It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• 3-1 Brazil. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

like a nun drinking cider before a session of heavy love making.
    3-1 Brazil. Leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

like a nun drinking cider before a session of heavy love making.

I'll take your word for it.
    :D
    Something smells about the refereeing in this game. We've seen hosts looked upon favourably before but this was shockingly suspicious. Also, does anyone sense a bias towards Brazil on itv. The Brazilians could come out with machetes and kill everyone and the commentators would love it.
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Something smells about the refereeing in this game. We've seen hosts looked upon favourably before but this was shockingly suspicious. Also, does anyone sense a bias towards Brazil on itv. The Brazilians could come out with machetes and kill everyone and the commentators would love it.

Andy Townsend is a twat of the highest order.
    That ITV music saying the word Brazil is already getting on my nerves!
    RogueAgent wrote:

ITV are getting on my nerves. As they always do.
  • RC7RC7
    Shameful. Terrible decisions against a valiant Croatian side. There isn't a neutral celebrating that result. Incredibly disappointing.
    RogueAgent wrote:

ITV are getting on my nerves. As they always do.

Seconded my friend!
  • Defo fixed...defo a political game to appease the masses. I feel sick watching it...when are we going to get a straight match...dirty scum brazilian scum diving scum players.
    Yep. One of the dodgiest games I have ever seen. I love how the media plays it as though everyone wants Brazil to win the cup. NO THEY DON'T Adrian Chiles. Karma will bite them in the ass sometime later in the tournament.
    It was good to see the citizens of Brazil trying to assassinate Adrian Chiles. ;-)
    RC7 wrote:
    Shameful. Terrible decisions against a valiant Croatian side. There isn't a neutral celebrating that result. Incredibly disappointing.

While I agree that Croatia got a bum deal, I still enjoy them losing as I find them a team that gets physical and mean when they cannot resolve a match playing football.

So the WC football has started, tomorrow we get a repeat of the final last time, I do hope that the Dutch will walk away with a point at least. Even against better judgement.
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

While I agree that Croatia got a bum deal, I still enjoy them losing as I find them a team that gets physical and mean when they cannot resolve a match playing football.

So the WC football has started, tomorrow we get a repeat of the final last time, I do hope that the Dutch will walk away with a point at least. Even against better judgement.

Croatia didn't get physical at all. But I saw enough South American theatre. They took the game to Brazil and I can't commend them enough for that. At the end of the day, that's football, shit happens. Two of the worst decisions I've seen in football and I've seen a lot of bad calls.
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Croatia didn't get physical at all. But I saw enough South American theatre. They took the game to Brazil and I can't commend them enough for that. At the end of the day, that's football, shit happens. Two of the worst decisions I've seen in football and I've seen a lot of bad calls.

Calling it the worst decision ever could be considered a bit of drama, dis-allowed goals before the they used electronic equipment made a rather larger impact.

And why can they not use two referees? Currently the WC field hockey for men & women (2 seperate tournaments) is under way and if you see their roles they actually enhance the game. That said if they behave against the referee the way football players do they get send off for 2 minutes.

• edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

"Two of the worst decisions I've seen in football"... Wow! Talk about theater...

It wasn't a penalty, but no one can say grabbing hold of Fred's shoulder, like Lovren did, was a natural and completely fair thing to do. A cheap penalty but no "scandal". Some people should calm down a bit...
  • RC7RC7
    I said they were two of the worst decisions 'I'VE' seen in football. I'm sure others will feel differently. Neither were fouls.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Sammm04 wrote:
    Yep. One of the dodgiest games I have ever seen. I love how the media plays it as though everyone wants Brazil to win the cup. NO THEY DON'T Adrian Chiles. Karma will bite them in the ass sometime later in the tournament.

Adrian Chiles was too busy trying to get a date with Fabio Cannavaro.
    It will be interesting to see how Australia go against Chile.
    Hopefully the socceroos win but i think Chile will win 3-0.
    RC7 wrote:
    I said they were two of the worst decisions 'I'VE' seen in football. I'm sure others will feel differently. Neither were fouls.

here is one for you that is one of the all time worst refereeing

and just for fun

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Anyone remembers Korea against Italy in 2002? And moreover, against Spain also in 2002?...

And here in Spain, we all remember this match against Brazil in 86...

• RC7RC7
    @SaintMark - the reason I consider last night as particularly abysmal is the genuine absurdity of the refereeing. We've all seen challenges and incidents where the referee's view is impeded, or in some cases where they simply don't see it - perhaps it's a crafty hand-ball or a ball that has crossed the line.

Last night the ref had a perfect view of both incidents and for some unknown reason decided to taint what was an otherwise decent opening game. From a pure footballing perspective, whether it's the first game of a world cup or a Sunday league game down the park - both incidents last night should never be given. I'm sure we'll see a lot more, but how many will be as soft as these remains to be seen.
    RC7 wrote:
    @SaintMark - the reason I consider last night as particularly abysmal is the genuine absurdity of the refereeing. We've all seen challenges and incidents where the referee's view is impeded, or in some cases where they simply don't see it - perhaps it's a crafty hand-ball or a ball that has crossed the line.

