case they go to the final. Because it can happen indeed :) And Nederlands can loose against Australia who knows for sure !
    Well, we can think in a triple draw with 6 points all (NED, CHI, SPA), in which case Spain plays the last game against the weaker team... to get lots of goals.

In other case, NED wins CHI, and SPA is second... I assure you Brasil doesn´t want this...

X(
    England v italy, now the carnival begins, :-O What a game this should be.
  • Holland well self explode as usual with their usual brand of egos and racism. They are scum.

Woy Hodgson will be lynched if he plays wellbeck and lampard or milner. the idiot will bore us, we'll go behind, and then we'll bring the kids on in the last 15 mins to save his job. He's pond scum.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,443
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8urzXqNVSiEXFs4pzRdfL7lXUjeDKRtkDReA4hLrD3PnIuUv5
    Whas Waylon there too, to give his head to Spain ;)

to be continued
    Buffon out injured, Italy losing there captain on day of game not great. Woy may surprise us, i think England Will not hold back... i hope lol
    I was just about to type that Colombia vs Greece has 0-0 written all over it...

...and then Colombia score! :D

I should get a job as an ITV pundit. ;-)
    I am glad Columbia scored first, poor defending from Greece.
    It didn't surprise me, as Colombia has one of the better attacking line ups in the competition. Rodriguez has lots of creativity, Cuadrado and Ibarbo have tons of pace on both wings, and Zuñiga and Armero are together probably the most attack minded vingback pair in the competition together with Brasil's. I hope they will get very far in this World Cup, and with Falcao they might even be an outsider for the title. That's my prediction anyway...

Edit: With Falcao they could have been an outsider for the title. Just realized its official now he will be out for the rest of the tournament...
    The match turns out much better than I had expected.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I'm enjoying all the games so far.

No doubt, England will bring it all crashing back to Earth later on tonight.

Play the kids Roy!!

Play the kids Roy!!

Hopefully Hodgson's medieval zonal defence will crack early from some brilliant Italian play, forcing the English to actually attack for a change. ;)
    jobo wrote:

Play the kids Roy!!

Hopefully Hodgson's medieval zonal defence will crack early from some brilliant Italian play, forcing the English to actually attack for a change. ;)

When we've got the likes of Lallana, Sterling and Barkley there shouldn't be any excuse for us to be so negative tonight. Watch Roy pick Milner and Welbeck instead though.
    jobo wrote:

Play the kids Roy!!

When we've got the likes of Lallana, Sterling and Barkley there shouldn't be any excuse for us to be so negative tonight. Watch Roy pick Milner and Welbeck instead though.

I'd love to see Barkley too! He is probably the least "English" player you have. ;) But we all know Hodsgon's style... Defencive 4-4-2 with a ban against all creative fluidity...
    jobo wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Play the kids Roy!!

I'd love to see Barkley too! He is probably the least "English" player you have. ;) But we all know Hodsgon's style... Defencive 4-4-2 with a ban against all creative fluidity...

No, he abandoned 4-4-2 long ago. It will be 4-2-3-1. Just depends on the personnel he chooses. He seems to love Welbeck, which the rest of the country have a hard time getting the heads round.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How is Norway doing?
    jobo wrote:
    jobo wrote:

Play the kids Roy!!

No, he abandoned 4-4-2 long ago. It will be 4-2-3-1. Just depends on the personnel he chooses. He seems to love Welbeck, which the rest of the country have a hard time getting the heads round.

You misinterpret me. Hodgsons 4-2-3-1 is basically a 4-4-2 with one of the forwards slightly deeper. The difference between the lineups are minimal in general... The point is that England will look like they always do without the ball: Two deep banks of four with zonal defence, and one "deep striker"/"advanced midfielder" pressing against Pirlo...
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'm a fan of Welbeck. Don't forget he's got goals in him for England.

Here's my choice for Italy -

Hart; Johnson*, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines; Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Rooney, Welbeck; Sturridge

* Hopefully Johnson will improve on his dreadful friendlies, now that it's a competitive game.

About one hour into the game, I'd bring on Stirling and Barkley, to give some pace, directness and inventiveness.

This discussion has been closed.