DAD is Brosnan's MR (EDIT : Now including TB,SP) all the 4th film for each actor.

Comments

chrisisall wrote:
    This is nonsense. DAF is way better than either MR or DAD. This is an absolute FACT (IMHO)!

That's an oxymoron. :P
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Who you callin' a moron?!?!?!? :P
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Why is Moonraker more foul to you than DAD?
    Stupid Gadgets
    By 'stupid', do you mean implausible or just lame? DAD had as many implausible gadgets as MR, if not more. However, MR's Bondola (in hovercraft mode) and the trick coffin I consider a bit lame.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Look at this clip and tell me those special effects are good @chrisisall? :p

On the other end of the special effects scale we have:

Yeah, another Brosnan & Moonraker bash thread and all the kiddies come out and play their roles.

As MR was my first 007 movie it will always be special to me.

Whenever I hear complains about the improbabilities I always think of how many movies of the 007 franchise are any good then. Even SF has its large share of bullshit and still it gets higher rated than many a movie in the franchise.

For me Roger Moore is one of the most influential persons for the franchise and his value is proven, MR is part of that legacy.
    No,i didnt create this thread to bash Brosnan,DAD or MR.
    It was an interesting thought and the coincidence of both of these films being the actors 4th films.

barryt007 wrote:
    It was an interesting thought and the coincidence of both of these films being the actors 4th films.

I do not accuse you of anything but MR & DAD are highly controversial and due to a majority stance it seems to be allright to be extremely rude about the movies and performers.

And if you are in any way negative about SF you are just not intelligent to comprehend art or whatever. Visually MR is easily superiour to both movies and when it comes to the music MR plays in the top league. And as for Roger Moore he is a God among men. ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I suppose Drax's speech has a pretty sinister tone to it. Nonetheless I can't take those astronauts seriously with their silly helmets and yellow spacesuits.

Well it WAS 1979 dont forget...we found that trendy in those days ;)

In the 70s you also found Britt Eckland hilarious comic relief and Jimmy Savile a top entertainer for all the family. All I can say is thank bloody god I wasn't around then ;)

What has Jimmy Savile got to do with MR? Was there a special scene where he was meant to star in? Did James do it all with Jimmy?

MR the rock hard competency of Ken Adam
    DAD the madness of one of Tamahoris friends on a keyboard

SaintMark wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

I do not accuse you of anything but MR & DAD are highly controversial and due to a majority stance it seems to be allright to be extremely rude about the movies and performers.

And if you are in any way negative about SF you are just not intelligent to comprehend art or whatever. Visually MR is easily superiour to both movies and when it comes to the music MR plays in the top league. And as for Roger Moore he is a God among men. ;)

Sir Rog certainly is @SaintMark....totally ..

^:)^
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    @actonsteve. Nothing. I was just saying that there seemed to be some genuinely ridiculous things going on in the 70s. Perhaps mentioning Savile was in poor taste.

I actually said higher up in thread that MR was competently done unlike DAD. But the questionable "humour" (ie the sightgags and jaws falling in love) drags the film down.
  • What was it about the 70's through 2002 that made it so acceptable to allow this series to continue after DAF, TMWTGG, MR, DAD and the cartoonish TWINE which had lots of potential? I'm not complaining as a fan but just wondering how constant 2nd chances were given. Throughout the 90's we'd get sequels that seemed more like a parody or dumbed-down imitation of their original predecessor films. For example, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 emphasized on the ironic humor more than the fear factor which helped the first film become notorious.

Other movies like Honey We Shrunk Ourselves and the Nutty Professor 2 caused many fans of their predecessor films to never want to watch another sequel again. Neither film continued with any additional sequels. Common examples of screw ups which were noticeable include the lack of returning original characters with little to no explanation, a different style of directing which was often the result of less attention to quality accompanied by a score that featured a silly lighthearted tone. This combination doesn't blend well with some audiences. Some directors were very proud of their campy light-toned work with the blessing of their studios i.e. Joel Schumacher in his take on Batman, John Singleton relying on improvisation from less-experienced actors at the time he made 2 Fast 2 Furious.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Moonraker is easily superior...but both are pretty dumb nonsensical films.

At least Moonraker is well made.

For me I can't decide whether to put DAF or DAD at the very bottom. Both have pretty laughable special effects.

I agree re Dad and MR. MR has plenty of good bits, great sets, decent villain, music. DAD is almost unremitting awfulness. i actually thought the MR special effects were almost okay - much better space stuff than YOLT, that's for sure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote:

I agree re Dad and MR. MR has plenty of good bits, great sets, decent villain, music. DAD is almost unremitting awfulness. i actually thought the MR special effects were almost okay - much better space stuff than YOLT, that's for sure.

Too bad YOLT didn't have the wonderful Derek Meddings for miniature work.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    The spacecraft miniatures were fine. It's mainly the special effects that are seen when the Bird One spacecraft comes in to land that looks naff.
    QBranch wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    The spacecraft miniatures were fine. It's mainly the special effects that are seen when the Bird One spacecraft comes in to land that looks naff.

In 1979 it looked spectacular and it still does compared to the dodgy CGI in QoS, They did one hell of a job all that time ago.