Last night the ref had a perfect view of both incidents and for some unknown reason decided to taint what was an otherwise decent opening game. From a pure footballing perspective, whether it's the first game of a world cup or a Sunday league game down the park - both incidents last night should never be given. I'm sure we'll see a lot more, but how many will be as soft as these remains to be seen.

Of course both incidents are regretful and shows the stupidity of having one referee instead of two and a video referee that can be called upon.

But as long as corruption by Blatter, Platini and their gang are being more celebrated than the game what are you going to do.

And last nights penalty was bound to happen, me and several others talked about it before the match. And with Croatians physical play it was almost a certainty. And as for perfect view, that is like the supporter on 100m that sees anything better than the referee at two meters. I know that it took several viewpoints by camera's upon the situation leading to the penalty to show us tv watchers what really happened. The referee does not have such a luxury, yet I always hope.

And abysmal is a little over the top when compared to the goal that was called "the hand of God" now there is an abysmal decision. More and more I see the need for a better way of refereeing that would do the game some justice.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Of course both incidents are regretful and shows the stupidity of having one referee instead of two and a video referee that can be called upon.

Look at what's happening with rugby. Video referees being called more and more. Game is slower and slower. And yet rugby is a bit a game of stop and go at the core.

If you bring video referee to football, in 10 years it may be like american football. Game stopped for a few seconds every two minutes. An ad for the TV viewers. Some Gatorade for the players. There will be more and more players who'll have to be athletes that are very good for burst of 30 seconds, no more players of very different kind, no more players who know where to create harassment of the defense without having the ball for dozens of minutes in order to create a long psychological battle, etc, etc. This is the last sport where we can watch 2x45 minutes of almost non-stop action, why turn it into a sport for the US TV ?

Video should rather be used after the match, and it's already the case. Some players who did genuine simulation received fines or could not participate in a few games after the incident, in Champions League for instance.

Here Lovren did put his hand on Fred to move him around a bit, a video would not have solved the issue so easily, it wasn't enough for Fred to fall, but Lovren did made a mistake to act like this. What is causing stir is that the Brazilian players could continue to play a very physical game without much whistling from the referee, except in particular for a yellow card on Neymar. So here the referee was super strict against Croatian players, and for Brazil he was far less so. The referee "helped" Brazil during the whole game, not during a few seconds. A yellow card on Neymar was probably his way to say to Brazil to stop that, but it didn't work. Now, a red card on Neymar, you need serious guts to do that, he would have been criticized a lot too.

So here it means dozens of "video calls" to solve the issue, not just one. Those who think one video call is enough, means the referee knows when he's wrong : it's a paradox. If you fear a referee is being partial to a team, then how will you deal with referees who don't use video calls ?! Rugby shows us referees who want to make clear they are neutral will instead keep on calling the video referee, in order to avoid being criticized for not doing so. The game will turn into a bore fest.

@Suivez_ce_parachute

look at field hockey, the international matches are by no means slow at pace, they get to use video referral but if they are wrong they have lost it. And when the referee is not sure about a goal he can himself decide to have a peek through a video referee.

They need more immediate punishment for players, a big mouth against a referee 2 minutes or 5 minutes penalty off the field.

And a second referee with football would be a welcome addition.
  • I think all this do not mean that the results will be better for sure, but you can easily imagine the drawbacks.
    Dozens of high-level football matches have been played with five referees (1 main + 2 on the sides + 2 near each goal, to, guess what, focus on fouls that could create penalties). In Champions League for several years for instance. The consequence : less and less leadership. The main referee relies on the other referees, but the other referees often do not dare to say he's dead wrong. And any injustice feel stronger than before since now you feel several referees are against you. Now they're back to 3 referees, and the 2 sides one are there mostly because you need to be on the sides to judge the off-side line.
    As for 2 minutes or 5 minutes off-field, IMO it could very well mean you would have more and more players trying to do "clever fouls" that are worth it, to stop an opportunity. Football is a game where you can be 10 against 11 and only defend for five minutes, that's not as severe as in hockey I think.
    After the game video punishment is a good thing, though, and it does exist a bit.
  • RC7RC7
    Another terrible decision. Mexico scoring a perfectly good goal.
    RC7 wrote:

Agreed. Cameroon are s***. I expect them to finish bottom of this group. All they've cared about is receiving their bonuses.

I remember a time when representing your country was a privilege. All about the money now though.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

Agreed. Cameroon are s***. I expect them to finish bottom of this group. All they've cared about is receiving their bonuses.

I remember a time when representing your country was a privilege. All about the money now though.

I agree. It's surely the highest honour as a sports person to represent your country? One of the many negative aspects of modern football, I guess.
    Another poor decision robs Mexico of another goal.

We're only 2 games in and the officiating has been abysmal.
  • RC7RC7
    Sorry, but this is unbelievable. The officiating is just woeful.
This discussion has been closed.