It is difficult being young and looking at the movies of a certain age when you have been "blessed" with all that modern stuff to make movies look good.

That said I prefer the original SW trilogy easily to the OTT CGI fest that is called the prequel trilogy, the main difference being that the originals have a heart and characters everybody cared about.

DAD was indeed an excess in some parts but is no less unbelievable moments than CR, QoB or SF. They are all Bond movies.

MR was a response to the success of Scifi with Blade Runner, Star Wars, Alien & Star Trek, and they rightfully decided that it would be economically stupid not to grab some of that dosh. And they came up with a beautifully filmed movie that went OTT but still made it look good. And then Roger came back with the brilliant FYEO. Too bad Brosnan was not allowed to do that as well as he has shown so often by now that he can play a darker person. And seeing all the positives about November man I know a lot of people do know that Brosnan was capable of a lot more than EON allowed him.

MR is a brilliant document of the greatness and major blockbuster abilty that the 007 movies had in the '70-'80-s and DAD is sadly the epitaph of an actor that did great things for the franchise and deserved a decent send-off.
    SaintMark wrote:
    QBranch wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

In 1979 it looked spectacular and it still does compared to the dodgy CGI in QoS, They did one hell of a job all that time ago.

It is difficult being young and looking at the movies of a certain age when you have been "blessed" with all that modern stuff to make movies look good.

That said I prefer the original SW trilogy easily to the OTT CGI fest that is called the prequel trilogy, the main difference being that the originals have a heart and characters everybody cared about.

DAD was indeed an excess in some parts but is no less unbelievable moments than CR, QoB or SF. They are all Bond movies.

MR was a response to the success of Scifi with Blade Runner, Star Wars, Alien & Star Trek, and they rightfully decided that it would be economically stupid not to grab some of that dosh. And they came up with a beautifully filmed movie that went OTT but still made it look good. And then Roger came back with the brilliant FYEO. Too bad Brosnan was not allowed to do that as well as he has shown so often by now that he can play a darker person. And seeing all the positives about November man I know a lot of people do know that Brosnan was capable of a lot more than EON allowed him.

MR is a brilliant document of the greatness and major blockbuster abilty that the 007 movies had in the '70-'80-s and DAD is sadly the epitaph of an actor that did great things for the franchise and deserved a decent send-off.

Great post. Just made a couple of amendments.

*takes pendant hat off again* ;-)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I digress, MR has a lot to recommend it over DAD which ain't saying much.

I just don't know what the producers were aiming for with DAD. MR is basically the same film as TSWLM and with tighter editing it could have been a good entry. DAD comes off as a bad imitation, a mockery of the former greatness of the Bond franchise.
    Halle Berry an Oscar winning actress is so bad, she makes Denise Richards look like Meryl Streep. The invidisible car makes that gondola in MR look smart and ground breaking.
    The double take pidgeon shows how little they were taking this fluff serious, but DAD...they actually tried to sell us on the indivisible car and Halle Berry as an NSA agent.
    Tamahori should be bitch slapped with the celluloid.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He would enjoy it, I am sure.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    @Thunderfinger beat me to it but:

"Tamahori should be bitch slapped with the celluloid."

I'm not sure that's a punishment. ;-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great minds think.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,595
    Moonraker is leaps and bounds better than Die Another Day, and I don't even hate DAD.

DAD's last half is pretty bad. When Bond goes to space that COULD have been bad had it not been for Barry's Flight into Space. That track alone justifies the trek.

With it being Ken Adams' last film as well as Bernard Lee it feels like the end of an era. OTT fantastical, beautiful adventure. Some of the sexiest women in the entire series. Moonraker is sublime.

The first hour of DAD is really quite good as well, but the silliness in DAD doesn't work HALF as well as it does in MR - probably the tonal shift whereas MR has no misconceptions about what it is from the get-go.
    Again, OTT nonsense that takes itself seriously is preferable (for ME) to OTT nonsense that doesn't take itself seriously much at all.
    If I had been 10 or 12 the first time I saw MR (instead of 19) I might be able to cut it a certain amount of slack due to fond boyhood memories, alas this is not the case.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Again, OTT nonsense that takes itself seriously is preferable (for ME) to OTT nonsense that doesn't take itself seriously much at all.
    If I had been 10 or 12 the first time I saw MR (instead of 19) I might be able to cut it a certain amount of slack due to fond boyhood memories, alas this is not the case.

You must despise Star Wars then. ;-)
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I know that's a goof, but I don't follow. It took itself pretty seriously, but there was no real OTT nonsense... I'm missing something.
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    I know that's a goof, but I don't follow. It took itself pretty seriously, but there was no real OTT nonsense... I'm missing something.
    ;)

:))

The Force is weak with this one... :P
    chrisisall wrote:

The Force is weak with this one... :P

Stop it. You're killing me. :-)
    Stop it. You're killing me. :-)

Inadvertent Force-choke, sorry Willy. I sometimes stray to the Dark Side... :-??
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 1,595
    I suppose I can understand the viewpoint, but I just find MR to be the stronger film in almost every regard.
    I suppose I can understand the viewpoint, but I just find MR to be the stronger film in almost every regard.
    You risk a Force-choke here....